Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso
Why not drill a hole through a wall(s) in a judicious spot, run a cord along the edges of the rooms from the main router and put a WiFi router in the same room where you need the signal?
Kirk posted:
Why not drill a hole through a wall(s) in a judicious spot, run a cord along the edges of the rooms from the main router and put a WiFi router in the same room where you need the signal?

Sorry, but this differs from my earlier set up of three AXes--one creating my home WiFi network and the other two boosting the signal to get to my MBP--how?

Mind you: that was adequate for while it worked. My original cable box was such that it only had 11b (maybe not even 11g?) WiFi although I had shut it down in favor of my using my AXes. For whatever reasons--maybe just old age?--that box failed such that I was getting erratic speeds and began my current on-going odyssey searching for a usable signal.

Perhaps I'll be forced back to 11b/g if enough 5.4 GHz non-WiFi devices fill up all available 11n slots.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Sorry, but this differs from my earlier set up of three AXes--one creating my home WiFi network and the other two boosting the signal to get to my MBP--how?

Depends. Where are those other two AXes in relation to the primary base station and/or the laptop?
dv posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Depends. Where are those other two AXes in relation to the primary base station and/or the laptop?

More-or-less in a line between the primary base station and my MBP for the sole purpose of boosting the signal.
WiFi relays work like crap in my relatively limited personal experience. Run an ethernet cable from the main router to each WiFi hub. You'll be much happier.
Kirk posted:
WiFi relays work like crap in my relatively limited personal experience. Run an ethernet cable from the main router to each WiFi hub. You'll be much happier.

Mine worked for years before the replacement of my main AX with a new one rendered the others not as useful except as the plug-in point for my Vonage modem.
Apparently your neighbor's population of WiFi hot spots has finally grown to the point you can't work around it. Your WiFi is competing with the neighbors on every channel used by your relay, which is two channels really. The one talking to your laptop and the other talking to the main router. You're getting twice the interference plus transmitting through a wall. Run a cable to the hub.
Kirk posted:
Apparently your neighbor's population of WiFi hot spots has finally grown to the point you can't work around it. Your WiFi is competing with the neighbors on every channel used by your relay, which is two channels really. The one talking to your laptop and the other talking to the main router. You're getting twice the interference plus transmitting through a wall. Run a cable to the hub.

Um, I think you are mistaking my on-going problems with 11n as compared to what is going on in my area with 11b/g. I have been blocked out of 11n channels. This has NOT been so with 11b/g (and I would argue are not likely). My problems began with my original cable box failing to deliver consistent up- and downloads that was completely unrelated to the fact that I was using ANY form of WiFi, though do note I was having inconsistent and erratic speed problems for about 2 months preceding my latter post above that I made near the end of November.

ALL of my subsequent problems over the past 6 weeks MAY have been due to likely NON-WiFi devices essentially blocking out 11n channels, but I don't know that for certain because I did not clue into switching 11n channels until about 2 weeks ago. While AT&T had replaced 4 cable modems so far, had I not figured out the problem of something completely blocking out one of the 11n channels then likely I might have returned my current box as having the same problem. Likely those returned cable boxes were working but for whatever reasons failed to switch the 11n channel they used to a clear(er) one even after being unplugged. They were set to automatically find a usable channel but unfortunately for me apparently whatever is still blocking those channels does not identify itself as a WiFi source so my cable boxes chose those same channels. My 11n AX was also originally set to find a channel automatically but now I have it set to use a specfic one.

On the other hand: there are those 4 other 11n networks that I can see around me via iStumbler. It seems odd that NONE of them had to move over this entire time due to some new device blocking their channels. That's not quite enough for me go past paranoia and say "They're out to get ME!" (yet).
I think you are just bumping up against a problem most people are facing these days, namely the saturation of the 2.4 and 5ghz bands allocated to WiFi.

Is there a reason you are against looking into power line internet for direct Ethernet links? It would give you a full bandwidth connection to your main router and completely eliminate any sort o wifi interference. Then you can tailor your wifi network for other devices without having to be so worried about your WoW experience.
dv
Warin posted:
I think you are just bumping up against a problem most people are facing these days, namely the saturation of the 2.4 and 5ghz bands allocated to WiFi.

