Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
Conner Of Gallifrey
I got discoed a few times last night; started around 9 PM. Stopped playing then - got better by around 11 when I tried again.
Is the Battle.net website down for you guys? Because it has been for me all evening, as has Hearthstone.
Conner Of Gallifrey
MacAddict4Life posted:
Is the Battle.net website down for you guys? Because it has been for me all evening, as has Hearthstone.

Working fine here; not sure if you're connecting to the US one though.
I had nasty lag courtesy a DDoS attack on Tuesday. Blizz posted it was a DDoS attack in the message area of the launcher on Tuesday. Blizz apparently successfully shut down the guys blocking me as I've not had any problems since. However I have heard on non-Blizz news sites that the hackers are not giving up and switching attack computers. So perhaps you guys are now part of the targeted area and having difficulties. If Blizz doesn't fix it in 24 hours perhaps it's something more mundane.
For me right now battle.net and us.battle.net are down, as is hearthstone (US App Store download). However tw.battle.net is working.
No problem getting to us.battle.net for me.
And suddenly us.battle.net is working, but Hearthstone still is not.

Also having trouble with the authenticator app.
Conner Of Gallifrey
They may be limiting access to the US websites from non-US traffic as part of their attempt to stop the DDOS issues.
If the US WoW would adopt the Taiwan price system (expansions included in subscription for free) and billing option (about US$5 for 30 hours no expiration, in addition to 30 and 90 day options similar to the US pricing) I'd consider coming back for awhile. But Taiwan accounts and us accounts are kept separate, and the us pricing structure is too expensive for how little I'm likely to play.

Last edited by macaddict4life on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:44 pm.

Conner posted:
They may be limiting access to the US websites from non-US traffic as part of their attempt to stop the DDOS issues.

Except it's working fine now. I suspect it's a product of the DDoS attack.
Just now I did some stuff and it wasn't TOO bad. There were some hiccups in lag but the game was MOSTLY tolerable.

So far I've taken my hunter and mage and monk through the quest chains to get their legendary weapons (though it does seem to me that in terms of item level--being only 750--they won't be desired weapons for very long). I've taken my new demon hunter through the preliminaries and got her to Dalaran but not through the legendary weapons quest chain yet since I'm still learning how to play demon hunter (that type of toon being available to me only after I updated the game's code to Legion). I still have to send through my warlock--maybe later if the DDOS stays low.

The legendary chain for my marksman hunter was fairly straightforward. It took a bit of wrangling to get through it but not particularly hard.

For my frost mage that chain was a uncouth individual, but I've mentioned that since the pre-release drop I have been having problems maintaining her DPS at a comparable level. I'm beginning to wonder if I should change her from frost to another specialty.

For my windwalker monk the chain was almost pitifully easy AND short--I was able to finish it all from the quest to move Dalaran to holding the new blades in about an hour (though admittedly it took my hunter MUCH longer in part because I took a while exploring Dalaran).

It took me some time to figure out a name for my demon hunter. I've named each of my toon starting with a different letter (which means I only have to type in the initial when addressing mail) which was only a coincidence at the start. I found myself at "J" but then changed my mind to look for something starting with "Knight" just because. Unfortunately it seems like practically every version of Knight<whatever> was already taken. After unsuccessfully trying maybe 50 alternates I settled on Kiniggett. Yes, it did occur to me that some particularly sensitive types might object because the spelling is kinda-sorta close to THAT word, but I decided to take a chance. Perhaps I can successfully defend that name by citing that video link.

BTW: it appears that Battle.net armory is KINDA working again. I've looked at a couple of my toons but they still have their gear from right BEFORE Legion. Rats! Someone on another server has Kinigget (just one "t") and it appears to be the only one in the armory, so I probably could have gotten that spelling on Hyjal.
You level up your weapon, so yes, you'll keep it through end game content.
Kirk posted:

Ah, right. I forgot that panel so I guess there will be no need for anyone to pick up 740 weapons offered in the various Dalaran shops (well, unless you're like me and didn't send some of my 100s through the pre-release invasions. Oh well--that's what that gold is for :-).
I got my destro warlock through the quest chain. My problem with it was that it was simply too long: go here and do this, then go there and do that. Took over 2 hours to complete and felt MUCH longer.

