Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20
Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy, Majestic-12 [Bot]
While I did a number of LFRs today I picked up a number of artifact point tokens worth 7400 points each, so I got back to Dalaran and to my bank there and got out my beast master gun and survival staff. Traveling back to Trueshot Lodge, I changed my spec to each and automatically was armed with each weapon, then applied one token to each and was able to click on a bunch of attributes until running out.

I'm still working on my marksman bow since I am now just 2 clicks away from maxxing it, but I figure that I am maybe 4 or 5 days away from doing that since the current click requires 935 K (I think) and I am at 165 K at the moment. PERHAPS 3 clicks away since I am not sure if the final button itself requires artifact points or I will get it when all of my bow's attributes are filled out (the description implies the latter but maybe that MY interpretation is wrong or Blizz might change its mind).

My understanding is that a full set of attributes for an artifact weapon (set) requires about 3.5 M points.
Conner posted:
Kirk posted:
Does anybody know if artifact research on one artifact also applies to the second one? Or do I have to go back through that again with the second gun? I've just about got the first gun fully boosted and going to start on the second one.

Artifact research is applied to all your artifacts; even if you don't yet have them.

Awesome, thank you. I was dreading doing the grind for resources and waiting for the researches to finish on a second and third weapon.
macnuke Afar
by all means.... DO your artifact research as often as CD allows.
most of my WDs drop a 9K AP. some are 12-14K points.
So...is anyone else having this problem or maybe this is just specific to Hyjal server?

For the past couple of weeks I can be playing with everything humming along as usual, and then everything becomes very laggy in the game. Not just 300 ms laggy but more like 4000 ms laggy where I can do something and wait not just 4 seconds for the game to respond but up to dozens of seconds, then a bunch of things will happen nearly all at once.

Last night I was dropped into the start of a heroic dungeon on the ship. Started OK, but then when we got to the first boss it all slowed down. I usually try to grab my treasure from that boss before anyone could blow the horn that brings in the ship and puts us all into captivity in cages there, but it appears that the others in my group had advanced to the point where they were tackling the ghost dogs while I was still waiting to approach the corpse of the first boss there. I apologized saying that I was suffering from a huge lag and dropped group.
macnuke Afar
probably a hyjal moment.

Play turalyon main and either bronzebeard or Mok'Nathal for alts.
I get the same waffle on bb, rarely on Mok and never on Turalyon.

and Turalyon is usually high pop.
Actually, probably a wiring problem somewhere.

AT&T offers this speed test via their U-Verse site, and at a friend's suggestion last night I tried it. My speeds varies from 0 (seriously!) to 4 Mb/sec down and 0.1 to 1.5 Mb/sec up DURING any given test. This test appears to be more honest than most others out there since it doesn't end with some sort of working average but only the "last" peak value. Just now I got a report of 0.57 up / 0.6 down which are way less than what I should be getting ("up to" 5.0 down / 2.0 up, I think).

AND it does not require JavaScript to work (a big plus for me).

AT&T will be sending someone out to check on my wiring sometime between 8:30 am and 12:30 pm today.
macnuke Afar
Well, AT&T missed the first window, so someone there called me and set up a new time of between 8:30 am and 9:30 am, Monday morning.

I got a guy on time who seemed to know what he was doing. I told him how AT&T had mailed a new modem to me this past September (I think) and he was immediately skeptical and asked to take a look at it. He said his experience was that when AT&T had done this before, the company often sends out refurbished modems relying that their customers wouldn't recognize any signs of wear and tear (I did not). His immediate diagnosis was to replace the modem.

While we were waiting for it to fully boot up and download any current updates, we talked about my connection problems. He said that it was common for cable modems to "age" out of service and suggested that I might consider replacing my Airport Expresses (AX) since they were rather old (I think all of mine are at least 8 years old, all being the original model that supports only 802.11 b/g WiFi). I was a BIT skeptical of that assessment considering that there shouldn't be much wear and tear upon all such devices, but I let that go.

With the new cable modem updated and running properly, I checked its WiFi connections: over 15 Mb/sec down, 1.5 Mb/sec up! It natively supports 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, though I did tell the tech that I would be going into the cable modem's setup to "adjust" things like disabling the guest networks--one for 11 b/g and the other for 11 n--and changing the default WiFi names and passwords (which I did).

