Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
BUUUT...there is something odd: while all the recipes are just the 1-starred versions they ALL make just 815 item level pieces. While this will be useful when I eventually level up my monk and rogue to level 110, for my hunter all of these pieces are rather useless as his collective item level is now 829, having only a couple of days ago replaced his last under-800 item--a trinket. MAYBE the higher starred versions will be higher item levels? That would NOT match the pattern established by the lower-level LWing recipes (those had the same item level; the higher starred versions required fewer mats).

Higher starred stuff just costs less mats to make; the items are the same. There are items that upgrade crafted gear's iLVL though; and you can also destroy it using the forge in Dalaran once you've done that quest.
This is Blizz nerfing crafting professions to oblivion. Even with the last expansion they were pretty useless for the toon. They seem to only really help the alts you're leveling up.

Even now the initial recipes for armor pieces are less than useful. The 715 armor and weapon pieces go to my enchanter to DE. The infrequent 725 pieces still sell for decent gold.

Though alchemy was the winner last expansion for gold making. I'm still making decent gold selling sorcerous earth X 10 for tailors to use making 30 slot bags. My tailors make a bit less gold selling the 30 slot bags. I await the collective decision on the winner of this expansion.
Ran my first Emerald Dream raid last night--note: NOT LFR but a normal raid.

We got all the way through and had an unsuccessful attempt at Heroic Nythendra, the first Emerald Dream Nightmare boss. I picked up an 860 set of gloves and an 855 necklace. The group I was in MIGHT be picking it up again this coming Friday evening. I THINK I ran it competently enough that I should get a re-invite to that. I had thought I was doing OK as a DPS since I was running around 10-12th place in overall DPS throughout the raid, but then I looked closer at that group and saw that there were only 12 or so (the number varied a bit) tanks and DPS so I was at the bottom. Still, a decent 180-200K/sec but only half that of the top DPS.

Had I known that I would be in that raid then I would not have spent any of my Seals of Broken Fate during LFRs. I did have 2 remaining but only got additional gold from those.

I was told to download Discord, a new game-comm application for Windows and Mac OS (so a replacement for Ventrilo or Mumble or TeamSpeak), but for the life of me I STILL have no idea of how to set it up. It is completely unobvious on what to do to add a new server.

EDIT: oops--wrong name for the current raid.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:49 pm.

OK, got my first toon to 110. Time for LFR.

In other news, I saw somebody walking around with sausages for a hat. WTF?
Kirk posted:
OK, got my first toon to 110. Time for LFR.

In other news, I saw somebody walking around with sausages for a hat. WTF?

It was a "prize" one could buy with enough tokens at Brewfest.
okay, not something I'd spend the time to get .. . . . .
I've started to level-up my frost mage. She is now 103rd.

Still not liking how the primary professions are working. My mage is an enchanter/tailor and so has no opportunities to pick up mats except as drops during fights. I've found that for the lower level Legion tailoring gear that there is a new mat: Runic Catgut. It can be looted from MOST feline NPCs and apparently from SOME other animal NPCs such as birds and mountain goats. She was going around the southern part of Val'sharah and was able to get 10 Runic Catgut in about 15 panther kills. I suppose that at some future point there will be some drop that will allow her as a tailor to pick up Runic Catgut more often and perhaps more than one per kill. But as slow going as my hunter's leatherworking was, I'm seeing that both enchanting and tailoring will be MUCH slower especially considering how some of the higher starred recipes look to be only available as rep items from the various factions (that was partly true for leatherworking but only for the 3-starred versions of the higher level of leather and mail gear).

I've sent her into several dungeons. So far no one has kicked her out despite being lowest in DPS aside from the healer MOST of the time.
macnuke Afar
get rep with the right factions.. even while leveling... my Alchy has the gatherer enchant on shoulders... i get bags off random mobs and they have herds in them. i have gathered quite a few
Here's my problem: my hunter is a skinner/leatherworker and as a result I ALWAYS loot bodies and skin 'em if possible. It is such that this habit extends to all of my toons and I'm always a little disappointed to leave unskinned bodies in the wake of those other toons.

