Old-skool hex strategy games

Online now: No visible users
Once upon a time I loved the game Allied General, and many more like it. Growing up hex games were plentiful, using maps and cardboard pieces, and playing them on computers was grand.

And lately I've gotten so I'm missing 'em. Presumably a game that came out when OS9 was still swimmin' 'round in Steve's balls won't even begin to work on my Intel iMac no matter what I do, so I guess I can forget about all those old games.

But does anyone still make games like this? Or am I human waste outta luck?
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
SOL I guess.

I mean the games you speak have grown into the current crop of RPGs, RTSs & FPSs.

Wiki:
SSI was acquired by Mindscape in 1994, spent time as part of Mattel, and finally became part of Ubisoft (in March 2001), which has since retired the brand name.
Wiki SSI Link
Am I correct in assuming that a game made for 7.5 can't be played in Leopard?
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
Unless it is a Carbon app.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

Try an emulator.

http://www.freemacware.com/sheepsaver/

You need to be "creative" about the "old Mac rom".
Yeah, that's neat, but there's zero chance I can get my hands on those old games unless I buy the old CDs from somewhere, and I wouldn't know how to turn it into a ROM anyway.
ukimalefu wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

Try an emulator.

I hate that human waste about 'finding' your own mac rom, I can't seem to find a way to get it, guess i'm just looking in the wrong places
Banned User(s)
Marc wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

Try an emulator.

I hate that human waste about 'finding' your own mac rom, I can't seem to find a way to get it, guess i'm just looking in the wrong places

The best way I found is to set up Mini vMac, then use the ROM extractor to extract the ROM for answer computers for newer OSs
I dont even know what you just said.
He thinks you should get a Blackberry.
Banned User(s)
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
He thinks you should get a Blackberry.

Nah, Mini vMac for Blackberry is still in beta.
Banned User(s)
Basically the best way to get a new world ROM is to use Apple's ROM updater, which is unfortunately requires a Classic Mac OS to extract, and that's where Mini vMac, a Mac Plus emulator, comes in; because it has roms more easily found, but doesn't support running 7.5 iirc.
I think Apple has most of its pre-9 operating systems available for download ...
FutureDreamz wrote:
Basically the best way to get a new world ROM is to use Apple's ROM updater, which is unfortunately requires a Classic Mac OS to extract, and that's where Mini vMac, a Mac Plus emulator, comes in; because it has roms more easily found, but doesn't support running 7.5 iirc.

and this is where I get stuck
Banned User(s)
And that's why I recommend setting up mini vMac. Mac Plus ROMs are just a few google searches away.
a mac plus ROM isnt gonna help me run human waste that required OS 9 if I remembered correctly.
Banned User(s)
Make up your mind. do you want OS 7.5 or OS 9
because I now have 7.5 working in Mini vMac, and I'm currently uploading a completely set up copy.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
The only one of the hex games I ever had was Reach For the Stars (IIGS version) from SSG.
Banned User(s)
Mini vMac running 7.5
just launch the app then drag the MacHD.dsk onto the app.
FutureDreamz wrote:
Make up your mind. do you want OS 7.5 or OS 9
because I now have 7.5 working in Mini vMac, and I'm currently uploading a completely set up copy.

I dont believe I ever insinuated I wanted a specific one before this :shrug: but yes I had a few games from the 9 era I'd love to be playing but cant; 7.5 wont do it.
Banned User(s)
I can get the ROM, but you have to supply your own OS.
an os 9 install disk or folder or whatever, thats not that tall an order that I can find; clear instructions that dont say "Go out and find this somewhere" now thats useful human waste.
moff moff Super Happy Fun Time
i pooped my pants...
If you do get the emulator working, try an abandonware site. They don't have Allied General, but they have a lot.
Yeah, I've seen the games I want available in DOS, but they're so old they won't even work in Windows XP.
1) Find a PC Abandonware site (not hard, search for "download abandonware" on Google).

2) Find an abandonware loader (just search for "abandonware loader" on Google).

3) Enjoy oldschool DOS games!
Dan Airman Dan
Military Madness for the TurboGrafx-16. I still play it to this day. I bought a TG16 off eBay to play it (and Bonk and Raiden). I have it on my brother's Wii when I go visit as well.
chikie The same deviled egg
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Yeah, I've seen the games I want available in DOS, but they're so old they won't even work in Windows XP.

dosbox d00d
Banned User(s)
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

I thought XP was based on NT instead of DOS?
chikie wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

dosbox d00d

Yeah, I tried that but it didn't work. Maybe the SSI games I've got were made for Win95.
user Stupid cockwomble
Go pick up an old computer for change somewhere.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Old-skool hex strategy games