Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot], ukimalefu
macnuke Afar
anyone still playing WoW and if so are you considering the next Xpac?

Last edited by macnuke on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 am.

Well, kinda-sorta still playing.

I've been logging in about once a week to do some stuff at my toons' garrisons. My best toons are stuck at the point where their gear is not quite high enough to get into heroic much less mythic raids and seemingly practically no one is running regular level raids so they could pick up some gear better than Looking-For-Raid level gear (which they both have). There are some groups offering raid slots for pay in WoW gold, an act which really bothers me.

When my guild WAS running weekly raids in Warlords of Draenor, I was having problems for almost a month where my lag was basically unplayable such that I did consider de-activating my account at least temporarily. By the time I did figure out the problem--I had WoWHead.com running in the background for the game info it provided and it began to run silent video ads even when it wasn't my foreground program, so I killed that by applying AdBlock--my main toon's gear was JUST marginal to join when my guildies more-or-less collectively decided to stop raiding (or at least not enough people showed show up on raid day). I've looked but haven't found another guild for raiding.

Yeah, I'll continue to play, probably starting to play more regularly again at that start of August because that is likely when Blizzard will re-vamp the game to fit the revisions for Legion when it arrives at the end of that month.
I though about picking it back up when I found out that Taiwan accounts can be prepaid in hour packs instead of monthly (meaning you pay for the time, it doesn't expire, you use it at the rate at which you play), plus expansions are included free with paid time. But really playing alone and starting over, plus playing on servers with few English speakers? I got a few characters up to level 20 (the free limit) before setting it aside again.
Conner Of Gallifrey
I play every expansion for 4-5 months (usually starting again a month before the expansion drops). I plan to do so again for Legion.
Yup, still playing. At this point, I'm leveling alts and collecting mounts.
Yes, I'll buy the next expansion.
macnuke Afar
and pre-release is tomorrow 07-19
and it's basically a total revamp
Conner Of Gallifrey
macnuke posted:
and pre-release is tomorrow 07-19
and it's basically a total revamp

Excited - I got my Ring last weekend; so I'm ready to go! :D
Ring? I haven't played in nearly a year. Is there some crazy quest chain I need to do in advance of Legion?
Warin posted:
Ring? I haven't played in nearly a year. Is there some crazy quest chain I need to do in advance of Legion?

There is a legendary ring quest chain that you essentially must do alone (if there are any other players in the quest areas then they fade out during the more crucial parts). It is a LONG chain during which you are rewarded a series of rings (by exchanging the lower one for the new one), but at the end you are rewarded with a item level 735 ring. There are 5 separate rings each of which is appropriate for tanks/healers/strengthDPS/agilityDPS/intellectDPS, but if you have a multi-purpose toon (like a paladin) then you can exchange your ring for one of the other types.

Beyond that you can improve that ring by 3 points with crystallized fel. These can be purchased for 1250 valor points from various vendors and is the main reason for earning valor points. A crystallized fel also can be dropped from Archimonde in normal or higher Hellfire Citadel raids (so not in LFR). Only one crystallized fel may be used per week upon the legendary ring, though a toon can hold several crystallized fels in case you cannot play for a while (so a place to "hold" valor points if you get close to its limit). A total of 30 20 crystallized fels may be used to max out the legendary ring to item level 795. If you have not gotten the legendary ring by completing the quest chain, then you will not see the crystallized fel from any vendors nor be eligible for getting it as a reward for beating Archimonde in a regular or better raid. I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that if one type of ring is exchanged for another then the new ring will "retain" any added bonuses in item level.

WowHead.com has more details than you need here. Do note that there are other "legendary" quests that are linked to those specifically for getting the ring (like a chain to get a legendary follower). Oh, the author of that page notes:
Quote:
The legendary questline cannot be finished when Legion hits. It also cannot be started after the Legion pre-patch. Start it now to ensure you finish it by August 30th!
[bold added]

Do note that the WoW servers will be shutting down at 5 am PDT today (7/19) for the pre-patch switchover.

EDIT: derp--math is bad when done without enough sleep.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:54 pm.

Conner Of Gallifrey
Yeah, it's patched out today - though I doubt anyone starting it yesterday could finish it either.
I only managed to finish the loooong quest chain on two toons. The rest are all stuck somewhere in the middle.
I'm looking forward to the next expansion. I'm building a dual boot machine. The 2006 Mac tower is finally going to be retired. ;)
I am currently downloading the update: about 2 GBs down, 18 GBs more to go....
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
I am currently downloading the update: about 2 GBs down, 18 GBs more to go....

Yuck. Thank god they started the preload weeks ago! :D
Yeah, my download was done on Saturday.
Kirk posted:

Really?

For the Mac version I have been forced to use the WoW Launcher at least once a day in order to force the downloads of any updates. While SOME can be done while the game is playing, I've found that the lag during such downloading was too great AND, of course, there were some downloads that had to be downloaded and installed before the game could be played.