I know that my hunter has looted hundreds of various felines not to mention many other animals around the Broken Isles and never once got Runic Catgut. On the other hand, my mage has picked up a few dozen Unbroken Teeth/Claws which are like Runic Catgut in that they are "secondary" mats for making armor (as opposed to the primaries of Stormhide Leather or Stormscale or Shal'dorei Silk). I think that my hunter should have gotten at least a few Runic Catgut along the way.
I've skinned runic catgut, though agree its pretty rare. Certainly no where near enough to support leveling tailoring. I was surprised the first time I saw it drop. My tailors just buy it.
Conner Of Gallifrey
You can just find it on cat mobs. I got most of it that way, but you can also buy it from the tailoring vendor in Dalaran… it's very cheap (2 silver a pop?).
OK, I'm changing my mage from frost to fire. On my hunter I've seen mostly fire mages and a few arcane mages but NO frost mages while running random 5man heroic dungeons. Now I'll just have to get her the fire mage legendary weapon <sigh>. My mage does have a quest to get a second legendary weapon but I'm not sure if it is for fire or arcane.

Oh, have the requirements for getting and even using another legendary weapon changed? On my hunter I was able to send him on the quest chains to get the beastmaster and survival weapons WITHOUT having to change to those specs, but last week when I got that quest on my mage she was switched to arcane (I think) after getting a warning saying that picking up that quest would do so.

Also on my hunter I was able to switch between the legendary weapons without having to change specs soon after I had gotten all three (picking up the latter two on the same day during the first or second week after Legion became active) BUT recently I have been picking up those artifacts which can be added to those legendary weapons. I got those legendaries out of my bank and flew to Trueshot Lodge to use that stone that allows alterations to the legendaries, but I found that I could not arm myself with the alternate legendaries without changing from marksman spec (which would be bothersome since presumably my buttons would be blanked out to accomodate that switch).

-----

Any recommendations for rogues? Mine was combat but that has been replaced by the "new" outlaw spec which I'm reading is pretty much the same aside from the name. It is such that I haven't played my rogue to any great degree since getting him and most of my other toons to 100th level during Draenor and not at all since the pre-release version of Legion dropped (still hasn't done the qualifying quests to get him to Broken Isles too). Since I'll have to relearn everything roguish anyway it's as good a time as any to switch specs if anyone has any recommendations.
Beware, Blizz plans to relevel DPS output in a couple weeks. You might want to wait until that's done.
Kirk posted:
Beware, Blizz plans to relevel DPS output in a couple weeks. You might want to wait until that's done.

Meh, it isn't as if Blizz hasn't done such revamping of the various specs before. RIGHT NOW frost is practically unplayable which is reflected by how many frost mages I've seen in random 5mans--which is practically none EXCEPT for my own.

-----

It looks like Blizz has tweaked Barrage again last night. I was on my hunter in heroic Neltharion's Lair when I fired Barrage near the final boss in there "knowing" that before I could do that without hitting that boss. Well, that was wrong: we had both groups of trash NPCs that are just in front of that boss still up when he became active. I KNOW that I was in an identical situation last night where we were able to take down those 2 groups of NPCs before turning our attention to that final boss.
We got him eventually and I apologized at the end but not before two guys left with one leaving a "huntard" comment. :shrug:
I took my formerly frost mage on her second legendary weapon quest and it turned out to be for the fire legendary weaponS: a set of an one-handed blade and a secondary item. I could send her on the quest chain for the arcane legendary weapon but I declined that quest (for now).

I should note that there were several NPCs asking to examine her new weapon while getting through Dalaran AND out in the wilds of Broken Isles. There was one northeast of the Illidari Stand flypoint in Azsuna which was marked by a star on the minimap BUT he turned out to be a friendly NPC who only wanted to examine the blade AND who gave me an artifact which boosted its score by 100 points. Probably after that completion I won't get any more requests.

