Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20
Online now: Google [Bot], Yori
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
I must admit, I've been enjoying egging peeps to attack Guldan at the very end of the Broken Isles invasion sequence. :shifty:
One guy even tried three times.

When Tirion was killed (I guess? fiddlesticks man) the whole time he was there I was like: "God damn it, this would be the one time in the history of the game that Leap of Faith would be useful… and it won't let me do it."

Got some chuckles from the other guys doing it with me. :D
At the next opportunity after Tirion dies. Jaina creates her second ice bridge and we all gallop up it, over a rise and there's Guldan standing at the far end of a medium sized flat area. Go over there and try beating on him.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
At the next opportunity after Tirion dies. Jaina creates her second ice bridge and we all gallop up it, over a rise and there's Guldan standing at the far end of a medium sized flat area. Go over there and try beating on him.

Oh, I saw someone get murdered. ;)

I had to res them. :P
Let them walk. They respawn at the far end of that flat area.
Since the Horde forces are protecting Sylvanas from a branch of Guldan's forces attacking the ridge she is on opposite of the Alliance forces, we cannot do that.

I did give momentary thought to using my mage's Slow Fall to have her land BEHIND Guldan. I had run the scenario on my hunter first so I knew what to expect. That might have been (almost certainly futile) fun.

Maybe I'll ask a mage to cast Slow Fall on one of my other toons....

Though I suspect that Horde toons simply will not be allowed to leave that ridge at all, or any Slow Falls would be insta-cancelled and any toons jumping off will fall to a quick death in time to be revived to join the "real" fight with the Horde forces.
I've not done a Hordie through this sequence yet. That's up for this weekend. ;)
So try it with an engineer and pop parachute cloak if the slow-fall fails. Not like that would likely save you in any case.

I'm hoping Tirion's death is a fake and the light really does save him. My guess is Blizz won't tell us, if he's still alive, until the end of this expansion.
Hmm, my second hunter is an engineer, though I haven't even looked through Icy-Veins to see its recommendations for beast mastery hunters (my main hunter is marksman). I'm leaning to keeping the hunter beast master but I am tempted to switch him to marksman just for simplicity.

I'll let ya know what happens.
Conner Of Gallifrey
So, I just watched the Horde cinematics (I'm Alliance) and… wow. Did not see that coming.
Yeah, nicely done. I did the invasion on a few hordies now. That ties the different invasion start sequences together nicely.
Hmm.

OK, I have been working through old habits and maintaining my garrisons on my 7 level 100 toons. Now 3 of them are in basic maintenance mode in that I'm just having them gather all of the admittedly dated Warlords mats that the garrison produces, but on my destruction warlock I kept an eye on the clock: the time it took for him to do that garrison maintenance (about 20 minutes) and then run through one random and a second--to complete tavern quests--heroic 5man dungeon and then hit two invasions somewhere in Azeroth was about 1.5 hours in total. I have a total of 4 DPS toons which are Legion-ready (I have no tanks or healers), so just those 4 toons will take about 5-6 hours to completely run through ALL of these daily chores. Even if I kept those 4 toons to just repelling invasions in Azeroth, at about 45 minutes per toon that is still about 3 hours (and <yawn> they are VERY boring).

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Perhaps I should simply give up on the garrisons altogether--after all I have literally hundreds if not (tens of!) thousands of mats stored on my toons or on my bank alts for those mats which are not soulbound, so I'm unlikely to run out of any of those before Legion drops at the of this month. It's not as if my garrison forces or ships generate anything truly useful now. Practically all gear pieces that drop from those are just so much Draenic Dust to be created to be "up-converted" to higher level mats at the enchantment huts that each of my toons has in their garrisons so my mage--who is my enchanter/tailor--has over 6500 Temporal Crystals. Mind you: that total is AFTER all of the new enchantments that each of my Legion-ready toons required.

But old patterns developed over many months die VERY hard.
Just when the posts had me missing WoW...
dv
Sounds like work.
I'm still making 30 slot bags for alts. The rest of my crafters are getting a brief burst to create pieces for appearances, but that's about it.

Dude, you're suppose to SELL excess mats and crafted items for gold. ;) Back near the start when they were worth something. Now . . .
I kept back about 50 temporal shards on my enchanter and similar cushions on other crafters.
I've sold various mats for about a total of 400 K in gold (maybe? I wasn't keeping close track), though now that I'm sitting on 700+ K in gold I'm not in any rush to rid myself of mats or even crafted goods.