Is there a reason you are against looking into power line internet for direct Ethernet links? It would give you a full bandwidth connection to your main router and completely eliminate any sort o wifi interference. Then you can tailor your wifi network for other devices without having to be so worried about your WoW experience.

...if you can get the Power Line Ethernet to actually work reliably.
dv posted:
Warin posted:

...if you can get the Power Line Ethernet to actually work reliably.

That, and for now I do have 11n WiFi working at the maximum that my current subscription offers (which is 12 Mb/sec down though only 8 is guaranteed). Practically speaking I cannot exceed the 15 Mb I am getting at the moment even with a direct Ethernet line into my cable modem without increasing my subscription.
user Stupid cockwomble
The electric line networks do depend on how your house is wired.
So I had a bit of a crisis yesterday on my marksman hunter.

I've used Icy-Veins.com for years now. I have come to trust their evaluations.

Up until Monday on my MM hunter i was getting between 300-450 K DPS in heroic 5mans, dependent upon the group composition and very dependent upon how well the tank and others helped to gather all of our opponents together. My numbers tended towards the higher end when they would pull together large numbers of opponents into a tight group.

On Tuesday was the revamp. I waited a day before going onto Icy-Veins to get their recommendations. One of them for MM hunters was to swap Sidewinders (an active shot) with Trick Shot (a passive talent) for the last tier (level 100). DO NOTE: the notes AND recommendation for this tier changed last night.

So I swapped that for yesterday among many other changes. My DPS dropped to a VERY consistent 180-220 K. At least part of that was due to Bliz just changing around things like tweaking cooldown periods up or down and my having to get used to those changes, but I was really upset that I had such a massive drop in DPS.

Today I said to myself: "Screw this, go back with Sidewinders." Today DPS was 300-400 K.

THEN I went back onto Icy-Veins and saw the editors there had changed their minds making the swap only a possible change instead of the strong recommendation that was there before.

On the other hand, my frost mage seems to be doing a bit better with DPS, hitting around 225 K so considerably up from her 180 K previous to Tuesday.

My havoc (DPS) demon hunter seems to be doing about the same from before Tuesday. She is about matching my mage in DPS but my demon hunter is about 10 item level points below my mage (who, in turn, is about 20 points below my hunter).
It finally happened: one of the other guys moved his channel from 153 to 48.

Being the curious nerd, I tried out each of the available channels just to see what my WiFi is seeing. The speeds below are just for downloading--which have been between 0.4-3 Mb--unless otherwise specified:

36: 14-15 Mb.
40 (which has 2 of the stronger other users: wildly fluctuating between 1 and 14 Mb.
44 (my original bad channel): started badly but got to between 8-11 Mb. Another user is still here.
48 (the other guy's NEW channel): 8-10 Mb.

149 (my current channel): my first test out of habit was at 15 Mb, but another test at the end got me erratic speeds of between 0.5-4.5 Mb down, 0-2.5 Mb up. GAH: apparently something--NOT WiFi--moved in during the 15 or so minutes I was testing!
153 (the other guy OLD channel): 0-2.5 Mb down, 0-1.5 Mb up.
157: a solid 4.8 Mb but uploads varied erratically between 0-2.5 Mb.
161: even downloading the speedtest page was slow. Erratic speeds both up and down, between 0-0.4 Mb down, 0-6(?!?) Mb up.

<sigh> I've moved to channel 36.
dv
macnuke Afar
dv posted:

YEA!!!
in keeping with the Warcraft theme, we have It's Hammer Time brought to you by the DMF
And back again.

This time I tried out each channel running speedtest several times on each channel, reloading that page between each test. The number in parentheses is the number of other WiFi users I can see currently via iStumbler.

36: jagged speeds like a sawtooth, uploads at times hitting 0.
40 (3!): 6-10 Mb down, 0.5-2.5 up spending most of the time around 1.3.
44 (1): erratic speeds though a bit more consistent that 36.
48 (1): jagged speeds, at times the speediest page wouldn't even download and I had to restart my AX once (to be sure: uncertain how THIS may be related).

