Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], iDaemon, Malkin
Oh, I forgot: I did swap cable modems yesterday. After letting it take a couple of hours to fully update, I did run WoW for several hours without any insta-logouts.

My posted pathping report was AFTER my WoW run so after the modem swap. While the numbers may not have been exactly the same, from what I can recall these numbers were similar to a pathping report I saw BEFORE the modem swap including the reported 15% and 5% packet losses.
user Stupid cockwomble
Swapping modems always tended to work well for me to solve mystery internet issues. One plus for renting them (I own now).
dv
So it's not your WiFi.

Could be some dodgy last-mile wiring, maybe something wrong with the wiring in your house. Any ISP that was losing 5% of it's internal traffic wouldn't be in business long.

You should probably have a tech come out to do a line quality test, at the handoff and then at your jack. A good tech (or even a merely competent one) can find this stuff, but it'll cost ya.
My apologies, but I recognized this after my post with the pathping test that the second hop was NOT "my IP address on my ISP's server" but was my IP address on my cable modem.

I had an ISP tech come out to my house to check stuff yesterday. After I explained my series of problems he ran some tests but could not find anything which was running out of spec and thus made no alterations. Perhaps just out of sympathy he gave me another Ethernet cable to put between my AirPort Express and my cable modem. After making that swap I ran another pathping test and found that the third hop was reduced to 0% loss, although why an Ethernet cable change inside my house should make any difference to THAT is networking arcana far beyond me.

After I sent the current pathping test to Blizzard one of their techs replied that he had seen similar "losses" like the 15% loss I am seeing in my second hop. He guessed that it is probably some security feature between my AirPort Express and my cable modem, so basically I can ignore that hop because it isn't a real packet loss.

I have yet to run another LFR on any toon since my last run-through last week. Perhaps I'll try today.

-----

Just for completeness (and as a partial explanation to the odd name for this thread), let me post a slightly modified (for clarity) version of the post I sent to Blizzard BEFORE they graduated my problem to senior tech support:
Quote:
About once every 2-4 months something which is 5 GHz but NOT a WiFi device gets turned on. I do not know what it is except that it is NOT WiFi: I have a program named NetSpot which can identify WiFi in my neighborhood but it does not see whatever this device is. I do not know why this happens so infrequently and at seemingly random times throughout the day when it does happen. [Let me add that there might be several such interfering devices in my neighborhood.]

WITHIN WoW my toon will stop being able to interact with anything while the game appears to be running. I have had this happen while I was running my toon from one location to another (as opposed to riding on a taxi) and when I was able to return to the game my toon was many yards behind the path I moved him. If my toon happens to be located where normally I could log out of the game like in Ogrimmar, I cannot do so. The only thing I can do is "force quit" WoW and hope for the best if my toon happened to have been in a hostile situation. [Let me add that this happens very fast too. One time I opened a toon's mailbox and then was unable to click on anything within the mailbox window.]

OUTSIDE of WoW I can run a speedtest. My up- and download speeds will fluctuate erratically, usually not getting over 5 Mb down and often hitting zero throughput. Usually I could try to find another 5 GHz channel, but over time I have learned to return to the same channel I have been using (there are about 15 other WiFi signals identified by NetSpot in my neighborhood), so whatever is trouncing my signal is some device that gets turned on THAT infrequently and for only about 5-15 minutes (or for no apparent reason chooses my particular WiFi channel that infrequently?)--no idea what it might be. Short of changing my 5 GHz WiFi channel while this is happening I cannot do ANYTHING ELSE online including log back into WoW.

---------- (a line to separate above from below) ----------

ON THE OTHER HAND: this is NOT what has been happening since October 5th. Since then in between literal seconds of logging in to up to about 2 hours I will get sent to the login screen I think showing the message shown on the screen capture that I sent with my last post [sorry, since I am not getting the insta-logouts any more I cannot replicate the situation and I did not save that screenshot. I did check that error message online but I found nothing associated with it that I haven't already done or checked. Apparently the error message was Blizzard's version of "we don't know what happened except that you got logged out unexpectedly"]. I will note that the time between logouts has varied from day to day, but I cannot say that I noted a WoW update everytime there has been a change in that frequency (it is my habit to run WoW Launcher practically every time I start to play WoW). My toon will often rather characteristically pause in action if he happens to be doing something for a very short time--less than a tenth of second--then I see that dreaded login screen overlaid by that message (do note that there is something typed into the password field, so apparently some of my last keystrokes within the game were transferred into that field). EVERY time I can log back in quickly to that same toon (I can type in the WoW authentication code very quickly now).