All my toons have either Hexweave Bags (30 slots) or Royal Satchels (28 slots), mostly split along the lines of active toon gets the larger bags.
macnuke Afar
Elixir of Detect Demon.
Who woulda thought that old recipe using 2X gromsblood and a crystal vial would bring 100G each lolololol
macnuke Afar
Primal Airs are still selling for close to 200G apiece
Oooh thanks, I'll go back and farm those perhaps.
Though I'm farming coalesced fel these days until the invasions are over.
I don't understand why a detect demon elixir would be worth anything. The big ones show up on the minimap during invasions anyway.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Oooh thanks, I'll go back and farm those perhaps.
Though I'm farming coalesced fel these days until the invasions are over.
I don't understand why a detect demon elixir would be worth anything. The big ones show up on the minimap during invasions anyway.

You need them for this.
Let's call the total cumulative time to travel to then fight an invasion 20 minutes (some scenarios can be a bit shorter since one can drop in at the end the second stage if one is lucky enough, but let's say that is compensated by travel time on the average). There is a daily limit of 4 invasions per toon. For me to run 7 toons through 4 invasions each every day would take around 560 minutes or approaching 10 hours. Aside from all daily chores.

Even limiting myself to my 4 currently Legion-ready toons to just pair of invasions each, that is still around 160 minutes or approaching 3 hours.

Maybe I'll just buy the pre-release pet and stop there.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Let's call the total cumulative time to travel to then fight an invasion 20 minutes (some scenarios can be a bit shorter since one can drop in at the end the second stage if one is lucky enough, but let's say that is compensated by travel time on the average). There is a daily limit of 4 invasions per toon. For me to run 7 toons through 4 invasions each every day would take around 560 minutes or approaching 10 hours. Aside from all daily chores.

Even limiting myself to my 4 currently Legion-ready toons to just pair of invasions each, that is still around 160 minutes or approaching 3 hours.

Maybe I'll just buy the pre-release pet and stop there.

I've been doing it pretty casually and already got the pet and cloak on my main -- seems like it's pretty doable. They also mentioned the invasions would get worse as we get closer to launch with more content - so I bet crystals will farm faster then.
OK, starting today (8/16) there is no practical limit to the number of invasions you can do on a given toon within the limits of:
1) 3 invasions are in progress at any given time, and
2) a new set of invasions are available every 2 hours starting upon each even-numbered hour.
If you start an invasion scenario very late within its 2-hour period, then that particular scenario will continue beyond that 2 hours but no one will be able to join after the 2-hour point. Something to keep in mind if you look at the Azeroth map and see, say, 3 minutes left for the current cycle of invasions. While they scale to the number of players, I could see stages 2 (killing 2 large invaders and a lieutenant), 3 (removing the invasion away from the central point) and 4 (killing the final boss) taking quite a while with a "reduced" force.

So in theory a player could do 36 invasions per day, but considering that each invasion takes around 20 minutes to complete that would mean a player would have to spend one hour doing invasions then wait up to an hour for the new set to appear. Of course a dedicated player would just spend that "off" hour doing invasions on a second toon: 24 hours a day doing one invasion after another! Um, I'll pass.

On my main hunter I got the bow to drop in his first invasion of the day. Because he already had 3 of the weapons upgrade (a boost of 5 item levels each) and he had over 300 nethershards (150 for each weapons upgrade purchased from the vendor) I was able to upgrade it to a maxxed 725 weapon (so a marked improvement over his 715 engineering-crafted gun). While there is a small chance for invasion gear drops to be warforged (so item level 705 instead of the usual 700; my warlock has one piece) there is a small chance for my main hunter to improve his gear via invasion drops but not very likely since over all of my toons I have had a total of around 50 drops and only one warforged piece. Can a warforged weapon can be upgraded 5 times to 730? Not sure about either there being warforged weapons at all nor how much they can be upgraded.

My mage and warlock have gotten some one-handed weapon drops (wands and swords), but since neither of them have an equivalent off-hand item to go with such I've been sticking to their 2-handed staves for now (though rumor is that there is a staff drop from invasions though perhaps it is as rare as my hunter's bow). Hmm...perhaps I can craft off-handers (on my blacksmith? Or inscriptionist?). Something I can do with those Savage Bloods and Felblights that I've gathered....

My monk has gotten just 1 one-handed dagger which she is using with the other dagger she received when the pre-release dropped because Blizz decided that windwalker monks can use only one-handed weapons which made her 2-handed staff that she had before the pre-release dropped useless.
Conner Of Gallifrey
It appears the staff is bugged and not currently dropping. Hope they fix it soon - I would like it as well.
Some slight corrections for my comments about my windwalker monk: they CAN use 2-handed weapons BUT given that Blizzard gave my monk a pair of daggers it is obvious that WoW has a distinct preference for a pair of one-handed weapons. Fists of Fury specifically can be used ONLY when two one-handed weapons are in the monk's hands.

