A stupid question

Online now: Bing (sucks)
Post Reply
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
User avatar
Can you play online games cross-platform?
If I have a game on a Wii, and someone else has the same game on PS3, can we play each other online?
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
User avatar
Depends on the game.
And since you didn't mention what game it is I'm going to guess the "Larry" games, which do not.
Mac vs PC, usually yes, you can.

Wii vs PS3? I've never seen anything about it, but I doubt it. From what I've seen, Console makers don't like each other.

But I guess that technically, it is possible.

You should go to the website of the specific game you want to know about. Google is your friend.
tiki Minor Prophetess
User avatar
Well, I've asked something similar about 360 and PC, and the answer's always been no, so I'm pretty sure you're boned.
It is a stupid question, sorry duke. "All my friends have a 360" is valuable leverage when it comes to what system buyers choose for cross platform games.

PCs and the various consoles don't tie into each other in any meaningful way, maybe like leaderboards for sports games and such through a web interface at best. The consoles will never integrate into each other nor will console integrate into PC online gaming because of the differences between KB&M and a controller.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
User avatar
Yeah, that's what I figured.
I have a Wii, and Jr. has a PS3. We wanted to play World At War and NBA, but I just knew we couldn't.
Thanks.
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.

The PlayStation Network, WiiConnect24 and XBox LIVE are all wholly incompatible with each other. Doesn't matter if a publisher releases editions of a game for multiple platforms. The online services that each title would use are incompatible with communicating outside of their respective networks.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.

Well it's 99.9% accurate. Halo 2 and Shadow Run on the PC will play with the 360. But x-platform gaming ends there. DONE.
dv
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.


It does depend on the game, but only if the platforms in question are PC and Mac. :p
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.

The PlayStation Network, WiiConnect24 and XBox LIVE are all wholly incompatible with each other. Doesn't matter if a publisher releases editions of a game for multiple platforms. The online services that each title would use are incompatible with communicating outside of their respective networks.

If the developer hosted their own game server, then depending on the limitations in the consoles it is possible.
FutureDreamz wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.

The PlayStation Network, WiiConnect24 and XBox LIVE are all wholly incompatible with each other. Doesn't matter if a publisher releases editions of a game for multiple platforms. The online services that each title would use are incompatible with communicating outside of their respective networks.

If the developer hosted their own game server, then depending on the limitations in the consoles it is possible.


ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage


YOU ARE A stick fiddling IDIOT.
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
User avatar
Basically if there is a way to allow games to access the main internet like the web browsers do (either with or without using the game network as a proxy), then the respective consoles will be able to connect to universal game servers.
Basically if there was a way for me to human waste gold bricks I could quit my job too. And basically if we could just build a rocket that goes faster than light we could visit other planets and colonize them as well! Until Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are in danger of going bankrupt and have sold off all other electronic, software and hardware divisions to the neo-otter race of 2216, then there will be no console network unification.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.

Well it's 99.9% accurate. Halo 2 and Shadow Run on the PC will play with the 360. But x-platform gaming ends there. DONE.


Can you guys try not to give any legitimacy to FD when he's purposefully deviating from the stick fiddling question in order to try and salvage what reputation he has?

Duke didn't ask about PC stuff, he asked about Wii-PS3 compatibility. Of which if I got here sooner I would've had a pretty, eloquent, painless answer, but instead I get to see FutureDreamz giving a non-answer.

Let's not encourage that human waste.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
FutureDreamz wrote:
Basically if there is a way to allow games to access the main internet like the web browsers do (either with or without using the game network as a proxy), then the respective consoles will be able to connect to universal game servers.

Ah, NO! But thanks for playing.

It is technically impossible to have true cross platform gaming at this time. Each console and more importantly it's OS is proprietary to that manufacture. The networking/TCP/IP stack and the way it's handled is unique to each machine. In layman's; they physically can't talk to each other. Even if someone (software dev) wanted to build translators for dedicated servers and have cross platform games. They'd need permission (licensing) from all 3 to tamper with their proprietary (patented) OSes. None of the Big 3 will hand over their code willingly.

Phydeaux wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Depends on the game.


Oh, what the fiddlesticks. NO GTFO.

Well it's 99.9% accurate. Halo 2 and Shadow Run on the PC will play with the 360. But x-platform gaming ends there. DONE.


Can you guys try not to give any legitimacy to FD when he's purposefully deviating from the stick fiddling question in order to try and salvage what reputation he has?

Duke didn't ask about PC stuff, he asked about Wii-PS3 compatibility. Of which if I got here sooner I would've had a pretty, eloquent, painless answer, but instead I get to see FutureDreamz giving a non-answer.

Let's not encourage that human waste.

Duke got his answer before our posts. It's FFA then after. Don't make me legitimize FD by posting late incorrect answers. ;) :P
Duke, we're sorry for wasting all over your thread.

We will now publicly flog FD as a token to show how sorry we are.
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
User avatar
Have fun, with me being at minimum 800km away.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
Duke, we're sorry for wasting all over your thread.

He's a big boy :hubbahubba:
I'm sure he can handle it.


Ya know 800km just might be worth it. :evil:
FutureDreamz wrote:
Have fun, with me being at minimum 800km away.

Yeah, you can probably feel safe that you're not worth the jaunt from Toronto area to come and kick your ass.
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
User avatar
That's 3,402 km, while taking a shortcut through the states.
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
User avatar
Even going from L.A. is closer at 2,535 km
Point is the only reason why I'd go to Canada would be for Tetris and Sexings.

Of which a side trip of raging violence would be far too inconvenient for me.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
Point is the only reason why I'd go to Canada would be for Tetris and Sexings.

Of which a side trip of raging violence would be far too inconvenient for me.


Don't you think highly of yourself - I don't put out on a first date, young man!
They don't have Tetris events in New York!
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Yes, but I would be on the way to Canada-land.
spike attempting to look on the bright side
User avatar
Sort of speaking of which: if anyone has COD4 for their computer and wants to play some let me know.
Phydeaux wrote:
Point is the only reason why I'd go to Canada would be for Tetris and Sexings.


:cry:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
Point is the only reason why I'd go to Canada would be for Tetris and Sexings.


:cry:


What? You're allowed to watch when I fiddlesticks your wife.







I'M KIDDING I'M KIDDING DON'T HIT ME
You're not afraid of "filling my shoes?"
spike attempting to look on the bright side
User avatar
Not very big shoes to fill...

Sorry, you asked for it.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Fill your shoes with what!?!
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
User avatar
Nope, the only reason to go to Canada now is to kick FD's ass.

I'm coming for you.
Can I get in on this?
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Can I get in on this?

No, you'll be too busy cleaning the Jell-O out of your shoes.
Random User Sackboy's Master
User avatar
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

A stupid question