Consoles

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot]
Post Reply
I'm tempted! I've been playing a few GameCube games on the 'Cube in inherited when my little brother got a Wii. My number one reason NOT to get a console is still WoW, but setting that aside, which console? The last time I was well-versed in consoles was the Super Nintendo.

As cool as the Wii is, I see it as a lot of fun socially, and not something I think I'd really enjoy playing alone. I have friends with Wiis, and am not buying a console for a group, more for when it's just me (or me and one other person).

So the questions is, which console? PS3, or Xbox 360? Discuss...
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
User avatar
PS3, 'cause hey, free BluRay player.
I'd get a 360 first if I was to buy a console, but, I hear online play is free on the PS3, is this true?
Conner wrote:
360.

Needs more reasons! :squint:
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Okay, all the good games are on the 360. Sony is the devil. Multiplayer isn't a joke, but yes you pay for it. Cheaper. Better install base.

I have both, and I've never even bothered to buy a PS3 game yet - 4 months later.
sean Royal Wombat
User avatar
I agree. Get the 360. I love mine... it has the better games. Yes, you do have to pay for multiplayer over the innernet, but it's worth it.
Bugger, how much is the monthly? If I'm paying for WoW, I don't know about another bill...
MacAddict4Life wrote:
Bugger, how much is the monthly? If I'm paying for WoW, I don't know about another bill...


I believe it is 50 a year.
juice Inadvertently correct
User avatar
Conner wrote:
Okay, all the good games are on the 360. Sony is the devil. Multiplayer isn't a joke, but yes you pay for it. Cheaper. Better install base.

I have both, and I've never even bothered to buy a PS3 game yet - 4 months later.


This reason is invalid. Microsoft is not evil?
Zap Hussein Ski wrote:
Bluray player, 'cause hey, free gaming console.



MS games department is good. The fact that I have to use a 3rd party program to access the media content on my mac through my networked 360 is stupid not evil (connect360). The 360 has a very large installed base, great online play *the* only way to play multiplayer games if you have a group you can rely on IMHO for literally "pennies a day". Has the majority of this generations must have games, human waste, the PS3 finally got bioshock at least... Controller feels nice in your hand, occasionally still shits itself and dies but dont worry its under warranty. "Meh" backwards compatibility with Xbox games (hit or miss), not that it makes much a difference to me, I have very few Xbox games I'd like to still be playing.

Sony, I believe, actually hates gamers. They're just uncouth individuals. the PS3 is a blu ray player and the best upscaling dvd player money can buy I'd recommend it to anyone with an HDTV and watches movies even just regular SD dvds, it can also play select games. If PS3 exclusives matter to you, then I'd tip myself that way but as we saw with final fantasy earlier this year, even human waste that no one would have thought wouldn't be a PS3 exclusive could go cross platform. Controller is ok, less ergonomic but at least all the controllers on the shelf now are dual shock 3s.... Zero backwards compatibility with PS2 games with current versions on the shelf, wastes me off because I have a lot of PS2 games I like. All PS3s can play PS1 games just fine though and there is still some gems I play.

The wii...well if its not a party game, I'd rather be playing it on one of the other two systems. The 'waggle' just isn't fun when your by yourself on hour 3 of zelda anymore. You buy a kart game, sports, wii fit maybe, raving rabbids, possibly smash brothers and then it sits and collects dust when you dont have people in your house. Laughable online multiplayer support. However; extremely excellent selection of old video games and new original wii ware games to download (read: purchase), if your into that sort of thing. Also direct playing of GC games and GC controller support, which is probably the finest controller ever made for video game consoles.
sean Royal Wombat
User avatar
agedgruel wrote:
This reason is invalid. Microsoft is not evil?


Not the games department.
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
User avatar
Isn't the Game department Bungie?
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
Which is reason enough not to get a 360. fiddlesticks Microsoft for buying Bungie, and fiddlesticks Bungie for allowing themselves to be bought.
Zap Hussein Ski wrote:
Isn't the Game department Bungie?

