2K asks consumers to petition for their own exploitation

Online now: Google [Bot]
2k has released a press junket calling on customers who reside in Belgium and the Netherlands to petition their government officials so that 2k regains the privilege of selling gambling boxes.

2k:
The Belgium Gaming Commission (BGC) has stated that games which include certain ‘loot box’ style mechanics violate gambling laws in Belgium. While we disagree with this position, we are working to comply with the BGC’s current interpretation of these laws. As a result, we have made some local changes to the MyTeam mode. These changes are necessary in order for us to accommodate the BGC’s interpretation of the Belgian Gaming Act. Specifically, we will be turning off the ability to purchase packs with premium (non-earned) currency/VC.Gamers are still able to acquire packs with MyTeam points. We will be continuing conversations with the BGC in order to explain our view on how NBA 2K and MyTeam pack purchases already comply with local laws. If you agree, we recommend that you contact your local government representative to communicate your opinion. We will keep the community posted on any developments. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Hey 2K here's a FREE idea for you. Having an item shop where customers can purchase items they want individually instead of having a gambling lottery equates to the problem being solved.

Oh, wait... that'd be too ethical for you and you'd lose millions and millions of dollars from halting your predatory gambling box practices. Ethics or Money, I guess one way for you to feel better about yourself is having consumers fight on your behalf for their own exploitation? :brow:

P.S.
If you were wondering about the games that triggered this like Valves CS:GO, EA FIFA or Activision-Blizzards Overwatch, all have taken the same stance as 2k. They didn't make any changes to their games economy either, except the dropping of gambling boxes for the affected countries. Except none of them have yet had the gull to tell their subjects to fight for their own exploitation except 2k.
The latest gambling video games news is that despite the above post I was wholeheartedly incorrect about EA Games & FIFA. They are refusing to comply with the Gaming Commission's ruling and will be taking it to the courts. One can only hope that this court case will be THE landmark precedent across the globe that consumers have long been needing in the industry.

And I guess it is karma that EA, which started it all from their over greedy StarWars debacle which caused these countries to regulate them. That wasted off the other publishers for having to now comply in those countries. And now they go to court for their greed in FIFA and create a precedent that destroys gambling boxes all together. Full circle greed, first human waste on your consumers than on the rest of your industry chums.
In just a 2 year period (when the video game industries greedy gambling box craze went mainstream), the number of children gamblers (aged 11-16) have QUADRUPLED, according to the most recent UK Gambling Commission's report.

The same report has identified said industry as the cause and effect behind the sudden explosive surge. Not a part of the report but I'm speculating here that since the UK is still a part of the EU and several EU nations have already come out in open lawsuit against certain video game publishers in regards to loot boxes/gambling, maybe this could be used in the trial as evidence.

Either way I think this is shaping up to be as big if not bigger than the Big Bad Tobacco Industry court case we seen in the 90's (sleazy corporations knowingly exploiting people for billions of dollars while denying any and all foul play).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

2K asks consumers to petition for their own exploitation