Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20
Online now: juice
Conner Of Gallifrey
I was getting pretty severe lag on a Logitech wireless keyboard (not Bluetooth) after 6 months… swapped back to a wired one. Weird, their mice are insanely nice (10+ years of using those).
The problem might also be the USB dongle. Make sure its as close as possible to the keyboard for best responsiveness. Try to plug it directly into the computer if at all possible so there's no delay or low power to the dongle courtesy a hub. My tower has a couple ports on top of the case, which is where my mouse dongle is placed. I use a wired keyboard.
Kirk posted:
Try removing, wait about 30 seconds, and replacing the keyboard's batteries. It sounds like the battery indicator might be confused.

If that fails to fix the problem, replace those batteries.

If that fails to fix the problem, does this keyboard also have a watch battery (sometimes included to remember settings during main battery swaps)? If so, replace that battery.

If that fails to fix the problem, its time for a new keyboard or keyboard dongle ;)

Um, "sealed battery". There aren't even any evident screws, though perhaps those are underneath the rubber feet of the bottom panel.

Remember that even under the hands of a very fast typist (which I am NOT) a keyboard literally spends nearly all of its time just waiting. It shouldn't be a big surprise that it is a very low power draw overall.

Mine has been disconnected for the past 26 hours or so which includes perhaps 8+ hours playing WoW on top of some typing here and it is still reading at 100%. I'll post about it again when it dips below 3 digits.
dv
The batteries in a wireless keyboard should last weeks or months under normal use.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
There aren't even any evident screws, though perhaps those are underneath the rubber feet of the bottom panel.
[snip]

Ah, I should have checked with iFixIt first: yes, though not metal screws but just plastic fasteners.
After about 60 hours not being connected and something like 20+ hours of that being subject to the relatively continual activity of playing WoW, my keyboard's reported charge has finally fallen to 99%.

I'll not bother with that Lightning cable with an elbow in the plug.

Likely I can let the keyboard run without recharging for at least a month without the charge falling below 80% but perhaps I'll get into the habit of having it charge overnight every Sunday (though just as a test I WILL not plug it tomorrow evening. Maybe I'll see the charge percentage relatively quickly drop when it gets past 95%?). And, of course, even if I forget I can just plug in the keyboard though with that Lightning cable annoyingly sticking into the bottom of my MBP's screen.

-----

Perhaps that 5man in which my hunter got 480 K DPS overall was a bit of fluke, but his numbers have been running around 380-400 K. This is a marked improvement over his 200-350 K during my problems.
Perhaps you're not getting a good signal between the keyboard dongle and keyboard? Keep them as close together as possible. Nothing should be blocking line of sight.
Kirk posted:
Perhaps you're not getting a good signal between the keyboard dongle and keyboard? Keep them as close together as possible. Nothing should be blocking line of sight.

My Magic Keyboard is right on top of my MBP's keyboard. No dongle: it is Bluetooth.

Down to 98% at the moment.
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:
Try removing, wait about 30 seconds, and replacing the keyboard's batteries. It sounds like the battery indicator might be confused.

If that fails to fix the problem, replace those batteries.

If that fails to fix the problem, does this keyboard also have a watch battery (sometimes included to remember settings during main battery swaps)? If so, replace that battery.

If that fails to fix the problem, its time for a new keyboard or keyboard dongle ;)

Um, "sealed battery". There aren't even any evident screws, though perhaps those are underneath the rubber feet of the bottom panel.

Remember that even under the hands of a very fast typist (which I am NOT) a keyboard literally spends nearly all of its time just waiting. It shouldn't be a big surprise that it is a very low power draw overall.

Mine has been disconnected for the past 26 hours or so which includes perhaps 8+ hours playing WoW on top of some typing here and it is still reading at 100%. I'll post about it again when it dips below 3 digits.

Sealed batteries go bad too. That style just means the manufacturer makes it harder to replace when they go.

