Emulators -- do you use 'em?

Online now: Bing (sucks)
I used to be a huge fan of MacMAME, and I've been thinking of getting into it again. And I discovered just now that there's an emulator for the Wii that lets you play Atari 2600 games, which got me wondering if there's a MAME emulator for the Wii ... apparently there is.

I also used to have a Commodore 64 emulator on my Mac, that was lots of fun.

How's about y'all? Use any? If so, which ones?
dv
I've got a Genesis emulator kicking around somewhere. And a C64 emulator.

For some reason, the old games aren't ever as fun as I remember.
Stella for Atari 2600 games

At some point in time, I've used some or other Apple II emulator. Oh, and a Sinclair ZX81 emulator.

And the best emulator EVER, Connectix Virtual GameStation.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I used to have nes/snes emulators on my beige g3. I have an xbox now that has just about every nes/snes/genesis/game boy/etc game on it. It's pretty fun.

I also have sheepshaver on my macbook pro for playing old LucasArts games.
Alexander Supertramp wrote:
I also have sheepshaver on my macbook pro for playing old LucasArts games.

If you know where to look you don't need sheepsaver or anything.
(search for "75 Abandonwares for Mac" -Are 75 great abandonwares games configured (using DOSBox and Abandon Loader) to your Mac!-)

If you want to play your legal copies of the games, I hear this is the best option:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11772/scummvm
Conner Of Gallifrey
SNES/NES/GameBoy/Virtual Boy/Sega Genesis/Sega Master System and Game Gear.

Also SheepShaver.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
I used to have MacMAME, a GameBoy Advance emulator, and a NeoGeo Pocket Color emulator.
dv wrote:
I've got a Genesis emulator kicking around somewhere. And a C64 emulator.

For some reason, the old games aren't ever as fun as I remember.

Old games are always as good or better than ever for the most part in my experience, however what isnt as good is the fact that I've yet to find a USB game controller that works well with old games. They all have the D-pads that recognize diagonals and other angles that arent exactly up, down, left, right and most emulation software kinda chokes when you push an oblique angle on the D pad.
What marc said.

Luckily, if your mac has Bluetooth, you can use a wiimote on it's side with, I believe it was "darwiin remote" for your custom remote needs. Worked fine for me in tetris variants, but then again I never needed diagonal
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
Phydeaux wrote:
What marc said.

Luckily, if your mac has Bluetooth, you can use a wiimote on it's side with, I believe it was "darwiin remote" for your custom remote needs. Worked fine for me in tetris variants, but then again I never needed diagonal

Does it work with the classic controller connected?
FutureDreamz wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
What marc said.

Does it work with the classic controller connected?

You know, I'm not sure. It never occured to me to check at the time. A and B and directional et al. have the same values on either so they probably work but I don't know if they added a field to X and Y and so on or not.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I have a logitech USB controller that I got for like $15 at Target - works great for SNES games.
I have this
and it suffers from all the problems I described.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Marc wrote:
I have this
and it suffers from all the problems I described.

I think that's what I have. I've yet to run into the diagonal issue you've experienced though.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Phydeaux wrote:
What marc said.

Yeah, that's a good use for it. On a non-gaming note, it also makes a good wireless presentation remote. It's just an all around handy thing to have.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
I haz some MAME. Out of the 12 roms DL'd only one works and I screwed up the input keys and can't figure out how to reset to default. :(
I wanna MAME so bad but so far the dicking around has turned me off.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
I haz some MAME. Out of the 12 roms DL'd only one works and I screwed up the input keys and can't figure out how to reset to default. :(

Delete everything, including preferences.

This can help:

http://www.appzapper.com/ (demo works 5 times)

Drag the main app to its window and it will find all the related files.

Then re-download the MAME app and try again.
Random User Sackboy's Master
I used to run MAME but I guess I've gotten bored with arcade games.
Banned User(s)
ukimalefu wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

This can help:

I'd be careful if you have an app with a generic name - I used it to uninstall Q (kju) and it deleted QuickTime.
FutureDreamz wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

This can help:

I'd be careful if you have an app with a generic name - I used it to uninstall Q (kju) and it deleted QuickTime.

I can't believe that. It shows you a list of files to delete, and you get to decide what to delete or not. I don't see how it would delete a file with a different name.
I'm sure that got fixed with an update, if it ever happened.

I never had a problem with it. Not that I use it every day, but I do have deleted a few apps with it.
dv
Well, I finally set up my laptop with Xubuntu, and DOSBox got installed after OpenOffice.

It works better than it did under Windows, :lol:
Banned User(s)
dv wrote:
Well, I finally set up my laptop with Xubuntu, and DOSBox got installed after OpenOffice.

It works better than it did under Windows, :lol:

And that's surprising... why?
Banned User(s)
ukimalefu wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

This can help:

I can't believe that. It shows you a list of files to delete, and you get to decide what to delete or not. I don't see how it would delete a file with a different name.

I never had a problem with it. Not that I use it every day, but I do have deleted a few apps with it.

Q was the third or fourth app that I deleted. I just hit OK without looking.
SpacemanSpiff Resident Gimp
FutureDreamz wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

This can help:

Q was the third or fourth app that I deleted. I just hit OK without looking.

Oh. Does this further clarify that the problem was NOT with appzapper but with.. you?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Emulators -- do you use 'em?