opinion urgently required

Online now: juice
which one?
42% 42% [ 5 ]
42% 42% [ 5 ]
17% 17% [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12
TOS
where do you stand on this pressing issue?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
If it was me, I'm leaning towards PS5 because VR

Both have exclusives I'd like to play. You must consider what you want to play.

BUT, microsoft is making this thing that could let you play your games on anything? Xbox, PCs, and android(except apple said no for iOS, I don't know about macs)

I don't know is playstation has something like that. BUt it's all about the games you want.

DO NOT worry about "best graphics". Both will look good.
TOS
yeah but vr adds a hell of a lot to the price, basically it's like buying two ps5s, plus last i checked the library of games that make real use of vr is pretty damn small

though apparently there's a new sony vr system coming otu that's going to have much higher resolution so who knows, it might be awesome
Well, you don't have to get the VR gear. I'd like to have that, but it's not necessary.

If you care about saving money, there seems like there will be a version of the new xbox with no optical drive, at a lower price.
sean Royal Wombat
I vote option D) Gaming PC.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I hate the PS controller so xbox.

But microsoft wastes me off with all the BS updates every time I go to play a game. I have it set to keep things updated but it never manages to do that.

Is sony any better with that stuff?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I figure if you're going with Microsoft, just get a PC. PS5 if I just want more games and no complications.
TOS
i thought the steamos thing kind of fizzled? limited selection or some such?
dv
TOS posted:

Steam on Linux is still maintained, and works great for games that support it. But yeah, some titles are unfortunately missing.

I think the streaming / Steam Link is probably the better solution to that question anyway. Cheap device, connects to your PC in the other room, good quality over WiFi. I use steam streaming on my laptop pretty regularly. (Sometimes you just want a change of scenery.)
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Linux is going to be a human waste show for consumer applications until either 1) Linus gives up his beef with creating a stable ABI, or 2) a company or group creates a stable ABI and takes up the hard work of maintaining a "new kernel to existing stable ABI" project. Which, in essence, is what Google did with Android. As long as you have to recompile all your drivers every time a new kernel comes out, Linux will remain primarily a server-only operating system. Oh, and this doesn't even get into the whole 5 different ways to package your application BS.

SteamOS was supposed to fix some of those issues by locking down the kernel, but yeah, it didn't really go very far.
wait for the reviews
TOS
maurvir posted:
Linux is going to be a human waste show for consumer applications until either 1) Linus gives up his beef with creating a stable ABI, or 2) a company or group creates a stable ABI and takes up the hard work of maintaining a "new kernel to existing stable ABI" project. Which, in essence, is what Google did with Android. As long as you have to recompile all your drivers every time a new kernel comes out, Linux will remain primarily a server-only operating system. Oh, and this doesn't even get into the whole 5 different ways to package your application BS.

SteamOS was supposed to fix some of those issues by locking down the kernel, but yeah, it didn't really go very far.

ssssh! you'll wake up pariah!
TOS posted:

SteamOS is linux based so any game on Steam that has the Linux logo will work on SteamOS
TOS
so the huge ps5 pre-order shambles suggests, it seems to me, that no one who didn't score one is going to be able to buy one till next year
juice Inadvertently correct
You should have gotten a hovercraft equipped with eels instead.
Sony will be releasing further allocation for pre order at some point before November. If you really want one, keep your eyes on the Best Buy and EB Games websites, as it will be announced ahead of time. And then be prepared to head to the store early. At our shop, the first customer who preordered started popping by to see if there was a line started around 2am. The last person in line who got a preorder arrived about half an hour before we opened.
oops, sorry, we'll make more, promise

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/19/2144 ... s-preorder

Quote:
New PS5 preorders will begin in the coming days

Quote:
Sony has apologized for PS5 preorders being a bit of a mess. “Let’s be honest: PS5 preorders could have been a lot smoother,” says Sony from the official PlayStation Twitter account. “We truly apologize for that.” Preorders for the new PS5 console began on Wednesday, a day earlier than Sony had said retailers would take orders. It led to a scramble as Walmart and others started randomly opening up their PS5 preorder slots. Some preorders even disappeared after around a minute.

Sony now says it will release more PS5 consoles for preorder “over the next few days,” promising that retailers will share more details. It’s not clear if these preorders will be delivered on launch day, and Sony is also promising “more PS5s will be available through the end of the year.”

TOS
Warin posted:
Sony will be releasing further allocation for pre order at some point before November. If you really want one, keep your eyes on the Best Buy and EB Games websites, as it will be announced ahead of time. And then be prepared to head to the store early. At our shop, the first customer who preordered started popping by to see if there was a line started around 2am. The last person in line who got a preorder arrived about half an hour before we opened.

i resent the whole damn thing
Really? Why? This is absolutely nothing new. When the PS4 and XB1 came out there wasn’t nearly enough to meet initial demand, and preorders were limited. I have been told the same applies when the 360 and PS3 came out.

The only difference is that now, the internet has become even more of a self entitled bitchfest than ever before, and so limited numbers are suddenly OMG!!!!WTFBBQ?!?!11

No one is going to die because they cannot get a new console. In the case of the new Xbox, any shiny new games for the Series X will still run on the Xbox one, as well as all of the original Xbox, 360, and One games that will still work on the Series S/X. In the PS5s case, it will still play the PS4 games.
TOS
Warin posted:
Really? Why? This is absolutely nothing new. When the PS4 and XB1 came out there wasn’t nearly enough to meet initial demand, and preorders were limited. I have been told the same applies when the 360 and PS3 came out.

The only difference is that now, the internet has become even more of a self entitled bitchfest than ever before, and so limited numbers are suddenly OMG!!!!WTFBBQ?!?!11

No one is going to die because they cannot get a new console. In the case of the new Xbox, any shiny new games for the Series X will still run on the Xbox one, as well as all of the original Xbox, 360, and One games that will still work on the Series S/X. In the PS5s case, it will still play the PS4 games.

no, i just resent the fact that a handful of people "in the know" keep getting first dibs on these things ... it just seems unfair

relax, i'm not making par's molotov cocktails and headed for corporate headquarters
TOS
by the way i'm now leaning toward a gaming pc connected to the tv and maybe a vr headset

although am i right in thinking that aaa games come out later for pc than they do on consoles?
dv
TOS posted:
by the way i'm now leaning toward a gaming pc connected to the tv and maybe a vr headset

although am i right in thinking that aaa games come out later for pc than they do on consoles?

PC ports of console titles (GTAV, RDR, etc.) tend to. Games written for PC first tend not to, which covers a lot more ground, especially if you're looking for VR games. (Bridge Commander, Elite, etc.)
dv
I'm finally getting a Switch today. (Target had them back in stock for MSRP again. Shortage sort-of-over!)
TOS
we love our switch(es)!
The PS5 Unreal 5 demo is just amazing. So I have to go with the PS5.
The amusing part about that is that the Unreal 5 engine will likely look better on the Series X than on the PS5. It has more CPU and GPU horsepower than the PS5.
Warin posted:
The amusing part about that is that the Unreal 5 engine will likely look better on the Series X than on the PS5. It has more CPU and GPU horsepower than the PS5.

Yeah but let's see what it looks like on Big Navi hardware, which will probably have twice or more the horsepower of both systems.
Emmm, the gpu architecture in the PS5 and Series X are both Big Navi.
which one?
42% 42% [ 5 ]
42% 42% [ 5 ]
17% 17% [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

opinion urgently required