The drop that my monk got from invasions was a one-handed AXE, not a dagger.

Oddly when I sent her through a random heroic 5man dungeon (she got Skyreach), at the time she had only a slight improvement from before: I think I improved her gear level from 696 to 700 by my selecting SOME pieces from the Felshroud set that drops from invasions including that axe. I'm not sure what was the difference but for some reason things just clicked for my monk and her Recount DPS score improved from around 20 K / sec to 35 K /sec. That puts her about equal with my frost mage (gear score 710) BUT on my mage I am always struggling to keep careful track of the availability of her spells to get her DPS into the mid-30s K range; otherwise her DPS is more in mid-20s K. In comparison my monk's play was practically no effort.

On top of that, my monk got a second axe to drop from her last invasion, though with 2 weapons her increases using the +5 weapons bonus item will be much slower.

For my mage and warlock I have combined the dagger/wand that drops from invasions (and can be improved from item level 700 to 725) with inscription-crafted Shadowtomes (the names include "of the X" with X to differentiate between various combinations of secondary skills) which I also boosted to item level 705 with the various inscription bonuses plus +10 via valor points to a total of 715. I did this after sending both through their daily chores so I do not know if either may be improved (yet). My mage's sword is 725 but my lock's wand is still just 710 because I spent 150 of his nethershards for the pet and he hasn't been quite as lucky as my mage getting the weapons bonus in drops.

For completeness: my warlock WAS doing about 18 K / sec DPS in a random heroic 5man (before his gear improvements), while my main hunter is doing about 45-55 K / sec DPS in the same.
Yeah, the two piece bonus from most tier gear is a little better than straight welfare epics.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Well, since Spirit is gone (blatherskite); all my item bonuses suck.
Condolences on the healer problems. Mine are in a similar state.

Yeah, I really don't like how Blizz can't be bothered to fix the itemization of older pieces when they make sweeping changes like that. Oh, they'll just nerf older dungeons and zones into the ground so that won't matter. That leads to people leveling up and still not knowing how to really play
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Condolences on the healer problems. Mine are in a similar state.

Yeah, I really don't like how Blizz can't be bothered to fix the itemization of older pieces when they make sweeping changes like that. Oh, they'll just nerf older dungeons and zones into the ground so that won't matter. That leads to people leveling up and still not knowing how to really play

While the game itself has gotten fun; a lot of the interesting choices that itemization had are just missing. Back in Vanilla there were two very drastic different ways to gear up for raiding - heavy spirit builds so, when outside the 5 second window, you'd regen quickly was the most popular. I however went HEAVY into + mana over 5 seconds (which ignored the mana regen cooldown) and enjoyed it a lot (slower to regen over time; but longer before I'd run out of mana - I'd often be able to heal the off tank entirely on my own with this getup in MC).

That's the kind of choice that is fun; and the fact that it's missing is… sad. :(
Inscription being mostly useless now, like jewelcrafting and enchanting earlier, just further dumbs-down the game. Almost no gear tweaking is possible. I suspect the instant-gratification 13 year olds are getting their way far too much.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I created a demon hunter and got him out of the starting zone. I like the lore on those. A free 100 for those that don't want to start out at level 1.
Maybe this will help if anyone is having the following problem. This might be specific to the Mac version of WoW.

Because forcing the game to perform a download DURING play is sorta iffy for me--not only does a simultaneous download make gameplay impossible, but the Mac version doesn't seem to download reliably at all--I have been running the WoW Launcher specifically to force the game to perform any current downloads.

So I run the WoW Launcher first. The first screen comes up with my username and asks for my password. I supply that and I get a follow-up screen asking for my authenticator code (BTW: I wish that Blizzard would give us the option on that screen to have Launcher ALWAYS ask for the authenticator rather than the opposite option). I find my authenticator and type in the code it gives.

Here's the problem: EVERY single time I have done this, the FIRST time I get returned to the first screen asking for my password again, getting an error message saying that there was something wrong with my login information.

Of course I might have mistyped my password or my authenticator code, but there have been times when I am fairly certain that I had typed in both correctly and gotten this error message anyway. Sometimes I have done that and got a second error, and it appears that would continue UNTIL after enough time has passed that my authenticator generates a new code.