On top of that, the storyline through it simply doesn't make sense. The warlocks "council" summon a major demon to the undercity of Dalaran and he just simply captures everyone and takes them to captivity. As a warlock I'm given a special spell that will work on a jailer demon to mind control it, but as soon as it lets me out it drops the mind control so we fight and I easily beat it.

At the end I take the staff (the legendary item for warlocks) that Gul'dan needs to create more and bigger portals from the demon worlds to Azeroth. Sorry, Gul'dan who captured a major hero of the Alliance and destroyed him utterly somehow lets this lowly warlock walk away with this key tool?

On top of that, the portal to the warlock's "zone" is stuck behind the PvP zone in the undercity of Dalaran. I'm not sure if there will be any particular reasons for returning to there, but I'll be wasted everytime I have to go because I WILL get flagged for PvP and must die once or twice before getting to that portal.

Oh well.

I guess I should figure out how to play my demon hunter in order to get her legendary weapons, but instead I think I shall concentrate on getting my main hunter to 110th.
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Ah, right. I forgot that panel so I guess there will be no need for anyone to pick up 740 weapons offered in the various Dalaran shops (well, unless you're like me and didn't send some of my 100s through the pre-release invasions. Oh well--that's what that gold is for :-).

Just for transmog options ;) I always check. At this point, I think I've either made or bought all the under level 40 stuff for all armor types.
macnuke Afar
why aren't you just the Fabulous
If that's an available title, I don't have it yet. ;)
user Stupid cockwomble
My character set in Oblivion was "Awesome".
macnuke Afar
Kirk posted:
If that's an available title, I don't have it yet. ;)

I had it the moment it was offered lol

but my favorite omg for the longest time is http://www.wowhead.com/item=9508/mechbuilders-overalls
On Saturday I worked on leveling my hunter. Took him from about halfway through level 100 to 9% beyond 102. Began in Highmountain where the Hunters' Lodge is located and covered a lot of that zone, but upon a return to Dalaran to dump off excess mats--over 1800 in Stonehide Leather and 450 in Stormscale (my hunter is a skinner/leatherworker)--I got the mission "By Royal Command" (I think that was the name) which summoned me to Stormheim (though I did get another quest directing me to Azuna). Hmm...I hadn't noticed that somewhere I picked up a quest from Khadgar directing me to Suramar too.

Oh, I took that quest to Suramar thinking that it might land me near a flypoint. It doesn't, so adventuring in Suramar for a while.

Still have 4 pieces of gear from pre-launch though that includes the legendary ring among those. The other 3 parts likely are just a matter of drops from quest. Per usual I've sent any binds-when-equipped items to my mage who is also my enchanter/tailor for disenchanting.
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
Oh, I took that quest to Suramar thinking that it might land me near a flypoint. It doesn't, so adventuring in Suramar for a while.
[snip]

Or perhaps not. Apparently that Suramar quest is just for doing an investigation for Khadgar which is easily done.

Just by the landing point there is a glowing thing--apparently some sort of ghostly mast. Don't touch that (yet) because it will summon some sets of 110s (remember: I'm a 102). But note that there are a couple of ballistas which you can mount to the side of that thing. Using one of the ballista a lower level can fight those groups of 110s that appear including the final special beastie which drops some weapon bonus items. While they can be directed at a couple of the 110s standing beyond the group that appears, those guys have an ability to rush the ballista, putting them at too close range to be fired upon by the ballista so you have to fight them yourself once the ballista is too damaged. Fortunately I had another player who got on the other ballista and we were able to kill those 110 NPCs at the other guy's ballista.