Though I agree your description suggests the battery is probably not the problem. Still removing and replacing it (if you can) might reset the battery indicator circuitry.
It has been either 222 or 246 hours since I've plugged in the keyboard (did I unplug it on Thursday or Friday morning? Not absolutely certain). In any case: it has been a while.

Current battery charge in the keyboard: 86%. Roughly 1.5% per day (though dropping below 100% did take a couple of days), so around 65 days IF I were to let it go down to zero. And that is with 4-6 hours of WoW play per day.

Likely that if I were to plug it in now it would be fully recharged in an hour or so. I think I will just get into the habit of plugging the keyboard in every Sunday evening/Monday morning before going to sleep.
dv
I don't know why you're so worried about the battery life. The appropriate units for measuring wireless keyboard battery life are weeks, not hours. A good wireless mouse, you measure that human waste in months.
dv posted:
I don't know why you're so worried about the battery life. The appropriate units for measuring wireless keyboard battery life are weeks, not hours. A good wireless mouse, you measure that human waste in months.

Merely uncertainty in a--for me--completely new situation. I never had had a wireless keyboard before and I don't know anyone who used one.

I did guess that such a low power draw was likely, but if you go back through this string I'm sure that you will see that Kirk was the one with the suspicions.
And NOW: all of my Internet connections problems are BACK. w00t.

Up until yesterday I had been regularly checking whenever I got back online and the readings I was getting were between 8 and 12 Mb/sec down, mostly in the 9-10 range. Then late last night I started to have some lag problems while playing WoW. Tested my speed and was getting between 1.5 and 3 Mb/sec down. Way off and much less than what I'm paying for, but acceptable for playing WoW.

Just now I ran a test and my download speed STARTED at about 1.5 Mb and then slowed down to 0.3 before the test gave up. Upload speed are staying at about 1.5 Mb/sec though.
dv
Well... it's probably not the keyboard, at least. :-)
Whoops. I forgot to plug in my keyboard last night (well, missing that first time doesn't mean I cannot make it a habit).

It was at 84% when I plugged it in. NOW about an hour later it is at 100% (though to be sure: it might have gotten to 100% long before now).

So unplugging it now at 8:34 am PST.

-----

My Internet speeds are now running at a more-or-less consistent 2.5 Mb/sec down, 1.5 up. Much better than the wild swings in download speeds of between 0-6 Mb--and that mostly at the lower end--though still substantially off my previous speeds of around 9.

I did contact AT&T service last night and after several tests the tech there determined that I need a new cable modem. My FOURTH after about 5 weeks now. <sigh>
Late last night my erratic speeds returned with 0-6 Mb down, 0-1.4 up. SOMETIMES a speedtest would fail because I essentially got 0 Mb up--not merely a very slow speed reading but actually a flat ZERO--thoroughout an entire test.

Complained again to AT&T tech support. Got upgraded to a senior support staffer but he wasn't able to fix the problem either.

Still going to get a replacement cable box delivered later this week.

On the other hand: tried a speed test just now and got between 1.5 and 3.1 Mb up, 0.7-1.5 down with both runs staying mostly around the middle for both. Playable but still very much off the 9-10 Mb down I was getting up to late Saturday evening.

But let's see how long my current bout with stability lasts.

-----

Hey, is inscription as a profession in WoW dead?

I have been concentrating on my hunter (skinning/leatherworking) and my mage (tailoring/enchanting) and now my demon hunter (mining/herbing) so I haven't played my other toons much other that daily runs doing the Orgrimmar fishing and cooking dailies but on occassion I have sent them some basic mats. This had been mostly herbs to my warlock (herbing/alchemy) and ore to my rogue (mining/jewelcrafting).

This morning I sent some Leystone Ore to my warrior (mining/blacksmithing) in order to have him make a couple of armor pieces to replace some Draenor-level pieces. That went fine.

I also send some herbs to my monk (herbing/inscription) in order to complete the initial quest for inscription by milling some of those herbs. HERE I saw a problem: ALL of the Legion-level inscriptions I have seen so far are purely decorative. The reward for completing that quest got my monk the Glyph of Crackling Crane Lighting which merely changes the color of the lighting crackles when casting that move from green to red.

