Atari is coming back?

Online now: No visible users
ukimalefu Canadized
It's nothing but a website and a teaser video

https://www.ataribox.com/

But... a new Atari console? what could it be? My guess is it runs some form of android and comes with classic atari games pre-installed.

Though it would be nothing without the classic Activision games.
TOS
the brand has been passed through many hands over the years
TOS
as for this box, if it is a real thing i don't imagine it will be the home games, because those have not aged well ... it's got to be their arcade offerings like toobin' and whatnot
ukimalefu Canadized
Quote:
(Atari CEO) Fred Chesnais, in an interview with GamesBeat, confirmed that they are working on a brand new console. However, he didn’t reveal much about the console. According to Chesnais, the upcoming Atari console is based on PC technology.

http://www.geeksultd.com/2017/06/ceo-at ... le-making/
TOS
oh so it's what, a steam box maybe?
ukimalefu Canadized
TOS posted:
oh so it's what, a steam box maybe?

that's a good guess
Lombo Opiofiend
Steambox+emulator of all atari consoles up to the Jaguar and jag controller
TOS
Lombo posted:

have you seen the 2600 games? they're horrible!

i can see a market for classic nintendo, but those atari games -- blech, no way

one possible alternative would be to go a quasi-retropie route, but the legal issues would be a nightmare
ukimalefu Canadized
TOS posted:
Lombo posted:

I'm thinking they counting on nostalgia to sell a few units. I'm sure they'll include some 2600 games. I bet they'll even include pong. Sure, not as the main selling point, and they'll be free, but some of those games will be there.

I also bet it won't include ET :P
Lombo Opiofiend
TOS posted:
Lombo posted:

one possible alternative would be to go a quasi-retropie route, but the legal issues would be a nightmare

I remembre trough rose-tinted glasses because even the Jaguar games which i misremebered erroneously better then then really were. Aliens vs Prédateur looked Way worse than i recalled. At the Time we were in awe of the thermographic vision effect.

My best friend (who died from asbestos-related lung cancer at 36) and me would buy every console from the genesis to the ps1(so nes,genesis, snes,sega cd,32x,jaguar,Saturn,ultra 64,panasonic REAL 3DO FZ-1 at 700$. BTW this console had the first Need for Speed and it was GLORIOUS, also FIFA Soccer, Gex, this console was for a short Time the best you could buy. Headphone port on the controller could daisy-chain up to 8 controller. My friend liked videogames so much than he combined his drawing skill to videogames and got hired at Ubisoft Montréal as a 3D modeler.He worked on Prince of Persia:Sands of Time up to watchdogs (he died before the release ) Meanwhile i got into multimédia back when it was still a thing before the rise of internet. After I kind of lost my videogames passion.
Lombo Opiofiend
TOS posted:
Lombo posted:

I remembre trough rose-tinted glasses because even the Jaguar games which i misremebered erroneously better then then really were. Aliens vs Prédateur looked Way worse than i recalled. At the Time we were in awe of the thermographic vision effect.

My best friend (who died from asbestos-related lung cancer at 36) and me would buy every console from the genesis to the ps1(so nes,genesis, snes,sega cd,32x,jaguar,Saturn,ultra 64,panasonic REAL 3DO FZ-1 at 700$. BTW this console had the first Need for Speed and it was GLORIOUS, also FIFA Soccer, Gex, this console was for a short Time the best you could buy. Headphone port on the controller could daisy-chain up to 8 controller. My friend liked videogames so much than he combined his drawing skill to videogames and got hired at Ubisoft Montréal as a 3D modeler.He worked on Prince of Persia:Sands of Time up to watchdogs (he died before the release ) Meanwhile i got into multimédia back when it was still a thing before the rise of internet. After I kind of lost my videogames passion.
Lombo Opiofiend
NFS for 3DO came out in 1994!

