Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20
Online now: Bing (sucks)
I have 4 Invasion-capable toons and 3 level 100s that I have doing maintenance in their garrisons. The amount of time it takes one of my maintenance toons to do all of the garrison chores is about 20 minutes.

I have found that perhaps I was being a bit lucky before (or perhaps a bit unlucky NOW) but I am finding that--with transit time included--the time it takes to clear an Invasion can be a bit longer than 20 minutes EVEN if a toon gets lucky and drops into a particular scenario that is close to the end of stage 2 (so that toon can get both treasure chest drops from an Invasion). In combination of doing garrison chores and doing at least the first random heroic 5man dungeon to get the reward of 100 valor points that can be used for upgrades of gear previous to the Invasions, the total time I can take for one of my Invasion-capable toons is between an hour and 20 minutes and an hour and 40 minutes.

Yesterday was the first day I was able to run all 4 of my Invasion-capable toons through ALL of their chores plus 3 invasions each, and all 3 of my maintenance toons in THAT order, and by the end I was beat. Altogether it was about 8 hours of gameplay and MOST of that was simply no fun at all because the Invasions are SOOO boring.

Today I am experimenting with alternating between my two types of toons. This will NOT reduce the amount of time required, but it will help relieve the monotony of doing Invasion after Invasion.
Yeah, I can only do invasions so long. I'm getting better at not dying to the last invasion boss though. Each has a mechanic or two to avoid. That's not so hard for ranged DPS. Melee sucks though. Tanks and rogues die four or more times each. Lately after the first death, I just stay at range and throw daggers.
I was able to complete my set of tasks for my toon by using that alternating strategy. Like I predicted before: it didn't taken any shorter but it was at least not as monotonous.

-----

Hmm...I found a strategy that SOME players have been using in the Invasions.

During stage 3--when the invading forces gets spread around the zone--my past habit was to go around to each of those structures and kill all of the required invaders around it then do whatever was needed to destroy the structure which is fine and proper, BUT what others have found (and I am now doing) is to look specifically for the named invaders as opposed to the generically titled ones. The named invaders will drop between 5-15 nethershards upon the kill--so you have to survive to the end of those fights, though I THINK I saw that I got credit once when one was down to under 5% health before my monk died--with most being in the 5-10 range. In a "good" Invasion one might get 4 or 5 such kills, so around 30±5 nethershards which can increase the number dropped in the Invasion treasure chests by over 50%.

Of course all of the named invaders have particular offenses and defenses which make them harder to kill. There is one that spawns in southeastern Westfall that apparently is impossible to kill because it will regularly form a shield which takes all damage from all players attacking it. I THINK that its shield is a timed feature. I tried to work on it a couple of times with my hunter and was unable to get its health below 80% before running out of time in stage 3 (though this particular beastie is helped by appearing relatively late during stage 3 too). Perhaps it may be downable only with a large group attacking.

On the area maps MOST of these named invaders are marked with a skull-like icon as opposed to the triangular one for the larger structures and the spike icon for the smaller structures, but do note that if a named invader is close to either sized structure then that structure's icon overrides. Apparently it takes SOME time before any named invaders appear.
During stage 3 follow the people flying to the nearest green skull on the map and then on to the next and next. Killing each of those yields extra nether shards. Killing the unnamed demons around those green towers or randomly laid out in each zone does not give shards. I head back to the major city being attacked when stage 3 is at 90% complete. Generally by the time I get back to the city, stage 3 hits 97% or higher and the final demon boss fight starts promptly.
Ping ponging that stage 4 boss between tanks works pretty well. When the other tank is near death, taunt from half way across the city and run.

My demonhunter's glaives are both up to 725 and my other alts weapons are somewhere in the middle. Some are still missing a few 700+ armor pieces. I've noticed the two piece tier armor set bonus, even if its the 685 LFR set, beats two 700 invasion armor pieces. I've yet to get two 710 or 720 pieces for those slots. I would imagine 720 pieces are probably superior.

This latest Khadgar quest sequence, where you clear floating orbs in Dalaran was a bizarrely short quest chain. I was left wondering why Khadgar bothered me for that. ;)

The shield on that named demon in Westfall can be defeated by attacking the red humans surrounding him. He has mind-controlled them. If you hit them enough the mind-control breaks. Break mind control on all the humans he has collected and the demon's shield comes down. However if you don't break the mind control on the humans before engaging the demon, his shield never comes down.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I leveled my Horde druid from 85 to 100 yesterday using the invasions; went by pretty smoothly - the key to massive XP is to go with the large swarm of boss killers for phase 3; you get like 50-60k each boss kill. In leveling, I got enough chests/shards to full upgrade the druid's weapon… so it's now better than my main/priest. I have 3 of the pets, all the armor sets unlocked, etc.