Because of wiring issues and distance my MBP cannot connect to the 11 n network, but I was able to re-connect my AXes to the cable modem without any fuss at all. Using that same speedtest I got between 1.6 and 2.5 Mb/sec down, 1.2 to 1.8 Mb/sec up, AND this was consistent throughout each test, no fluctuations down to zero as happened with my previous cable modem.

I played WoW nearly all day with nary a connection problem (yay!).

-----

On the other hand (though I am certain this was totally unrelated to my cable modem problem because people in trade chat were complaining about it) I did have this happening at around midnight.

I was running through some quests on my mage trying to clear out her quest log especially of those related to tailoring and enchanting to get more of those recipes (she does NOT have the full basic set in either, much less any 2- or 3-starred versions because I had been concentrating on my hunter nearly exclusively up to quite recently). I was hunting bears in Azsuna for a tailoring quest and was having poor luck getting pieces of bear fur to drop since I had gotten only 6 of the required 20 after about 25 kills when I was suddenly at the toon selection screen. OK, problems happen but when I re-started my mage I found her located at about where she was standing maybe 3 minutes before. That was odd, but what was frustating was that I noticed that her bear fur count was back down to only 5.

Ran around a bit, saw that that count was reset to 6 before I got a few more bear kills and managed to pick up another fur (so a total of 7) when I got booted back to toon selection screen again. THIS time when I got back in, my mage was back at that same location though with 6 bear furs. WoW ran for about 2 minutes when it happened AGAIN.

Rather than having any further actions be cancelled by this problem, I got back in and use my mage's portal to the mage class hall and logged out before being kicked out again.

MAYBE she will be there (rather than in Azsuna) when I next log in.
I've had that happen once lately. Thankfully no more than that. I chalked it up to server lag and switched servers. I had no further problems.
Yeah, that tailoring quest takes a while. The bear fur dropped about 1/3 of the time for me.
I'll give Blizzard credit for making the rep grind less boring this time around. Having varied quests sprinkled all over the map makes it less onerous.

Still no legendaries, on three 110s now.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
I'm still working on my marksman bow since I am now just 2 clicks away from maxxing it, but I figure that I am maybe 4 or 5 days away from doing that since the current click requires 935 K (I think) and I am at 165 K at the moment. PERHAPS 3 clicks away since I am not sure if the final button itself requires artifact points or I will get it when all of my bow's attributes are filled out (the description implies the latter but maybe that MY interpretation is wrong or Blizz might change its mind).

My understanding is that a full set of attributes for an artifact weapon (set) requires about 3.5 M points.

Ah, I really was 3 clicks away then.

Last night my hunter got an artifact token that would push him over the "last" item. Got to Trueshot Lodge and made the change only to find that the real LAST addition will require over 1.6 M artifact points. MAYBE there is the possibility that it will be a multiple click item, but considering that toggling it will give my hunter a 5% increase in all damage I rather doubt that possibility.

I believe that the 3.5 M estimate above must be only for the "linked" additions (since that last artifact addition is separated from any chains), so maybe a full count for the number of artifact points is closer to 5.2 M.

BTW: my mage was still at the mage class hall.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
I believe that the 3.5 M estimate above must be only for the "linked" additions (since that last artifact addition is separated from any chains), so maybe a full count for the number of artifact points is closer to 5.2 M.
[snip]

I should note that my hunter is getting 2600 artifact points from the lowest artifact token while the highest has been 19,200 (I think).

In constrast my mage who hasn't had much of a chance to work on her artifact point improvement is still getting items that give her 5 points, but then her current artifact addition requires only 6500 artifact points so the ratio is very roughly the same (~1300 of the lowest artifact tokens to get an artifact addition on my mage vs. ~615 of the same for my hunter).
This was fun.

I ran a timewalking dungeon on my mage and she got TWO gear drops that pushed her over the minimum needed to run heroic dungeons. This was remarkable in that my mage has had little luck in getting drops in ANY dungeons especially in comparison to my hunter. Sometimes she may get ONE item which is lower than what she already has (which is at least disenchantable for Legion mats) but all too often she had gotten NO drops at all (or useless lower level junk from timewalking dungeons).

BUT when I got into her first heroic dungeon just a half-hour or so ago, the other people were having lag problem and so did I. It got to about a total of 4 seconds total which really does make the game unplayable. When I volunteered to drop out, returning back to Hyjal server didn't seem to make any difference. I would cast something and it was beat, two, thre...and then it would actually be cast.

