to ps4 or not to ps4?

iOS, PSVR, XBone, Nintendo Switch, computer games, or even board games
TOS

to ps4 or not to ps4?

Post by TOS »

so with the whole lockdown thing, i've gotten back into gaming much more than i ever did before

i'm using my xbox one, and i'm making digital purchases -- so many discounts! -- but i'm also thinking of the ps4, which has so many exclusives

i stuck with microsoft because i had a 360, and i was always irritated by sony's exclusivity, and the price is still the price, but i might be able to swing the purchase

the question is, should i? will i regret it?

i'm not thrilled at the financial outlay, plus in theory there's a new one coming out soon

would you skip it, or go for it?
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Warin

Re: to ps4 or not to ps4?

Post by Warin »

It is worth it for Horizon Zero Dawn. Also, the Dragonquest builders series is great, but you can get those for your switch. But I wouldn't shell out for a new one, see if you can find something used.
I'm sorry Dave...
Betonhaus

Post by Betonhaus »

Idunno. I had a ps3 with the intention of playing its exclusives and it just sat collecting dust. I'd urge you to consider a Switch as it has a good sized exclusives library and Animal Crossing will keep you busy for some time.
TOS

Post by TOS »

Warin posted wrote: It is worth it for Horizon Zero Dawn. Also, the Dragonquest builders series is great, but you can get those for your switch. But I wouldn't shell out for a new one, see if you can find something used.

i'm leery of buying used consoles ... they're not much cheaper and i worry about reliability
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

If you don't have or can't afford a newer computer with a minimum 2GB gfx card, consoles are the cheaper alternative. Although I think if you already have an X-Box One its kind of redundant unless you've played all of the games on that already. Exclusives...there's already so many great games nobody could even play them all in a lifetime. Unless there's just some specific games you badly want.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

PS4 has VR

Or maybe wait for PS5? and if you don't want the PS5, the PS4 would be cheaper.
TOS

Post by TOS »

vr for the ps4 costs as much as another console, a full kit costs at least a grand

i did try it in a mall once and it was freaking amazing, but holy $hit the price
Warin

Post by Warin »

I am currently playing No Mans Sky in VR. It is pretty sweet, but after playing it in 4K on a tv, it is pretty grainy looking.
I'm sorry Dave...
TOS

Post by TOS »

really? interesting
Warin

Post by Warin »

If you think you will do VR, get a PS4 pro. The experience is less than stellar with the standard ps4
I'm sorry Dave...
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Re:

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS posted wrote: really? interesting

yeah, you can only get high res VR on a high end PC
TOS

Post by TOS »

what about the obsolescence factor, with the ps5 in the pipeline?
Alexander Supertramp
Title: this was uncalled for.

Post by Alexander Supertramp »

The PS4 is worth it just for the naughty dog games, for me.
The visuals don't hold up.
melissaazevedo

Post by melissaazevedo »

I have PS4 and I Mortal combat is my favorite game on it..However, time is coming to say good bye as PS5 is there..So, you had better think twice before buying PS4. Personally, I like Sony Play station
TOS

Re: Re:

Post by TOS »

ukimalefu posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: really? interesting

yeah, you can only get high res VR on a high end PC

apparently vr on the ps5 will have double the resolution of existing psvr