any upcoming releases got you interested?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Aaron_R, Google [Bot]
arkayn posted:
Aaron_R posted:
So that is the game they went seeking publishing partners for & it impressed Microsoft so much they just up and purchased the studio. Must be amazing human waste.

Looks like it, but M$ is not the publisher for the game, as they already had one before they were purchased.

Quote:
Microsoft has agreed to honor Obsidian’s original contract with Private Division.

If the bought the studio will that mean that further releases will be exclusives?
user Stupid cockwomble
::ahem:: Bungie
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
user posted:

Bungie is not owned by microsoft anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#In ... pany_(2007–present)
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:
user posted:

Bungie is not owned by microsoft anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#In ... pany_(2007–present)

That's interesting, but my point is what M$ after they bought Bungie - one Mac version, very late - then nothing but Xbox and PC.
There is no money to be had for MacOS games. Just an observation which has pretty much always been true.
user Stupid cockwomble
Betonhaus posted:
If the bought the studio will that mean that further releases will be exclusives?

I was responding to this, not making comment on the Mac game market.

There is money to be had...just not to the dreams of avarice.
maurvir Meat popsicle
The irony is that most of the better mobile games are iOS exclusives, or at least iOS first.
dv
maurvir posted:
The irony is that most of the better mobile games are iOS exclusives, or at least iOS first.

Because iOS users are actually in the habit of paying money for games.
maurvir Meat popsicle
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Yeah, that was kind of my point. You would think Mac users would be an attractive market since they trend wealthier (and spendier) than their PC counterparts.
dv
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Yeah, that was kind of my point. You would think Mac users would be an attractive market since they trend wealthier (and spendier) than their PC counterparts.

Make it up on volume.
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

there's not really enough overlap. People who are drawn to simple free-to-play games and buy stuff for them either enjoy the convenience of mobile games or play Facebook games (are Facebook Games still a thing? I haven't played one since I tried to come back to Cafe World only to be bombarded by a years worth of alerts) or like the power and flexibility of PC systems. Plus Apple not playing nice with Nvidia knocks out half the market.
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Except the games run like crap on everything except $8000 machines; which even then get stomped by x86 Windows and Hackintosh rigs.
dv
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Except the games run like crap on everything except $8000 machines; which even then get stomped by x86 Windows and Hackintosh rigs.

But they don't care because they bought macs for other reasons, gaming is a secondary function, so "good enough" performance is fine.
Betonhaus posted:
Plus Apple not playing nice with Nvidia knocks out half the market.

Its Nvidia who didn't want to play nice with Apple. Nvidia decided to snuff Apple by keeping their driver code proprietary when Apple wanted to be allowed under the hood of the drivers to ensure the It Just Works thing and to keep the required OpenGL support updated (something Nvidia is notorious for neglecting due to them placing their proprietary code ahead of all else). Nvidia bet wrongly that being the market leader their clout would cave Apples demands. Apple instead said F.U. and went to Radeon who have open sourced drivers and better Open GL support (as well as a better hardware customization system. Which is also why consoles have been almost exclusively using custom Radeon derivatives in all their hardware).
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Well, except this isn't true on macs since Metal was implemented.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Metacell posted:
...since Metal was implemented.

Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

yeah 'cuz now everything's equally wasteful
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Metal has helped, but nVidia is still king of the hill as far as GPU performance is concerned. AMD has nothing right now that can compete with the 2080ti.
dv
avkills posted:
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Metal has helped, but nVidia is still king of the hill as far as GPU performance is concerned. AMD has nothing right now that can compete with the 2080ti.

Sure, but they have plenty of things that can compete at the "normal people can afford this" level.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
avkills posted:
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Main point being, if you run the same game now under Windows on the same macintosh, there's minimal difference. So, yes you absolutely can play next-gen games on a mac. Will it ever be enough for gamers who need everything at the highest over-clock, full-res with 32xAF and quadruple the native frame rate? NEVER.
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Main point being, if you run the same game now under Windows on the same macintosh, there's minimal difference. So, yes you absolutely can play next-gen games on a mac. Will it ever be enough for gamers who need everything at the highest over-clock, full-res with 32xAF and quadruple the native frame rate? NEVER.

Lots of games still do not support Metal. In fact, StarCraft 2 stills describes its support as in beta.

Civilization 6 has insane load times and a tendency to desync during multiplayer on macOS, issues not present in Windows.

I could add more to the list.
dv
MacAddict4Life posted:
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
Metacell posted:
avkills posted:
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Lots of games still do not support Metal. In fact, StarCraft 2 stills describes its support as in beta.

Civilization 6 has insane load times and a tendency to desync during multiplayer on macOS, issues not present in Windows.

I could add more to the list.

That's about OS support, not GPU hardware.
Whatever bad blood there is between Apple and nVidia; they both need to suck it up and swallow their pride. I honestly do not see how Apple could release a new Mac Pro and be taken serious unless there is nVidia GPU support from the get go. Perhaps Apple will support bridging AMD cards; which would make up the difference. All I know is that the very top of Apple executive leadership has on numerous occasions spouted the importance of GPU, yet fail to support the fastest cards on the market. Not only that, on the desktop side nVidia is even beating AMD on power also.
TOS
adobe just recently started offering prores export support for windows, a severe blow to apple's place as a media creation device

the likelihood of apple becoming a gaming platform is pretty much nil
TOS posted:
adobe just recently started offering prores export support for windows, a severe blow to apple's place as a media creation device

the likelihood of apple becoming a gaming platform is pretty much nil

Apple sealed that when they stick fiddled everyone over with FCP X. But yes ProRes Export from Windows is huge; mainly because a lot of very popular video playback apps on the Mac for live events want ProRes files.

But as I have said, OS X vs. Windows using Adobe CC, on equal hardware there isn't much of a difference. Windows is slightly faster (CUDA vs. Metal).
For all of you Switch folks, Cuphead is apparently coming your way. Rejoice, for it is a wonderful game of moderate difficulty which will make your eyes happy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwkS900oZE

April 18th
dv
Been playing X4: Foundations.
Warin posted:
For all of you Switch folks, Cuphead is apparently coming your way. Rejoice, for it is a wonderful game of moderate difficulty which will make your eyes happy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwkS900oZE

April 18th

More excited about Castle Crashers!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

any upcoming releases got you interested?

Page: 1, 2