The development of Crash Bandicoot

Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, oath, wellfleation
ukimalefu last throes
How Crash Bandicoot Hacked The Original Playstation

It's a cool half an hour documentary on game development and computer programming.

Quote:
Ars Technica sat down with Naughty Dog Co-founder Andy Gavin to talk about the hurdles in bringing the original Crash Bandicoot to gamers around the world. When Andy and his partner Jason Rubin made the decision to bring the action platforming genre into three dimensions, it required living up to their company ethos of “leaving no stone unturned” in the search for memory - even if it meant hacking Sony’s library code.

I loved the Crash Bandicoot games. And I played like, 3 or 4 of them, including a racing game, on my blueberry G3 iMac using Connectix Virtual Gamestation, I never had a PS1.
dv
I was probably too busy playing Escape Velocity or StarCraft, but my brother was a big fan.
I played nitro on the Gamecube but that's it. I'm playing the Spyro trilogy then maybe I'll pick up the crash games when I'm done
If you want video game documentary you should check out the one that just came out about the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series. The game that saved skateboarding in the 90s and made it what it is today with the X-Games and all.
ukimalefu last throes
Aaron_R posted:
If you want video game documentary you should check out the one that just came out about the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series. The game that saved skateboarding in the 90s and made it what it is today with the X-Games and all.

I would be very interested in that

https://thpsfilm.com/

But I will have to wait until its available where I can see it, if you know what I mean

-

there's also an upcoming documentary about midway games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OXgCmOvbQ
Yori Program
ukimalefu posted:
How Crash Bandicoot Hacked The Original Playstation

It's a cool half an hour documentary on game development and computer programming.

Quote:
Ars Technica sat down with Naughty Dog Co-founder Andy Gavin to talk about the hurdles in bringing the original Crash Bandicoot to gamers around the world. When Andy and his partner Jason Rubin made the decision to bring the action platforming genre into three dimensions, it required living up to their company ethos of “leaving no stone unturned” in the search for memory - even if it meant hacking Sony’s library code.

I loved the Crash Bandicoot games. And I played like, 3 or 4 of them, including a racing game, on my blueberry G3 iMac using Connectix Virtual Gamestation, I never had a PS1.

A much more in-depth article can be found here.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Man, I loved those games. Soundtrack by DEVO (musik mutato, who does half the soundtracks on kids and late-nite TV. Les Claypool does the other half).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The development of Crash Bandicoot