google stadia: thoughts?

Online now: juice, ukimalefu
TOS
some info

game via streaming, like netflix

comes out in november, promises 60fps at 4k (depending on your connection)

the "founders edition" costs $169 up front, then $12 per month (there's a free version too) ... i guess it's like a combination of netflix and steam?

it comes with chromecast and a controller

i'm not sure how complete their games list is, but it doesn't knock my socks off, though i do like the idea of playing across multiple devices ... well, multiple google devices

anyway, what do you guys think of this?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I think it will be great, right up to the point where Google gets tired of it and axes it because it didn't kill Sony and Microsoft outright.

Oh, and it will eat your bandwidth for lunch, so you had better be on an unlimited connection.
TOS
i dunno, their specs indicate you only need 10-20 mbps to get hi-def gaming, and that's pretty undemanding
TOS posted:
i dunno, their specs indicate you only need 10-20 mbps to get hi-def gaming, and that's pretty undemanding

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/6/186552 ... -bandwidth

Also, keep in mind that you will be streaming that much the entire time you are connected. It won't take much play time before you blow through a data cap - at least in the US. Fortunately, I suspect Google will get tired of the project before it gets too out of hand.
TOS
maurvir posted:
I suspect Google will get tired of the project before it gets too out of hand.

well, i mean that's assumed
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Dammit I already came up with this idea and they just stole it.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Back then, people were bright enough to say hell no.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... should-be/

Quote:
The ISPs have a strong history of staying ahead of consumer trends and if you look at the history of data caps in those small number of markets—and it's actually a relatively small number of markets that have [data caps]—the trend over time, when music streaming and download became popular, especially in the early days when it was not necessarily legitimate, data caps moved up. Then with the evolution of TV and film streaming, data caps moved up, and we expect that will continue to be the case.

:lol:
that can happen

what also can happen is "not enough" and "higher prices"
You'd be a fool to buy into this product. At the rate software and hardware is terminated at Google, good luck with your investment.
I understand you won't need the hardware, only the software.

It should work on your phone or laptop, with a gaming controller you already have.
Google says Stadia games will remain playable even if publishers stop supporting the platform

Quote:
“Once you purchase the game, you own the right to play it. In the future, it is possible that some games may no longer be available for new purchases, but existing players will still be able to play the game,” the Stadia FAQ page reads. “Outside of unforeseen circumstances, Stadia will aim to keep any previously purchased title available for gameplay.”

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
maurvir posted:
Back then, people were bright enough to say hell no.

We're they? We're they, though? Because I think they may have said "Hell YES!!" instead.
I remember seeing that concept in the 80s and totally thinking hell yeah. Of course, I spent a HUGE amount of money in 1990 and 91 dialling long distance into a BBS in Vancouver run by a computer store called Doppler. Like, hundreds of dollars in long distance fees.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

google stadia: thoughts?