Pokémon Go (No thread yet? I'm surprised!)

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Are any of you playing this thing? What's all the fuss about? It's been all over the news, Nintendo is worth quintupletybajillion more dollars today than it was last week, and yesterday everyone in my neighborhood was playing it. (I know because I was peeking over their shoulders.) There were even some muscled-up dudes in the gym talking about it—definitely not the kind of guys you think of when you imagine the typical Pokemon player.

Is the game really mind-blowingly amazing, or is it just a new fad? Since I have the summer off, should I bother seeing if it will entertain me?
dv
I fiddled with it for a bit on my phone the other day. Found two pokemon without leaving my couch. Seems like it could be fun in a park or something.

There aren't a lot of games that use augmented reality. And the game is free. So I can see it being pretty popular/novel.

The average pokemon player is like 30 years old. Those muscled up guys at the gym were probably playing it 20 years ago and never stopped.
juice Inadvertently correct
The game is free? Are there ads? I heard on the news Nintendo made $9 billion last week on the game.
user Stupid cockwomble
Lots of stories about finding dead bodies and getting robbed.
dv
juice posted:
The game is free? Are there ads? I heard on the news Nintendo made $9 billion last week on the game.

It's typical free-to-play - you can buy in-game credits that get you in-game supplies that get you from point A to B faster. (More and better pokeballs, etc.)
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I won't bite, because I'm totally not interested. I go for a walk just about every day, and I look at my neighbor's flower beds, and clouds.

My paranoid friends are claiming the app was invented by the NSA.

When I was young, if you wanted to run around and chase things that weren't there, you had to drop acid first.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I'm also at a loss as to what the attraction is for this game.

Geocaching? Sure. That's kind of cool. Walking around looking for virtual thingies? Not so much.
user Stupid cockwomble
Separate from the NSA paranoia, Nintendo is supposedly somehow making money by collecting tons of data.

I hate in-app purchases though. I especially hate when it feels like you have to pay in order to "win." I'd rather just pay a fee for a game and end it at that.

Augmented reality games sound cool in concept though. At some point they'll get mixed with LARPing and then we'll finally have the apocalypse we've all been waiting for.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I have never played Pokeman, and never plan on starting.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Mustapha Mond posted:
Separate from the NSA paranoia, Nintendo is supposedly somehow making money by collecting tons of data.

I hate in-app purchases though. I especially hate when it feels like you have to pay in order to "win." I'd rather just pay a fee for a game and end it at that.

Augmented reality games sound cool in concept though. At some point they'll get mixed with LARPing and then we'll finally have the apocalypse we've all been waiting for.

The IAPs seem to just attract PokéMon to you; not really giving you much of an edge. They're also communal; so anyone using one benefits everyone around them. As far as IAP goes; very light. Surprising, actually.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 ... ch-em-all/

Quote:
Cops warn Pokémon Go players: Please don’t trespass to catch ‘em all

Pokemon Go is supposedly a huge security hole. Wait for the patch at the very least before playing this game.
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/s ... hu-n607841
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2768 ... minent.php
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Pokemon Go is supposedly a huge security hole. Wait for the patch at the very least before playing this game.
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/s ... hu-n607841
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2768 ... minent.php

It's a security hole so much in that it let's Google (Yes, that's who owns the company behind the game) into… Google.

:shrug:
ukimalefu Canadized
Pokémon Go Updates With a Fix for Google Permissions

http://lifehacker.com/pokemon-go-on-iph ... 1783531523

-

How to Revoke Pokémon Go’s Extensive Permissions to Your Google Account

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-revoke-pok ... 1783466118

-

I never was into pokemon, the anime or video games.
Conner - So I should just go ahead and give the bank which holds my mortgage a key to my house, because, hey, they could get in anyway if they REALLY wanted to.
dv
I noticed when I played the one time that I could log in either with my Pokemon ID or with my Google+ Account.

