Bioware's Anthem

Online now: Google [Bot], Pariah, Vulture
maurvir Meat popsicle

Not sure I'm sold on the premise. While I occasionally like multiplayer gaming, more often than not I want the option to go do my own thing. This looks like it might support both, but it's not clear how important the MP aspect will be.
TOS
*cough*fallout76*cough*
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
TOS
really? i was thinking the opposite ... seems like just another multiplayer shooter to me
don't preorder, make your decision after seeing real gamer reviews
You do understand that there are a LOT of people that love online multiplayer, right? And not every game made needs to cater to the single player only story driven game players, right?

I love Battlefield V. I routinely play with friends from elementary school that I played Atari 2600 and Intellivision with in the late 70’s and early 80’s. We enjoy being able to play together in spite of geographical distances.

Some people don’t like JRPGs, or action RPGs, or 1st person shooters. I don’t really care to criticize the games they like. But there seems to be people who, if they don’t get exactly what they want, can’t help but spend time kvetching about it.

As for Anthem, I am going to try it out this weekend. As I like online shooters, I am hoping it is as good as it looks.

Also, never preorder a game you aren’t sure about digitally. If you want the preorder bonuses go to your local game store. Because you can always cancel your preorder... and in Canada at least, EB Games does 0 dollar preorders, so you can cancel and not have to return to the store for a refund on your deposit.
Betonhaus posted:

good advice
maurvir Meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

good advice

This is good advice for EVERYTHING. This whole pre-order crap has allowed publishers to get away with dropping turds in the punch bowl with the promise of netting them out later. Which, of course, never happens.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

good advice

too bad many reviewers are full of crap
they have a demo of the game THIS weekend, so you can try it
I don't know if the game will be good, but I want to watch this movie (it's just an ad... I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wka5RovFEo8

Quote:
From Neill Blomkamp, Oats Studios and BioWare comes a live-action trailer of survival set in the world of Anthem, decades before the events of the game.

maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

good advice

This is good advice for EVERYTHING. This whole pre-order crap has allowed publishers to get away with dropping turds in the punch bowl with the promise of netting them out later. Which, of course, never happens.

Game Preorders are the least of the AAA gaming industries problems atm.

You have season passes which is the preordering of stick fiddling dlc.

You have publishers now selling morons multiple season passes for games.

You have on top of game preorders, gullible idiots which are paying publishers to become QA team members (beta/early access scheme).

You have games releasing with 8 different editions that require a stick fiddling spreadsheet to figure out what content you aren't getting in your game version.

You have game content/features from past established franchises now being ripped out and gated behind paywalls.

You have a stick fiddling gacha gambling system in games now (minus Belgium), which due to laws (in China and the Netherlands) have only recently started to disclose the abysmal payout percentages they utilize (& they still insist their is no wrong doing with their weaponized Gambler's and Sunk Cost Fallacies).

You have your microtransactions (& the above gambling) being gated behind a made up fantasy currency to hide the real cost to the player & to skirt the above law in China since you aren't gambling with real money, you are using a fake currency that according to them holds no real world value (Bethesda recently goofed up and admitted it did via Fallout 76 by offering those morons who purchased a canvas bag edition in game currency as compensation for ***DRUM-ROLL*** real world monetary compensation).

You have actual AAA games purposely being made grindfests from the get go to not be an enjoyable experience unless you purchase microtransactions (the pay to not play scheme).

You have games selling 7 MILLION Copies being deemed failures from the publisher.

You have publishers laying off their workforce to make up the above failure instead of setting realistic goals and/or cutting back the million+ payroll of the executive (like Iwata gracefully did).
dv
Aaron_R posted:
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

good advice

Game Preorders are the least of the AAA gaming industries problems atm.

You have season passes which is the preordering of stick fiddling dlc.

You have publishers now selling morons multiple season passes for games.

You have on top of game preorders, gullible idiots which are paying publishers to become QA team members (beta/early access scheme).

You have games releasing with 8 different editions that require a stick fiddling spreadsheet to figure out what content you aren't getting in your game version.

You have game content/features from past established franchises now being ripped out and gated behind paywalls.

You have a stick fiddling gacha gambling system in games now (minus Belgium), which due to laws (in China and the Netherlands) have only recently started to disclose the abysmal payout percentages they utilize (& they still insist their is no wrong doing with their weaponized Gambler's and Sunk Cost Fallacies).

You have your microtransactions (& the above gambling) being gated behind a made up fantasy currency to hide the real cost to the player & to skirt the above law in China since you aren't gambling with real money, you are using a fake currency that according to them holds no real world value (Bethesda recently goofed up and admitted it did via Fallout 76 by offering those morons who purchased a canvas bag edition in game currency as compensation for ***DRUM-ROLL*** real world monetary compensation).

You have actual AAA games purposely being made grindfests from the get go to not be an enjoyable experience unless you purchase microtransactions (the pay to not play scheme).

You have games selling 7 MILLION Copies being deemed failures from the publisher.

You have publishers laying off their workforce to make up the above failure instead of setting realistic goals and/or cutting back the million+ payroll of the executive (like Iwata gracefully did).

That's why I play mostly older and offline-only games. All the crap is worked out, you can buy a "collector's edition" with all the DLC bundled, and you can get it on sale for a few bucks.

If I'm not rocking some classic DosBox action anyways.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Yes. If you go old enough, you can get amazing deals. Of course, the games are old...

For $16, I have Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II, Throne of Bhaal, and the Black Pits (for both) on my tablet. That is an impressive amount of entertainment for that price.
you can even get the best game ever for free :D

https://alephone.lhowon.org/
Welp, their goes the neighborhood.

Nintendo the last good guy of the AAA gaming publishers is going to suck now that Reggie is being replaced by a former EA executive (who was only hired after the defender of fun gaming left us, I hope Iwata isn't rolling in his grave)....
The Switch is rumored to somehow get Xbox game pass so :shrug:

Also this is only for NOA so NOJ can still veto anything super stupid.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Bioware's Anthem