Outside of WoW nothing else online seems to be affected. Running the speedtest gives me a relatively solid 15+ Mb down and 1-3 Mb up (I do not run a speedtest everytime since I have learned that it appears to be unaffected). If I had a web page up I can continue to use it without any problems (this is not usual for me, so this might have happened because I was forced to refer to WoWhead.com for an explanation for a new quest).

[and do note that since Oct. 17th I have NOT had any insta-logouts]

... Quick question. Did you try new ethernet cables before? They are a touch fragile and a kink can make them iffy.
Betonhaus posted:
... Quick question. Did you try new ethernet cables before? They are a touch fragile and a kink can make them iffy.

Not having any usable spares (too short), no. The Ethernet cable would have been literally the last thing I would have suspected, and I have no reason to think that the replacement made any substantial differences.

AND that particular cable that was replaced wasn't in any sort of high stress situation. It was a 10 or 12 footer (like its replacement) when the distance between my AirPort Express and the cable modem was less than 5 feet, and placed behind or under furniture backed close to a wall so it wasn't being stepped upon or kicked around in any way (maybe pushed aside by a vacuum cleaner).
dv
Oh... yeah, always swap cables first.

IT 101: Always start with Layer 1.
I've had so many weird issues resolved by replacing cables with new ones it's not even funny - especially when the old cables looked perfectly fine.
But please duly note that the worst part of my recent WoW problems were solved before any Ethernet cable swaps.
macnuke Afar
my wow problems are internal to me.
I want my 16year old reflexes back.
at 62.. i cannot high end
Let me add that despite having many SOLVED problems with my ISP's cable modem, my Vonage modem, and WoW, the next time anyone in anyone's tech staff asks me if I had tried swapping Ethernet cables (and, no, I do not have a box full of them), that will be the first time.

Unfortunately I gave the old Ethernet cable to the ISP's tech who came to my house for him to put into recycle, so I cannot test if swapping that back would replicate that 5% packet loss.
I have added SOME numbers for 370 items here.

All of my active toons got 370 items from doing the Battle of Stromgarde scenarios, though only 2 of them got a shoulder and a chest. My friend mentioned that he ran through some of the CURRENT scenarios available from a NPC standing near the docks of Azar'alor and he got some 370 items from those as well though he did not mention if any of them were a head, shoulder or chest.

-----

I guess my problems with WoW have been MOSTLY solved.

I finally ran my main hunter through LFRs. While sporadically I did get SOME lag only while in those LFRs, it was collectively in the range of 0.1 seconds when normally my lag elsewhere has been between 0.05 to 0.07 seconds, so survivable (to be sure my toon died several times but that was due to LFR mechanics and not that lag). MUCH better than that full second lag that I experienced before, so I logged into my ticket at Blizzard.net and closed it.
I guess my friend got really lucky in those Arathi Highlands (where Stromgarde is located) quests. I ran my main hunter through them and the one gear item he got was 340 hands (which were worse than the 340 hands he already had). There are also several silver-wreaths throughout the Arathi Highlands. My hunter did not get all of them, but he did get a pet and a toy from different ones.

Oh, I should mention that my friend wasn't exactly clear if those several 370 items he got were with several toons as opposed to just one (I'm guessing the former).

If you are like me and constantly have been short of War Resources, then note that 3 of the 6 quests there reward 200 War Resources EACH.

I don't know how long this phase of Battle will last, so I will try to send my other 4 active toons through them later today.
user Stupid cockwomble
DEyncourt posted:
one gear item he got was 340 hands

makes him 113 feet tall? cool.
I did run my 4 other active toons through the Arathi Highlands set of quests last night.

Apparently there was some shift between Friday night (when I ran my main hunter through them) and Saturday night because those 4 toons got FOUR quests which rewarded 200 War Resources each when my hunter only got three (I have no idea what he got instead since I do not recall what he got from each of the 6 quests).

On those 4 toons I got only one 370 item: 370 feet for my mage. I should point out that this was rewarded for raid-killing the NPC tank in the north-central part of Arathi (which is NOT one of the quest though it is marked on the map). My second hunter didn't even get an item from that fight: he only got an azerite point bonus.

For the rest of the rewards my toons only got 340 items if they got any. Only a few of these were improvements over previous items.

I asked my friend about what he got (he has 6 active Horde toons at the 120 level). He cleared up my question by saying that he got only two 370 items and those were on separate toons.