I also have a spare Fel Spreader; I think 1-2 weeks after the expansion drops is the best time to sell that sucker.
I've resisted leveling any more alts to 100. I already have 18. I don't need any more

Nice, I felt lucky getting one fel spreader in a treasure box.
Kirk posted:
[snip]
The shield on that named demon in Westfall can be defeated by attacking the red humans surrounding him. He has mind-controlled them. If you hit them enough the mind-control breaks. Break mind control on all the humans he has collected and the demon's shield comes down. However if you don't break the mind control on the humans before engaging the demon, his shield never comes down.

Ah, thanks! I don't have the patience to learn stuff like that.

-----

On the other hand (and totally unrelated to the above): those hackers who have been attacking WoW servers have selected Hyjal server for special attention. Troublesome JUST to log in and lag times go up and down constantly.
Conner Of Gallifrey
If you follow a group around; you'll pick up how it all works pretty quick.
macnuke Afar
Kirk posted:
I've resisted leveling any more alts to 100. I already have 18. I don't need any more

you have made me feel so much better about how much time I spend on the game. thank you :lol:
You're welcome ;)
Conner Of Gallifrey
Discovered today that they added a new Aman'Thul reference in Legion - long time MAF Guild members will recognize the name. :)
I am finding I just can't get back into the swing of things. I just find I am suffering from a great big case of "meh" every time I log in. To the point where I am, for now, not going to buy Legion. It makes me sad.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Me, at work today:

pasted_image_at_2016_08_30_09_11_am.png

(More amusing since I work from home, and am sitting at my gaming PC)
Yeah, Legion tonight! ;)
Still on Whisperwind, Kirk?
Amongst others. Stormwind has a very high population and often sells unusual pets for reasonbly low prices. Undermine Journal convinced me to put a couple toons over there. Then I needed a couple DKs on low pop servers to wait for the rare tamed pets to spawn.
Conner Of Gallifrey
So, played most of last night (~5 to 11)… love it! So much fun.
The DDoS attacks last night made my game unplayable. Hopefully better luck tonight.
I've run my mains--hunter and mage--through the opening quest chains where they got a 750 item level weapon as a reward (note: Draenor enchantments are limited to items of level 748 or lower, though it just occurred to me: both my hunter and mage have the legendary ring which they have boosted to 761. I'll have to look and see if they are still enchanted, maybe because they "are" 740 level items at their base).

I did have an odd problem at the start. I went out and bought a collector's edition of Legion (at Fry's of Manhattan Beach--it was their last copy). Got home and installed it, but I found that nothing seemed to work towards getting my hunter and mage to the Broken Isles. They both had gotten that quest from Khadgar a week ago to clear Dalaran of those glowing spheres but I chose not to do that. When my hunter completed that quest, he turned in the quest to Khadgar in the central chamber where Khadgar and another mage talked about moving Dalaran to the Broken Isles, but after Khadgar and the Council cast spells for about 30 seconds, nothing happened. I searched around in Dalaran (still over Deadwind Pass), around Orgrimmar, went back to his garrison and there was no breadcrumb quest telling me how to get to Broken Isles.

I followed a suggestion I got on the Battle.net bug forum saying I should drop the quest first and I would encounter Khadgar's servant upon getting to Ogrimmar. Since my hunter had completed the quest and nowhere to go, I did that on my mage. She got a quest but I found that it was the exact same quest of clearing Dalaran and at the end SHE was stuck with nothing to do.

I even tried reloading the game. THAT required deleting the main app file since the installer first saw that my game was up-to-date. No help.

So after about an hour or so fussing, I figured out the problem: during the installation I NEVER got asked for the activation code of Legion. Sure enough, I looked at the version date on the opening screen and it was August 26, 2016, so predating Legion by 4 days.

On the other hand there is nothing within the game that asks for or allows input of the activation code. I had to log into my Battle.net account, bring up the games tab--which, by the way, has become a pain to get to because I had to get past all of the promotional stuff for Legion--and THERE I could put in the activation code.

Such a bother. After that on my hunter I got a NEW quest from Khadgar's servant directing me to go back to Dalaran and witness the teleport of Dalaran via a cinematic.

Oh, for having the collector's edition I got an additional mount, though it is not a flying one so after bringing it out to look at it (and with my Tauren hunter riding it, it was kinda silly because it is a relatively small mount) ONCE I'm likely never to see it again.
Huh I also have the collector's edition. I put in the code to my account back when. Everything worked fine, excepting that damnable DDoS problem.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
I've run my mains--hunter and mage--through the opening quest chains where they got a 750 item level weapon as a reward (note: Draenor enchantments are limited to items of level 748 or lower, though it just occurred to me: both my hunter and mage have the legendary ring which they have boosted to 761. I'll have to look and see if they are still enchanted, maybe because they "are" 740 level items at their base).

