Consoles

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks)
Zapski wrote:
I was planning on the PS3 more for the BluRay and continuation of games I like (GranTurismo, MGS, and a few others).

So yeah, that's really it for me. I'm not a huge gamer.

I've also heard many bad things about Xbox 360 reliability. Everyone I know who has one, has had it returned for some kind of unrecoverable flaw. Good games or not, that sort of experience turns me off to a platform.

The PS3 is not about gaming, thats something you do on the side.

The 360s have better reliable these days, as in new ones, either way your covered for it by MS. And I've sent my 360 back twice now personally, many people have, some even more times, they still have them and use them because they are the best platform for gaming. Compared to a PS3 or Wii, the 360 would have to start stick fiddling my sister before I gave it up.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Marc wrote:
Zapski wrote:
I was planning on the PS3 more for the BluRay and continuation of games I like (GranTurismo, MGS, and a few others).

So yeah, that's really it for me. I'm not a huge gamer.

I've also heard many bad things about Xbox 360 reliability. Everyone I know who has one, has had it returned for some kind of unrecoverable flaw. Good games or not, that sort of experience turns me off to a platform.

The 360s have better reliable these days, as in new ones, either way your covered for it by MS. And I've sent my 360 back twice now personally, many people have, some even more times, they still have them and use them because they are the best platform for gaming. Compared to a PS3 or Wii, the 360 would have to start stick fiddling my sister before I gave it up.

Yes, the fact that the 360 outperforms despite such issues says something about the quality of the games/service IMHO.
user Stupid cockwomble
I mostly hate that group of cryptic symbols that pop up on the screen for various functions - there's really no explanation for them.
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
Marc wrote:

Yeah, that's kind of my thought as well.
So what I'm getting from all this is that Sony screwed the pooch. Its platform is a glorified movie player, and not a cheap one.

Are they stick fiddled, then? Sounds like they might be stick fiddled.
:worried:

just stop, you're embarrassing yourself worse than usual because you dont have anyway to obfuscate how little you know about this subject.
Conner Of Gallifrey
To be honest, Sony did sort of fiddlesticks themselves.
and yet both you and I own a PS3, I even own a game or two for them, and you bought it, and are playing blu rays on it as well... plenty of people are buying the console and buying movies and content. If this were summer of 2007 then yes, sony totally stick fiddled themselves but not as it stands.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Marc wrote:
and yet both you and I own a PS3

I wanted one but then the GoW trailers came out. Cemented the idea that I could live w/o Gran Turismo but not GoW. Even after all the exclusives were out not one raised my Care-O-Meter much towards the PS3. Then GT was delayed, then gimped and at that point tuned out to all PS3 news.

Today I'd buy one only for Blu-Ray. Too bad I have hundreds of DVDs that play just fine on the 360 and I'm not willing to make that re-investment of upgrading my DVDs to Blu-Ray.

Sony's problem is they made a hard to code for gaming machine that isn't really sure it wants to be a gaming machine. Last thing I need in my entertainment rack is a piece of equipment with an identity crisis.
Conner Of Gallifrey
The PS3 upconverts nicely. And I think them selling me a PS3 at a loss, then not making any money off of game sales sort of fiddlesticks's them over a bit Marc.
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
::buys a PS3::
::sticks to his Wii for games::
Yeah. I have exactly one PS3 game... Metal Gear Cut Scene. And depending on it's trade in value, I might not even have that tomorrow (I really want Call of Duty: World at War).

There are no compelling PS3 exclusive games for me to buy. I really want to want Little Big Planet, but platformers just really aren't my thing, y'know?

Wheras Left4Dead looks really awesome, and Halo Wars will be out in February... and I want both of those. Add to that the fact that between the people from CH54/Macstack and my gaming buddies from another forum... I would be giving up almost my entire gaming crew by buying PS3 on the multiplatform games... and its just too difficult to replace y'all, y'know?
Conner wrote:
The PS3 upconverts nicely. And I think them selling me a PS3 at a loss, then not making any money off of game sales sort of fiddlesticks's them over a bit Marc.

they sold xboxs at a loss too, and plenty of people just bought them to turn into linux servers or XBMS or whatever.

Whatever happens I dont think they *mind* people buying the console.
crumble Bow ties are Cool
3/5 for accuracy
Marc wrote:
3/5 for accuracy

How do you get 3/5 when there are only 4 console options in the chart? :D
FutureDreamz Matthew 5:5
Banned User(s)
The same way you got the chart.
its a rating, not that you got 3 of 5 right :P
Marc wrote:
its a rating, not that you got 3 of 5 right :P

I can't quite claim credit for it anyway. Found it online, thought it fit pretty well here.
Totally wrong though. For some categories, PC gaming is better (like Real Time Strategy and MMORPGs). But as a whole, the 360 is a far better online gaming experience than the PC ever was, at least for me. But it is a highly amusing flowchart.
sean Royal Wombat
Hey!!! I resent that chart! Just because i have a 360 and not a wii doesn't mean i don't have real life friends! It just means i have exceptionally good taste in gaming consoles, and decided not to buy an overpriced bit of shiny plastic that you need to shake a stick at to make work!

:: rant over ::

It is a highly amusing chart, tho. So, 0/5 for accuracy, but 5/5 for funny.
user Stupid cockwomble
Should have added Mac to that chart.
sean Royal Wombat
user Stupid cockwomble
sean Royal Wombat
dv
I have a GC I used a few times. I played WoW last night for the first time in a couple months because EVE had an extended downtime.

What the hell's going on? I had to wait like 15 minutes to log. That's never happened before.
dvpierce wrote:
I have a GC I used a few times. I played WoW last night for the first time in a couple months because EVE had an extended downtime.

What the hell's going on? I had to wait like 15 minutes to log. That's never happened before.

the loop, you are out of it.
dv
Marc wrote:
dvpierce wrote:

the loop, you are out of it.

I would have expected huge numbers of players to reup their accounts [i]after[/] the expansion dropped.
SpacemanSpiff Resident Gimp
I got a PS3 for the Blu-ray and the Burnout Paradise.

I still use the Blu-ray but I don't seem to have time for games.

Maybe since I am unemployed I could... Well, "No". I should be finding employment.

By the way, blu-ray.com has a story about Walmart wanting to offer a $128 blu-ray player.
God, I love Burnout. I really wish that developers could knuckle MS and Sony to get cross-platform play to be a reality. Because in the mean time they're not speaking volumes about the superiority of their service; they're just annoying customers. I'll keep dreaming.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Consoles

Page: 1, 2