I just assume that when I authenticate w/ Facebook, Google, etc., that I'm giving the app in question access to my account.

I tend not to do that.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
On the privacy front it turned out that the problem was with Google's wording. When Pokemon Go is installed there is a warning saying that for the installation to proceed that it must have "full access" to the user's Google account. Of course a lot of people balked at the idea of "full access" but Google says that what that really meant was granting access to Pokemon Go to the e-mail address and phone number of the user that was stored in the user's account.

So, no: Pokemon Go will not be able to control your Google mail account not delete your files stored in Google Docs nor will it be able to spam all of your contacts.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Conner - So I should just go ahead and give the bank which holds my mortgage a key to my house, because, hey, they could get in anyway if they REALLY wanted to.

Ugh. I'm already over this game. I have zero interest in playing it; and here I am defending it. fiddlesticks it; PokéMon is the DEVIL MAN. THE DEVIL! :evil:
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I've had a strong interest in augmented reality for years, but it's usually feeble attempts that go no where. This doesn't seem to go too far beyond what's come before, but I'm still hoping for improvements.

Go blue team!
user Stupid cockwomble
go team rocket
Conner posted:
Kirk posted:

Ugh. I'm already over this game. I have zero interest in playing it; and here I am defending it. fiddlesticks it; PokéMon is the DEVIL MAN. THE DEVIL! :evil:

Well, whether you like it or not, is a different topic. ;)
I've not played it, though if the game-play like conventional pokemon, I give it a meh.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Conner posted:
Kirk posted:

Well, whether you like it or not, is a different topic. ;)
I've not played it, though if the game-play like conventional pokemon, I give it a meh.

I haven't either. My entire Facebook feed, and Slack are full of it though. Jesus Christ. :lol:
dv
My GPS does not work on the toilet.

I can't link to it, but I thought this was particularly amusing/distressing:

Quote:
One image circulating online appears to show a player encountering an unsettling digital critter inside the museum: a Pokémon called Koffing that emits poisonous gas floating by a sign for the museum's Helena Rubinstein Auditorium. The auditorium shows the testimonials of Jews who survived the gas chambers.

Also,

Quote:
Although the museum is uncomfortable with its Pokémon infestation, most of the players building up their digital critter collection inside the building at least didn't seem to mean any disrespect.

"It's not like we came here to play," said Angie, a 37-year-old member of Dustin's group who also declined to share her last name for privacy reasons, "But gotta catch 'em all."

Though I should also say any game that gets people outdoors and walking around is to be applauded for that. Finding a way to get couch potatoes to move is awesome.
user Stupid cockwomble
My work chatroom has been full of it - how I know it exists at all.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I ain't got time for this human waste.
user Stupid cockwomble
I like to game on my couch with a little drool running down my chin.
TOS
maurvir posted:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 ... ch-em-all/

Quote:
Cops warn Pokémon Go players: Please don’t trespass to catch ‘em all

i'm waiting for someone to get shot over this

already there have been muggings

personally i've never been into pokemon and i absolutely detest the pay-to-win model -- i think it's going to ruin gaming if it's not stopped

still, i think this is a clever use of augmented reality, it's about time someone made proper use of it
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Pokémon GO is now officially part of my job duties.
dv
Malkin posted:
Pokémon GO is now officially part of my job duties.

... are you hiring?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
While riding my bike in Warintown, I needed to dodge hordes of young adults wandering around aimlessly.

My favourite part though, was this young dirty druggy, tripping out while running around playing pokenmon yellow.
I live in what's designed to be a "walkable community"—basically townhomes and apartments blended into a bunch of retail and restaurants. The Target store, linked above, is at the intersection of Strawberry and District (on the map), and both the store and the intersection seem to be major Pokémon hubs. Absolutely mobbed with Poké-players. People are walking into each other, walking into doors—I've never seen people so entranced by their cellphone screens.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/12/woman-uses ... boyfriend/

Remember folks, Pokemon Go uses your GPS and geotags your catches. Consider that before "Catching them all" at your ex's house if you are currently dating someone else. :facepalm:
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
#Wokemon

Quote:
This is about Pokémon Go, of course it’s about Pokémon Go — how else could you describe a world in grown adults in their millions are milling about aimlessly, staring at their phones, collecting digital rats, reliving a stupid childhood, and shrinking all the while into inattentive sugar-zapped brats?