I did have an odd problem at the start. I went out and bought a collector's edition of Legion (at Fry's of Manhattan Beach--it was their last copy). Got home and installed it, but I found that nothing seemed to work towards getting my hunter and mage to the Broken Isles. They both had gotten that quest from Khadgar a week ago to clear Dalaran of those glowing spheres but I chose not to do that. When my hunter completed that quest, he turned in the quest to Khadgar in the central chamber where Khadgar and another mage talked about moving Dalaran to the Broken Isles, but after Khadgar and the Council cast spells for about 30 seconds, nothing happened. I searched around in Dalaran (still over Deadwind Pass), around Orgrimmar, went back to his garrison and there was no breadcrumb quest telling me how to get to Broken Isles.

I followed a suggestion I got on the Battle.net bug forum saying I should drop the quest first and I would encounter Khadgar's servant upon getting to Ogrimmar. Since my hunter had completed the quest and nowhere to go, I did that on my mage. She got a quest but I found that it was the exact same quest of clearing Dalaran and at the end SHE was stuck with nothing to do.

I even tried reloading the game. THAT required deleting the main app file since the installer first saw that my game was up-to-date. No help.

So after about an hour or so fussing, I figured out the problem: during the installation I NEVER got asked for the activation code of Legion. Sure enough, I looked at the version date on the opening screen and it was August 26, 2016, so predating Legion by 4 days.

On the other hand there is nothing within the game that asks for or allows input of the activation code. I had to log into my Battle.net account, bring up the games tab--which, by the way, has become a pain to get to because I had to get past all of the promotional stuff for Legion--and THERE I could put in the activation code.

Such a bother. After that on my hunter I got a NEW quest from Khadgar's servant directing me to go back to Dalaran and witness the teleport of Dalaran via a cinematic.

Oh, for having the collector's edition I got an additional mount, though it is not a flying one so after bringing it out to look at it (and with my Tauren hunter riding it, it was kinda silly because it is a relatively small mount) ONCE I'm likely never to see it again.

The way you add/activate the expansion on your account has been consistent since Cataclysm… what you described is the way it's always been? If you had patched last week, there was nothing to do other than login to battle.net; add the CD-Key and login. You don't need the game disc that comes with the box (this is also why the patch date is before legion).

I have a feeling the lack of flight on the CE mount was due to the grief they had over the CE in Dreanor after flight wasn't in the game for over a year? Dunno.
Conner posted:
DEyncourt posted:

The way you add/activate the expansion on your account has been consistent since Cataclysm… what you described is the way it's always been? If you had patched last week, there was nothing to do other than login to battle.net; add the CD-Key and login. You don't need the game disc that comes with the box (this is also why the patch date is before legion).

I have a feeling the lack of flight on the CE mount was due to the grief they had over the CE in Dreanor after flight wasn't in the game for over a year? Dunno.

Well, the LAST time I installed a new version of WoW part of the installation process required me to enter the activation code DURING that install (but maybe my memory is failing me? Hmm, maybe that was for Mists of Pandaria since I did the electronic update for Draenor now that I think about it). Obviously I had NOT installed Legion "last week" since I got that collector's edition yesterday.

But you are right: the version number and date for Legion on the login screen has not changed.

I rode that mount in Orgrimmar so it cannot fly at all. The lack of flying wasn't due to trying to fly in the Broken Isles. Oh, it did happen to be my 200th mount so I got that achievement and ANOTHER mount too--I should look at that before putting THAT away as well.
Yeah, no flying AGAIN at the start of a new expansion. :goth:
Back to the Water Strider mount in the Broken Isles and Headless Horseman's mount for older areas where I can fly.

I will say the Broken Isles look damn pretty. Blizz has finally got the artistic part of this down nearly perfect. Its probably as much about the video processing power of modern computers.
user Stupid cockwomble
this thread is both puzzling and seductive at the same time
Come back! You need a demon hunter! They level quickly to 100. You'll be there by the time you leave the starting area. ;)
macnuke Afar
So it seems the zero lifers have leveled to 110 and now spend their game time killing anyone that needs to go thru the Dalaran sewers and the PvP circle.
I wouldn't mind as much if my characters were of a decent level, but they have zero probs killing you at 100.
PvE server (Turalyon)
not flagged for PvP

/sigh
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Well, the LAST time I installed a new version of WoW part of the installation process required me to enter the activation code DURING that install (but maybe my memory is failing me? Hmm, maybe that was for Mists of Pandaria since I did the electronic update for Draenor now that I think about it). Obviously I had NOT installed Legion "last week" since I got that collector's edition yesterday.

