Rock Band vs Guitar Hero World Tour

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks)
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Which is better? Why? Is it expected to be much different on Wii?
inb4 asshats telling you to play a real instrument

I'm biased towards Rock Band. Lucky for you, though, is that everyone who has done a review on GHWT is essentially using RB&RB2 as the standard by which they're graded. So you'll read a lot of direct comparisons.
Oh yeah, I forgot about RB2.

I'm feeling too lazy to research. That's why I thought I'd ask for lovely opinions here.

I already play woodwinds (save for double reads) most strings, and piano. I also like getting drunk and singing and hitting things in sync with flashing lights.
Guitar Hero if you like drums... and classic rock...
Honestly, I like RB2 and the fact that you can go rent RB, pay the license fee of $5 and instantly throw all the songs from that game into RB2, making it a bigger value to me than GHWT, which is completely incompatible from every GH game thus far.

GHWT has a music maker where you can plot out your own songs but it's time-consuming (as it should be, but in a negative guess-n-test sort of way) and extremely limiting, invalidating promises made to us earlier in the year (no vocals, 1200 note per instrument limit, songs need to be less than 3 mins).

GHWT is going through the growing pains that RB went through last year, what with faulty peripherals and the like. I'd avoid early adoption this time around in only to not have to suffer through that, though both companies are quick to fix problems within the first six months, so I'm told. RB2 at least has the last year under their belt, so all those faulty wireless guitars and drum sets that I plowed through they've applied the R&D so that you don't have to go through the same human waste. :p

PC World has a thing on it:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153090/r ... und_2.html

And over at Outsider we have fanboys on both sides clawing into each other:

Official Rock Band topic
Official Guitar Hero World Tour topic

I think bugmenot/bugmenot still works if you don't want to register.

Anyway.
Thanks. Very helpful. I'm going to ask for one or the other for Christmas, though I doubt we'll get it. Otherwise maybe we'll get lucky and Aaron will find a new job soon. I figure that for us though, video games work out to be relatively cheap entertainment over the long run.
Ugh, I'm an idiot. My first two points may not apply to Wii owners.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Rockband. Guitar Hero's "the moment someone fails the game ends for EVERYONE" is blatherskite. As such, I will never play the game.
Phydeaux wrote:
Ugh, I'm an idiot. My first two points may not apply to Wii owners.

many points will not apply to the wii if its similar to the version of GH3 for the wii compares to the other versions.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Rockband2 for the Wii is going to have DLC. I do not know if Guitar Hero will.
Guitar Hero does indeed have DLC! We found a copy this weekend and are having tons of fun! We played Rockband 2 at a friend's house, and are happy that we got World Tour instead. We like the drums better and know more of the songs. It should be great to play over Thanksgiving!

Thanks guys. :)
Conner Of Gallifrey
Well, it was bound to happen - I know someone that bought Guitar Hero!
I feel like such a failure.

I'm going to go flog myself with my Wireless Rock Band Guitar Strap.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
My brother has World Tour, and I really like it. I've never played Rock Band though.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Buy a guitar and spend all those hours you'd spend perfecting Guitar Hero on actually learning to play it. God, I hate Guitar Hero and everything associated with it!

Sorry to rant. Please accept my apologies. Have fun. And enjoy this.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Buy a guitar and spend all those hours you'd spend perfecting Guitar Hero on actually learning to play it. God, I hate Guitar Hero and everything associated with it!

Played on expert, the drums in World Tour are a lot like playing on a real electronic practice pad. I agree that the GH "guitars" suck, but the drums are the most realistic part of any of these games. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2139#p44943
Pithecanthropus wrote:

1. As previously stated, I already play plenty of "real" instruments

2. Sorry Macskeeball, but as someone who does play plenty of "real" instruments, Guitar Hero, Rockband, and their ilk are really not the same, no matter how much you wish they were. Yes, that includes percussion. I don't think Kraftwerk is going to take you on.

3. Just because it's not the same as playing a real instrument in a real band does not mean it isn't tremendously fun
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Malkin wrote:
I don't think Kraftwerk is going to let you join the band.

