Nintendo Switch Lite

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Doesn't plug into the TV, can't detach controllers (but can use external wireless controllers), costs less, it's smaller.

https://www.wired.com/story/nintendo-switch-lite/
Yori Program
That's the one Jem and I have been waiting for. We don't need the detachable controllers or TV connectivity. We just need something to replace the 3DS.
Yori posted:
That's the one Jem and I have been waiting for. We don't need the detachable controllers or TV connectivity. We just need something to replace the 3DS.

That'd been neat and they would sell alot more units if they integrated a 3ds cartridge slot into this (I'd get it release day if it did, missed opportunity Nintendo).
Yori Program
Not sure how that'd work though. Adding DS compatibility to the 3DS was a no-brainer as they both have dual screens. How would you do it on the Switch, and especially on the Switch Lite that has non-removable controllers?
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:
Doesn't plug into the TV...

Doesn't that kind of defeat one of the big selling points of the Switch? That it's both portable and TV-able?
That would be why the Lite isn’t intended to replace the Switch, it’s intended to replace the 3DS line of handhelds.

I will likely buy one on release day because it is $120 cheaper than the regular switch, and I have absolutely no interest in hooking it to the television.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
sean posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Doesn't that kind of defeat one of the big selling points of the Switch? That it's both portable and TV-able?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/11/2069 ... ent-market
gd Hero of Twilight
sean posted:
ukimalefu posted:

To me it does defeat the purpose, but I can see this being great for children that carry their Nintendo around when being taken by their parents to the pediatrician.

What I love about the Switch the most is that I can play Breath of the Wild in my room when the one TV at home is already in use, and then I can just pick it up and take it to a get-together and have 6 of us playing Smash Ultimate while we await the pizza and drink some beers. We can even take it to the university after hours and simultaneously hook it up to the 46 monitors in our lab and host tournaments for Mario Kart or Smash.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I love my switch, but I don’t even have the dock set up right now. It occasionally gets used for party games, but I’m willing to bet there are a lot of people in a similar situation where the extra $120 is better used somewhere else.

That being said, I like the size of the switch screen, (if only it were higher resolution)
Nintendo seems to like using the absolute oldest screen tech it can get away with. Usually stuff that, resolution wise, is 20-25 years and old. Which means the next generation switch will likely have a1920x1080 screen.
Warin posted:
Nintendo seems to like using the absolute oldest screen tech it can get away with. Usually stuff that, resolution wise, is 20-25 years and old. Which means the next generation switch will likely have a1920x1080 screen.

There's a great book called "Super Mario" about the history of Nintendo and of Mario. In it they talk about the Game Boy and the decision to use a screen that was absolutely way out dated. They did that to meet three specific objectives: 1) Long battery life, 2) Lower price to consumers, 3) Every system they sell must make some level of profit on the device, something only Nintendo has ever consistently managed. It also meant the screens were really easy to get.

That's a philosophy they've carried forward. With the notable exception of the Nintendo 64, their their philosophy has been fun over power, and use older tech to keep prices down.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Using older tech to keep the prices down is fine, and the case of the GameBoy shows that it can work. Even though it sucked having to use a flashlight to play in the dark, those things would last forever on a pack of batteries.

The same is true of using a 1080p screen today. It looks just as good, but won't draw near the power a larger panel would.
But apparently the 720p panel costs less, and maybe uses even less power. Plus, driving the 720p panel definitely uses less power.
Don’t get me wrong, using older tech is often a great way to bring down the cost of a device, but Nintendo brings down the cost of manufacturing without a similar drop in the cost to the consumer.
They aren't willing to sell subsidized hardware. Best estimates I can find of Switch production costs are around US$260, according to Nintendo Life and Game Rant, both citing a report by a Japanese firm. I've separately read that Switch costs run higher because Nintendo doesn't put in large enough orders for flash memory to get the pricing that larger users like Apple do.