-----

BTW: there is in the north-central hills between Arathi Highlands and The Hinterlands a new(?) tunnel connecting them. Or did that tunnel exist before Battle?
Yeah, back here again.

So not being in a guild doing any raiding (well, at least not with ME), I told my fellow WoW-playing friend that the game has gotten pretty boring now. All of my active toons have gotten to between item levels 392 and 398 (though there does seem to a crucial difference that happens at exactly item level 395: the rewards for some world quests and such can be level 400 gear though not always. Any toon with item level less than 395 will only see a max of 385 gear), so more-or-less the game is more than predictable.

My friend suggested that I might try playing an Alliance toon so I went with that. Two days ago I used my Battle upgrade to level 110 and created a beastmastery hunter night elf on my friend's server (so we wouldn't have any problems trading items). To match my friend's other Alliance toons I went with mining/jewelcrafting (though I was tempted to have her be a skinner/leatherworking to match my main toon but that would conflict with his Alliance main, and unlike the other gathering professions if I adventured with that one then we would have been in competition for skins). I checked on my bank toon for gear and found that I could send my new hunter an heirloom head, some shoulders, a cape, a chest, some legs and a pair of account-bound trinkets which will upgrade with her level up to 120. Oh, and Hellscream's Warbow. With that big Horde shield covering the grip, my friend suggested that my new hunter could brag that she had looted it off of Hellscream's body back in Pandaria.

My friend gave a stack of goblin gliders, water-walking potions, health potions and four 30-slot bags (she came equipped with four 22-slot bags) and loaned gave me 1000 gold to pay for some basic training.

My new hunter is already at about 50% through level 113. I opted to swap the head and chest for the azurite-leveling pieces since they are far superior in stats to those heirloom pieces (she hasn't gotten a shoulder drop yet). I suppose that I could hang on to those pieces and swap them in whenever she got to turn in quest, but considering how many quests are set up that you get the next quest in the chain upon completing the previous quest I thought it not worth the experience boost to go to that trouble.

I found that she had to open all 3 Kul Tiras zones before she became eligible to open an invasion into Zandalar.

I had forgotten how many things that my new hunter would be ineligible for like timewalking dungeons (requires level 120, maybe 119?).

-----

I mention the following here since my friend--who had been playing all along while I had been out sick--apparently was not aware of these things until I mentioned them while getting back into playing WoW.

Did you know that you can put your toons to sleep while aboard the ship with table that allows you to send out your champions/followers out on missions? I have yet to figure out the nearest mailbox to that ship since my new hunter only got her first pair of champions last night.

There is a vendor on the docks of Zuldazar named Provisioner Murka who can sell you a 395 ring in exchange for 300 Honorbound Service Medals which you get for participating in the various invasion scenarios. Forgive me but since my Alliance hunter is only 113 she cannot even see the invasion personnel much less be able to earn the Alliance equivalent to those Honorbound Service Medals, but whatever they are called I'm sure that the equivalent ring costs 300 tokens. This ring also has the benefit of having a 30-minute cooldown to returning your Horde toon back to the docks (basically next to that vendor). It will be a while before my new hunter reaches that point so I do not know where she will be sent upon using the ring.
macnuke Afar
I level 110 -120 toons in time walking all the time.... the catch... you have to have leveled thru the time walking zone. downside to boosting.

<shift> P gets you your collections and all your heirlooms.
you can upgrade those heirlooms from any toon on the account. and they are horde/alliance both. not one or the other.
speed leveling.... use the dam heirlooms. you can get a total of 50% XP increase with them.
and really. human waste dies fast enough. you will be fine.
I don't use them as much anymore cause i am leveling for grins on some old alts and I am not in a rush. it the instances when you can.. it's nice to get the different faction perspective as well as some decent gear upgrades. I find that instance gear and the BoA looms.....anything you get from a quest is vendor trash about 95% of the time.

my 114 priest sees the invasions. i know he did at 112 also.
you run the first couple quests in your new zone... then go see the map . i opened every zone by 113. both islands.

nearest mailbox... upstairs at the inn... sad but true..
I engineer all my toons.. so always have the glider cape build in and MOLLE for my mail needs.

it's a nice ring.. but as it's no stats... it's best use will be next expansion when you want to come back to borealis from wherever you are. i have the Dalaran rings on most of my toons. the 395 i will get after i get both the mounts.. have one already and almost to the second.
trust me... you will get better rings.
Of my 5 active Horde toons, my second hunter and warlock have one level 400 ring each while the others have 395s or worse. It has been quite a while--weeks?--since I have gotten any rings which at least had me consider keeping.