Are all of the glyphs just decorative?

My original plan was to start leveling my monk next once I get my demon hunter to LFRaiding level (now at 814 so just a skoosh more to get into heroic 5man dungeons), but if inscription is this worthless I will lower my monk's priority to after all my other "working" (as opposed to my bank alts) toons. This is somewhat disappointing because the reports I've heard is that playing a windwalking (i.e. DPS) monk is generally pretty fun in Legion.

-----

Keyboard is still at 100% after 24 29 hours off of the recharge cable.

EDIT: added "ore" to what I've been sending to my JC rogue just clarify that.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:08 pm.

My guess would be water in the router on the telephone pole outside your place.
Kirk posted:

THAT would not explain why I've had a succession of THREE routers begin to fail over the past 6 weeks or so.

Um, AT&T has some local router room. I would think that they keep that relatively water-free.

The last time a tech came out he checked for problems between my house and my local router and found no problems (though he did switch my particular Ethernet cable from one socket to another, though perhaps only as a test).

-----

Huh. At the moment I'm getting a solid 11.4 Mb down, 1.5 Mb up. Had my service been this way all along I wouldn't have complained at all.

I WILL contact AT&T tech support before making the cable modem swap (well, unless my connection goes to crap again).
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

THAT would not explain why I've had a succession of THREE routers begin to fail over the past 6 weeks or so.

Um, AT&T has some local router room. I would think that they keep that relatively water-free.

The last time a tech came out he checked for problems between my house and my local router and found no problems (though he did switch my particular Ethernet cable from one socket to another, though perhaps only as a test).

-----

Huh. At the moment I'm getting a solid 11.4 Mb down, 1.5 Mb up. Had my service been this way all along I wouldn't have complained at all.

I WILL contact AT&T tech support before making the cable modem swap (well, unless my connection goes to crap again).

Having worked in this for a few years; water can get into the lines in between you and the POP; on Cable lines it's annoying to track down (T1s are far easier).
Well, it's not particularly weather-related. Up until about 2 weeks ago the LA weather had been dry, and remember that my problems started with the original cable modem that I got when I switched to AT&T U-verse: that one was about 4 years old and the lines between my house and the local router room had been through a lot of different weather.

As far as I can tell the phone line from my house is underground, so no neighbors "accidentally" watering up a telephone pole.

I can only trust that the tech who came out last time and checked my line between my house and the local router room knew what he was doing. My previous modem THEN was having those jagged speed problems but he did not find any wiring problems (which was why he swapped out THAT modem for the one I have right now).
macnuke Afar
it's been my experience with cable repair guys....

3 weeks ago, they were working at walmart
If it gets worse again after the upcoming rains this weekend, you'll have your proof.
macnuke Afar
that his tech support worked at walker 3 weeks ago?
Kirk posted:
If it gets worse again after the upcoming rains this weekend, you'll have your proof.

That my connection problems are somehow related rainy weather? Not really. You will recall that my history has been such that my problems HAVE been unrelated to weather.

RIGHT NOW my download speeds are off a small amount--though fully acceptable--at a solid 7-9 Mb/sec and most of the test spent at 8.4 with no wavering at all. Upload is also at a solid 1.4 Mb/sec.

So UPS is suppose to deliver the replacement modem today (maybe tomorrow). Do I swap it regardless or check with AT&T and tell them "Y'know, my speeds have been OK for the past 2 days now--at least every time I've checked--so you can have this back"?

macnuke posted:

I did talk with both of my techs for a while. They both seemed to be tech heads and not inexperienced recent hires going through rote motions (well, unless AT&T taught them to fake that too).
dv
There are stupid people in every vocation. Hopefully you get the smart ones.

macnuke posted:

OT, but... what's that? The only "Walker" I'm familiar with is an art gallery.
I think macnuke meant to type in "walmart", but maybe that's a local joke of some kind.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
I think macnuke meant to type in "walmart", but maybe that's a local joke of some kind.