149: started out promising but subsequent tests got erratic results though not as bad as 44.
153: speedtest page slow to download, 0.5-5 Mb down, erratic upload speeds.
157: like 153 but a wider range for downloads.
161: best performance with a consistent 15 Mb down, 0.4-2.7 Mb up.

Resettled on 161 for now. If I hadn't gotten those last numbers I would have used 40 despite having to share the channel with 3 others.
macnuke Afar
I would figure out how to run a wire.
seriously
Or wrap the outside of your house in chicken wire and ground it. ;)

Or make yourself some new full wall-width curtains or other hangings out of RADIOSCREEN™. Hang these on the inside of whichever walls face the neighbor's WiFi transmitter.
And it's "back".

Or, rather, my best guess is that whatever is trouncing my signal was back again, though perhaps this was related to a 1-minute-long power outage that my neighborhood went through yesterday morning.

So far I've moved my 11n channel TWICE: once yesterday and again this morning. I have to suspect that whatever is doing this just picks one of the 11n channels at random (though with only 8 choices there aren't many choices) and I have happened to be on the channels which some particular device selected.

Yesterday it only became obvious when I started playing WoW about mid-afternoon because there weren't any evident problems before that. I logged in and tried to run through my toons to clear up mail--I have several bank toons on which I store various mats--and just clicking on the mailbox took "forever". Checking latency I saw that my in-game latency was approaching 10 seconds (NOT milliseconds), so I logged out and searched through the channels to find a workable one. Apparently there are 4 non-WiFI devices in my area which are doing this but fortunately there are 4 of the 11n channels which are at least partially clear and the users in my neighborhood are forced to choose between those remaining.

Perhaps my bad luck in choosing channels is "improving" because I can see on iStumbler that one of my neighbors has changed his channel from channel 40 to channel 36 (though the other user is still on 40), and one which was using channel 44 has switched to channel 40.
Condolences.

I'm taking bets on how long DEyncourt is willing to put up with this before he fixes it with hardware, either a cable or something like RadioScreen above. I'll guess at two more months. ;)
Like I wrote before: the problem only becomes obvious while playing WoW simply because in my everyday electronic habits THAT is the only time when near-instantaneous response from remote servers becomes important. If I had gotten sporadic 1-10 seconds lags while typing in a response such as this here, I wouldn't have noticed.
user Stupid cockwomble
dv
DEyncourt posted:
Like I wrote before: the problem only becomes obvious while playing WoW simply because in my everyday electronic habits THAT is the only time when near-instantaneous response from remote servers becomes important. If I had gotten sporadic 1-10 seconds lags while typing in a response such as this here, I wouldn't have noticed.

R

e

a

l

l

y

?

T

h

a

t

w

o

u

l

d

d

r

i

v

e

m

e

n

u

t

s

!
OK. Now that we've have gotten to a point where things have settled into regular patterns:

1) I am finding that with 3 "active" players--ones that have reached 110 in level and at least are participating in LFRs--that I am about at my limit for game play. While I have 5 other toons at levels 105 or 106, I have gotten them to those levels mostly by doing the Ogrimmar fishing and cooking dailies. 3 of those haven't even done their "intro" quest to get their first artifact weapons. While all 5 of those now have 800 in both fishing and cooking, I still continue to do them because they gain 4-5% experience per level everyday and it takes me around 45 minutes, give-or-take, to run them all through those dailies.

On the other hand, for my active players--a marksman hunter, a frost mage, and a havoc (DPS) demon hunter--the grind of completing the daily world quest (WQ) is about all I can stand (and it is worse when it is for the Wardens because that requires moving a lot from zone to zone). I primarily focus upon the WQs which offer artifact points because none of mine have maxxed any of their artifact weapons (my hunter is closest with 51 out of the total 54 points into his main weapon AND of course he does have 2 other weapons to be improved), and only secondarily doing WQs for gear or relics (mostly on my mage since she is my enchanter and can disenchant anything which is not an improvement upon her current gear) and thirdly for order resources (mostly for my demon hunter because she "only" has about 3K). As a result I spend a lot of time repeating WQs.

For my hunter (skinning/leatherworking) I also do the felhide WQ regardless of zone and only those WQ which offer Stormscale as reward. I have (too many) pieces of Stonehide Leather and any WQs for unbroken teeth/claws are useless as I don't need any more of those. Apparently he has gotten all of the LWing WQs that can offer higher-starred recipes.