By the nearest mailbox, you are referring to the one nearest the Horde ship, right?

It turns out that the closest mailbox to the Alliance ship is at the south entrance to the building immediately west of the ship. Man, EVERYTHING is easier to get to in Boralus. Right now my only problem is recalling where room with the portals to elsewhere or a specific trainer or vendor is located but that will come with just a bit more experience and practice.

Oh, I did the invasion in Drustvar last night on my new hunter. I think she was 112 when she started and hit 113 while working on those invasions quests. Likewise earlier tonight she hit 114 while working on the invasion quests in Zuldazar.
While I can do cross-realm mail for heirloom gear (being account-bound), I cannot do so for any other type of item or for gold.

So a question: except for possibly Blizzard looking for such attempts, what is there to prevent my new hunter from putting up an actually useful item like a goblin glider kit on the auction house for some outrageous amount like 100 K in gold, then buying that on my main server to cross-realm transfer something like 95 K (I think there is a built-in 5% penalty for cross-realm purchases. Or maybe there was one?)?

Or if Blizzard is specifically checking for such self-to-self transfers, how about if I persuade my friend to be the player to place an item up for bid and I make the purchase, or vice versa?

We had done something like that back in the day when Wrath of the Lich King was the current game. Back then there was a separate goblin auction house which could be accessed only through the auction house in Tanaris. That was also when each toon had an individual list of pets, so I did make some gold by having my friend buy for 1 copper piece a pet that was purchasable by only Horde or Alliance toons, then putting them up on the OPPOSITE auction house by slightly undercutting the lowest offering on that auction house. My habit was to undercut to the next 50 silver mark, so if some player had put up some pet for 14 gold then another player undercut him by 1 copper (13 g, 99 s, 99c), then I would put up that pet for 13 g, 50 s, because I wasn't that interested in maximizing profit as much as just making a sale.

On occasion I would find that some particular item like Primal Air that a particular toon needed to craft an item which was being offered on the opposite auction house for cheap so I would make that purchase and then we would use the goblin auction house to make the transfer to the other side.
macnuke Afar
there was one... but the only hitch blizzard has on it now is you can't post an item on one faction and buy it from the other when both toons are on the same account.
so yes... have your buddy place a grey or white up for a bazillion gold and your money toon can buy it. and your bud can trade you the money.
the goblin houses are still in gadget and booty bay.. but any AH in the neutral cities will work just fine.

and you don't need to mail your heirlooms. any toon on the account can <shift>P for collections and click on heirloom tab at the bottom.any toon can get any heirloom your account has right there. no mailing needed. so use them and just trash them when you are thru... they are always available there... and when you buy an upgrade to an heirloom... upgrade the item in the book without making the item.. that upgrades the item for the whole account.
stats squish... so placing enchants on anything for leveling is pretty much a gold dump that isn't worth it with additional dps or health.

and mailbox... i play Alliance primarily.. so i was referring to the one right outside of the inn.
when you are on that level.. you can drop down one level and find the portal room on one end and the bank on the other. the trick is to remember they are directly UNDER the top level (which is inn level) another reason i engineer all my toons. there isn't enough money making in the professions anymore except the enchants at max level. but an engineer can go anywhere without a mage or portal room.

and your whistle.. make sure anything you play has their whistle.
macnuke posted:
there was one... but the only hitch blizzard has on it now is you can't post an item on one faction and buy it from the other when both toons are on the same account.
so yes... have your buddy place a grey or white up for a bazillion gold and your money toon can buy it. and your bud can trade you the money.
the goblin houses are still in gadget and booty bay.. but any AH in the neutral cities will work just fine.

Ah, OK, thanks for that info about one player's toons not being able to buy stuff in the auction house.

I think that while the Tanaris goblin AH remains there that ALL of the auction houses (including the Booty Bay goblin AH--I had forgotten about that one) are now one market (at least for all of those in the various Blizzard zones, i.e., US, Oceanic, Latin America, Tournament, Brazil. Huh, there is no longer a European zone now?). Not having a lower-volume AH like the formerly separate goblin AHs means that you gotta take your chances when putting up an auction for a higher level item for only 1 copper that someone might swipe it before your friend can buy it.
Quote:
and you don't need to mail your heirlooms. any toon on the account can <shift>P for collections and click on heirloom tab at the bottom.any toon can get any heirloom your account has right there.
[snip]

Oh, WOW. I hadn't realized that heirlooms work that way, at least since Blizz set up that heirlooms tab.