I spent about an hour or so trying to figure out some sort of spell rotation AND being largely unsuccessful at that, BUT EVEN SO her Recount against various NPCs (mostly felines in Azsuna to pick up Runic Catgut) was such that she was doing 35-45 K / sec DPS as opposed to her BEST with frost in 5man dungeons of between 30-40 K with a spell "rotation" that was entirely dependent upon what was available: that is something of a measure of how bad frost spec has gotten. So still a lousy DPS number but not awful for a fire spec which I'm still trying to figure out AND that was without a tank in front of her taking aggro and a healer fixing party damage.
Have you looked at Icy Veins? They give rotation suggestions too.

I don't play my mage much, but I thought Frost was primarily for soloing. Where you want the elemental as a tank.
Kirk posted:
Have you looked at Icy Veins? They give rotation suggestions too.

I don't play my mage much, but I thought Frost was primarily for soloing. Where you want the elemental as a tank.

Yeah, I do check Icy-Veins, but it can only provide rather limited suggestions which really are next to useless when trying to develop one's particular rotation, especially now where timing has become so variable depending upon which artifact traits and relics have been added to weapons (though, admittedly, this aspect is not TOO much of a problem yet for my mage who has just hit 106th level).

Really, you tried to use your frost mage's water elemental as a tank? I have NEVER thought of that elemental as a tank--especially when compared to hunter's pets--and only as some additional DPS. The elemental is only mildly aggressive and doesn't take very much damage and there isn't any effective way for a frost mage to "heal" an elemental other than to summon a new one (during which a frost mage cannot cast any spells, so it always seemed to me to be a wash in terms of overall enemy damage to bother trying that).
When soloing with my level 64 frost mage the water elemental works just fine. Bandages ftw. Then again I never count on him for more than two mobs at a time.

I agree they don't work as well as a hunter's pet or warlock's blueberry. But I do like not having the mobs beating on my face for about the first half the fight. ;)

/cleartarget
/startattack
/petattack

works pretty well as an opening macro. Once he's engaged, the casting starts
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
I should note that there were several NPCs asking to examine her new weapon while getting through Dalaran AND out in the wilds of Broken Isles. There was one northeast of the Illidari Stand flypoint in Azsuna which was marked by a star on the minimap BUT he turned out to be a friendly NPC who only wanted to examine the blade AND who gave me an artifact which boosted its score by 100 points. Probably after that completion I won't get any more requests.
[snip]

After that getting that request in Azsuna, I had my mage return back to Dalaran and she did get another request from an NPC there to let him see the blade and got rewarded with a 50-point bonus (hmm...I don't recall this happening when she got the 2-handed frost legendary in the first place, nor did this happen when my hunter picked up BOTH legendaries for beastmastery and survival but then I had put both of those away in his bank very quickly and was still using his legendary marksman bow all during those quest chains). Perhaps this is a feature to partially help along any toon that does switch legendaries and maybe there will be other NPCs in other areas of Broken Isles who will make similar requests (at least until my mage's fire weapons "catch up" to some degree with the bonuses that her frost staff had).

I should note that unlike that first bonus from the NPC in Azsuna which was an item that my mage had to click on to add its bonus to her legendary fire weapons, there was no item from that NPC in Dalaran but the bonus was directly added to THAT legendary. My guess is that SOME people had figured out this bonus item system early on and done the lending of a "new" legendary weapon to those NPCs but then switched back to their usual legendary weapon before applying that bonus item (which, of course, is prevented by the automatic application of the bonus directly upon the held legendary weapon).

-----

Hmm. My mage is my secondary "main" and I've always run her in and got her equipped to at least LFG raid level if not actual raid level gear (much less so my other toons who I view as support staff to supply items from those professions that neither my hunter [skinner/LWer] or mage [tailor/enchanter] have). Kirk, I suspect that you will find your frost mage to be more similar to mine if and when he gets to higher levels, probably starting with Lich King/in Northrend so around level 68 and beyond.