All this is a strong critique of the game, but it’s not the one I’m interested in pursuing. Never mind the infantilized adults; what do children, actual children, do? At play, in their masses and unmediated by anything other than the imagination, they do something spontaneous and incredible: they create new worlds.

These worlds are generally not in the form of a pure escapist fantasy, but a radical reinterpretation of actual existence — the invention of new ways of mapping and systematizing reality, a series of experiments in the plasticity of space.

Start with sidewalks: if you step on the cracks, something horrible will happen to you; you’ll break your back, or a bear will eat you up. Sometimes the floor is lava, and a pyroclastic code transforms the dull world of objects. Sometimes a gang of children will turn into astronauts and aliens; parked cars swell to the size of planets, falling leaves thunder past as treacherous asteroid fields.

Everything is alive with potential significations, the world exists to be knocked down and rebuilt. And this is the promise of Pokémon Go: all you need to do is download the app, and you’re suddenly thrust into a different world, a bright and energetic version of reality stalked by incredible monsters.

All this should be of interest to the Left; after all, one of the most enduring revolutionary slogans of recent times states that “another world is possible.” As Marxists, we should be interested in changing the world — not just altering government policy, or even swapping one ruling class for another, but swapping the human experience of reality from one that is alienated to one that is liberated.

In his 1844 Manuscripts, Marx describes the subject-object relation that results from unalienated labour: “The object of labour is the objectification of man’s species life: for he duplicates himself not only, as in consciousness, intellectually, but also actively, in reality, and therefore he contemplates himself in a world that he has created.” In Heidegger the condition of Dasein (the human Being) is Geworfenheit, thrown-ness, of being pitched into the dejectedness of what indifferently is.

Marx sees a way out of alienation in the intentional exercise of consciousness on the world. And this free, spontaneous, transformational exercise of species-being really does take place all around us. For all the terrors and cruelties of infantile phenomenology (and we shouldn’t valorize children too much — after all, another almost inevitable feature of their play is the systematic bullying of the weak), nobody could see in children pretending to be explorers or bank robbers the chains and drudgery of alienated work.

If something like Pokémon Go really could turn adults into children again, it might have some value. What it actually does is very different.

Where I live, in southeast London, I find Poké Stops at Nigerian churches and local greengrocers; the National Rail station is a gym. All fantasy coalesces around fixed points of interest. We’re back to Heidegger: this is a world into which I’ve been thrown.

The power to actively impact this augmented reality belongs only to the company’s executives, and the power of children’s play has been subjected to another round of primitive accumulation and alienation. Our world does not become entirely other; instead, a new stratum is added to slot effortlessly into the tedium of daily life.

For the player of Pokémon Go, the injunction is to obey. Real human bodies are tamed and directed by dangling virtual lures: businesses can buy in-game items that will tempt customers into their establishments; the state could probably quell an uprising by scattering hundreds of rare Pokémon away from the central square. If they wanted to, the game’s creators could send people leaping willingly off cliffs, dawdling on train tracks, running into forest fires.

It’s a technology of biopolitics, something that speaks in one voice to the atomized millions and in its own small way helps to direct their lives. For the moment its injunctions are mild, but their mildness is that of the bourgeois ideal raised to an imperturbable universal.

Walk around. Explore your neighborhood. Visit the park. Take in the sights. Have your fun. Pokémon Go is coercion, authority, a command issuing from out of a blank universe, which blasts through social and political cleavages to finally catch ‘em all. It must be resisted.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Pokémon Go (No thread yet? I'm surprised!)

Page: 1, 2