But you are right: the version number and date for Legion on the login screen has not changed.

The Cata/Pandaria/Dreanor/Leigon prepatches all came out 3-4 weeks ahead of time and did not require any installation of the game discs. I can't say for sure on WOTLK; BC did require the CDs (oh 2007, you so silly!). The reason being is that they required you to have the expansion content even if you didn't go there so you would be able to load people's human waste if you encountered them in Stormwind/etc.

As someone else who owns every CE I know the pain - but I've always entered the code by hand into the website and logged right in after that. The only time you don't have to do this if you buy the game/expansion digitally, since it obviously knows you have it then.
Nonetheless, there were NO instructions given inside the game even hinting that I needed to enter the activation code. Sure, it makes sense AFTERWARDS, but I can tell you that it was mighty frustrating up to the point I did give thought to cancelling my subscription and demanding a refund for my purchased copy.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Nonetheless, there were NO instructions given inside the game even hinting that I needed to enter the activation code. Sure, it makes sense AFTERWARDS, but I can tell you that it was mighty frustrating up to the point I did give thought to cancelling my subscription and demanding a refund for my purchased copy.

So, here are the one page instructions included in the game (what your CD Key is printed on; opposite the disc):

legion.jpg

Not sure how you missed 'em.
Conner Of Gallifrey
So just for the hell of it I went back through my older CEs and it looks like the 2 page instructions in Legion started with Pandaria - Cataclysm was like 10 pages, and the original CE comes with a 150 page tome! :lol:
macnuke posted:
So it seems the zero lifers have leveled to 110 and now spend their game time killing anyone that needs to go thru the Dalaran sewers and the PvP circle.
I wouldn't mind as much if my characters were of a decent level, but they have zero probs killing you at 100.
PvE server (Turalyon)
not flagged for PvP

/sigh

That sort of thing is why I hate PvP and avoid it at all costs.
Conner posted:
DEyncourt posted:

So, here are the one page instructions included in the game (what your CD Key is printed on; opposite the disc):

legion.jpg

Not sure how you missed 'em.

BAH! Who reads the instructions? ;)
Conner Of Gallifrey
QZDaJjc.jpg

Saw this; couldn't stop laughing for two+ minutes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DEyncourt posted:
Maybe this will help if anyone is having the following problem. This might be specific to the Mac version of WoW.

Because forcing the game to perform a download DURING play is sorta iffy for me--not only does a simultaneous download make gameplay impossible, but the Mac version doesn't seem to download reliably at all--I have been running the WoW Launcher specifically to force the game to perform any current downloads.

So I run the WoW Launcher first. The first screen comes up with my username and asks for my password. I supply that and I get a follow-up screen asking for my authenticator code (BTW: I wish that Blizzard would give us the option on that screen to have Launcher ALWAYS ask for the authenticator rather than the opposite option). I find my authenticator and type in the code it gives.

Here's the problem: EVERY single time I have done this, the FIRST time I get returned to the first screen asking for my password again, getting an error message saying that there was something wrong with my login information.

Of course I might have mistyped my password or my authenticator code, but there have been times when I am fairly certain that I had typed in both correctly and gotten this error message anyway. Sometimes I have done that and got a second error, and it appears that would continue UNTIL after enough time has passed that my authenticator generates a new code.

So I tried an experiment: the first time I run the Launcher I deliberately put in gibberish for the password (I think that only 4 characters are "required") and any 6-digit number for the authenticator code, getting the expected error message. The second time I type in the correct information and EVERY time that has worked.

Let me point out that the above no longer applies.

When I bring up Launcher, now it seems that every time I get "logged in" locally. I get to the first screen but get a warning saying that there was some problem and I am NOT online though I guess kinda-sorta logged into my local game. The odd thing is that IF there is an update (like just now) then Launcher will try to download it even though technically it isn't connected. That update doesn't seem to progress until after I successfully log in a second time.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumble
And at the moment the game is unplayable for me. Lag time keeps on changing from 30 ms to over 10 K.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
And at the moment the game is unplayable for me. Lag time keeps on changing from 30 ms to over 10 K.

The DDOS continues!
macnuke Afar
they aren't hitting my servers.
mines ranging from 28 to 40 at it's worst. but usually the 28 or so.
Yeah, it's been bad.

Last night on my main hunter I picked up my mail. Day before yesterday I had sent him a stack of healing potions to round up his stack to 20 with the intention of mailing the excess to my next toon down the line (my monk). I put the remnant into Send Mail, addressed it properly and clicked on the Send button...and waited 30 seconds after which the game had not responded.

I went to Krasus' Landing to take a flight out to his current zone--thinking that maybe the crowding in Dalaran was a problem--but I clicked on the flight master and nothing happened for at least 20 seconds.

I gave up.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20