As I said in the other thread I linked to, I wasn't under the impression it would make anyone an instant expert on the real thing, just that expert mode might give a head start for someone once they start taking real drum lessons. It seems like certain things could translate, such as developing limb independence.
Limb independence is probably the one thing it could help you with. Beyond that, I think it would be a challenge to unlearn bad habits developed from playing such a game. Not only are you likely to develop poor form, in my experience, the entire mindset is different. In some ways, I think it's more difficult for many trained musicians to play these games than it is for other folks; I can't imagine it's much easier trying to go the other way.
Kraftewerk doesn't care about playing instruments. They use computers! And that IS OK!

There's an upcoming Guitar-hero "game" for real guitars. For Mac and PC.

http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising ... tar-heroes

I like FPS games. Maybe I should get real guns. Finding real aliens and zombies to shoot at could be a little difficult though. But I bet I'd be good at it.
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Buy a guitar and spend all those hours you'd spend perfecting Guitar Hero on actually learning to play it.

fiddlesticks you. I'm tired of hearing this from people who purposefully come into a topic to whine about it.

You can learn to play a guitar and become the next Santana or you can learn a guitar and be the next Nickleback. Honestly, I don't want to take those chances. I'll take the three chords I know and not fool myself into thinking that I can ever be a coffee shop guitarist, much less someone who can play at a large scale venue.

As reiterated countless times for you before, the art and the simulation are not competing against each other. Just because you beat up hookers in GTAIV doesn't mean you have the makings to be a criminal. Just because you can play car simulations with million dollar vehicles doesn't mean you could or should ever be behind one. Just because someone plays America's Army doesn't mean they're cut out for military service.
EVERYBODY SING!

Smelly cat, smelly cat it's not your fault...
you rage you ruse
Conner Of Gallifrey
Pithecanthropus wrote:

You must be one of those people that doesn't watch tv nor play video games period, right? Because if we catch watching football on TV today, I have some choice words along the lines of "Why the fiddlesticks are you watching it when you can be outside playing you fuck-tard".
To deviate:

Yeah, I feel that way, too. So much for protecting the value of the IP. Naked Brothers Band? Geez.

At least this opens the gates for wasteful Christian rock that I like. Like Kutless or Underoath.

OH WAIT WE GOT THOSE ALREADY
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I'm waiting for Kraftwerk Hero.
BEE TEE DUBBAYOU

Quote:
According to a national survey conducted by musical instrument retailer Guitar Center, MTV Games' Rock Band and Activision's Guitar Hero are both contributing to "dramatic increases in the gamers' interest to own and play real instruments." Interestingly, the games also seemed to make musicians who play Guitar Hero or Rock Band want to use their real instruments more frequently as well.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/rock-ban ... struments/

Say it, Pith. Say it.

ET TU INDUSTRY?!
ukimalefu wrote:
Kraftewerk doesn't care about playing instruments. They use computers! And that IS OK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF6Uzzr-DEU :) So cool!
Macskeeball wrote:
Malkin wrote:
I don't think Kraftwerk is going to let you join the band.

As I said in the other thread I linked to, I wasn't under the impression it would make anyone an instant expert on the real thing, just that expert mode might give a head start for someone once they start taking real drum lessons. It seems like certain things could translate, such as developing limb independence.

Or, if you already have a percussion primer and have it in your mind translated which pad does what can turn into an actual motor-skills workings. See Kevin Pereira. He's played drums before, but not Welcome Home on any set other than on Rock Band.

I get how the five button guitars don't translate well to the real thing, but making the argument against drums and vocals... I find it to be silly. At least in Harmonix's corner you have actual musicians doubling as developers trying to take and make the most serious interpretation as they can. It's a given that you're not creating something, and that instead you're experiencing it. It's the same as if to say that someone shouldn't bother reading or comparing works of literature and should instead be trying to write some of their own.

This is starting to take off huge as an industry. I think the big thing is to use it as a catalyst instead of deriding people who mess around with it.