On the other hand: considering the slow progress that my HUNTER has had just trying to complete faction reputation and even basic quests around Broken Isles, it is going to be quite a while--MANY months into 2017?--before I start leveling up my warlock [herbalist/alchemist] who will be next (or maybe not if my guild starts regular raiding and fellow guildies begin to offer items like flasks and gems and such).

Oh, while my mage is running around in the mage guild zone, I almost never see any toons accompanied by water elementals (and thus frost) and only see other toons with fireballs floating around them (consequence of one of the passive fire spells). MAYBE there are some arcane mages but they are less obvious.
Right now dowloading the 2.5 GB patch in preparation for the 7.1 release on Oct. 25th.

I guess I can wait until I'm finished doing my daily duties on my hunter and testing spell sequences for my mage, but I'll note that this is the first time I've gotten the option to pre-download ANY patch. EVERY other time I've had to wait until the patch was available to be played.
macnuke Afar
cutbacks in servers.... easier to let you piecemeal it whenever you log in.
mine is set to not Dl any updates or patches while game is launched... so i just launch the B.net when i go to bed when i know some downloading is needed
really? The prepatch downloads have worked for me for at least a year
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
[snip]

After that getting that request in Azsuna, I had my mage return back to Dalaran and she did get another request from an NPC there to let him see the blade and got rewarded with a 50-point bonus (hmm...I don't recall this happening when she got the 2-handed frost legendary in the first place, nor did this happen when my hunter picked up BOTH legendaries for beastmastery and survival but then I had put both of those away in his bank very quickly and was still using his legendary marksman bow all during those quest chains). Perhaps this is a feature to partially help along any toon that does switch legendaries and maybe there will be other NPCs in other areas of Broken Isles who will make similar requests (at least until my mage's fire weapons "catch up" to some degree with the bonuses that her frost staff had).

It is entirely unique to that weapon.
Conner posted:
DEyncourt posted:
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
[snip]

Really?

You know this because you have switched legendaries and specs on toons other than a fire mage and NOT seen similar NPC requests? Or had this happen to your fire mage from the start?

Personally I have seen only 7 legendaries on 4 different toons: my markman hunter who has stayed marksman all the way through (but has the other 2 legendary weapons for hunters sitting in his bank), my formerly frost mage now switched to fire; my windwalker monk who I have taken through the opening legendary weapon chain but haven't advanced any further; and my destro warlock who is pretty much the same as monk. Being more a DPS player than a tank or a healer, I would be disinclined to switch specs for my monk or my warlock so I'm not likely to see such queries from NPC assuming that my suspicion of this being a catch-up mechanism is correct.

I am giving SOME consideration to change my mage again to arcane. There is something about the fire spec that I am NOT getting at all such that I haven't taken my mage through any random 5mans until I can work out some of those kinks.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Conner posted:
DEyncourt posted:
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
[snip]

Really?

You know this because you have switched legendaries and specs on toons other than a fire mage and NOT seen similar NPC requests? Or had this happen to your fire mage from the start?

Personally I have seen only 7 legendaries on 4 different toons: my markman hunter who has stayed marksman all the way through (but has the other 2 legendary weapons for hunters sitting in his bank), my formerly frost mage now switched to fire; my windwalker monk who I have taken through the opening legendary weapon chain but haven't advanced any further; and my destro warlock who is pretty much the same as monk. Being more a DPS player than a tank or a healer, I would be disinclined to switch specs for my monk or my warlock so I'm not likely to see such queries from NPC assuming that my suspicion of this being a catch-up mechanism is correct.

I am giving SOME consideration to change my mage again to arcane. There is something about the fire spec that I am NOT getting at all such that I haven't taken my mage through any random 5mans until I can work out some of those kinks.

