Rock Band vs Guitar Hero World Tour

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot]
Conner Of Gallifrey
It's basically 80 songs for $60, which is a good deal. There are some nice gameplay improvements, but that's mostly the draw.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Well, now I'm extra glad I chose to get GH. Not only are the instruments nicer, they're also compatible with Rock Band 2 (and RB instruments aren't compatible with GH). Win!
Conner Of Gallifrey
Malkin wrote:
Well, now I'm extra glad I chose to get GH. Not only are the instruments nicer, they're also compatible with Rock Band 2 (and RB instruments aren't compatible with GH). Win!

All instruments are cross compatible on the 360/PS3 (Both Sony and Microsoft decided to deny certification unless they did that - smart move).
Malkin wrote:
Well, now I'm extra glad I chose to get GH. Not only are the instruments nicer,

Opinion. Wrong opinion now that I've gotten to use both, but opinion. :p

Quote:
they're also compatible with Rock Band 2

Thanks to Harmonix's hard work and patches.

Quote:
(and RB instruments aren't compatible with GH). Win!

blatherskite, guitars and mic work fine.

With the exception of I can't get my RB drums to work. That is to say, Activision had enough foresight to allow the game to give it four tracks instead of five with a kick when plugged in, but you'll never be able to use star power. That's a huge engineering problem they've created and are silly not to fix.

Oh, that's right, you're on the Wii: that's different and I'm not going to retype any of this blatherskite above, alas:

http://www.joystiq.com/Instrument-Compatibility-Matrix/

Just the same, I wouldn't say that a "right choice" was made because someone isn't supporting open, royalty-free, standards:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/harmoni ... k-blocking
http://www.destructoid.com/eff-you-pay- ... 0648.phtml

Activision/Red Octane wants us trapped into a model where when we need to replace a peripheral, we have to buy an official one. Harmonix believes that 3rd parties should get fairplay and their stuff should work with their products so long as they fit a standard. A standard they don't have to license.

The only reason why buying the GH:WT bundle would ever be a "right choice" is because Harmonix works actively to try to get Activision's peripherals to work in their game where applicable. Which is all the reason in the world for me to not buy it because they're going beyond Microsoft-draconian tactics in the name of locking us down.

Anyway,
ITT I uncouth individual AT PEOPLE WHO DON'T DESERVE TO BE BITCHED AT BECAUSE I'M A stick fiddling uncouth individual
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I don't have time to worry myself with the politics of it all these days. All I know is that for my system of choice, I got the best of both worlds. :)
Malkin wrote:
I don't have time to worry myself with the politics of it all these days. All I know is that for my system of choice, I got the best of both worlds. :)

Sure but what phy is saying is that your buying it from a Nazi
I bought Rock Revolution yesterday.

It was $20. Has a studio that might be worth messing with.

eeehhhhhhhh....
Conner Of Gallifrey
It's not worth $20.
It's not worth $60.

$20 ... They're all cover songs. And it's weird playing with anything beyond the 3 quarter layout. No bar for bass pedal, either, it got it's own row. Based on how easy the songs are on medium, I think I can kick this game's ass on expert. Poison note mode is silly and no note mode is retarded but I think I know of a way to get through it. I lusted after the drum set until I felt how cheaply it was made.

Konami missed the boat I think.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
The best would be the one with more songs you like.

And I believe they should come with controllers like this:

http://www.peavey.com/controller/

Then maybe I could be interested in trying those games.

;) :D
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

1. Figures multiple SKUs against two SKUs(GH:WT is sold in Band Packs, Two Guitar, One Guitar and individually; Rock Band is sold as a Band Pack or individually)
2. It's more telling that GHIII outsold Rock Band 6:1 and GH:WT now only outsells Rock Band 2 at a rate of 2:1. Even with all those configurations.
3. This doesn't reflect which game is more healthy for the industry as a whole. People will stop buying DLC when their instruments break and can't buy third party. Matter of fact, how do those DLC figures look now while everything is going great? Pretty bleak if you ask me.
4. What hurt numbers was the release of GH:WT for Wii before RB2 BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE BECAUSE Nintendo stick fiddled over EA and Activision both by putting them in precarious situations of not knowing what features to continue to develop because they had no clue if the NWFC spec would support those features that they developed for other platforms. Including DLC.

