When I was growing up, my mom never let us have video games-

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
obvs precoupado
When I was growing up, my mom never let us have video games, so I never got a chance to get good at any of them, and never learned how the ecosystems around games worked. I've really kind of avoided them because I was confused.

So what I'm wondering is, I know a lot of people here have various game systems. I would assume that a whole bunch of people have Nintendo Switch, but how would I add you people? I am completely clueless about this.
macnuke Afar
when i was growing up.... my best friend and I traded back and forth... one week he got the hat, holster and capgun.. and I had the feathered headdress and a bow. the next week we traded.
we had a party line for a phone.
and we got 2 channels on a 12" black and white tube tv. and that tv took 5 minutes to warm up and stabilize the picture.
my first video game was an intellivision.
haven't bought into the consoles since.
obvs posted:
When I was growing up, my mom never let us have video games, so I never got a chance to get good at any of them, and never learned how the ecosystems around games worked. I've really kind of avoided them because I was confused.

So what I'm wondering is, I know a lot of people here have various game systems. I would assume that a whole bunch of people have Nintendo Switch, but how would I add you people? I am completely clueless about this.

We do usually have a "post your gamertag/friend code/etc" thread for ezch system here, just post to that and we can add you or create a new one and we'll repost our IDs. Meeting up to play online games may be tricky as we'd need to plan out scheduling, but if you get a Switch I guarantee you will be busy with Zelda for a while.
obvs precoupado
I've had a Switch. I bought it last year.

I've just never used the social aspect of video games, aside from having someone sitting right there with me.
Sadly, Nintendo has almost zero understanding of building a solid network. Friend codes are abjectly stupid, and add a layer of nonsense to adding your friends. I was hoping they would do better with the switch.

That being said, it is worth the effort. Gaming with your friends is loads of fun!
TOS
Warin posted:
Sadly, Nintendo has almost zero understanding of building a solid network. Friend codes are abjectly stupid, and add a layer of nonsense to adding your friends. I was hoping they would do better with the switch.

That being said, it is worth the effort. Gaming with your friends is loads of fun!

i get the sense that nintendo hates the "i stick fiddled your mamma for a bitcoin" aspect of online interactions and have therefore made it harder to connect

obvs, which games were you thinking of playing?
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
My first online multiplayer video game was Marathon, or Aleph-One to be specific, the open source version that actually supports online multiplayer. I haven't played in a long time, but last time I played, there wasn't a central server, only a chat "lobby" (is that what they're called?) One of the players would have to host a game, his computer would be the server others would connect to, and this "game host" had to add players to the game manually, so no random people would join. So basically, all games were private.

Sometimes you just added whatever player was around because it was, and still is, a small community.

Games don't do that anymore? private online multiplayer?

The disadvantage is that if your friends aren't available you have to wait for them or not play.

Nintendo could do that, a friends only option. If someone is not in your friends list they don't get to play with you. IN fact, all systems should have that option.
dv
obvs posted:

Ever play MineCraft? I could spin my rig back up and host a MacStack server.
obvs precoupado
Is this outside of the Nintendo Switch? Like gaming on the computer?

I've never played much of any video games except for a few on the NES and SNES, then the Portal games, and some of the Mario Kart and Super Mario games on various Nintendo systems(including my Switch).
dv
obvs posted:
Is this outside of the Nintendo Switch? Like gaming on the computer?

I've never played much of any video games except for a few on the NES and SNES, then the Portal games, and some of the Mario Kart and Super Mario games on various Nintendo systems(including my Switch).

It's cross platform. Pretty sure the Switch version can talk to the linux server version, but don't have a switch to test.
obvs precoupado
I'm not sure how "setting up a server" works in regard to gaming, because I don't know what aspects of things aren't handled by Nintendo themselves.

#totalgamingn00b
dv
obvs posted:
I'm not sure how "setting up a server" works in regard to gaming, because I don't know what aspects of things aren't handled by Nintendo themselves.

#totalgamingn00b

It looks like you need the "Bedrock Edition" for Switch:

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bedrock_Edition

Then you just click "connect to network game" or something similar and enter my IP/port. (Once I have a server running.)

It's peer to peer at that point. Not handled by Nintendo.