-----

Just a reminder: if you have some lower-level toons that you haven't been working on in preference to your main(s), this is Darkmoon Faire week and you can do the weekly profession quests there which can raise your professions and other skills like first aid or fishing by 5 points each. Just remember to go through the prelims for Legion or to use the option to skip those in order to get to the Broken Isles version of Dalaran because some skills like first aid which cannot have their top limit raised to 800 until you get there and talk to the appropriate trainer. Mining seems to be odd in that you can raise the limit to 800 ONLY by going out into Broken Isles and mining at least one ore deposit. Even here my rogue was oddly different in that he got a quest from the mining trainer in Dalaran which amounted to the same thing, though he specifically had to mine some Leystone Ore. I did NOT get that quest on my second (beastmaster) hunter or my warrior who are both miners.

There is also the merry-go-round at the faire which will boost experience and reputation earned by 10% for an hour after the ride (though it does go away if you die before that hour is out). This is an hour in game time for THAT particular toon, so if you are like me and have some toons in a sort of limbo just doing the Orgrimmar fishing and cooking dailies (just so that when I DO get around to them they will have close to max in fishing and cooking), the experience earned in each will be boosted. With some luck you could have that hour last for the entire week and with another ride late next Saturday have it last for almost another week.
and spend time fishing for 500 DMF daggermaw so you can buy the mount. I estimate this at a bit over 2 hours.
I suggest using a toon with fishing at 500+. I've noticed lower skill levels get a lot of trash.
Or just sell the daggermaw you do fish up for around 20G each. ;)

I had nasty lag for about a half hour in the afternoon too. Bad enough to get disconnected a couple times. I finally found a toon on a server I could play without too much problem. Must have been something affecting much of the LA area or perhaps Blizz is having server problems.

Yeah, to even open up blacksmithing to 800, you have to mine leystone. Do this before hitting the DMF. All my blacksmiths are also miners, so that's not a problem. The cut scene with exploding blacksmithing shop and blackened blacksmithing trainer was minor amusement.

I am shocked they removed smelting from this expansion. You use leystone as is to craft armor and weapons, at least at the low levels.

Whisper me in game if you want a quick queue. I can switch to my tanks.
Kirk posted:
and spend time fishing for 500 DMF daggermaw so you can buy the mount. I estimate this at a bit over 2 hours.
I suggest using a toon with fishing at 500+. I've noticed lower skill levels get a lot of trash.
Or just sell the daggermaw you do fish up for around 20G each. ;)

I had nasty lag for about a half hour in the afternoon too. Bad enough to get disconnected a couple times. I finally found a toon on a server I could play without too much problem. Must have been something affecting much of the LA area or perhaps Blizz is having server problems.

Yeah, to even open up blacksmithing to 800, you have to mine leystone. Do this before hitting the DMF. All my blacksmiths are also miners, so that's not a problem. The cut scene with exploding blacksmithing shop and blackened blacksmithing trainer was minor amusement.

I am shocked they removed smelting from this expansion. You use leystone as is to craft armor and weapons, at least at the low levels.

Whisper me in game if you want a quick queue. I can switch to my tanks.

OH. Totally unaware of that DMF mount offer. On the other hand I'm not going to bother doing THAT much fishing at DMF, but I will gather all the Daggermaw I've caught on my various toons and maybe sometime WAY in the future I'll get that mount (probably shortly before the NEXT version of WoW drops IF I recall this).

One of my miners only got a Felslate Ore node before I saw he got his upper limit on mining raised to 800, so mining Leystone Ore was NOT required to raise that limit except for my rogue. He is also a jewelcrafter which may be why he differed from my other two miners. I should note that there is a SECOND actually more convenient entrance to the part of Dalaran's Underbelly which is reserved for rogues' class hall in the mining section of that blacksmith shop.

Hmm. Totally missed that cut scene at the blacksmithing shop, though maybe not: my other 2 miners (including my blacksmith) have yet to return to Dalaran.