Wowhead and it's userbase has found that out. Sorry if it's a spoiler. ;)
I'm a little bored with the current content and need the occasional break. I'm close to having all armor and weapons for transmog up to level 60. I'm running BRD and Molten Core once a week with my miners for the Dark Iron ore and gear for transmog. I need around 100 bars (800 ore) to make all the blacksmithing and engineering patterns for transmog. I estimate about two more weeks of this to get all the ore I need. After that, it'll be just running dungeons hoping for the rare drop with the right type of armor wearer.

I found a way to avoid that buy back period for some purchased armor pieces. Equip the item and transmog it. That makes the item no longer returnable.

Also note BRD drops pumpkin bags (16 slot soulbound bags) for the duration of Halloween festival. I typically get one bag per run. If you're too poor to buy netherweave bags (which seems rather unlikely) or just want one for the novelty this might be worth a BRD run.

Last edited by Kirk on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:28 pm.

Conner Of Gallifrey
Lucky for you 7.1 drops today with new content. :)
macnuke Afar
Conner posted:
Lucky for you 7.1 drops today with new content. :)

I am sad for my warlock :(
Why? My affliction warlock is only 102 but generally he's top or second on the damage chart for LFG runs. Seed of destruction followed by tab & curse, tab & curse, repeat. ;)
My hunter completed a second normal Emerald Nightmare raid last night. <sigh> He was dead last in DPS and was about 50K below the next-up DPS though ahead of the tanks. I guess I'll have to run more ANY mythic dungeons since that seems to be the only way he can get any improvements, but my guild has been practically inactive since that first Emerald Nightmare run a few weeks ago. At least this will appear to be a regular weekly run being a mostly alt run for the guild who ran it.

My hunter did pick up one item level point by getting the lucky roll for an 860 blood artifact item which improved his legendary bow to 878 (the previous blood artifact was 840).

Did Blizz change this? I was hesistant to try this while still in the raid (and the drop from our second-to-last boss), but after I had picked up an iron artifact from a world daily which could be placed into my hunter's other legendaries I returned to Dalaran to pick up those weapons from his bank. Before I had thought that adding or replacing an artifact in a legendary required being at the "improvement" stone in the guild hall (Trueshot Lodge for hunters), but I found that I could add/replace artifacts while standing inside the bank. I'm pretty sure that the last time I tried to do such a replacement about a week ago required a trip to Trueshot Lodge.

----

Still working out fire spell rotation on my mage <sigh>. Might try frost again since I've seen a few running around the mage guild hall plus had a couple in my hunter's 5man heroics.
Huh. Just did some chores on my mage just now and there were at least a dozen frost mages in the mage guild hall.
DEnycourt - So organize the mythic runs yourself? Pester your guild mates in guild chat and post stuff to the guild calendar. He who needs the gear gets to set up the runs. Further you can set them up at times convenient for yourself ;)

Is it time to switch back to frost then?

My lone 110, a hunter, is slowly working on research to get up to about level 9 while doing world dailies for the resources. At 2.5 days per research that's still a ways off. I've friends that recommended I wait for that level to do Suramar quests (or at least beyond the bare minimum to get to friendly so one can do the world quests). Suramar quests typically give a lot of artifacts. The bonus artifacts from research level 9 or higher is supposed to be enough to finish filling out my weapon. I might wait a bit longer so I can get a good boost on a second legendary weapon too.
It's a rare HOUR when there are more than 4 guildies online at the same time, much less a group that could collectively go into dungeon.

Rather hesitant to use Looking-For-Groups for mythic 5mans. I've tried a few times before for 5mans and was awfully disappointed each and every time.
If you list runs in guild calendar, I think you'll get more people than you expect. A week or more advance notice helps event attendance a lot. If you get a tremendous turn out then you just assign somebody the job of running the second or even third groups through their mythic dungeon.

