Pokémon Go (No thread yet? I'm surprised!)

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], Lombo, macaddict4life
ukimalefu Canadized
LOL

And its still a massive intrusion on personal security
Kirk posted:
LOL

And its still a massive intrusion on personal security

Um, no, it is not.
I understand there was a patch to fix the problem mentioned about giving full access to Google account information. But its still a massive security hole.
You give away your GPS location continuously.
They have access to your cameras.
They will sell your data to unspecified third parties.
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/article/ ... rity-risk/

And we haven't even talked about muggers and thieves hanging around pokemon hot spots.

its got Egypt rattled
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/pokem ... -509023336
user Stupid cockwomble
Quote:
Al-Azhar did issue a fatwa against the original Pokemon game in 2001, however, decrying its "Darwinian ideas" (an apparent reference to most Pokemon's "evolution" from one form to another).

The edict added that the game "instills in the child's mind fictions that have no basis and supernatural [creatures] that don't exist in nature,"...

Oh the irony burns so much.
Kirk posted:
I understand there was a patch to fix the problem mentioned about giving full access to Google account information
[snip]

THAT "patch" was merely to correct the wording in order to specify the information was being given to Pokemon Go from the user. There was NEVER "full access" as people were misinterpreting that fragment.
On the other hand: here's how to opt out of Pokemon Go's TOS.

Please note that you have 30 days after first signing-in for the game to do this opt out, otherwise you agree to the TOS as written.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
I'm getting a new phone in the next couple of days, and I think I'm going to put Pokémon Go on it just to see what it's like.
TOS
we'll miss you, man
I'm leaving instructions with my lawyer that if he doesn't hear from me every 24 hours, he should call the police.
TOS
downloaded it today and played it with the whole family -- lots of fun! there were a couple other families at the place we went to collect the thingies

then it spotted one in a neighbour's backyard, but we skipped that one
user Stupid cockwomble
::waits for Pokemon Get Off My Lawn::
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
user posted:

ukimalefu Canadized
user posted:

That's fantastic. :)
Conner Of Gallifrey
Yes, go to the bar so you can watch some sportsball and obsess about that for the rest of your life. Solid life choices indeed.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... e30926486/

Quote:
For mobile gamers looking to catch ’em all on the new Pokemon Go augmented reality app, running out of battery is as big a problem as running out of Pokeballs.

As millions of Americans go on long stakeouts for Pikachus or Bulbasaurs, they’re enlisting the help of battery cases to ensure their phones don’t run out of juice right before the big score.

According to Wall Street analysts, that’s responsible for a surge in the shares of Zagg Inc., which manufactures battery cases. It’s jumped 18.4 per cent over the past three sessions.

It would be nice if Pokemon would get people to stop fetishizing super thin phones with lousy battery life once and for all. Even an extra mm of vertical height would barely be noticeable, yet yield an extra Ah.
I figured an extra battery had to do with all the extra wires I see connected to people's phones lately. I saw one kid with three wires coming out of his phone. One was for his ear buds, and the other two disappeared into his backpack. I figure one was for a battery, but I couldn't figure out how the third wire was even connecting to his phone, let alone what it was to.
dv
Does anybody know who/what decided which locations would be pokestops? Seems like every other one I pass is a church. And not the "normal" churches like Lutherans or Catholics, no, I wouldn't be that lucky. They're either the crazy ones like Jehovah's Witnesses or the psycho uber-evangelical outfits.

If it's crowdsourced, I want my house on the list. Screw this crap.
TOS
dv posted:
Does anybody know who/what decided which locations would be pokestops? Seems like every other one I pass is a church. And not the "normal" churches like Lutherans or Catholics, no, I wouldn't be that lucky. They're either the crazy ones like Jehovah's Witnesses or the psycho uber-evangelical outfits.

not quite the same, but ...

http://www.imore.com/how-place-lure-pokemon-go
One of the Pokéstops near me (walking distance) is a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement office.
dv posted:

This ^ but all the gyms are at churches by me!
There was a thing on iO9 about how so many of the Pokéstops and gyms or whatever are churches. I'm very curious to know how that happened.

Also: I'd like the construction site across the street from me to be a stop.
I rated it 1 star, uninstalled it than removed it from my app list after the last update they made which deliberately removed the Pokemon tracking feature.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Aaron_R posted:
I rated it 1 star, uninstalled it than removed it from my app list after the last update they made which deliberately removed the Pokemon tracking feature.

They removed it since it wasn't working correctly (it was showing all Pokémon as 3 tracks away) - they're reworking it for it to be re-added in a future patch.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Aaron_R posted:

Man, you sure showed them.
Niantic could avoid grumpy players if they explained their plans and updates in forums or twitter or something. Near complete silence from the software maker is not a good thing.
nobody gave a crap about the footprint tracking the tracking which they disabled and people are mad about is all the 3rd party apps and sites which gave you a map overlay with currently available pokemon and the timer on them before they disappeared.

Quote:

I'm sure that feature will resurface as a stand-alone app later. So Niantic can't block it. Not to worry. ;)
Niantic might have decided that ability removed randomness from the game or something like that.
TOS
players swarm taipei in effort to catch a snorlax: https://youtu.be/MoYjVTbLWyo
While the populartity of the game has considerably waned--I read one report that monthly renewals was off by 70% from the peak--"Guide for Pokemon Go" on Android proves to be malware which roots Android devices.

There were over a half-million downloads. It was able to get onto the Google Play Store by using several layers of defense to obscure its malware capabilities.

As yet its only apparent effect has been to direct more ads to the rooted devices.
dv
3982 5714 4654
Holy human waste!

I can't believe it's been four years since Pokéman Go came out. I had hoped it would pave the wave for a D&D game in the same style. Alas!
I mean, there's a Harry Potter game. That's kind of like D&D, right? ;)
I didn't even know there was an HP game. Huh. If I were a mega-fan I might invest.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Pokémon Go (No thread yet? I'm surprised!)

Page: 1, 2