I had been thinking that I would explore a bit of Suramar but there are a number of 110s on the landward side of the landing point, enough to form a wall so that while I MIGHT have snuck past them using hunter invisibility (though I suspect that won't work) OR had ridden on the sea around them, I took Khadgar's "advice" and returned to Dalaran instead.
Yeah, I killed that giant with the ballistas at 102. I didn't even need to use the second one. Use the second ballista ability to push them back when they rush the ballista

My mistake was trying to reach that nearest Stormheim flight point afterward. After four deaths to the 110s around Suriname I got there. Nice thing though is there's a quest there that'll give you a grappling hook to scale the cliffs.

Fishing is very very easy this expansion. I made 800 (was at 700) after maybe 40 minutes of fishing. If you fish in Vash'whatever (maybe other zones too, I never got a chance to check before hitting 800) you'll occasionally fish up a bait fish that'll increase the chance of special fish being attracted. Many of those fish will boost your fishing skill +5 if you throw them back into the water. Don't bother doing that until the bait fish timer (only 2 minutes) wears off. They stack. My barracuda sold for 9G each this weekend. Worth the effort to find the pools. ;)
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
On top of that, the portal to the warlock's "zone" is stuck behind the PvP zone in the undercity of Dalaran. I'm not sure if there will be any particular reasons for returning to there, but I'll be wasted everytime I have to go because I WILL get flagged for PvP and must die once or twice before getting to that portal.
[snip]

Now that I've played my hunter more I know that my warlock MUST get to that portal to get to the warlocks' zone. <sigh>
DEyncourt posted:
[snip]
Apparently that Suramar quest is just for doing an investigation for Khadgar which is easily done.
[snip]

Oh, I should have added: that particular quest for me was part of a quest chain which eventually led me to getting a SECOND legendary weapon, the one for beastmaster hunters (my main is marksman). Likely as a measure to conserve efforts on Blizzard's part that same quest is also used as the opening quest towards other legendary weapons for other classes.

My hunter has the survival hunter legendary weapon too. I have to wonder: considering the fact that the various treasures and special "starred" (on your minimap) beasties will only drop some legendary weapon items once (I know that for specials because I took a while standing there looking through my loot and had that special respawn. Oh well, it was more leather to skin. Not only do they not drop anything special for a second kill, but the star on your minimap will disappear), let's say when we get to the endgame part of Legion and there is a strong recommendation for hunters to be, say, beastmaster: exactly what will happen when I switch from the marksman legendary bow to the beastmaster legendary gun? Both of those legendary weapons I have in my bank are still 750s while my legendary marksman bow is 757 (plus all of those other improvements).

Just hit 106th on my hunter last night. I've swapped out all Draenor/pre-release Legion gear aside from the legendary ring (mine is 771 so short of the 795 that was possible, though considering that the top level of gear for Legion is predicted to be 850 even that ring will get replaced), so that gear replacement took a while. I think in Draenor I did a general replacement of all Pandaran gear (aside from the legendary cloak) by level 92. Since I hardly did any raiding beyond LFR in Draenor I will just sell all of that gear aside from the legendary ring.

What I will do is use about half of the now 2000 pieces of Stormhide Leather my hunter has skinned to make leather gear with random secondary stats. While one of each of the three pieces my hunter can make now will go to my monk and my rogue* the rest will be sent to my mage who is my (dis)enchanter to make enchantment mats like I did during previous expansions.

BTW: the Stormscale that my skinner hunter picked up is for mail pieces. So far my hunter only has the recipe for making a helmet, but that was replaced by another helm from a quest drop. I know that it looks like that eventually my leatherworking hunter eventually will learn more recipes which will either improve the level of the helmet he HAD or make newer ones of a higher level, but even if it were the former the secondary stats on that helm he made were indifferent since it did not have mastery--the main secondary stat for marksman hunters--and the new helm was a significant improvement over his one Draenor raiding piece.

