Game character styles

Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
When you create a character for a game, do you usually develop someone or something who generally mirrors you in real life, or do you prefer to explore other personalities or fantasies?

As often as I think about creating fantasy characters, I almost end up just creating characters that mirror my reality- or at least the aspects of it that I value. I almost always play a female (with the exception of Donkey Kong, I AM Donkey Kong) unless all the female characters are pansies. I also usually play human or close to human characters- maybe sometimes I might be a cat or something. I like logical, balanced play that doesn't too easily lean towards good or evil, etc. I just don't get too much of a kick out of trying to be someone I'm not.

I don't know. When I think about it, it sounds kind of boring. But it's how I have fun! What about you?
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
I usually try every type available until I find one that fits. Male / Female makes no difference in games. I am more of a solo gamer though, so I tend to play types that don't require as much assistance from other players.
Yeah, I'm more of a solo gamer too. But even if it's just choosing a skin, I tend to go more with characters I directly identify with.
I usually choose a girl character for stuff like Wave Race, MotorStorm, etc. Because I don't want to watch a guy wiggle his ass in front of me for hours.

That and I like using my Asuka re-creation in Rock Band so that after I beat something in multiplayer they go "holy human waste it's a guy".

Last edited by Phydeaux on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm.

Conner Of Gallifrey
Depends. For some games I choose a female character for teh pretty, but for other games I choose a male character (rockband for instance <---- *points at avatar*). For Warcraft, I chose a female character because all the guys had about 90 pounds of muscle and as a healer it didn't make sense.

I dunno, it's very game specific. I mean, for Smash I play Zelda but it's not because she's a girl - I like her moves.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I make/choose the most ridiculous looking one I can.
So come join in the WoW experience. You can solo all the way up to 70. ;)
oatmeal with raisins
I'm male, but when given the choice I typically chose the female character.

I've been called out on that a few times, and been called twisted over my reasoning, but it seems solid to me.

If I'm going to be watching a character's ass as it runs all around the environment of a game, which would I prefer to watch, a male ass or a female ass? Hands down, I prefer to watch my female character running around.

I don't understand the people who say that my logic is twisted. It's not me on the screen, it's the character I'm playing in the game. It makes so much sense to me.

Whatever. If you disagree you can kiss my female character's attractive ass. :D
sigh... i'd really like to get back into WoW....

For xbox i'm almost always a guy and I tend to veer towards the same style. It's usually human, with very slick clothes and a lot of black secret agent/ninja type stuff.

I think my customizable characters tend to look similar in part because I prefer to play as a sniper/spy/stealth types. It kind of fits the play style.

In WoW I played as a couple of female characters because as my friend Clive puts it... "look at how much time you spend playing this game.. do you really want to stare at a dude's ass all day?"
oatmeal with raisins
Charkdrum wrote:
"look at how much time you spend playing this game.. do you really want to stare at a dude's ass all day?"

My point EXACTLY!

I played KOTR that way. I'd do it again.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Charkdrum wrote:
I think my customizable characters tend to look similar in part because I prefer to play as a sniper/spy/stealth types. It kind of fits the play style.

Drummers are totally stealth! :D

Charkdrum wrote:
In WoW I played as a couple of female characters because as my friend Clive puts it... "look at how much time you spend playing this game.. do you really want to stare at a dude's ass all day?"

Remind me to tell Steve he's a smart man the next time I see 'em.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Depends on the game, I have played as both Male and Female characters when there is an option.
oatmeal with raisins
The only time I choose a male over a female character is when they program the female in to be weaker.
moff moff Super Happy Fun Time
i play the fat hobo, then no one expects me when i bap on the side of the head
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
moff moff wrote:
i play the fat hobo, then no one expects me when i bap on the side of the head

Bo Rai Cho?
oatmeal wrote:
If you disagree you can kiss my female character's attractive ass. :D

but if you watched and kind got off, it probably would be crossing *some* kind of line....
oatmeal with raisins
Marc wrote:
oatmeal wrote:
If you disagree you can kiss my female character's attractive ass. :D

but if you watched and kind got off, it probably would be crossing *some* kind of line....

... Uh, yeah. There would probably be some sort of line crossing going on there. :nod:

That's what the internet is for.
It really depends on the game for me, when I play D&D (aka real RPGs) I usually will play a character close to my self as far as maleness and relative good/evil neutrality. When I briefly played WOW I only liked the female characters because they looked cooler whereas the males were musclebound testosterone freaks. In other games I will usually choose whichever one I think looks the coolest. So there ya go:)
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
When I do real RPGs I play a variety as well. In the D&D campaign I'm currently in I play a lawful evil assassin, which is causing a bit of strife because the rest of the party is neutral to good.

In my other campaign, I play a young socialite woman who's obsession with her parents murder has caused her to don a cowl and mask to fight crime. It's a game set in the late 1930's and we were supposed to take pulp fiction and film noir stereotypes for our inspiration. The game also has a very Cthulu-esqu bent to it, so it seemed interesting to apply a comic book hero to that kind of world. The others in the game are a Professor who's seen something that's driven him a little insane, a British secret agent, a down on his luck boxer turned private-eye, and a few others. It's been a pretty interesting game so far. We've been playing it for about two years.

My gaming decisions in real RPGs are usually based on what will advance the plot. For example, my assassin recently freed a dangerous prisoner inside the castle keep, so that he could act as a weapon and kill the keep's mage for me. The mage may have not been my actual contracted target though, but at least I've eliminated him from suspicion. Of course the rest of the party is a little unhappy with this, since they wanted to do things the complicated way.
Conner Of Gallifrey
God, I miss a good D&D adventurez.
I typically play a female character unless they're weaker and almost always hume or elf. I have a male warrior and pally though, which I rarely play, but when I was making them, the female warrior, especially, just didn't seem realistic.

In my d&d campaign, I'm playing a female elf ranger, which has worked very much to my advantage since the majority of npcs we've encountered have been male, and she's a charisma whore. My dm gets wasted off because we play neutral, and are pretty much a band of suspicious kleptos, and he insists on being lawful good.
dv
FWIW, main in EVE Online is a male who looks, well, as much like me as I could make him - except with longer hair and no glasses.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Game character styles