Compare to Stunt race FX on snes

3do.jpeg
It revolutionnry and so much fun to play
eurogamer have a page dedicated to NFS complete with YT video of the actual game. Remembre the year and weep for your past self who could not get to play this awesome game
ukimalefu Canadized
Well the "mini-retro-2600" is already a thing, with 120 Atari 2600 games that include Activision games:

so this new atari box is a different thing
TOS
ukimalefu Canadized
TOS posted:

I went around that game once. I mean, it literally has no end, if you keep running and don't die, you end up on the first screen again.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

I went around that game once. I mean, it literally has no end, if you keep running and don't die, you end up on the first screen again.

it definitely kicks skyrim's ass
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Nope.

But then, I do have my game fully modded.
TOS
arkayn posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

Nope.

But then, I do have my game fully modded.

i was being sarcastic
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

I finished Pitfall (as in got all the treasures) finally, like 20 years after the challenge was first issued (the only way to finish before the timer expires is to learn exactly the lower passage warping...each takes you 3 screens over compared to the top path).

Anyway, the games looked crap, but some of them were really fun, especially the Activision ones like Pitfall and Stampede. Crazy ones like Adventure have nostalgic value.
ukimalefu Canadized
Quote:
Atari plans to deliver classic games in the Ataribox, alongside “current content.”

that says nothing... nothing good...

Quote:
“We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, pricing, timing,” reads an Atari statement. “We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring this to life, and to listen closely to the Atari community feedback as we do so.”

meh... whatever...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/17/1598 ... s-pictures
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Why not posts the pictures here? :D
user Stupid cockwomble
got that 70s true wood grain decal
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
Oooh, interesting...

Quote:
Ataribox will be powered by an AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology. It'll run Linux, with a customized, easy-to-use user interface. This approach means that as well as being a great gaming device, Ataribox is also a full PC experience for the TV, bringing you streaming, applications, social, browsing, music, and more.

http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-a ... 316bc4d53e

There also rumors that it will support Steam.
TOS
sounds like they're really overengineering the hell out of it
user Stupid cockwomble
Have to make sure the boiler don't explode.
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized

The Ataribox gets an official name, with preorder date to be announced in April

Quote:
Atari has renamed its upcoming retro mini-console from the Ataribox to the Atari VCS

Quote:
In an interesting twist, the device will not only play classic Atari titles, but it will also play modern PC games (of the less intensive variety) thanks to the device’s custom AMD processor with Radeon graphics and a Linux-based OS.

Quote:
Atari said last year that its mini-console would likely cost between $250 and $300.

Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
That's a nicer looking machine than any other game system I've seen. I don't play games much anymore, so I don't have any other opinions.
dv
Mustapha Mond posted:
That's a nicer looking machine than any other game system I've seen. I don't play games much anymore, so I don't have any other opinions.

It is nice.

I think they should have left the wood grain in the '80s where it belonged. It's a nice visual reference, but it'll clash with basically everything else everywhere.
ukimalefu Canadized
dv posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

It is nice.

I think they should have left the wood grain in the '80s where it belonged. It's a nice visual reference, but it'll clash with basically everything else everywhere.

I suppose they want to use nostalgia and "retro is cool" to help sell the thing. And then they may want to sell alternate face plates.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Quote:
Atari said last year that its mini-console would likely cost between $250 and $300.

blech
ukimalefu Canadized
It seems like it's finally shipping

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/at ... rm=2356592

$390 :cringe:

Quote:
“Overall, the feedback has been very positive and instructive, with [testers] sampling an assortment of classic Atari and third-party games, the Antstream App [a subscription-based game streaming service], and streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ in Atari Mode,” the company said. “Other adventurous group members have connected their USB keyboards and tested out the unique Atari PC Mode (formerly known as ‘PC Sandbox Mode’) by booting up Windows and playing some of their favorite PC games on their big-screen TVs.”

Yeah... get a Playsation or xbox and find an emulator to play old atari games.

Or play them for free online

http://www.free80sarcade.com/all2600games.php
I can't wait for this to get into the hands of reviewers
TOS
that price is totally insane, no way in hell anyone but a handful of collector types will pay that much for an atari deck

christ, that's as much as a switch, xbone or ps4

they should have abandoned the project when they realized it would cost more than a hundred bucks
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Atari is coming back?