For my mage (enchanting/tailoring) there haven't been ANY WQs (yet?).

For my demon hunter (herbing/mining) I do all herbing and mining WQs regardless of zone.

A friend of mine has tried to make it habit to do ALL WQs which offer artifact points at least for his demon hunter which has become his main now. I tried to do that with my hunter but I found that after completing that for a day I've found that just doing the WQ daily for my mage and demon hunter became even MORE of a troublesome grind, so I cut back to doing the same on my hunter. On top of that, I've found that trying to do all artifact point WQs eventually leads to not having enough WQs when a particular faction is that WQ daily so I get behind in doing that daily.

Recently I had given some thought to start working on my warlock, but like I said: by the time I've done my daily chores for my hunter, my mage and my demon hunter, all I want to do is read for a while.

-----

2) Anyone else bothered by how Curse.com is now "updating" JUST the day updated? There are a number of addons that I check and I've found that bunch of them have only their day updated changed but NOT their version numbers. Particularly troublesome are the Ackis Recipe List and its modules for each of the professions. If anything this constant fake updating has forced me to reconsider if I need to use Ackis at all since most (all?) of its functions have been replaced by in-game features.

-----

3) The other day I had something odd happen to me. Like I wrote earlier: I have been doing the Ogrimmar cooking and fishing dailies on my toons not yet maxxed in levels in one way or another (I am still doing these on my demon hunter because she is at about 610 and 540, respectively). A few days ago the fishing daily was to land that fish from the Fury River (or whatever its name) next to Ogrimmar. I have made it habit to land on a particular outcropping overlooking the river, but on that day I was somewhat surprised to find someone else already on that outcropping. He had set up one of those cushions and the beach umbrella. I landed next to him and started fishing in another direction. I was about to put into chat some comment like "Nice setup you have there" but before I could HE typed in "jerk" and then jumped off the outcropping into the river. I was so surprised that I didn't notice what level he was so it was possible he was low enough that he could not yet fly. I thought about /whispering him to ask what his deal was, but then I shrugged and finished my fishing daily.
If you'd like a quick queue, whisper me in game. I've got a 110 Belf DK tank. Though most of my characters are alliance
Kirk posted:
If you'd like a quick queue, whisper me in game. I've got a 110 Belf DK tank. Though most of my characters are alliance

Thanks for the offer, Kirk! Toon name (since I can see which toon you are on)? That way I won't bother you when you are playing Alliance scum :D
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
For my mage (enchanting/tailoring) there haven't been ANY WQs (yet?).
[snip]

Hang on. While it had been a while since getting one (a couple of days?), my mage does get enchanting and tailoring WQs, but like my LWing hunter it has been a while since I've had her complete any of them because their rewards (maybe up to THREE Bloods of Sargeras--whoop) are scarcely worth the trouble of going to the location to redeem them (yes, I am including those "for" the Court of Farondis in Dalaran at the Kirin Tor quartermaster--that "for" in quotes because apparently some bug does not properly tally them when Farondis is the daily WQ faction). Apparently my mage has done all of those WQs which would reward a higher starred recipe.
I also don't bother doing crafting quests once I have maxed the recipe. I don't find the blood reward worth it either, except for alchemy. I can use all the bloods I can find to make alchemical recipes.

For the rest of you - This week the special event is world quests. Reputation rewards are doubled. Get the special weekly quest from Timear and after 20 world quests you get a whopping 5000 resources as reward.
Kirk posted:
[snip]
For the rest of you - This week the special event is world quests. Reputation rewards are doubled. Get the special weekly quest from Timear and after 20 world quests you get a whopping 5000 resources as reward.

Considering that I've always done the world quest faction daily--which would amount to 28 WQs per week with at least a handful of additional WQs for skinning, mining and herbing--this weekly quest is still worth doing even though it is only for Order Resources. My hunter had about 35 K, my mage had about 15 K and my demon hunter had about 10 K so getting more Order Resources isn't a high priority.

