to ps4 or not to ps4?

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], Metacell
TOS
so with the whole lockdown thing, i've gotten back into gaming much more than i ever did before

i'm using my xbox one, and i'm making digital purchases -- so many discounts! -- but i'm also thinking of the ps4, which has so many exclusives

i stuck with microsoft because i had a 360, and i was always irritated by sony's exclusivity, and the price is still the price, but i might be able to swing the purchase

the question is, should i? will i regret it?

i'm not thrilled at the financial outlay, plus in theory there's a new one coming out soon

would you skip it, or go for it?
It is worth it for Horizon Zero Dawn. Also, the Dragonquest builders series is great, but you can get those for your switch. But I wouldn't shell out for a new one, see if you can find something used.
Idunno. I had a ps3 with the intention of playing its exclusives and it just sat collecting dust. I'd urge you to consider a Switch as it has a good sized exclusives library and Animal Crossing will keep you busy for some time.
TOS
Warin posted:
It is worth it for Horizon Zero Dawn. Also, the Dragonquest builders series is great, but you can get those for your switch. But I wouldn't shell out for a new one, see if you can find something used.

i'm leery of buying used consoles ... they're not much cheaper and i worry about reliability
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
If you don't have or can't afford a newer computer with a minimum 2GB gfx card, consoles are the cheaper alternative. Although I think if you already have an X-Box One its kind of redundant unless you've played all of the games on that already. Exclusives...there's already so many great games nobody could even play them all in a lifetime. Unless there's just some specific games you badly want.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
PS4 has VR

Or maybe wait for PS5? and if you don't want the PS5, the PS4 would be cheaper.
TOS
vr for the ps4 costs as much as another console, a full kit costs at least a grand

i did try it in a mall once and it was freaking amazing, but holy $hit the price
I am currently playing No Mans Sky in VR. It is pretty sweet, but after playing it in 4K on a tv, it is pretty grainy looking.
TOS
really? interesting
If you think you will do VR, get a PS4 pro. The experience is less than stellar with the standard ps4
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS posted:
really? interesting

yeah, you can only get high res VR on a high end PC
TOS
what about the obsolescence factor, with the ps5 in the pipeline?
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
The PS4 is worth it just for the naughty dog games, for me.
I have PS4 and I Mortal combat is my favorite game on it..However, time is coming to say good bye as PS5 is there..So, you had better think twice before buying PS4. Personally, I like Sony Play station
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
really? interesting

yeah, you can only get high res VR on a high end PC

apparently vr on the ps5 will have double the resolution of existing psvr
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

to ps4 or not to ps4?