* Any recommendations for rogue specialization? I barely played him during Draenor and almost not at all during pre-release, and with pre-release his former Combat specialty was replaced by Outlaw so it looks like I will have to relearn his class anyway.
Last night I also put my hunter (while still 105th) into a queue for a random 5man.

Apparently he got the updated version of the Violet Hold (I ALWAYS transform that in my mind to "Violence Hold"), but as soon as he joined I got a tremendous lag: I saw 12 K ms, so a 12-second delay.

I typed in an apology, waited until I saw it appear in my chat window, and dropped out. I had to reboot my computer because after that EVERYTHING WoW-related failed (including my chatting with a friend via Mumble). Everything went back to "normal" after that, so maybe the dungeon server was being attacked?
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Last night I also put my hunter (while still 105th) into a queue for a random 5man.

Apparently he got the updated version of the Violet Hold (I ALWAYS transform that in my mind to "Violence Hold"), but as soon as he joined I got a tremendous lag: I saw 12 K ms, so a 12-second delay.

I typed in an apology, waited until I saw it appear in my chat window, and dropped out. I had to reboot my computer because after that EVERYTHING WoW-related failed (including my chatting with a friend via Mumble). Everything went back to "normal" after that, so maybe the dungeon server was being attacked?

Instances are on a different server than the rest of the realm.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I hit 110 last night, and now my quest log is full - so much to do!

Y'Sera. *cries*
First be sure to log in to every level 100 toon you have. You need to do this so the experience bar is recreated. Then park the toon in a major city or inn so you can get rest bonus building up.

Yeah, what Conner said about dungeons. Those are separate servers. As I understand it, Blizz tries to pick dungeon server roughly close to all the people in a party for best ping. Though as you experienced it doesn't always go as planned.

I've got a couple toons in the mid 100s now. I'm working to get my alts through the starting quests for their legendary weapon. So I've got a bunch of 101s. I am not starting the quest for a second legendary until the first is mostly done leveling up.

I just started playing my demon hunter and find I like her a lot. Tanking is a breeze. Plenty of aoe type attacks to hold aggro. The self heal even keeps her alive to finish the fight when the healer dies and the boss isn't quite dead.

I've decided I don't like how they parcel out crafting recipes. Gathering professions seem to get their recipes from drops upon performing their gathering. Crafters get quests for recipes from the trainer mostly. Though some recipes seem to be random drops in dungeons or from world questing. I'm going to have to use WoWHead to be sure I get them all.

Also crafted gear, unless its the rare ones boosted a bit, already doesn't sell for much gold. I'm sending all but the boosted gear to my enchanter to DE. Enchanting mats sell well right now.

There's an incredible number of caves this expansion. Several have unique interiors. That's quite refreshing considering each expansion seems to have two or three cave interiors as standard format.

I feel like "where's Waldo" finding the treasure boxes scattered around the zones. Need those for the artifact power boosts.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
I feel like "where's Waldo" finding the treasure boxes scattered around the zones. Need those for the artifact power boosts.

Indeed - like this more than Dreanor where it was all jumping puzzles. The maps are also better this time around!
I queued my hunter for another two 5man random dungeons yesterday. It was a bit more successful.

I got Violet Hold again for the first. I'm not sure about this but it may be that toon must complete the updated Violet Hold first to make the other dungeons available.

Did OK. We all died once when we didn't figure out the frost boss' mechanic at first (while the frozen upper platforms will damage you, when that boss is getting ready to drop his big bomb which freezes everyone on the base level for at least 15 seconds--likely killing one or two members by a direct attack--you hop up a level so at least you don't get frozen), and my hunter died on the final boss but with only 5% left so the healer and 2 DPS got him the rest of the way (the tank died before me at around 30% so I was hunter-tanking after that point).