Heh, one of my bank toons uses a good portion of his personal bank storing heirlooms since heirlooms cannot stored in a guild bank, my having gotten into that habit since before the heirlooms tab existed. Thanks for this info. I had been mailing the unique heirlooms (specifically rings) between my lower level toons so now knowing this about the heirlooms tab I can save all that time mailing and re-gearing those toons.

Hmm. I haven't tried this yet since I hadn't known about using the heirlooms tab this way, but I suppose that when I use any of the various heirloom upgrades so that a particular item is usable up to level 90/100/110/120 that I can apply that upgrade to the item in the heirlooms tab and not to the item itself in my bags, right? Until I got used to it I would get irritated by the heirlooms tab automatically appearing whenever I tried to use one of the upgrade items.
Quote:
and mailbox... i play Alliance primarily.. so i was referring to the one right outside of the inn.
when you are on that level.. you can drop down one level and find the portal room on one end and the bank on the other. the trick is to remember they are directly UNDER the top level (which is inn level) another reason i engineer all my toons. there isn't enough money making in the professions anymore except the enchants at max level. but an engineer can go anywhere without a mage or portal room.

Wait...your engineers can go anywhere? Sorry, but tell me about this because I hadn't figured this out yet.

Oh, yeah, you did say "down". I meant on the Horde side because likewise the nearest mailbox to the Horde ship is next to the inn closest to the docks...which is two levels UP from the docks and thus two long sets of stairs (each of these being about twice as long ALL of the stairs that an Alliance toon must use to get from the inn to the water level). EVERYTHING is closer in Boralus.

Yeah, my friend has complained that the crafting professions--especially alchemy since his main/first toon was an herbalist/alchemist and aside from the initial healing potions hasn't been very profitable since Lich King--haven't been useful for all of Battle that he hasn't bothered to do anything to advance any of them. Me, on the other hand, I have dutifully advanced all my crafting professions so that my main hunter is 150 in both skinning and leathercrafting

I'll note that with the shredder/decombobulator (or whatever its called on the Alliance side) that even leathercrafting and tailoring haven't needed to "gather" the basic mats to do those crafts (well, aside from Expulsoms and the other more arcane mats required for the higher level gear).
Quote:
and your whistle.. make sure anything you play has their whistle.

Of course, but I think my new hunter will have to wait until she completes more quests in Battle before she gets her whistle.

BTW: now that my new hunter is level 114 she can queue for timewalking dungeons, but when she was level 113 she did not see that option. Unfortunately she is still not eligible to get weekly reward for doing 5 timewalking dungeons because that Tortollan next to the dockside inn in Boralus does not offer her that weekly quest.
macnuke Afar
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ultrasafe_Transporter:_Gadgetzan
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ultrasafe_Transporter:_Toshley%27s_Station
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Dimensional_Ripper_-_Everlook
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Dimensional_Ripper_-_Area_52
https://www.wowhead.com/item=48933/wormhole-generator-northrend
https://www.wowhead.com/item=87215/wormhole-generator-pandaria
https://www.wowhead.com/item=151652/wormhole-generator-argus
dalaran hearthstone
garrison hearthstone
Snug Harbor hearthstone.
from your guild...
https://www.wowhead.com/item=65360/cloak-of-coordination

that's pretty much anywhere. the engineering are toys.... so make once by an engineer... and any engineer on the account can access it thru the collections toys tab.

when you want to transfer money.. get the toon you want money on or a friend to post a white item for however much you want to move...that way you don't have to worry about poachers.

the weekly time walking quest is a world quest.. and they are all level 120 only.

ya. allí is close and not on some ginormous pyramid with all those levels both inside and out. it's pretty straightforward... everything is pretty much two levels and close.
Huh. Sorry, I had taken the impression that you were talking about something else which was more direct AND reliable that those engineer-only toys. Those items have some percentage of killing your toon upon use (even if some can be mitigated by things like a goblin glider kit or slow fall). Personally I view them as just jokes made by folks at Blizzard who probably get a chuckle whenever anyone uses any of them (even successfully), so I have NEVER used any of them.

-----

In the past when timewalking week came by, they were available to (max level - 1) toons although I am uncertain if such toons ever got the weekly quest (I had never checked myself). In any case I am sending my new hunter through them because they often have a shorter queue than those for the regular Battle dungeons (or even the heroic versions) which she is qualified to do. Yes, such timewalking dungeons "only" drop timewalking pieces which cannot be shredded/scrapped but that seems to be the only disadvantage.