My friend with his demon hunter main has a follower companion who also had the token for 100 Order Resources for every quest completed with that companion, so his demon hunter had just short of 200 K. Fortunately I pointed out to him that he can "buy" Seals of Broken Fate from that OTHER vendor at the entrance for Violet Hold with 1K, 2K and 4K Order Resources at each of the levels. Still only limited to 3 Seals per week, but at least he could spend 3 Seals during one of his LFRs and still have a total of 6 available if and when he does start regular raiding.

This week (starting March 5th) is also the first full week of the month and thus is time for Darkmoon Faire. It features a weekly quest for each of the WoW professions including First Aid, Cooking and Fishing where you can increase your current standing in those professions by 5 points each. There is also the merry-go-round which gives your toons a 10% boost in experience and reputation while in effect (lasts for up to an hour but will be cancelled by any death). For the last I've made it a habit to send all of my under-110 toons, first to take a ride at the start of the week to get the experience bonus while doing the Ogrimmar fishing and cooking dailies, then to take a ride at the end of the week so that they can benefit from that bonus for as long as 2 weeks afterwards (that length being dependent upon which particular cooking and fishing dailies are randomly selected during that period).
My WoW-playing friend pointed out a difference between different toons: for the next-to-last level (the last one with a choice) on the Class Hall Upgrade NPC, only SOME toons get to choose for what is called "Fel Hammer's Wrath" for demon hunters and "Might of Dalaran" for mages. This allows you to "do" every 18 hours one of the "lower" world quests (one WITHOUT a wreath around it on the map) and by using the item created by an NPC (to whom your toon must talk before that item can be created), getting the rewards for doing that world quest. Sorry, but I forget which of my friend's toon(s?) did not get this selection.

For my marksman hunter (but I'm guessing this is NOT class-specific) I have the choice of "Unseen Path", which allows him to get only one "free" Seal of Broken Fate (SBR) supposedly per week, or "Foraging", which will give him more Order Resources when accompanied by one of the follower/champions as a combat ally. Note there is NOT an equivalent option that the mages and demon hunters have.

Now personally I have never gotten that Unseen Path NPC to give me another SBR after being given that first one. I specifically used up one of my SBRs in an LFR AND did not buy any more SBRs from that vendor in the front of Violet Hold which offers your toons the choice of buying more SBRs with either gold or order resources so I had under the maximum of 6 SBRs, then went to that Unseen Path NPC and never had the offer repeated, so I figure that this option has been broken and have selected the other option now.

While the titles are different, I had selected that SBR option for my mage and the free SBR gal has never repeated the offer after that first time as well, so I am in the process of changing that Class Hall Upgrade to Might of Dalaran (still a day or so away).

While my warlock isn't 110 yet but he can still see the Class Hall Upgrade options and for the last selection an equivalent to Fel Hammer's Wrath (under a different name) will be the one he selects when he gets there.

-----

I have a different question for you guys with warlocks: what warlock spec did you choose? I choose demonology for mine buy I'm not particularly happy with the limited experience I've had with it since it seems to me that ALL of the demonolgy spells take a long time to cast. While my warlock has that Void Thingy with him which is USUALLY a aggro draw, it isn't alway successful at that.
macnuke Afar
depends on what you are doing as to spec...
I play mostly what I enjoy though.
I quest as Aff.
I raid as aff/destruction.

while doing world quests... those bosses with 40 to 50 million health are soloed with my blue thingy (Voidwalker) and I run Affliction
my item level is only 880 so your mileage may vary.

Demo can do nice dps, i find it clunky in some regards and just rarely use it.
Well, crap. I guess this is a demonstration of exactly how little I have played my warlock, but actually I had first specced him as destruction, NOT demonology. So, that's what should have gotten my complaints as not being able to cast spells fast enough. It was such that even while doing SOME of the Ogrimmar fishing and cooking dailies that when my warlock had to kill something to complete them (like that one where you have to kill "thieves" to recover their loot), my warlock's spell would take so long that a kill got stolen out from under him by another toon doing that daily.

Thanks, macnuke, I took your suggestion of setting up my warlock with affliction, going to the trouble of getting the affliction warlock's artifact weapon (though I had to reset my warlock to affliction destruction to complete that chain of quests because he did not have ANY weapon he could use as an affliction warlock).

Affliction is a bit weird.