You could also be my RealID buddy. My alliance hunter can go and promises not to barrage at bad moments. ;)
Wait about a week and I'll have my alliance DH tank at 110 and partly geared up too. If you need Hordies, my DK tank still has a ways to 110.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I've found the LFR tool very useful for Mythics - all but the first was a good group too (probably 8 runs total).
Conner posted:
I've found the LFR tool very useful for Mythics - all but the first was a good group too (probably 8 runs total).

Hmm. Maybe I'll give it a try again.

On the other hand: <sigh> most likely OTHER players will be disappointed with my hunter. In a few NORMAL 5mans he has been last in DPS--even behind the tank--by margins of doing maybe less than 75% of the damage that the THIRD highest DPS did.

-----

Switched my mage back to frost. It seems like her DPS has improved a LITTLE, but that may just be an effect of having SOME better gear. I'll try running her through some 5mans.
If you're having trouble with DPS as a hunter, perhaps a few macros will help keep the rotation going with minimal down time. Set the tank as your focus when a dungeon run starts and use a few macros. I use this method and macros with slight modification for all my DPS classes. My affliction warlock macros are the only ones significantly different.

Run LFG dungeons with a tanking pet and have thunderstomp on. Thunderstomp will help hold the mobs to the pet and by extension the tank when using the assist macro. The ability to save the healer if necessary (typically at least once a run) generally outweighs the slightly enhanced DPS from a ferocity pet. Even after all these years I still have a love / hate relationship with charge. For tightly packed dungeons, like Wrath of Azshara, I have charge off, see 'attack no growl' discussion.

Assist Macro - So you're never attacking the wrong target. Cleartarget resets targeting to none, which can sometimes make a big difference.
/cleartarget
/assist[@focus]
/petattack
/pet autocastgrowl off

Attack No Growl Macro - Same purpose as above but this is for tanks that don't always target mobs, like monks. The startattack line targets the first mob directly in about a 130 degree cone in front of you, so be sure your hunter is pointing in the right direction before hitting this button. Use the assist macro if you see your tank ever does actually target a mob. Turn on the 'show target of target' function in your settings so this is visible to you.
Also beware if you inadvertently use this just as the last mob in a pack of trash dies, its entirely possible to target the next pack of trash beyond where you're standing. Typically your hunter will be too far away to shoot the trash and pull it. However your pet will still charge over there, so be quick to hit the pet's passive button and bring him back. This is also a good reason to turn off charge.
/cleartarget
/startattack
/petattack
/pet autocastgrowl off

Soloing Macro - Also known as 'save the healer' if the tank doesn't pick up every mob in a pack of trash. Generally the healer and ranged DPS stand toward the back. If you see a mob coming to the healer, hit this macro to have your pet pick up the mob. After about five seconds or so for the pet to firmly get aggro, use the assist macro to return to attacking the tank's target. Your pet will drag the errant mob(s) back to the tank. Be sure to heal your pet regularly during this time.
/cleartarget
/startattack
/petattack
/pet autocastthunderstomp on
/pet autocastgrowl on
<== marksman hunter, so no pet NORMALLY, though I do get a TEMPORARY one which lasts for 8 seconds by firing Black Arrow. Since it uses 40 focus each time it is used, whether or not Black Arrow is available depends on how much focus I have at that point in any fight, so it isn't as if there is an aggro puller for half of the time of a fight.

I did get kicked out a heroic Violet Hold this morning for using Black Arrow. Apparently that tank didn't see that I used Misdirect to shift what aggro I had to him (it was one of those groups where I was 4th in overall DPS though this time only by about 10% to number 3), but then the CD for Misdirect is longer (30 sec) than the CD for Black Arrow (15 sec).

MOST tanks have never objected to my hunter using Black Arrow at all or even mentioned it, even in raids.
I'm sorry but if you're going 'lone wolf' you're a glorified mage :p

Still, those macros will work fine for you. The pet parts just won't function.

And yeah, I hate tanks with their panties in a bunch not understanding how the hunter class works. I've also been kicked trying to explain when hunters will MD to the tank and hit multishot we are actually helping them. I've also had them whine when my pet thunderstomps right next to him.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20