so whatcha playin'?

Page: 1, 2, 3
Online now: Warin
user Stupid cockwomble
avkills posted:
user posted:
I'm replaying the original now on Steam.

Are you playing the one that was re-done with new graphic assets?

Yes, but the new graphics aren't blowing my skirt up any.

But I am using the on-board Levono video.

Got a new card for it but I have to find a new damn PS to hook it up so it's just sitting in the slot useless.
dv
Got the new Battletech turn-based game.

It's pretty kickass. Also, there's an OS X version.
Just barely started it, but it looks like a good implementation of the tabletop game.
TOS
i'm wondering what bethesda is going to announce ... new aaa rpg? remastered older games like fallout 3 or vegas?

hopefully not a new fallout game ... i love the franchise but they're clearly tired of the franchise, if fallout 4 is any indication
sturner Ancient Soldier
Still playing Red Orchestra. Only in the this version (Red Orchestra 2) they not only have the eastern front, western Front, and Pacific versions, they also released Vietnam.

I am thinking about going back to play War Birds.

And just for a change up, I’m playing World of Warships.
TOS
i'm sensing a theme
Playing first Tomb Raider re-boot; been pretty easy guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought.
TOS
doing the mass effect series with my boy ... forgot how awesome those games are
user Stupid cockwomble
I just found out last week that Morrowind has been updated for the Xbox One. I found my cherry copy of GOTY for original Xbox that I hadn't done much with, well, because it was for O Xbox.

It's a matter of accepting that it's an old game and learning to work with the way it is. Using online guides quite a bit because it's really too harsh to blindly explore. I screwed up and didn't give my character any weapon skill which means I whack and whack and can't even kill a damn cave rat. I have to use magic for battles exclusively.
user posted:
I just found out last week that Morrowind has been updated for the Xbox One. I found my cherry copy of GOTY for original Xbox that I hadn't done much with, well, because it was for O Xbox.

It's a matter of accepting that it's an old game and learning to work with the way it is. Using online guides quite a bit because it's really too harsh to blindly explore. I screwed up and didn't give my character any weapon skill which means I whack and whack and can't even kill a damn cave rat. I have to use magic for battles exclusively.

I know! I’ve been playing it too. Sick of those cliff racers, myself.
user Stupid cockwomble
I've had to use the temporary xbox health paddle code out of necessity to survive AT ALL. Three blows of majik takes them out but they are a pain in the ass.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Morrowind was arguably one of the best TES games ever in so many ways. It is still the most unique. The landscape was foreign, yet beautiful. The people were racist, yet charming. The music was amazing.

However, because it was an open world, and you were dropped in it with little more than a sharp stick, it was very easy to get your ass kicked early on. Even the little "starter dungeon" in Seyda Neen could be troublesome. (Oh, and you surely remembered to travel south to where that silly mage plops on the ground with a "long jump" spell, right?)

I still, to this day, look back fondly on that game. It was incredibly atmospheric in a way you rarely see these days. Of course, it really needed a graphics overhaul even in its time, but if you just wander around and pay attention you will find yourself mesmerized by that island.
maurvir posted:
Morrowind was arguably one of the best TES games ever in so many ways. It is still the most unique. The landscape was foreign, yet beautiful. The people were racist, yet charming. The music was amazing.

However, because it was an open world, and you were dropped in it with little more than a sharp stick, it was very easy to get your ass kicked early on. Even the little "starter dungeon" in Seyda Neen could be troublesome. (Oh, and you surely remembered to travel south to where that silly mage plops on the ground with a "long jump" spell, right?)

I still, to this day, look back fondly on that game. It was incredibly atmospheric in a way you rarely see these days. Of course, it really needed a graphics overhaul even in its time, but if you just wander around and pay attention you will find yourself mesmerized by that island.

All I can think of as I read this is that you need to play Breath of the Wild.
TOS
i've been playing fallout 3 on my xbox one, and damn if it still isn't just the awesomest game ever ... such great writing! the side quests are just so amazing

it has me thinking of investing in tes oblivion, which i've never played ... will it run on the xbox?

"all right, big town!"
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I can't seem to stop playing Sniper Elite 4. There's nothing quite as satisfying as shooting Nazis in the testicles.
TOS posted:
i've been playing fallout 3 on my xbox one, and damn if it still isn't just the awesomest game ever ... such great writing! the side quests are just so amazing

it has me thinking of investing in tes oblivion, which i've never played ... will it run on the xbox?

"all right, big town!"