I figured it was a local grocery chain or something, but was curious anyway.
macnuke Afar
macnuke posted:

thought I typed walmart

perhaps your censor filter changed it :lol:
macnuke Afar
macnuke posted:

ouch. mine did lol but i did mean walmart
dv
macnuke posted:
macnuke posted:

ouch. mine did lol but i did mean walmart

macnuke Afar
I got a call this morning from AT&T tech support. He said that he was personally in charge of seeing that my Internet problems get fixed.

I did mention that my cable modem was acting better over the past 3 days or so, with some wavering but speeds staying in the 6-9 Mb range down AND being very steady at around 8 Mb, 1.4 Mb up. Certainly not the sawtooth ranges in speeds dropping down to zero that I had during my problems.

Something occurred to me following that call: my modem speeds were pretty solid for the first 7 to 10 days then hit the crapper. For each of the previous 2 new modems I contacted tech support to complain on the first day, after which they sent out a tech to my home who replaced the modem by the following day.

On the other hand: THIS time they had to spend some time setting up a new modem and shipped it to me via UPS. So in contrast following about 3 days of speed problems I have had practically NO problems since.

Just maybe what may be going on is that some people have taken some time--that 7 to 10 days--to spot ANY new modems and they spent a few days trying to hack in knowing that a new modem MIGHT mean a new computer user on the other side who may be vulnerable to attacks? And that after those few days of attempted attacks they gave up?

While each of the cable modems came to me with WiFi enabled, I have gone into each of them and disabled WiFi (not completely trusting the security of passwords which are after all printed on the side of the modem). Beyond that I have set up my Apple Expresses (AX) into their own separate network with the main one directly connected to the cable modem and getting an IP address from it while that main AX serves out its own set of local IP addresses to my MBP. Yes, I know that this is double-NATting, but note that at times I had gotten over 15 Mb/sec downloads so I doubt very much that double-NATting is any part of my problems.

I did ask the AT&T tech support guy that maybe I didn't have to swap modems. He said that I have 20 days before I had to return either modem (though if I do switch then the previous modem WILL stop working) so I can take some time before deciding what to do.

-----

The UPS guy just showed up with the new cable modem. I will have to open it just to remove the shipping label so I can send either it or the old modem back.
Its not uncommon for replacement modems to be 'refurbished'. Note that the refurbishment is sometimes (meaning often) less than perfect. That you are persisting in calling means they realize you might leave if they don't really fix it.
user Stupid cockwomble
You could buy your own new modem.
I got a call this morning from my AT&T tech support guy.

I advanced my idea that perhaps someone was tracking for new modems somewhere and attacking them as likely vulnerable targets. His reply was that he lacked the ability to track any off-network behavior.

While talking to him I ran speedtest a few times and got between 4-7 Mb down, 1.3 Mb up, so a bit off my top speeds but more than acceptable.

-----

AND now about a hour later my speed problems are BACK! 0.19 Mb down and spending a lot of the time dipping down to zero, 1.4 Mb up but only at the end--it was mostly below 0.5 Mb for most of the test. AND this was when a test could be completed at all--many times I had tests simply fail.

Even worse: each of the tests run a ping test at first. I was getting pings of as high as 2800 ms (normally between 25-30 ms including those test earlier today).

<sigh> Getting the scissors to cut the tape on that shipping box.
I swapped the boxes. NO speed improvement unlike past swaps.

<sigh> In queue to chat to someone in tech support. Now a 15-minute wait.
Try refreshing your hosts file?
Kirk posted:
Try refreshing your hosts file?

Just using Google's: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Oh, wait, that my DNS servers.
It took a bit to find the hosts file--had to look up where it is located.

Mine is very short and nothing odd in it:
Quote:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost

That last line is the IP6 equivalent for 127.0.0.1.
macnuke Afar
heh
not upset, that would be useless. so I am laughing.

this tread is getting more detailed on DEs crappy interwebs than Warcraft.

so in keeping with the new guidelines around here..instead of games, it may have to be moved to the technical forum.
:lol:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20