The second one was in Odyn's...um, castle? Vyllhylla, perhaps (given Blizzard's predilection for substituting in Y's)? I got dropped in after the first boss was killed so I missed that. From the comments the previous healer was bad and was booted, but I don't know what happened to the DPS that I replaced. I had to apologize because my Barrage had pulled a side group unexpectedly. We got wiped once on the second boss (though that was while I was still trying to figure out how to run back in), but it was smooth sailing after that even if I had no idea of the precise mechanics.

Ended about halfway through 108th. <sigh> I have guildies who have completed MYTHIC dungeons already.
I agree, hunter's barrage is worse this expansion for pulling side groups. I've started standing further back when using it, or just avoiding it when I'm concerned about the risk. I'm finding a spirit beast in tenacity spec is best for dungeons, at least at the start of this expansion. A small heal for the tank plus thunderclap on my pet helps hold aggro to the tank.

Remember that old South Park episode. Those that are 110 running mythics already have no life. ;)
My problem has been Blizzard's constant tweaking of Barrage.

During pre-release while I was still doing Draenor random 5mans, in a given well-known dungeon Barrage would act one way yesterday, differently today and again differently in another way tomorrow, so it's even worse when plopped into a totally new dungeon.

In my second dungeon yesterday I HAD spotted that side group. I moved back AND to the side and fully expected that my Barrage wouldn't hit any of that group but I saw a shot go off to the side to pull them. Silly me.
At least I've not yet been kicked from a dungeon group for an errant barrage related pull ;)
Kirk posted:
At least I've not yet been kicked from a dungeon group for an errant barrage related pull ;)

Heh. During pre-release I was so kicked.
Conner Of Gallifrey
The iOS Legion Companion app is out - very handy.
My hunter hit 110 in the middle of play last night.

In previous versions of WoW I would have switched to my mage to begin leveling her. Because of the way the professions are being meagerly put out via quest chains, there are a number of quests that my hunter must complete before learning all of available leatherworking recipes (presumably there will be more higher level recipes through raid drops after raiding starts), so my switchover will be a while.

Plus I'll have to figure out how to get my hunter qualified for heroic much less mythic dungeons. I was wrong about Violet Hold: a toon has to be 105-110 to qualify for that (my hunter was either 105 or 106 when he did that) while the other normal-level dungeons are 100-110

Suramar is pretty much all a level 110 zone. When Khadgar dropped me near the middle, I saw that there was a flypoint that was fairly close to the northwest, but when I got there there was no one at all there including a flypoint NPC. I did find an passage to an underground zone there, but again no one was around even hostile NPCs. I had to travel pretty much to the NW corner of Suramar to find an actual flypoint (no inn there as far as I could tell).
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Suramar is pretty much all a level 110 zone. When Khadgar dropped me near the middle, I saw that there was a flypoint that was fairly close to the northwest, but when I got there there was no one at all there including a flypoint NPC. I did find an passage to an underground zone there, but again no one was around even hostile NPCs. I had to travel pretty much to the NW corner of Suramar to find an actual flypoint (no inn there as far as I could tell).

It sounds like you skipped the quest that opens the main hub in the zone, so it's all phased out for you.
Conner posted:
DEyncourt posted:

It sounds like you skipped the quest that opens the main hub in the zone, so it's all phased out for you.

Or, perhaps, there is none for (marksman?) hunters with skinning and leatherworking as professions.

The name of that unoccupied flypoint is Meredil.

I do have a quest that had its activity in the northEAST corner of Suramar, which was across the valley between it and Stormheim (where the questgiver is). I haven't done that one yet.
Also I've found logging out and back in can sometimes clear up phasing issues.
Kirk posted:
Also I've found logging out and back in can sometimes clear up phasing issues.

I did that specifically in Meredil, even quitting the game. It didn't change anything.
"Waiting on another installation or update"

Been 10 minutes now. Still stuck on that screen. Even restarted Launcher with no improvement.

Maybe I should just go and watch some TV....
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20