I mean, $70 profit per unit is not shabby at all, and that likely has grown since release, but we aren't talking about the kind of margins that, say, Apple sees.
Not to mention that the chipset is optimized to output 1080p when docked and downclocks itself when unplugged. Using a 1080p screen again means the chipset would have to consume more power in portable mode, which wouldn't be good for battery life.

And the thing just barely handles games like BotW as it is.
TOS
i'm hoping to get one for the kids so they can stop fighting over the switch (and maybe give the old man a turn once in awhile)
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Betonhaus posted:
Not to mention that the chipset is optimized to output 1080p when docked and downclocks itself when unplugged. Using a 1080p screen again means the chipset would have to consume more power in portable mode, which wouldn't be good for battery life.

And the thing just barely handles games like BotW as it is.

My issue with the screen is that it’s the only portable screen I’ve ever needed my glasses on. Part of that is due to many games not being optimized for portable play, but it would have been helped by a nicer one.
This doesn't apply to the Lite model, but Ars Techinca advises that anyone in the market for a Nintendo Switch should wait "in the US in mid-August and in Japan in late August" because the newer model HAC-001-01 should be released by then which will feature batteries which will last at least 1/3rd longer than the current HAC-001 model.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:
This doesn't apply to the Lite model, but Ars Techinca advises that anyone in the market for a Nintendo Switch should wait "in the US in mid-August and in Japan in late August" because the newer model HAC-001-01 should be released by then which will feature batteries which will last at least 1/3rd longer than the current HAC-001 model.

The new switch should have been better labeled as a version 2.0. Sneaking it in like this is guaranteed to human waste people off. That does seem to be the Nintendo way, though.
I don't see how they can call it 2.0 when the only change is the battery. Maybe EP or something.
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

The new switch should have been better labeled as a version 2.0. Sneaking it in like this is guaranteed to human waste people off. That does seem to be the Nintendo way, though.

I think announcing it as a new model will human waste more people off, as it seems that Nintendo is trying to shove a minor upgrade down the throats of those who already bought the V1.

I have no reason to replace my current switch for either the Lite or the V1.1
Got a Lite today. It is FABULOUS. It is significantly lighter than the OG Switch, feels really good in the hands, and supports the vast majority of games. And I don’t care that I can’t play Mario Party or 1-2-Switch.

Also, the 1.1 switch doesn’t have a larger battery. It has a more efficient processor.
TOS
what colour'd you get?

more to the point: is it possible to do multi-unit multiplayer like you could with the ds?
Yellow. And multiplayer is whatever the developers support. I believe the switch can build an ad box network for multi switch players if the games support it, but I could be wrong.
TOS
hm, interesting

and i want the yellow one too!
TOS posted:
what colour'd you get?

more to the point: is it possible to do multi-unit multiplayer like you could with the ds?

As far as I know, it depends which DS multiplayer function you are asking about.

Local wireless (the name for this on the Switch) without a wifi network should be a yes, if the game supports local wireless. Lots do. Also, if one person has installed an update to a game and other they want to play with via local wireless have not, their games can be updated via the ad hoc connection.

The other major DS feature was download play, where for some games a second (or third or fourth) player doesn't have to buy a copy of the game to play multiplayer. Frankly it was underutilized on the DS, with not many games supporting it and most only doing so in a limited way. But when it was supported, it was awesome. In fact, it was why I bought a DS in the first place (so I could play with my brother and sister via download play).

This feature isn't supported. In theory a company should be able to make a free version of a game on the shop that only can do multiplayer with a paid copy, but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this.
dv
I'm going to need to buy one of these eventually... Pokemon calls me...
dv posted:

It's the same game over and over again, not even with updated graphics or game engine. It's like Nintendo's NBA games
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

It's the same game over and over again, not even with updated graphics or game engine. It's like Nintendo's NBA games

You're just jealous because Satoshi Tajiri likes me more than you.
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

Considering that the only reason why I can think of that this guy likes you is that you buy his games, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that statement.
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:

Considering that the only reason why I can think of that this guy likes you is that you buy his games, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that statement.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Nintendo Switch Lite