Activision is going to run Guitar Hero into the ground like they did the Tony Hawk franchise. The corporation that is the most honest with itself about it's limitations and what it can do for the customer while taking their money will get my dollar, and other people will follow suit.

Also, it says right in the article that the figure, which includes GH:WT's sales for Wii, doesn't include RB2's sales for Wii because the launch was after the compilation of the NPD's report.

So when we get a more cumulative look at the sales figures this next quarter, I do believe that even 2:1 isn't even sustainable.
Conner Of Gallifrey
What Jon said.
I'm having someone go kick ass at a Guitar Hero World Tour competition for charity tonight.

The prize is, get this, GH:WT for 360. :der:

I told a dude that I'll pay his entry fee and he can keep the complete band kit if he gives me the game.

It's silly to give something away as a prize that someone would've had to have practiced on to get in the first place.
My Expert player got his ass handed to him by kiddies also playing on Expert. These are like ten year old prodigies that I hope are doing something more than playing Guitar Hero but you know. Stuff.

Anyone want to see the double kick pedal action for ExpertPLUS! (I'm sure they don't call it this. I'm just going Rock Revolution with stupid names on everyone's ass)?

http://kotaku.com/5145095/slayers-gh-me ... -difficult

That's just crazy. So I guess I need to lay off the drums and find a guy with Parkinson's Disease to take my place, eh?
I did Endless Setlist 2 last night. Started at 4:30 or so and didn't finish until... 10:30 or 11:00. I forget, it's a blur.

Did it on Expert vocals. Was also going for the "Bladder of Steel" achievement where you play through the whole thing without failing or pausing, and I was good 60-some odd songs into it...

And then came the Chinese Democracy track "Shackler's Revenge". What a stick fiddling stupid song.

I was Gold-starring and five starring everything up until that point and I apparently couldn't get my voice low enough to not get a horrible streak before failing entirely.

In anger, I threw down my microphone since I knew I wasn't going to get that one achievement now. But since I was sixty-some odd songs in I figured I might as well try again and soldier on.

Aaaaaand I killed my microphone. You know, from throwing it. So I failed again. Luckily I had a spare. I ended up getting three stars on it and it was all downhill from there, occasionally doing better but mostly 4-starring from there on out.

End result: On Expert 386/420 total stars.

I'll be doing it all over again with a full band on Medium on Sunday, so here's to hoping there's enough faux guitarists and bassists to continually swap out (AND NO ONE HITS THE stick fiddling PAUSE OR XBOX BUTTONS. I think I'm going to tape cardboard over the buttons on the X-Plorer GHII guitar and make everyone use those.).

Also my throat hurts this morning.
Random User Sackboy's Master
We played both GH and RB2 over the holidays. RB2 wasted me off cuz I suck at the drums.
Random User wrote:
We played both GH and RB2 over the holidays. RB2 wasted me off cuz I suck at the drums.

The only thing that wastes me off about doing drums is that if a song contains 16ths... I'm screwed. I can only get a streak of six notes or so going in that situation before my wrist tards out.

I've been practicing in the drum trainer but there's only so much I'm physically able to do. I'll get it eventually. I can 100% everything on Medium, but when you skip up to hard and they start sneaking in bass drum kicks that are in such an immediate succession that even when that's all I have to focus on (like StaticX's Nightmare), I can't do it. I mean, I'll get there, but there's just such a sharp learning curve from Medium to Hard on Guitar and Drums that differs from Bass and Vocals, which seems to take it a little bit easier until you hit Expert.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Rock Band vs Guitar Hero World Tour

Page: 1, 2