Thanks for the offer for a quick queue, but having all DPS toons I really dislike those players who get into a dungeon for a "quick queue" but have the tank or healer or BOTH instantly drop out, leaving us DPS in the lurch waiting for others to replace them. Arguably a shorter time than staying in a solitary queue for a random heroic 5man but sometimes not by much: I've had to stand around for 5 minutes in a dungeon before others joined (though perhaps those lengthy times were due to the queue not working right). AND I could be doing other things OUTSIDE the dungeon while waiting for my queue to pop. Yeah, I can 'port out of dungeons but who EXPECTS to be waiting THAT long?
Mining yes, a few nodes and you instantly get access to the next tier of skill. Blacksmithing is another story. You have to mine ten pieces leystone and turn it in to the blacksmithing trainer to open up blacksmithing to 800. Since both my blacksmiths are also miners, I never had to test whether blacksmiths in Legion got a perhaps temporary ability to mine leystone. Alternately perhaps they can buy the leystone.

If I queue with you for a dungeon with my tank, I'm not dropping out. I'll finish the dungeon with you. Because I hate it when that happens too. ;)
Oh, yeah. I had some Leystone Ore laying about due to some quest turn-ins and just mailed that to my warrior/blacksmith so he completed that before doing the Darkmoon Faire weeklies. Don't recall the cut scene. :shrug:
Maybe the cutscene was related to felslate. I turned in a couple of those mineral sample quests at once.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk and finally ran a dungeon together; a quick run through Halls of Valor while I grind out a piece of cosmetic gear for my artifact. 5% drop rate; oh joy. :|
DEyncourt posted:
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]

Ah, I really was 3 clicks away then.

Last night my hunter got an artifact token that would push him over the "last" item. Got to Trueshot Lodge and made the change only to find that the real LAST addition will require over 1.6 M artifact points. MAYBE there is the possibility that it will be a multiple click item, but considering that toggling it will give my hunter a 5% increase in all damage I rather doubt that possibility.

BTW: my mage was still at the mage class hall.

Correction: now 19 clicks from done.

Just in the past hour I got enough points in artifact tokens to push my hunter's bow over what I thought was the top. I ran a heroic Halls of Valor dungeon which got me a variety of a half-dozen tokens of various values. I took some time to try to figure out the "best" combination of those tokens because I didn't want to "waste" too many artifact points going over the top. One of them was for 36,500 points which was way more than the 28,500 I needed to reach the "last" level, but eventually I figured that my best value was to use a single token that had 29,400 points.

I was already at the hunter's Trueshot Lodge in preparation for this, so I went to the bench for additions and clicked on it...and found that there is a NEXT level requiring 1.9 M artifact points.

I checked on WoWhead.com and found this page which claims that the final button of an artifact weapon has a total of 20 clicks on it. While the first one gives my hunter a 5% bonus to all damage, it should be noted that each subsequent click adds ONLY 0.5% so when all is done a weapon will have a total of a 14.5% (5.0% + 19 * 0.5%) bonus to all damage. One of the commenters at the link says that the final click will take 4.6 M points, so the artifact points total that can be devoted to a given weapon is something in the range of 65 M points.

Kinda undecided on to put points into one of the other weapons or just work on the marksman bow.
Conner Of Gallifrey
World first max upgraded artifact today… didn't realize that hadn't already happened yet.
Last night while a bunch of my guildies were running some mythic 5mans without keystones in order to complete quests, my hunter happened to get Ullr's Feather Snowshoes in a drop from Oakheart, the second boss of Darkheart Thicket. This is reportedly the best possible legendary drop for marksman hunters. Sorry, Kirk: that's his second legendary with the War Belt of the Sentinel Army.

If you scroll down to look at the comments at the link, one of the posters has put together a list of all of the possible legendaries that a hunter could get. There is a helm for all specs and separate pieces for wrist, waist, feet and finger for each spec (though note that one of the wrists is for both beast mastery and survival hunters), PLUS legs that hunters and shaman can "share" (perhaps for a raid drop?), and finally a neck and a finger which are for all classes. So a total of 8 possible pieces for any particular spec though of course for now we can only wear up to 2 at a time.