I ran my hunter through the invasion of Boralus today and a couple of timewalking dungeons, getting some gear replacements and raising her to level 116. Now that she has Admiral Taylor's Loyalty Ring and the Dread Pirate Ring--both upgraded to work up to level 120--her lowest piece of armor is some level 222 bracers which I hope to replace soon.

Perhaps if I hurry a bit I can see myself if the timewalking weekly quest is available for level 119 toons. So far it has NOT been available for up to level 116 toons.
macnuke Afar
those toys... they stopped killing you a long time ago.
the BC ones will rarely but once in a while turn you into a chicken with a 3 minute CD you are stuck as one.
:embarrassed:

I JUST found this out right now completely by accident (only because my mouse cursor happened to wander over this mailbox and thus changed the cursor's shape). On the dock next to the Horde ship with the table for sending out champions out on missions there is the Honorbound Emissary, Ransa Greyfeather, who has various items on offer from that faction. The Honorbound's equivalent for the Alliance is the 7th Legion, I think.

Next to HER just southward along the dock there is small pile of various crates on top of which there is a pouch lying pockets upward with a rolled-up scroll along its opening at its top. That pouch is the closest mailbox to that Horde ship. Technically it is even closer to the Horde's champions table than the closest mailbox is to the Alliance's champions table.

Of course this is the problem when Blizzard decides to be...um, "creative" with mailbox designs. Instead of staying with the same shape or at least a basic design (like a box atop of a post like a curbside mailbox), a player MUST let his cursor wander all around and happen not to blink when the cursor's shape changes.
macnuke Afar
pro tip....

right click the minimap .. select Townsfolk... select mailbox..

now they will show up on the minimap where ever they are hidden.
macnuke posted:
pro tip....

right click the minimap .. select Townsfolk... select mailbox..

now they will show up on the minimap where ever they are hidden.

OK, sure...BUT in most (all?) of the rest of Dazar'alor there is a standard mailbox:

Those around Dazar'alor have that vague Aztec/Mayan design, have a small slot in the front to "accept" letters and on all 4 sides including the back there is a large envelope icon.

The mailbox on the dock is basically an all-tan leather rucksack looking something like this:

placed such that the carrying straps are hidden underneath and without those long straps holding down the top. Instead of the top of the bag being rolled up like immediately above, replace that with a largish parchment/paper scroll rolled up with much of that scroll sticking out of the sides underneath a smallish top flap.

This rucksack-mailbox is on top of a crate which is in front of some other crates and baskets somewhat placed haphazardly. Other than the game cursor changing to a mail cursor, there is nothing about it that indicates "mail".

I would venture a guess that most WoW players are not aware of this mailbox on the dock.
And now my baby Alliance hunter hit 120 early this morning. Not too bad considering that it took only about 5.5 days overall.

BUT there are some problems.

Weirdly she still has ONLY two azurite pieces, her head and chest. That's right: she is still using the heirloom shoulder piece that I orginally put on her when I started her. AND those azurite pieces are the FIRST ones she has ever had. That's right: she still has 280/285 azurite gear. It is something of measure of how far she is behind in terms of gear item levels in that I had her go through the new (to her) portal to Silithus just to take a peek and found that Magni had quests for her which had her go through 4 or 5 rounds of upgrades to her Heart of Azeroth amulet such that at the end it is now item level 343 with level 10 azurite. I cannot recall what my other 120s had for gear when they first hit 120, but I know that they had gone through several rounds of all three azurite pieces so likely between 300-340 overall item level instead of her considerably underpowered 286. Unlike my other hunters I'll have to be much more cautious when tackling silver wreaths since they now will be level 120+.

Heh, I cannot even upgrade her rings or trinkets (if she had any jewelcrafting trinket recipes) since this would be a considerable downgrade from the level 284 heirlooms to 225/233 rings.

At least now she can run through the timewalking dungeons to get the weekly reward (though undoubtedly I WILL be rather disappointed with that considering her current 286 item level). BTW: I did check while she was level 119 and the Tortollan next to the inn in Boralus who gives out the weekly quest only had a silver question mark over his head.

I managed to get my hunter through level 119 by doing only TWO timewalking dungeons while doing chapter quests in Tiragarde Sound.

-----

BTW: I was definitely wrong about the zone-wide (US, Latin America, etc.) auction house. I checked with my friend to see if he saw the same thing when I looked up Blind Lake Sturgeon Flesh (which he needs to make Draenic Water Walking Elixers). I checked through my banks and saw that I actually had plenty (over 1300 pieces), BUT before I put them up on the AH I asked him what he saw on his AH for Blind Lake Sturgeon Flesh. On my AH I saw only one offering but on his AH he saw none, so at least we do not have an AH in common.