While I was able to get some things done in my warlock's first selected zone of Stormheim (which I picked since I first picked Highmountain for my hunter, Azshara for my mage, Valsharah for my demon hunter), the mechanics for aff warlocks is such that by Recount his "direct" damage is REALLY low, like 12-20 K even though he IS killing quest NPCs. In comparison I THINK my warlock was doing 100-150 K while doing those Org fishing/cooking dailies when those required killing something, but probably that isn't fair considering that all of those targets had no offense or defense compared to the quest NPCs in Stormheim.

Plus I am still learning the mechanics for fighting as an aff warlock (though, really, I'd have to RE-learn fighting as destro warlock too).
:shrug: I do have the quest to get the demonlogy artifact weapon. Maybe I'll get that too (though probably running as affliction) just to give it a try.

EDIT: I can't recall the correct specs. <sigh>

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 pm.

OK, this IS weird.

It is my habit to first check my down- and upload speeds first thing whenever I get on my computer. MOST of the time it has been fine, but every now and again I will see that my download speed is a crappy number so I will start up my AirPort Utility to tell my home LAN to change the 802.11n channel it is using. Up to this morning I had always found a channel that basically had minimal problems such that the download speeds was at least 8 Mb/sec.

This morning I went through all 8 of the available 11n channels. All of them had problems.

Now, I probably could live with 4 Mb/sec download, perhaps being shared with another LAN that I could see with iStumbler, but all of these channels kept bopping up and down from 12 (or less) Mb down to under 1 Mb. I decided to experiment with AirPort Utility and tell it to use the "Automatic" channel selection in the 5 GHz band figuring that perhaps it would scan all the available options and choose the one with the least problems. After all, I could always reset it to another channel if it chose something I could not use.

I am now using channel 52 (at least according to iStumbler which I have no reason to doubt).

Hang on, you're saying, aren't there only 8 allowed 11n channels set in two banks with those channels separated by 4 channel numbers, so:
36, 40, 44, 48 and
149, 153, 157, 161?

That is true, and when I've used AirPort Utility to set my 11n channel those channels in the above list are the only ones I can select. I even reset my home LAN's channel to 161 (checking it again to see that it was still having problems) and THEN tried the Automatic channel selection again and mine was changed to 52.

Now the RF spectrum can be a wild place with all sorts of weirdnesses. I suspect that there are some devices in my neighborhood which are crowding into the 11n channels which was why I was having problems in the first place. My suspicion is that my occupation of channel 52 will be short-lived because something else will come in to trounce my LAN, but maybe after that I will see that Automatic in AirPort Utility will choose, maybe, channel 145 for me.
On my warlock I got the demonology artifact weapon although while still as an affliction warlock.

My main problem with playing my warlock is that I'm not having ANY fun while on my warlock. Perhaps that will change if I go to the trouble to switch to demonology spec because with both aff and destro specs I have no clear understanding how DPS in either of those specs work. For aff in Recount my warlock's DPS numbers are REALLY low--NEVER higher than 40 K DPS at level 109--although he is killing NPCs while questing in Stormheim. I am thinking that I'll complete all the quest chains in Stormheim before going on to Suramar because I'm certain my warlock will hit 110 before finishing Stormheim.

Or, maybe, I'll just screw that and just hit the other zones with the prelim quests that at least get me an opening flypoint to each. The main problem with this path is that the quest log gets filled up such that I'll have to drop quests.

In any case: with 7.2 expecting to drop this coming Tuesday, I expect that for a while I'll be spending most of my time on my hunter doing what is required to get flying in Legion. It looks like that similar to how Blizz saved Tanaan Jungle in Draenor and required doing stuff there before allowing general flying around Draenor, Broken Shore--that off-shore zone to the SE--has been saved and will have similar requirements.
Perhaps I'll just concentrate on getting my warlock's herbing and alchemy quests done. Those will be easier with flying. :)
On my warlock (still aff) I took the starter quests into Azsuna, Valsharah and Highmountain. In that process he got to 110 so AFTER doing that quest which your toons take to defend the Exodar, I did the starter quests in Suramar which opened that zone up THEN completed the set of world quest dailies which any 110-level toon gets to start with since there was the potential that he could get useful drops from them EXCEPT all he got was gear in the 805-825 range which were useless since I had already geared him with all of the cloth armor (including the cloak). Just bad luck in not getting a new necklace or rings or trinkets (I haven't taken my JC [a rogue] out into the Broken Isles yet).