Hmm. I hadn't completely understood the implications of the shortened cooldown for the marksman's Trueshot until after reading those comments. It does seem to me to be one of those annoying bonuses which will NOT be helped by habit but because of some amount of unpredictablity must be closely monitored in order to take best advantage of it.
Conner posted:
Kirk and finally ran a dungeon together; a quick run through Halls of Valor while I grind out a piece of cosmetic gear for my artifact. 5% drop rate; oh joy. :|

Aha, that was you. I thought so but wasn't sure.
Yeah, good run and good luck on the low drop rate.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Conner posted:

Ah, I figured it tagged my email address (ConnertheCat) when I added you - sorry! :lol:
Conner posted:
Kirk posted:
Conner posted:
Ah, I figured it tagged my email address (ConnertheCat) when I added you - sorry! :lol:
No, it gave only your BattleNetID, which is not your email address. I had to guess. ;)
Let's do some more runs. That went smoothly. I think I went with my hunter? We should try my DH tanking.

I ran my first Legion heroic raid last night on my furthest progressed hunter. Excepting being lowest DPS, just barely better than the tank, I think I did OK not dying much and got four pieces of gear. Gear the peeps in the raid gave me because literally any mail drop was better than what I had. I got not a single armor piece drop last night, which was weird given the only boss we didn't clear was Cenarius. I'll have to go read up on that fight. Woot, ilevel went from 839 to 848. ;)
<sigh> My mage's luck in dungeon drops has been abysmal ESPECIALLY considering that she is my enchanter and so any soulbound gear which is not an improvement could be disenchanted for more enchantment mats.

Last night on a SINGLE 5man dungeon run on my hunter got THREE soulbound gear drops AND 2 green items. I try to ask at the end of any run if there are any enchanters in my group because I'm always willing to give up piddling amount of gold to help out any enchanters AND this is among the only times that a soulbound item can be traded even to toons not on my server, but everyone dropped out within seconds of the end so my hunter got about 150 gold by vendoring everything which was soulbound and sent those green items to my mage.

ON THE OTHER HAND: I did about a half-dozen such runs on my mage--they tend to blur together and I lose count--and she got just ONE soulbound piece of gear and ONE green-level artifact item (she already had better artifacts added to all three of her artifact weapons. Oh, did you know that such artifact items can be disenchanted?) and NO green gear drops.

Mind you, this has been a more-or-less typical day for me:

Run several dungeons on my hunter and get lots of gear drops, sometimes as many as 10 green drops to be sent to my mage.

Run several dungeons on my mage and get NO drops at all, much less ones which are improvements to her gear. She is still at an item level--836--where 835/845/855 drops from 5man heroic dungeons are likely to be improvements.
These Emerald Nightmare raid macros are written primarily for ranged DPS classes. As always with my targeting macros, the lower on the list, the higher the target's priority. Copy the text below straight into a macro and it'll work that way. These macros are a first guess based on WoWHead strategy pages and my experience last night. I'll probably tweak these macros later.
http://www.wowhead.com/cenarius-strategy-guide
http://www.wowhead.com/nythendra-strategy-guide
http://www.wowhead.com/elerethe-renferal-strategy-guide
http://www.wowhead.com/ursoc-strategy-guide
http://www.wowhead.com/dragons-of-night ... tegy-guide

Targeting Macro for Cenarius Fight:
Note everybody also needs to periodically stand in Malfurion's cleansed earth (green-brown circle on the ground that will shrink and disappear after a while) to clear the stacking debuff. Stand in it briefly whenever it pops. Wait too long and the debuff insta-kills. I know this from personal experience.

/tar Cenarius
/tar Nightmare Ancient
/tar Nightmare Drake
/tar Rotten Drake
/tar Scorned Sister
/tar Twisted Sister
/tar Corrupted Wisp
/SetRaidTarget("target",8;

Nythendra needs no targeting macro
Walk to the periphery to drop your corruption.

Targeting Macro for Elerethe fight:
Walk to the periphery to drop your corruption and shadow tornadoes.

/tar Elerethe
/tar venomous spiderling
/tar skittering spiderling

Ursoc needs no targeting macro.
Ranged stays near melee this fight to take some of the swipe damage. Keep moving with the tank in a circuit around the edge of the area. Stay out of the cursed earth (reddish purple squiggles).

Il’gynoth targeting macro:
If you get marked, kite nightmare ichors (look like blood globules) right up to the eye before killing them.
Get out of the heart chamber before reconstruction completes or you'll die.