Bungie made Halo for MS thats it. They've done other things before and will other great things after now that they aren't required to program exclusively for the 360. And dan, 1999 called, they want their outrage back.
Okay, here's Shnicky's question: I would much prefer to go with the 360 because a) it's way cheaper and b) there are way more games for it, but whenever I've seen the PS3 I've been blown away by the graphics. So will, say, Fallout 3 seem kinda crappy on the 360 compared to the PS3? Or will they be really similar?
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Okay, here's Shnicky's question: I would much prefer to go with the 360 because a) it's way cheaper and b) there are way more games for it, but whenever I've seen the PS3 I've been blown away by the graphics. So will, say, Fallout 3 seem kinda crappy on the 360 compared to the PS3? Or will they be really similar?


Actually, Fallout 3 is graphically better on the 360 (by a marginal amount) than the PS3.

Wanna buy a copy of Fallout 3 for the 360? 45 shipped ;)
How can the graphics be better on the 360? I thought the PS3 was this breakthrough graphics dealie.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
How can the graphics be better on the 360? I thought the PS3 was this breakthrough graphics dealie.


That's the theory. In practice, though, multiplatform games are generally a dead heat, or the 360 edges out the PS3 in one way, the PS3 will beat the 360 in another way.

From what I've heard, coding for the PS3 is significantly more difficult than it is for the 360... and the PS3's graphics subsystem is not necessarily better than the 360's.

From my perspective: I own like 8 360 games and 1 PS3 game... and I've only owned the 360 3 1/2 months longer than the PS3. The controller on the 360 is also way better than the PS3's... unless you are a long time PS2 owner/player.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
How can the graphics be better on the 360? I thought the PS3 was this breakthrough graphics dealie.

this is where your zero understanding of coding comes into play.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Check out the differences in graphics between two exclusives for both systems, you'll see they are about the same. I recommend the following two, they are both recent (MGS is a month or three old, but I think it's a good example of the PS3):

XBOX 360 - Gears of War 2
Playstaion 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4

The reason exclusives are the key is that they show what happens when a development team spends all its' effort getting the most out of the system. Multi-platform games, like Fallout 3, are going to look almost identical because they want everything to be the same between the two usually (it's cheaper that way).
Hm, interesting.

So why the fiddlesticks should anyone shell out $400 for a PS3, then? Or is this why their market share stinks?
Dan wrote:
Which is reason enough not to get a 360. fiddlesticks Microsoft for buying Bungie, and fiddlesticks Bungie for allowing themselves to be bought.

Bungie would already be dead if they didn't get bought by Microsoft.

There probably would've never have been Halo 2.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Hm, interesting.

So why the fiddlesticks should anyone shell out $400 for a PS3, then? Or is this why their market share stinks?


LittleBIGPlanet. I used to say MotorStorm was a wholly unique experience, but I've found myself playing more Burnout Paradise when I want an arcade racer fix, and it's cross-platform.

Otherwise the people who will wind up buying PS3s that haven't yet are those that want to play the continuation of series that they loved on the PS2 (Final Fantasy [oh, wait.], Kingdom Hearts, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, etc.)

It is the best Blu-Ray player, though. Kind of embarrassing that Kaz's bullet point has become the selling point. That'll quickly become less relevant, though, as Blu-Ray standalones come down in price.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
So why the fiddlesticks should anyone shell out $400 for a PS3, then? Or is this why their market share stinks?


Phydeaux wrote:
It is the best Blu-Ray player, though. Kind of embarrassing that Kaz's bullet point has become the selling point. That'll quickly become less relevant, though, as Blu-Ray standalones come down in price.


That's why I own one.
Conner wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:
It is the best Blu-Ray player, though. Kind of embarrassing that Kaz's bullet point has become the selling point. That'll quickly become less relevant, though, as Blu-Ray standalones come down in price.


That's why I own one.



Also because I dont see the blu ray players coming down in price, nor do I see current models gaining the flexibility of the PS3's firmware upgradability.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
User avatar
Microsoft should just release a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360 already. It would crush the PS3.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
I'm unsure I'd need three optical drives for my console.
Macskeeball wrote:
Microsoft should just release a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360 already. It would crush the PS3.

no it wouldnt
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
User avatar
Yes it would. :der:

Seriously though, Blu-Ray seems to be the primary reason to buy a PS3. If the 360 with its larger installed base and larger library of games were to get Blu-Ray playback as well, it would take away much of the incentive for buying a PS3. What would be left? A handful of exclusive games? Perhaps I should have been more clear in my previous post, but I was talking about crushing the PS3 in terms of sales, not necessarily in terms of quality of Blu-Ray playback if that's what you were thinking.

