Problems With Steam (Maybe)

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Civ 6 crashes all the time for me. All. The. Time.

I think it's my computer. When I use the other computer at home there's no problem.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times to no avail. Still crashes.

Today I booted up in Safe Mode and Steam ran so slowly I couldn't even tell it was running. I'd click something and it would take 20 seconds to respond.

Is there an easy way to remove Steam and all its associated files so I can try a clean reinstall of everything? Do you have any other insights that may be helpful for troubleshooting?

OS X 10.15.1, but it was happening in 10.14.x, too.
500GB SSD with half the drive free
40GB ram
dv
Steam should be self contained in the app in the Applications folder.

It's likely a Civ 6 problem, not a Steam problem. Steam is just the launcher.

What GPU do you have? 40GB is a weird number; is this a HackPro?
You're a weird number. :mad:

It's a 2015 27" iMac.

Memory slots are 4GB, 4GB,16GB, 16GB. (edit: I could go up to 64GB, but it's 300 bucks I don't have at the moment)

I switched over to my admin account and played a full game just fine. I'm thinking it might by the user account on the computer.
dv
Yeah, that sounds interesting. Either something in the account that's bad, or a permissions issue.

What does the Console.app say? (Is Civ6 logging anything, like a file access error or something?)
There are crash logs a-plenty, but I've no clue how to read them.
dv
Can you put them in a pastebin for us to read?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Steam sucks and I hate it. But if I choose a mirror that won't connect (like LA), I can start in offline mode and instead of trying to download 10GB of updates, I can just start my games.
dv posted:

Tomorrow, yes. Tonight I'm stuck at school until 7pm then I have a rehearsal until 9pm. :goth:
dv
C. Ives posted:
dv posted:

Tomorrow, yes. Tonight I'm stuck at school until 7pm then I have a rehearsal until 9pm. :goth:

Gross. Rock on!
There seems to be an issue with my user account.

If I play in the Admin account it's fine. Also, the internet speed is slow, but only in that account.

I tried deleting the account in Users & Groups and remaking it, but the problem persists.

I think I just need to make a clean user account and slowly move over old settings, docs, etc.
That sounds like there something in your startup list. I don't know where it is on macOS, but check to see what's set to run when you log in. Maybe some sort of anti-virus?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Betonhaus posted:
That sounds like there something in your startup list. I don't know where it is on macOS, but check to see what's set to run when you log in. Maybe some sort of anti-virus?

It's in System Preferences/Users & groups/Login Items
Nothing in the Login items.

Anyway, I made a new User profile for myself and deleted the old one. Worked like a charm. We'll see what happens.
Okay, I lied. Just crashed.

https://pastebin.com/FeDrKXPA

I've never done a pastebin before, so hopefully this is how it works.

Edit: And another one. https://pastebin.com/uR2WJCj5
dv
Cursory googling shows a lot of people with that "no mapping for user data write" error starting with OS X Catalina, StarCraft 2 had the issue and it was alleviated by dropping the graphics settings and forcing an OpenGL renderer.

So it's probably Civ6 doing something stupid with Metal that the admin user can recover from and the mere mortal user account can't.
Possibly. But I was having the same issues before I upgraded to Catalina, while using Open GL, and with dropping settings (I googled the same things). I think it's just buggy as fiddlesticks, and as much as I enjoy the game I'm more or less stuck in single-player mode.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Problems With Steam (Maybe)