Morrowind and Oblivion will both work on the Xbox One. If you are ever curious whether a 360 or OG Xbox game will work on the One, this list is the most complete and up to date.
TOS
Warin posted:
TOS posted:

"all right, big town!"

Morrowind and Oblivion will both work on the Xbox One. If you are ever curious whether a 360 or OG Xbox game will work on the One, this list is the most complete and up to date.

cool, thanks!
EB Games still carries Oblivion for the 360, including the GOTY edition. If a local shop doesn’t have a copy, you can also buy it digitally on the marketplace, but that’s likely more expensive.
TOS
the wife rolls her eyes when she sees me playing these old games ... she's all like, "why did you even buy that thing?"

i had to promise not to play new vegas ... she hates it because of the extreme frustration of playing the bug-laden load screen-heavy first version

always thought that game was overrated anyway
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
Warin posted:
TOS posted:

"all right, big town!"

cool, thanks!

google "oblivion scroll dupe glitch"

make your first stop the Bravil mage guild quest to get started using it. you get three scrolls handed to you pretty much right away and they are real good ones.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I replayed through most of Oblivion last year until I finally realized that I hated it. It looks beautiful on modern hardware but it isn't any fun at all. The whole game is a chore.
user Stupid cockwomble
yeah, I use the scroll glitch to relieve the tedium of worrying about money and resources but you still need to create training spells and practice them.

The biggest issue I have with Morrowind is the lack of fast travel. Slog your way to a remote location and you have to slog all the way back to go there again. I've been putting a lot of effort in getting spells and pylon charms so I can navigate.
maurvir Meat popsicle
user posted:
yeah, I use the scroll glitch to relieve the tedium of worrying about money and resources but you still need to create training spells and practice them.

The biggest issue I have with Morrowind is the lack of fast travel. Slog your way to a remote location and you have to slog all the way back to go there again. I've been putting a lot of effort in getting spells and pylon charms so I can navigate.

Or use the mage guild services to get to the closest town. I actually liked walking on foot, but when I was in a hurry, there was always that option.
TOS
i never realized that if you complete the wasteland survival guide then people you talk to in random encounters thank you for your hard work and explain how much you helped their families

it's neat touches like that, completely absent from fallout 4, that made the game so great

fallout 76: feh!
maurvir Meat popsicle
I have always dreamed about an adventure game where you actually had to form relationships with NPCs (whether business, friendship, etc.) to complete the story ever since I played through Ultima Underworld (both, really). Unfortunately, the "shoot it if it moves" crowd won out, and now even adventure games are on such tight rails that you rarely see that sort of thing anymore.
TOS
apparently they're doing some cool things with npc's in red dead redemption ii

among other things they'll interact with you differently depending on your behaviour/reputation
maurvir Meat popsicle
TOS posted:

among other things they'll interact with you differently depending on your behaviour/reputation

I'm always amazed when this isn't a thing, given that reputation based NPC behavior has been around for decades.
user Stupid cockwomble
did they shoot all the dang horses?
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

I'm always amazed when this isn't a thing, given that reputation based NPC behavior has been around for decades.

Escape Velocity!
TOS
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

i think it adds a mountain of work on top of an already massive amount of work
TOS
just re-started dead space 2

still scares the bejesus out of me
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Lego Harry Potter
user Stupid cockwomble
after pushing my way through most of Morrowind, I picked up Oblivion again

surprised how nice the graphics look now and how much easier it is to play
TOS
serving as back-up troubleshooter as my son works through mario galaxy 2 on the wii

not as good as the first one but still tons of fun
That's funny. I played Galaxy 2 on the Wii, though it was AMAZING, and then tried to play 1 and though it wasn't great by comparison.

I particularly like it that the "B player" in Galaxy 2 has a lot more they can do to help than in Galaxy 1.
TOS
just installed gtav on my one ... holy crap i'd forgotten what an amazing game that is

the constant satire is just so wonderful (those radio ads!)
The next expansion of WoW started today
TOS posted:
just installed gtav on my one ... holy crap i'd forgotten what an amazing game that is

Is it really that good? Is it as non-linear as earlier versions? I tried an older one (I can't remember if it was 3 or 4) and I just couldn't get into it, particularly with how directionless it felt.
dv
Kerbal again...
TOS
MacAddict4Life posted:
TOS posted:

Is it really that good? Is it as non-linear as earlier versions? I tried an older one (I can't remember if it was 3 or 4) and I just couldn't get into it, particularly with how directionless it felt.

sort of like fallout, there's a storyline but you don't necessarily have to follow it -- however it's a great story very worth following
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

so whatcha playin'?

Page: 1, 2, 3