As for Conner, HD adoption is still relatively low. Most people wisely stayed out of the format war and thus don't have an HD-DVD add-on.
Dan Airman Dan
User avatar
Phydeaux wrote:
Dan wrote:
Which is reason enough not to get a 360. fiddlesticks Microsoft for buying Bungie, and fiddlesticks Bungie for allowing themselves to be bought.

Bungie would already be dead if they didn't get bought by Microsoft.

There probably would've never have been Halo 2.


As far as I'm concerned, Halo 2 doesn't exist. I've never looked at it, let alone played it. It's not on my Mac.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Macskeeball wrote:
Yes it would. :der:

Seriously though, Blu-Ray seems to be the primary reason to buy a PS3. If the 360 with its larger installed base and larger library of games were to get Blu-Ray playback as well, it would take away much of the incentive for buying a PS3. What would be left? A handful of exclusive games? Perhaps I should have been more clear in my previous post, but I was talking about crushing the PS3 in terms of sales, not necessarily in terms of quality of Blu-Ray playback if that's what you were thinking.

As for Conner, HD adoption is still relatively low. Most people wisely stayed out of the format war and thus don't have an HD-DVD add-on.


Lulz. Microsoft, Selling a blu-ray add on for the Xbox. Neither Sony nor Microsoft would go for that.
holy crap, bitter much, dan? :p

Anyway skeeball, no. Sony loses money on every ps3 system sale. They make their money back on software and accessories sales.

Games are a higher profit margin than movies (less total cost in producing, 3x recovery at retail compared to Blu-ray movie). If people are buying more movies for their ps3 than games, it takes Sony longer to recover their cost.

If a drive attachment came out for 360, ms is on the hook for licensing the tech, and Sony gets insta-profit for not having to recover a hardware cost.

This post could've waited until I had a keyboard.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
User avatar
Sony is just one member of the Blu-Ray group, and I heard not that long ago on Buzz Out Loud that MS already has a Blu-Ray drive in the works.
Macskeeball wrote:
Sony is just one member of the Blu-Ray group,


... What? No.

Sony gets a nice chunk of every blu-ray disc sale. Regardless of who is the content generator, it's in the licensing agreements with them.

Quote:
and I heard not that long ago on Buzz Out Loud that MS already has a Blu-Ray drive in the works.

If there's any discussions going on, it's about ms' optical drive options beyond the 360.

I'm 95% confident you're not going to see the blu-ray equivalent of the hd-DVD external drive
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
I sure hope Sony improved the interface for playing movies over that crap they had for the PS2.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
With the remote, it's not that bad - at all.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
User avatar
Welcome to 2007 - Bungie leaves Microsoft

It says a lot when you've out sold your competitor on their home turf. Numerous times.
Larger installed base = Moar games
Not confused between game and movie player
Online and mulitplayer is well packaged and matured.
XBL is $50 a year
PS3 is not superior
Quote:
Now that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 specifications have been announced, it is possible to do a real world performance comparison of the two systems.

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:

* Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.
* The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.
* Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance
* The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.
* Memory System Bandwidth
* The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3's by five times.

I thought Google was the new devil. :der:
Conner wrote:
With the remote, it's not that bad - at all.

Hell, it's better than my Panasonic home theater.
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
User avatar
I was planning on the PS3 more for the BluRay and continuation of games I like (GranTurismo, MGS, and a few others).

So yeah, that's really it for me. I'm not a huge gamer.

I've also heard many bad things about Xbox 360 reliability. Everyone I know who has one, has had it returned for some kind of unrecoverable flaw. Good games or not, that sort of experience turns me off to a platform.

Oh, and I want a Wii, but mostly for WiiFit. Which is too pricey, imo.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

Consoles

Page: 1, 2