So I tried an experiment: the first time I run the Launcher I deliberately put in gibberish for the password (I think that only 4 characters are "required") and any 6-digit number for the authenticator code, getting the expected error message. The second time I type in the correct information and EVERY time that has worked.
Hmmm, I never had that problem. Though I recently (about three weeks) built a dual boot machine and have been playing WoW exclusively on the Winders side.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
For my mage and warlock I have combined the dagger/wand that drops from invasions (and can be improved from item level 700 to 725) with inscription-crafted Shadowtomes (the names include "of the X" with X to differentiate between various combinations of secondary skills) which I also boosted to item level 705 with the various inscription bonuses plus +10 via valor points to a total of 715. I did this after sending both through their daily chores so I do not know if either may be improved (yet).
[snip]

Now I have put both through: my mage is about the same in terms of 5man DPS (including the difficulty in being consistent with around 35 K / sec). My warlock is slightly improved to the lower 20's from around 18 K before.
Is there a cap on those nether shards, or whatever they're called, that drop from invasions?
Kirk posted:
Is there a cap on those nether shards, or whatever they're called, that drop from invasions?

There IS: a max of 2000 per toon for nethershards.

If you bring up the currency tab for any toon, if you hover your cursor over that currency's icon then a pop-up window will appear giving some details plus your current number and the limit in the form of "Total Maximum: 233/2000". Of course that toon has to have earned SOME of that currency to see this.

That is the total maximum that a toon can hold at any time, not the total that can be earned overall.
Apparently Blizz upgraded the WARFORGED Felshrouded gear drops from item level 705 to 710. This has been applied to all current warforged pieces.

Even if some weapons that drop from invasions are warforged, the item which can increase a weapon's item level by 5 point specifically says that it is limited to increases UP TO 725, so in effect a warforged weapon would only mean a savings of 2 of those upgrade pieces.
Have you done this?

Sometimes you can pester a friendly NPC who does NOT have a dialog or vendor box that appears. A set you can try this on are the Tauren guards that are in the Tauren part of the Valley of Wisdom of Orgrimmar (who will NOT show you a list of specific NPCs like the other guards in Ogrimmar). I feel kinda guilty doing this because while they begin friendly enough their replies to your pestering get increasingly annoyed with you until...it loops back to the start with them being friendly.

Well, here is something to try that is a BIT different. Since this past Tuesday when you first logged into a toon that was Invasion-capable you got a quest from a servant of Khadgar asking you to meet with him at repositioned Dalaran, and this puts you on a series of quests which eventually will reward you with a pair of rather disappointing gloves (level 695 though with a minor unique feature, considering that the Invasions eventually can drop level 700 or 710 or even 720 gloves. Those 720s are very rare: I've just now have gotten my first 720 item among all the drops that my four Invasion-capable toons have gotten which is probably approaching 100. I see that at the very first that particular glove drop WAS 685 but then was boosted to 700. When I first did the quest chain my hunter got 705 gloves--which I did choose to use because it was best-in-bags--but it was hotfixed down to 695 which is what my monk got just now).

BUT before you complete that quest chain while you are still in Khadgar's Medivh's library inside Karazhan but after he has made your portal back to Dalaran, try bugging Khadgar in this manner. Let's say that you will learn just how ticklish he is.
I just ran my warlock through the Khadgar/Dalaran chain. There are some places when you can poke at Khadgar to start him giggling but there aren't any places where both of you are standing still long enough to go through to the end of his responses until at the end in the library. He MIGHT start with his speech about Guldan, but keep clicking on him.

Let me repeat: Khadgar does NOT return to Dalaran with you so this must be done in the Karazhan library.

Oh, the gloves that were rewarded have been reduced (back) to 685. My guess is that Blizzard saw that a lot of players were either vendoring them or disenchanting them if a toon were an enchanter (maybe? I haven't tried to disenchant them).

Me? I've taken those gloves and put them into each of my toons' banks (I got a lot of garbage in there :-).
macnuke Afar
I got the gloves on my lock last night..
put then on.. then back in the bag... just want to make sure they will be in my closet in case i ever want the look.
most gear is just cash for me at this point. and that's on 10 toons.

on a bright note. my banker went from level 1... yes, got it to west fall at level 1... it was 11 levels the first run.. my wife grouped with me and made sure plenty mobs got tagged lol. and turned 54 in a couple hours.. bags full of boxes... think i just might leave her in the looms till 100 and open a boatload of boxes to see what gear she ends up with.
and the golds... i am pretty much at the point i don't care about that either.
so .. screwing around till live happens.
The 685 gloves from Kharazan get replaced relatively quickly. Why those aren't at least 700 by default, amazes me. On my second or third invasion I always get 700 or 710 gloves.

One 'Glaive of the Fallen' boosted to 725. Another one in the works.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20