Let's talk BioShock

Online now: No visible users
It's been... what, two years since it came out or something, but I just now sat down and blew through it on easy so now I'm going back through and playing it on hard/Brass Balls Hard.

Some people complained about the story being shallow, but I honestly think that's from people who just played through the game not picking up the audio diaries. All the side characters really add to the game.

People also complained about "hacking" devices but I guess I just got so good at it that I forgot that it was a chore. Some engineering tonics later in the game balance out the difficulty that rises on it, I suppose.

I would like to poke the dog with this stick, though; Ayn Rand references abound in the game. Someone who has read those works, do they fall in line with the antagonist Andrew Ryan before everything falls apart, or does the game show how those philosophies fail? No, I was never required to read something like Atlas Shrugged so I'm just below the clown's hands for the "You Must Be THIS Smart To Enter This Discussion" sign.

Big Daddies are antagonized throughout as the caretakers of Little Sisters, but after prowling through the facilities that make them... I'm sympathetic. Killing a Big Daddy is as bad as harvesting a Little Sister morally, I feel, so why does the big moral choice lie in just deciding between saving or harvesting Little Sisters?

After beating it on Easy and saving all the Little Sisters, I thought it'd be easier on myself if I played through on hard and harvested the Little Sisters. No dice. While you get more ADAM with every harvest initially, it's the gifts that Tenenbaum sends you that help ease the game. The ability to hypnotize Big Daddies and force them to fight each other? Can't do it unless you save three Little Sisters in a row, and quite frankly, this is necessary as ammo is more scarce and the enemies have much more life. As much as the protagonist does. So after sacrificing a few to no huge benefit, I've started over and planned on rescuing all of them again. Should help, just means I've wasted more than a few hours to get back to this point.

I went ahead and played the final boss on Hard and it's quite doable with the chemical thrower throwing Napalm, Liquid Nitrogen and Electric Gel, the latter absolutely murdering him.

Honestly, with all the plasmids and special powers it reminded me of the Jedi Academy series... minus lightsabers, plus steampunk-inspired weaponry.

Anyway, I got it not last Thanksgiving but the Thanksgiving before, played a little and the Medical Pavilion was a tiring exercise so I let a buddy borrow it and didn't get it back until about a year later. I'm glad I've played through it now, and while I'm leery at the prospect of there being sequels (as many as five additional sequels according to a TakeTwo exec), the game itself was well worth playing through. Which is why I've been doing it again.
tiki Minor Prophetess
I watched Marc play bioshock a year and a half ago now, so I couldn't tell you specifics of the Randian references in there now, but I have some recollection...

Yes, they are there. Yes, they are in line with her idea of utopia. There are a lot of subtle references - images in the background that are reminiscent of artwork associated in particular with Atlas Shrugged. For example, all those posters in the background that say "Who is Atlas?", well they're a reference to a famous line: "Who is John Galt?" which is an expression of despair and hopelessness.

More directly, IIRC, the ideals of Rapture are in-line with Rand's. Which is to say an economy based entirely upon the strictest form of capitalism. Before it got all stick fiddled up of course.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
You mean a game I actually have.

Of course I have it on my PC via Steam.
I have no commentary on the game other than do not fiddlesticks with the guy who can shoot bees at you.
gozer frenchie
so far this and fallout 3 are the only games that ailene has been able to watch me play for any length of time. mostly because there was a decent story and complimentary aesthetic.

i thought it was great. the big daddies are sympathetic when you get into the manufacturing centre, but they're also more overtly antagonistic.
Marc wrote:
I have no commentary on the game other than do not fiddlesticks with the guy who can shoot bees at you.

I remember the guy in the apiary where the bees kill him and then come after you. I presume this is after that?

Hard diificulty became so much easier with having Big Daddies acting as my sort of shield.

And tonight, speaking of which, while standing back and watching a splicer go after a Rosie ("the Riveter" Big Daddy with the rivet gun; mythoughts on that tomorrow), the Big Daddy grabbed the Little Sister and slung her behind him to protect her, all the while she exclaims "wheeeeeeeeee!!!" and proceeds to giggle afterwards before slipping into her usual "kill him! Tear him apart!" sound bite. I couldn't stop laughing.
tiki Minor Prophetess
Phydeaux wrote:
Marc wrote:

I remember the guy in the apiary where the bees kill him and then come after you. I presume this is after that?

Actually, you can shoot bees at people. It's an ADAM upgrade.
tiki wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
Marc wrote:

Actually, you can shoot bees at people. It's an ADAM upgrade.

Well, yeah, it's even featured in the game's opening.

I meant a splicer that could do it. I was curious if they got the ability somewhere along the way. Marc just worded it like it was an enemy and not Jack.

Also, I thought there was a sort of gender difference between Rosies and Bouncers, but since you, spoiler, turn essentially into a Rosie, I guess that shoots that.
tiki Minor Prophetess
Aaah, Marc's making a reference to the Zero Punctuation review of bioshock. The dude claims it's the best game ever because you can shoot bees at people and you should not fiddlesticks with somebody who can shoot bees.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Just another FPS on rails what's there to talk about. EPIC FAIL NO CHAINSAW!!! :der:
I'll play GoW2 AFTER I beat this! {shakes fist}

Rails? Come on, now.
gears 2 was by far the worst game purchase I made in the last 9 months

Aweful story mode, gears 1 was better in every way, worse "vehicle fighting" and multiplayer that no one plays because l4d is the bestest ever
Marc wrote:

Aweful story mode, gears 1 was better in every way, worse "vehicle fighting" and multiplayer that no one plays because l4d is the bestest ever

Well, it's already been in my drive when I logged in once, so I'm doomed to play it.

Do let me know when you guys want to play L4D again.

I, uhm, don't have my little partner to force me to play a match anymore. :(
tiki Minor Prophetess
Aw sorry to hear that Phy. :(

We're going for trivia tomorrow night, but maybe the weekend sometime?
Conner Of Gallifrey
And I'm with you too! I was going to make a L4D thread talking about what new campaigns folks would like to see because I have some craaaaaaaaaazy ideas and wanted to post them.

Yeah, Gears2 = terrible. So lame. :\
I actually wanted to send a bill to you; because I said I was thinking about getting it and you didn't stick fiddling stop me. Ugn, what an awful stick fiddling game, I really should put it up on ebay.
Even after the online bug fixes?

Also, this thread is now about sander fuckin' cohen who just sent a ton of splicers after me for doing what he asks. Why? Because Sander fuckin' Cohen is a dick.
I played online once; the waves mode was fun enough, but basically it felt like it was L4D but without the excellent fun of pouncing on the good guys.
Marc wrote:

Watchyoutalk'n'bout Willis? We play'n the same game? Oh wait...
Marc wrote:
I played online once

There's a fair assessment.
Phydeaux wrote:
Do let me know when you guys want to play L4D again.

I've sent invites and... GET OFF DA BAND!

Yes RAILS...no different than GoW and Halo. Start here, shot the human waste that moves and end up here. Very little branching. Sigh...I'm addicted to rails. :(
Oh, I've got Brass Balls
Oh, i've got Brass Balls
Hard to get Brass Balls
Pain in the ass to get Brass Balls
Achievement whores get Brass Balls
Who else gets Brass Balls?
So that's Seriously Good At This and Brass Balls!

For 140G.
ZP Review. Done.

Phydeaux wrote:
For 140G.

Rent King Kong for a day, beat it for 1000G. Done.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Let's talk BioShock