What I wrote before about the Goblin AH is correct (though limited to within a single server or server group). We had our mages go to the Booty Bay version and only saw the exact same lists from above, thus those Goblin AHs are the same AH as any that you can find in the cities.
macnuke Afar
ok the azurite level when you hit is normal.
now take the portal to arathi basin when it's up... you kill the rares and they drop 340 7th legion on occasion.
take the darkshore now while it's up.. spring for a seal of wartorn fate if you can afford it before you go.. the guy that sells them is upstairs next to the inn. the world boss there drops 400 level.
it's easy to join a lfg raid.

AH cross faction same realm... no cross realm as that would cut into the blizzard server transfer real money.

you need to open your world quests and the turtle will open.

and on your silver world rares just mouseover and see hit points.. you could probably take care of anything under 1 million HP... but until you gear.. go easy lol

and your neck pc.. nothing tells you.. but go back to sithilus. you should be able to run the upgrades to it now that you are 120.
macnuke posted:
[snip]
and your neck pc.. nothing tells you.. but go back to sithilus. you should be able to run the upgrades to it now that you are 120.

THAT is what I did though not intentionally. My hunter hit 120 so I took a peek into Silithus just because "Hey, I got a new portal!" and got those 5 or 6 Heart of Azeroth upgrades because it was level 5 or 4 at the start and level 10 when done with all of them.
macnuke posted:
ok the azurite level when you hit is normal.
now take the portal to arathi basin when it's up... you kill the rares and they drop 340 7th legion on occasion.
take the darkshore now while it's up.. spring for a seal of wartorn fate if you can afford it before you go.. the guy that sells them is upstairs next to the inn. the world boss there drops 400 level.
it's easy to join a lfg raid.
[snip]

It WOULD be easy but I think my hunter really is too undergeared at 286 to join a lot of things like ANY level LFR.

Maybe I cannot see the portals to Arathi Basin or Darkshore when they are up--my friend showed me where to expect to find them--because again she is too undergeared.

So there are still a lot of timewalking dungeons in her immediate future.
Yesterday my new hunter went from item level 286 to 342 with some assistance from my friend who has a skinner/leathercrafter (who crafted some gear) and who recommended concentrating on the Proudmoore Admiralty world quest daily even though it had 3 days to go because its reward upon turning it in to its emissary was a high-level azerite item, in her case a set of 385 shoulders which is so much higher than her other gear that her Heart of Azeroth is not high enough to "improve" those shoulders' first circle of five azerite upgrades.

But that did take a while. I first completed the weekly timewalking quest of 5 timewalking dungeons to get a 340 azurite chest. During those quests she picked up various timewarped gear in the range from 315 hands to 375 ringS. She still has a 365 timewarped NON-azerite helm because she shredded her original 280/285 azerite helm upon getting back to town and hasn't gotten another azerite helm yet. She still has a pair of level 284 heirloom trinkets.

Funny thing (well, for me) is that while doing those timewalking dungeons while still NOT YET level 120 my hunter kept on getting a LOT of drops which at first excited then disappointed me because A LOT of them were head/shoulder/chest pieces that were not as good or only JUST a little better than her 280/285 azerite helm and chest (along with their circles of azerite improvements which made them better except for overall item level score than even item level 300 timewarped drops with no azerite upgrades). As it happened she did not get any shoulders or back gear which were higher than those heirloom pieces she had as they eventually topped out at level 284 when she got to level 120: "W00t! A 250 drop [while much of her gear was in the 230 range]! Oh, but it's a back [the heirloom back was 245 at the time and still had the benefit of a 10% bonus to experience so not worth switching]".

NOW my hunter is qualified to do heroic dungeons (required item level is 325) and LFRs (required item level is 320) but still does NOT have the Darkshore scenario available. The item level for the last is still unknown because when I had her go to where the quest-giving NPC with his "weekly" quest and his accompanying table resides, all I can see is the shadow for that table.

A couple of annoyances:

At one point I saw on the ship with the champions table there were 2 NPC with quests, each of them with various of the explanation that "I admired your work for the Alliance and I want to join your team", BUT right now my hunter has only ONE champion working for her. I do not know what happened to that second NPC, AND I think she should have had gotten a total of four champions even before she got to level 120.

