Kid's 'rents impose interesting condition for playing CoD

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Warin
Parents of 13-year-old say he can play Call of Duty -- if he obeys Geneva Convention

Quote:
"To remember it, it's basically common sense," says Evan, explaining the conventions while slurping a chocolate milkshake at a restaurant near the family home in Etobicoke, Ont.

"Someone surrenders and you don't just go and kill them anyways."

"I think that raises a crucial point, the fact that he's even aware of his decision," says his father, Hugh Spencer, sitting beside him.

Quote:
Mr. Spencer's experiment garnered quite a bit of chatter on technology blogs across the country after he posted his account of it on boingboing.net.

Since then, some blog comments have called it "a great example of parenting 2.0." Others have chastised Mr. Spencer for not forcing his son to get outside and exercise instead.

"This is the 21st century and [video games are] a part of the universe we live in now. They're not going to go away, and they'll overwhelm us if we surrender our morals," says Mr. Spencer, a 52-year-old museum consultant.

"I wanted to make sure he was playing on the good guys' side. And if he's not, he has to stop."

So what do we think of this?
iirc, the original version of Full Spectrum Warrior made you adhere to the Geneva Convention.

But, you know, this was XBox pre-LIVE, so no one played it.
dv
Interesting.

The games I played as a kid were too primitive - you didn't have that option.

We committed war crimes uphill both ways and we liked it.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Quote:
So what do we think of this?

What a load of BS!!! Whatever it takes to make ya sleep better, dad.
Why!?! Because there isn't any 'surrender option' or any POW camps to put captured combatants in the game.
The AI fights until it dies and always fires on sight. Period.
Now I haven't played CoD:WaW (the newest & most current) so it maybe different there.
Quote:
"I wanted to make sure he was playing on the good guys' side. And if he's not, he has to stop."

Matter of opinion and point of view. I don't think Locust or Nazis thought of them selves as 'bad guys'.

Now it is a interesting game play idea.

Last edited by lleviathann on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 pm.

dv
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Quote:

Matter of opinion and point of view. I don't think Locus or Nazis thought of them selves as 'bad guys'.

One might contend, however, that NOT following the Geneva convention would automatically put you in the "bad guy" category, regardless of other considerations.

I would also point out that the Nazis did try to follow the Geneva convention: at least with regards to soldiers from countries that had also signed. (US, UK, not the USSR.)

And who's Locus?
The Locust are the bad guys from Gears of War.

They come up from out of the ground!
Might be interesting to have it as an option in a game, now that I think of it. It'd make waging war more complicated, eh? And without the "Civilian, don't shoot!" warnings in House of the Dead; blurring the line between civilian and soldiers, Iraq-style.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Quote:
"Even in some ways just the issues that a game like Call of Duty raises are a lot more important. Like, 'What is the meaning of this war? Why did this war happen?' And how do we conduct ourselves in times of war?' "

Mr. Spencer also knew his son would play at his friends' houses if the game was banned at home, and he didn't want to provoke that kind of secrecy in their relationship.

I think that is thoughtful and involved parenting. Fantastic.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
dv wrote:
And who's Locus?

Phydeaux wrote:
The Locust are the bad guys from Gears of War. They come up from out of the ground!

Yes, sorry dropped the t. Damn laptop KB. Fixed.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
dv wrote:
And who's Locus?

Phydeaux wrote:
The Locust are the bad guys from Gears of War. They come up from out of the ground!

Did you receive a flurry of corrections via PM?
spike attempting to look on the bright side
dv wrote:
Interesting.

The games I played as a kid were too primitive - you didn't have that option.

We committed war crimes uphill both ways and we liked it.

Funny, I remember habitually nuking the human waste out of Hawaii and everywhere else in F/A 18 Korea
dv
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
dv wrote:
And who's Locus?

Phydeaux wrote:

I wasn't being snide, I was serious. I was just shocked there was some group of people in world history who could be compared to the Nazis that I hadn't heard of.
dv wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
dv wrote:
And who's Locus?

Phydeaux wrote:

I wasn't being snide, I was serious. I was just shocked there was some group of people in world history who could be compared to the Nazis that I hadn't heard of.

Yeah, isn't it kind of weird that we have to concoct new enemies and still yet they're on the level with Nazis in our popular fiction?

It's one of those things where the history is so epic in scale that it's easy to see it trickle down into all of our entertainment media. It as if somehow, someway, there'll never be another a group of people ever assembled that could be as evil as the Nazis.

It's a common theme in video games, what with our now hundreds of games set in WWII, because developers know you're going to have to shoot someone, and if it isn't monsters, it's gotta be something that no one will have outcry over to try to defend.

So, many decades later, Nazis are... safe. No longer taboo. So long as you're as inhuman in their treatment as they were to others in their time. Quite the bizarro justifiable juxtaposition.

Of course, the war was the last one within previous generations' memories that wasn't an embarrassment in the least like our conflicts in Korea, Vietnam, Cuba and the contemporary Iraq and Afghanistan. It's like an effort to brainwash my generation and younger, telling them "hey, look, we've got a purpose! It's to keep stuff like this from happening!" in contrast to the media message that they receive that the US is some sort of joke of a world police.
dv
Phydeaux wrote:
dv wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
dv wrote:
And who's Locus?

Phydeaux wrote:

Yeah, isn't it kind of weird that we have to concoct new enemies and still yet they're on the level with Nazis in our popular fiction?

It's one of those things where the history is so epic in scale that it's easy to see it trickle down into all of our entertainment media. It as if somehow, someway, there'll never be another a group of people ever assembled that could be as evil as the Nazis.

It's a common theme in video games, what with our now hundreds of games set in WWII, because developers know you're going to have to shoot someone, and if it isn't monsters, it's gotta be something that no one will have outcry over to try to defend.

So, many decades later, Nazis are... safe. No longer taboo. So long as you're as inhuman in their treatment as they were to others in their time. Quite the bizarro justifiable juxtaposition.

Of course, the war was the last one within previous generations' memories that wasn't an embarrassment in the least like our conflicts in Korea, Vietnam, Cuba and the contemporary Iraq and Afghanistan. It's like an effort to brainwash my generation and younger, telling them "hey, look, we've got a purpose! It's to keep stuff like this from happening!" in contrast to the media message that they receive that the US is some sort of joke of a world police.

Well, I wouldn't feel bad about taking on a bunch of mongols with a flamethrower either, but it wouldn't be historically accurate. Say what you will about the nazis; but they had tanks.
Phydeaux wrote:
I wouldn't be too sure of that. The nazi's weren't the worst ever, either. It's just that they were about relatively recently (living memory), and western.

.tsooJ
SpacemanSpiff Resident Gimp
Bataan Death March?
chikie The same deviled egg
or the killing fields of cambodia.
spike attempting to look on the bright side
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Kid's 'rents impose interesting condition for playing CoD