It's been a while since I tinkered with this - I really should figure it out first on my end.
TOS
feel free to set up that minecraft server, my 8-year-old will smoke your casual ass homie
dv
So it has been a while - my Mojang account was hacked in 2017 and somebody redeemed my Windows 10 upgrade code.

If I can get that back I'll probably just subscribe to a Realm, since the standalone server is integrated into the client now (which means it won't happily run on my server.)

Changes, changes, changes.
Use your computer and play WoW ;)
There's plenty of us here that'll help you get started and join in groups.
Kirk posted:

I'm soooooo tempted to jump back in with Classic, and get my wife into it. But monthly fee x2... eeek...
macaddict4life posted:
Kirk posted:

I'm soooooo tempted to jump back in with Classic, and get my wife into it. But monthly fee x2... eeek...

My suspicion is that despite the (in part) excited talk in the in-game WoW chat channel about WoW Classic is that there will be an initial wave of current players who will give it a try but in less than a week there will be in that chat channel complaints from returnees about how THIS aspect changed and how THAT was not nearly as fun as they remember it being.

I began playing nearly at the end of the Burning Crusade update and within a few months of the start of Wrath of the Lich King update so I do not have any memories of Classic.
macnuke Afar

the game was making it work again and sound right.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
macaddict4life posted:
Kirk posted:

My suspicion is that despite the (in part) excited talk in the in-game WoW chat channel about WoW Classic is that there will be an initial wave of current players who will give it a try but in less than a week there will be in that chat channel complaints from returnees about how THIS aspect changed and how THAT was not nearly as fun as they remember it being.

Already happened. People were complaining about the old, kinda-broken mechanics that they didn't remember being so frustrating.
dv posted:
DEyncourt posted:
macaddict4life posted:
Kirk posted:

Already happened. People were complaining about the old, kinda-broken mechanics that they didn't remember being so frustrating.

Yeah, those were only those players bothering to try the Alpha test (who are always a tiny minority).
While not at all purely WoW Classic, I do have recent experiences with starting anew.

I moved most of my characters from one server to another, essentially moving all of my Horde (one faction) toons while leaving behind my Alliance toons. It was such that in order to do any in-WoW mail to my friend I had to create a new Horde toon back on that my old server. I took that one Horde toon straght out of the starter zone into the nearest city so he could access a mailbox.

Just this past week I decided to work on those lower level toons that I had left on my old server, so with the considerable advantages of Heirloom gear (explaining this is too involved for non-players AND presumably will NOT be available in Classic) I started working those Alliance toons plus that lone Horde toon. Since I cannot send any mail between MY servers, that Hordie is at a considerable disadvantage because I cannot send him any gold or other stuff that my wealthy main toons have on that other server. I actually had to run him back to the starter zone just to get some basic gear and enough money to buy SOME stuff (though I keep on reaching for items for sale from vendors like a 14-slot bag which costs "only" 3 gold to find that he cannot afford even one of these).

My three Alliance toons at least have a relatively wealthy 120 toon who can give them at least 100 gold each which will more than pay for everything they need at their levels (17th, 19th, 28th).
I created a toon on the WoW Classic test server that was up for all of 48 hours and got it to the cap, which was level 15. We got a group together, fought out way to the Deadmines dungeon entrance and got to the third boss before the server was shut down. I'll probably do a druid bear (tank) as my first toon when Classic starts up in August.

Things I'd like Blizzard to bring into Classic from current version of WoW:
1. Druid in bear (tank) form need to be able to drink healing potions. I tried and the game said I couldn't while shape shifted. Really, Blizz?
2. Add in the extra flight points. Goldshire and other areas without flight points just seems wrong.
3. Add the extra mail boxes. Everybody crammed next to the one near the bank is silly.
dv
Okay, minecraft realm set up. PM me if you're interested.
We didn’t have money to get them in my family. I enjoyed playing Nintendo at my friends houses, Super Mario Bros, Crystallis, etc. I didn’t have one at home until I got married and she had Nintendo and Super Nintendo. And in about a year after that the N64 came out. That’s really when I started playing. Zelda, Turok, Goldeneye. All the other Rare games. Got the Cube and played Metroid on it. I didn’t get an Xbox, but did when the 360 came out along with Oblivion. Then Skyrim. Then Xbone, still mostly Skyrim. Got a PS4 to play Last of Us.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

When I was growing up, my mom never let us have video games-