When my hunter talks to that ship's admiral, all she can see is a route to Zuldazar in Zandalar (man, I wish Blizzard had selected some names which didn't sound so much alike) despite being a level 120 toon. I know that while working my Horde toons that each of them got a command to go to the docks to talk to Nathanos on the equivalent Horde ship upon reaching levels 112, 114 and 118 (I think) which enabled each of my Horde toons to take a quest which opened each of the Kul Tiras zones.

My friend said to me that "You know you can just run to each of the Zandalari zones from Zuldazar and get the flypoints in each of them". That IS true, but that would require quite a bit of gametime just to wander around when all along while working up to level 120 I SHOULD have been given quests which would have opened those other Zandalari zones. AND I do not know where the Alliance ports are located in Voldun or Nazmir since this is my first Alliance toon in Battle for Azeroth. Yeah, yeah, I suppose that I can assume that those ports are Alliance-only flypoints along the coasts of those zones.

Maybe it is time to complain to Blizzard tech support.
macnuke Afar
OK..... now that you are having problems in the smaller Alliance zones....

how do you think I felt when i hit that monstrosity of a pyramid with my one and only horde
Yeah the Horde main city is ridiculously spread out. I must say my demon hunter likes it better than most. I can glide down to the scrapper quickly from the throne for example.

If you guys need any help. I've got 400 ilevel tanks and healers on both alliance and horde. I can run you through mythics.
macnuke Afar
Mythic eh? i would be embarrassed as my reflexes do not let me play to the 397 my main (Alliance warlock) is geared to.

it was all i could do to do the mythic 0 when i have a quest in there.

my horde is a 391 again.. warlock.

I play Turalyon.. and in this battlegroup i have found you have to either have a guild that runs it... a friend to get you in... or previous experience running it.

so no credit here lol.

Metastable#1915

although I was the first of that name in the world.
I will be continuing to work on timewalking dungeons with my new hunter as those should be the quickest queues as people try to beat the 5 am PDT deadline for the server restarts tomorrow morning.

Hrumph. I haven't run a mythic dungeon of ANY sort much less one with a high-level key since...um, Draenor?
My Blizzard handle is TaurenHunter#1218.

I did post in the Bugs section at Blizzard's site my complaint about my hunter not being able to see routes to Nazmir and Voldun plus her lack of champions, but earlier today I again logged in to explain that I do know why my new Alliance hunter wasn't getting any of the other Zandalari zones to "invade". Basically she had not completed the "basic" quest chain in Zuldazar by taking the offered flight from Talanji's Rebuke (the first zone) to Xibala (also in Zuldazar).

BTW: these particular quest chains are distinguished from regular quests by having slightly orange-tinted--probably called gold-colored--exclaimation points and question marks, as opposed to the more clearly yellow punctuation of the heads over the heads the quest givers and receivers.

Once I had my hunter complete the quest chain in Xibala she got a quest asking her to return to the champions ship in Boralus. There the NPC next to the Zandalar map had a quest which asked her to choose another zone on the Zandalar map (I chose Nazmir). Since then I have completed those quest chains opening up paths via the admiral to both Nazmir and Voldun so that part of my bug complaint is no longer valid...

BUT Blizzard apparently has a rule: the poster of a question about bugs is not allowed to add another post to his/her question until someone else posts something. Frankly this is stupid because it basically blocked my being able to answer part of my own questions.

-----

Something I noticed earlier today: I saw in the eastern part of Drustvar a Tortollan world quest that I had never seen before on any of my Horde toons. Reading the description I think I have an explanation: specifically those "Calligraphy" Tortollan quests are faction-specific (meaning Horde- or Alliance-only) AND only appear on that faction's continent (Zandalar for Horde, Kul Tiras for Alliance). It is unclear to me why this separation is necessary.
Champions are unlocked by doing the quest chains on the boat, i.e. lots of time on the opposition's island. Champions are harder to acquire than prior expansions. Hell everything is harder to acquire and requires more time played than past expansions. Its net effect is my alts languish as I work on my mains. I suspect that's intentional on Blizzard's part.
macnuke Afar
Kirk posted:
Champions are unlocked by doing the quest chains on the boat, i.e. lots of time on the opposition's island. Champions are harder to acquire than prior expansions. Hell everything is harder to acquire and requires more time played than past expansions. Its net effect is my alts languish as I work on my mains. I suspect that's intentional on Blizzard's part.

they are preparing us to go play "Classic" again ;)
Kirk posted:

At least on the Horde side I believe that those calls to open up a "new" zone on Kul Tiras came when a toon got to levels 112, 114 and 118.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19