/tar Eye of Il’gynoth
/tar Heart of Il’gynoth
/tar Tainted Bloodpetal
/tar Nightmare Ichor
/tar Nightmare Horror
/tar Deathglare Tentacle
/tar Dominator Tentacle
/tar Corruptor Tentacle
/tar Flail of Il’gynoth Tentacle
/tar Bo’lan

Dragons of Nightmare targeting macro:
Note I don't target any of the dragons in this macro. That's because each gives a unique debuff that stacks. One has to manage the debuffs and make sure to switch the dragon one is attacking once that particular dragon's debuff gets around 25. Any higher before you switch and you'll likely die before it drops off. Generally the tanks swap dragons for the same reason. So if you stay near one of the two tanks, when they switch so will you and you won't have to think about it much. Never have more than two debuffs on yourself and preferrably only one. Ideally you should be beating on one dragon, building it's debuff up from zero while another dragon's debuff is fading. Targeting any particular dragon will have to be done manually. Beware the dragon's tail swipe. Stand to their side.

/tar Swarming Dread
/tar Dread Horror
/tar Corrupted Gatewarden
/tar Defiled Keeper
/tar Defiled Druid Spirit
/tar Spirit Shade
/tar Shade of Taerar
/tar Essence of Corruption

Xavius targeting macro:
Nobody excepting tanks move much in this fight. Stand roughly in the middle and rotate in place to be sure to target the proper mobs. Don't walk into the shadows on the side or a massive AOE will kill you quickly.

/tar Xavius
/tar Nightmare Tentacle
/tar Dread Abomination
/tar Dark Devourer
/tar Shadow Pounder
/tar Creature in the Shadows
/tar Nightmare Amalgamation
/tar Lurking Terror
/tar Corruption Horror
/tar Inconceivable Horror
/tar Creature of Madness

< edited 12/17 to add target marking, the last line in each macro >

Last edited by Kirk on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:07 pm.

DEyncourt posted:
Kinda undecided on to put points into one of the other weapons or just work on the marksman bow.
I'll put enough points into the Beastmastery gun to get all the major abilities. Soloing to level, doing the main quest chain in each zone to unlock the dailies, and dailies being important this expansion. It'll get me through early raiding too. Then its the marksmanship bow for raiding and that goes all the way.

Four 110s and no legendaries yet. I'm starting to feel slighted.
macnuke Afar
Gratz, not having anything to compare it against, I'd be thrilled. ;)
AND my network problems have reappeared.

This morning I wasn't getting ANYTHING from my cable modem. Called AT&T and the tech there did a full reset of that modem such that all of the info on the side of the box is now irrelevant.

BUT now I've been running speed tests and getting between 0.6-3.2 Mb/sec down, 0.0-1.2 Mb/sec up, AND during those tests the numbers fluctuate wildly between those extremes. Completely unlike the solid 15+Mb/sec down I was getting up to last night.

<sigh>
And it looks like that full reset of my cable modem caused it to lose its 11n network settings because I'm not seeing that at all, only the 11g network. Being only an 11g network would explain why I was getting such a wasteful connection but it is far from the 12 Mb/sec down that I'm paying for.

<sigh> Getting another tech out to visit tomorrow morning.
After fussing with my cable box for a while and checking to see if there weren't any problems with my wiring, the AT&T tech decided to replace my cable box.

In preparation for this I went out and picked up a new Apple Express to replace my main though old one which was able to do only about 2 Mb/sec down max.

Right now my download speeds have been in the 6-15 Mb/sec down, 1.5 Mb/sec up AND those numbers are fairly consistent (meaning that they do NOT even on occasion dip down to 0 at times).

Well, we'll see how long THIS lasts.

-----

On the other hand, you know that keyboard problem I was having that I had fixed with this keyboard? It had been running fine even late into last night, but when I got up this morning I found that it wasn't connecting to my MBP. Even removing it from my Bluetooth settings was problematic in that I haven't re-established a connection again. By all appearances it looks like it is running only for a fraction of a second whenever a key is pressed AND then again when I lift my finger off the key. I checked the batteries that came with the keyboard and their charge is still good, but just in case I tried another set of batteries with no change in behavior.

I sent a message to their tech support but considering that I got no reply from my first message I probably shall have to return it to Fry's considering that my purchase is less than 5 days old.
I shopped a bit at Fry's and came to the conclusion that there were few options there for me. Finally asked at one of the desks about a Mac-compatible keyboard and was directed to another section which had a small selection of such. I considered my options there and figured just to cash in my receipt and go to the local Apple Store and pick up an Apple Magic Keyboard.