But honestly? Then again, the world doesn't need everyone to know how to play guitar. Or drums. Or sing. Because then who would be special? Who would land the record deals? You'll never get another Lennon, Santana, Norman or Denver if everyone knows their trade.
Phydeaux wrote:

But honestly? Then again, the world doesn't need everyone to know how to play guitar. Or drums. Or sing. Because then who would be special? Who would land the record deals? You'll never get another Lennon, Santana, Norman or Denver if everyone knows their trade.

BZZZT, Wrong answer.

There will always be geniuses, no matter how many people try to learn to play. There are so many variables when it comes to playing well, that simple practice and determination alone will not create a generation of exceptional musicians. there will always be something indefinable that sparks a musical genius that is beyond mere workmanlike ability to play an instrument.
Quote:
according to a truly shocking report in The Times of London, roughly half of the 3 to 18 year-olds in the UK have played a music game, and one fifth of them have been motivated by their playing to give a real instrument a try, which has led to 2.5 million new budding Ted Nugents (or Jared Letos) springing up.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/01/play ... g-besides/
Warin wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

BZZZT, Wrong answer.

There will always be geniuses, no matter how many people try to learn to play. There are so many variables when it comes to playing well, that simple practice and determination alone will not create a generation of exceptional musicians. there will always be something indefinable that sparks a musical genius that is beyond mere workmanlike ability to play an instrument.

This stems back to the whole point of the argument, though. Making music versus enjoying it, in whatever incarnation.
Playing a video game like Rock Band or Guitar Hero requires a much more mechanical thought process than playing "real" music. I'd like to see a study, because I have a feeling it engages different parts of the brain. When I play Guitar Hero, I feel like I'm in a Chucky Cheese Band. Is that a bad thing? Not for me.
Phydeaux wrote:
Warin wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

BZZZT, Wrong answer.

This stems back to the whole point of the argument, though. Making music versus enjoying it, in whatever incarnation.

Sure. And I agree with you on it... there is nothing wrong with rhythm games at all, and whomever uses the whole "why not spend the time learning a real instrument" are generally asses. Not everyone has the facility to learn a particular instrument. No matter how much I try, good guitar playing eludes me. I do know that I can play the saxophone, but a good sax is a buttload of money that I just dont have. And besides, I play Guitar Hero for fun... not because I want to learn an instrument :)
Conner Of Gallifrey
Warin wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
Warin wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

BZZZT, Wrong answer.

Sure. And I agree with you on it... there is nothing wrong with rhythm games at all, and whomever uses the whole "why not spend the time learning a real instrument" are generally asses. Not everyone has the facility to learn a particular instrument. No matter how much I try, good guitar playing eludes me. I do know that I can play the saxophone, but a good sax is a buttload of money that I just dont have. And besides, I play Guitar Hero for fun... not because I want to learn an instrument :)

Didn't you hear Pithecanthropus? We're not allowed to have fun.
Conner wrote:
Warin wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
Warin wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

BZZZT, Wrong answer.

Sure. And I agree with you on it... there is nothing wrong with rhythm games at all, and whomever uses the whole "why not spend the time learning a real instrument" argument are generally asses. Not everyone has the facility to learn a particular instrument. No matter how much I try, good guitar playing eludes me. I do know that I can play the saxophone, but a good sax is a buttload of money that I just dont have. And besides, I play Guitar Hero for fun... not because I want to learn an instrument :)

Didn't you hear Pithecanthropus? We're not allowed to have fun.

Clear? :D
BARENAKED LADIES NEXT WEEK AS ROCK BAND DLC

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Conner Of Gallifrey
Phydeaux wrote:
BARENAKED LADIES NEXT WEEK AS ROCK BAND DLC

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I want One Week SOOO Bad. Life, in a Nutshell would be great too.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
hey guys is Rockband 2 significantly better than Rockband? We played Rockband every day back in college but I've yet to play the second one, and I'm going to get one of them for my Wii. inputplzkthanx
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Rock Band vs Guitar Hero World Tour

Page: 1, 2