So my warlock is an herbalist/alchemist. I have this chart of what recipes the factions will sell toons with enough rep:
Code:
                  shoulder enchant   Al BS En In JC LW Ta Co FA
Court of Farondis raw gems           -  -  -  X  -  -  X  -  -
Dreamweavers      herb, fish         -  -  X  -  -  X  -  -  -
Highmountain      meat food mats     -  X  -  -  X  X  -  -  -
Nightfallen       enchant mats       -  -  X  -  X  -  X  -  -
Valajar           ore, some armor    -  X  -  -  -  X  -  -  -
Wardens           Bloods of Sargeras -  -  X  X  X  -  -  X  X

The "Co" is for Cooking and "FA" is First Aid.

Notice that no faction offers any alchemy recipes so I guess my warlock will just have to pick those up while adventuring. I suppose I'll get my warlock the Dreamweavers shoulder enchant or maybe that from the Wardens since he is totally out of Bloods having used the few that he had to upgrade his cloth armor. At item level 806 he's still not good enough to get into heroic dungeons, much less getting into LFRs, AND I'm still a bit uncertain about his DPS numbers according to Recount: still under 45 K while my hunter (item level 882) is averaging about 10 times that.

Since my warlock has an alchemy quest starting in Azsuna I will have him adventure there. He has all of the preliminary herbalist quests which require him to get various herb parts before getting the first star level for Aethril, Dreamleaf, Foxflower and Starlight Rose (he has gotten that for Felwort and Fjarnskaggl).
That's too organized. I just do whichever faction gives a bonus that day. Eventually I'll get them done.
macnuke Afar
you will pick up your alchemy in mythic 5 mans and some raids.
Kirk posted:
That's too organized. I just do whichever faction gives a bonus that day. Eventually I'll get them done.

Naturally I have all of my 110s do at least the daily faction world quest to get that bonus.

My chart was more oriented towards which faction a toon might first concentrate on by working that faction's zone (with the exception of the Wardens, of course) via standard adventuring as opposed to the daily faction world quest.

macnuke posted:
you will pick up your alchemy in mythic 5 mans and some raids.

Ah, thanks! Though unfortunately my warlock is in his own guild, and I've mentioned before that my main's guild has been less than helpful in Legion <sigh> so I won't have much luck as a DPS trying to do mythic 5mans <double sigh>. It will be a while before he (item level 810) can get into LFRs: he just needs some luck to replace his lower-level jewelry (necklace, rings, trinkets) and a LOT of Bloods of Sargeras to improve his tailor-crafted gear via Obliterium (my demon hunter started 110 with that latter problem as well).

Actually I sent my warlock (herbalist/alchemist) into his first 5man at all--heroic Eye of Azshara--last night. He still was at the bottom of DPS--even below the healer who did about 120 K overall to my warlock's 80 K--but that didn't matter since the tank (a warrior) started out the dungeon doing 1200 K (!) and ended it with 700 K overall. The rest of us were struggling just to keep up with him since he kept on running as soon as every fight was done.

And my warlock got his first alchemy recipe in there too. He also got a tailoring recipe which I do not understand, but that wasn't soulbound so I mailed it to my mage (tailoring/enchanting) but I suspect she may already have it.

Odd thing though: I don't think ANY of my other 110s ever got a drop out of the many heroic 5mans they have done for any professions other than their own.

I shall work on my second hunter (beast mastery) who is a miner/engineer next. He still needs to get his first artifact weapon even though I have gotten him to level 107 by doing only the Ogrimmar fishing and cooking dailies up to now.
Extreme patience is required for DPS trying to run mythics. I've waited as much as 40 minutes to get into, say, Karazhan.

Alternate Option 1 - Consider starting your own mythic group. You'll trade the hassle of running a group for perhaps tens of minutes not spent waiting.

Alternate Option 2 - Whisper me in game. I've still got that BELF DK tank which I wouldn't mind using sometime ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20