It has a rather annoying design feature. It is a Bluetooth keyboard but it has a sealed battery inside which requires charging via a USB-to-Lightning cable. That Lightning port on the keyboard is located at the center of the "back" of the keyboard so that while charging it rather annoyingly sticks into my MBP's screen. On the other hand I can unplug it when it is fully charged so I won't have that annoyance. Alternatively they could have put the port into either side of the keyboard so it could remain being charged. The keyboard body also fits on top of the space of my MBP's keyboard (which is slightly recessed in the top case) so that none of the keys of the MBP are being pressed.

Oddly the Esc key in the upper right is somewhat larger than that key on my MBP's keyboard which has the effect of pushing all of the function keys slightly to the right so that they are offset by about half-a-key button compared to the equivalent number keys. Not a great difference for which I have already easily compensated, but Apple could have made the Esc key the same size as the function keys and had only the much lesser offset that the MBP has.

And the Magic Keyboard does recognize the command on the Keyboard System Preference to recognize the function keys as function keys instead of the special MBP/iOS commands like changing the brightness of the lit keyboard, so no tape is involved.

-----

So far no noticable slowdowns while playing WoW (yet).
macnuke Afar
rule of gaming....

use wired.
batteries die and so do you. ( and possibly your raid) :lol:
I left the keyboard on "over night" (since it does have an on/off switch) and with it not connected to power. The Keyboard System Preference reported that its remaining power is at 100%. Of course that is basically with no activity, but I'll let the keyboard run today without being connected and check the battery loss with closer to continual activity. If it runs down too much I can run the keyboard with the power cable connected though considering the location of the Lightning port I'll have to see if I can find one with an elbow in that port.

OK, now that I have--for now--a reliable Internet connection and a keyboard that works, those have made a YUGE difference in gameplay. While doing random 5man heroics on my hunter I had been running between 200-350 K DPS during my problems, but last night after getting some practice in LFRs and other 5mans and basically relearning what my hunter can do--basically my shot routine was WAY off--I hit a top of 480 K in the last 5man. Perhaps the mechanics of that particular 5man favored marksman hunters since my numbers do vary depending on the dungeon or raid and the composition of other members, but it looks promising.

Maybe now I can improve my mage's numbers who has been about 120 K DPS but then her item level is just 837. My hunter's item level is 873.
Ah, you're hunter has mine beat. You must be doing heroic or mythic raids regularly.
Kirk posted:
Ah, you're hunter has mine beat. You must be doing heroic or mythic raids regularly.

<sigh> HAD been.

Last week I got "disinvited" to what is the guild's ALT run to a heroic Emerald Nightmare (which THIS week had added a normal Trial of Valor raid).

There is a regular group doing mythic Emerald Nightmare AND heroic Trial of Valor, but my hunter's numbers had never been good enough for me to even consider asking to get into those.

Of course I could have tried to explain my various woes of my cable box running unreliably and the failing keyboard on my MBP (my understanding of both had been a gradual process), but this was RIGHT before the raid so I dropped out as I was asked to.

AND NOW my guild rep is so damaged that when I ask to join anyone's mythic dungeon runs (with or without keystones) I simply get no replies. Seriously considering dropping from guild.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
I'll have to see if I can find one with an elbow in that port.
[snip]

Here is one which is close to ideal (which would have had an even shorter plug).

On the other hand: the Keyboard System Preference is reporting that my Bluetooth keyboard is STILL at 100% despite being off of power for around 12 hours and being used nearly continuously for the past 5 or so hours. Rather than buying another cable I think I will be satisfied with just plugging it for recharging before going to bed then unplugging it during use.
Quote:
Maybe now I can improve my mage's numbers who has been about 120 K DPS but then her item level is just 837. My hunter's item level is 873.

A BIT better. I'm consistently getting between 140-150 K DPS in heroic 5mans, so around a 10% improvement.
Try removing, wait about 30 seconds, and replacing the keyboard's batteries. It sounds like the battery indicator might be confused.

If that fails to fix the problem, replace those batteries.

If that fails to fix the problem, does this keyboard also have a watch battery (sometimes included to remember settings during main battery swaps)? If so, replace that battery.

If that fails to fix the problem, its time for a new keyboard or keyboard dongle ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20