Right now the WoW Launcher is reporting that the game is "playable" but there are still 16.5 GBs to go, so nappy time Image
I just left the launcher running with the computer on when I was done playing Friday night. When I sat down to play again on Saturday, my download was almost finished. It finished when I took a break to do chores on Saturday.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Really?

For the Mac version I have been forced to use the WoW Launcher at least once a day in order to force the downloads of any updates. While SOME can be done while the game is playing, I've found that the lag during such downloading was too great AND, of course, there were some downloads that had to be downloaded and installed before the game could be played.

Right now the WoW Launcher is reporting that the game is "playable" but there are still 16.5 GBs to go, so nappy time Image

Yeah, I had that human waste running at like 3 AM.

My sub ran out today of course, so I guess I don't get to play with the new hotness. I guess I'll see the new toys later next month.
Kirk posted:
I just left the launcher running with the computer on when I was done playing Friday night. When I sat down to play again on Saturday, my download was almost finished. It finished when I took a break to do chores on Saturday.

But see: I have run the WoW Launcher at least once a day EVERY day, so if the update had been available to you this past Friday night then I should have seen the download start sometime between then and now.

Now it's at 11.5 GBs to go, but I had glanced at it now and again and I saw that the download got interrupted by something and paused for about a minute (and this was before I logged back into Macstack or doing anything else online). Maybe tomorrow at soonest?
Whelp, after starting up the game this evening, there is yet another download required. Though thankfully its only a bit over 1 GB.
<sigh> While it is down to 2.48 GBs at the moment (and I probably have that 1 GB download that Kirk mentioned awaiting after that), I've been checking in on the progress every now and again. Not every time I've checked but at least 4 times the progress bar was pulsing merrily along, but a closer look showed that it had been stopped with 0 KBs/sec. Of course no telling how long it had been sitting there, but each time I paused it, quit WoW Launcher, then restarted that program again and took it off pause it would immediately start downloading stuff again.

Yes, Launcher says the game is "optimal" to be played, but not while most of bandwidth is being taken up by something else.
Conner Of Gallifrey
DEyncourt posted:
<sigh> While it is down to 2.48 GBs at the moment (and I probably have that 1 GB download that Kirk mentioned awaiting after that), I've been checking in on the progress every now and again. Not every time I've checked but at least 4 times the progress bar was pulsing merrily along, but a closer look showed that it had been stopped with 0 KBs/sec. Of course no telling how long it had been sitting there, but each time I paused it, quit WoW Launcher, then restarted that program again and took it off pause it would immediately start downloading stuff again.

Yes, Launcher says the game is "optimal" to be played, but not while most of bandwidth is being taken up by something else.

When you start it drastically cuts down the dl speed.
Conner - You mean when you start playing the game, the patch download drastically slows down or stops. So yeah, to get any significant progress downloading the patch the game needs to be closed / exited while the launcher remains active.

DEyncourt - Yeah, I had to go 'jiggle the cord' once while doing that initial download to get it to start back up again. The launcher dropped the connection for some reason. Quitting and restarting the launcher got the download going again.

My general impression of this patch -

Stormwind has been repaired. All the damage the dragon did in Cataclysm finally got fixed. There's a new park, not like the old park, where the destroyed barracks used to be. And if you understand that, you're a WoW veteran. ;)

The new account-wide transmog feature needs players to do something to make it most useful. The weapon and armor pieces don't get loaded into your account-wide transmog database until you log into each of your characters. Leave your character active for at least five minutes, while WoW runs through your old completed quests to add those armor and weapon skins to the transmog database. Briefly equip any soulbound items in bags or voidstorage to assure the item gets added. After that you can sell / disenchant / delete the old armor or weapons you were saving for transmog. I'm thinking this might be Blizzard's impetus for making this change. Now they won't have to use up memory to remember all this extra junk people kept in their bags.

If you used to have helm or cape not displayed in the interface settings you will find they are both visible now upon logging in initially. Visiting a transmog NPC will allow you to once again make those invisible as well as any other armor piece or weapon you want. Its the first (upper left) option amongst those shown in the transmog window.

I have not yet checked to see if profession generated items (like blacksmithing or leatherworking) are automatically loaded from toons having those professions and patterns. I might have to craft each item once and equip it (make it soulbound) in order to get it into the transmog database. If that's the case expect a brief spike in auction prices for crafted gear. I have one character that can still make the deviate scale belt, a LW pattern no longer available to acquire in the game. That might make phenomenal gold for a few weeks.

I suggest not bothering to transmog your gear on any toon until you've loaded all the skins from all your alts. You might find you've got some nice and unexpected sets.

I parked my toons in either Stormwind or Orgrimmar while I get that done. I'm also not sure what new talents to apply yet. More reading at Icy Veins, etc.

Last edited by Kirk on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 pm.

Conner Of Gallifrey
You can transmog for specs too; which is really nice. And your look will change, when you swap - very neat!
Finally done at about 5 am PDT this morning, so overall total download time was around 19 hours. 5 am happened to be about the time when Blizzard was going to reset all servers, so I had to wait a bit longer to get started.

<sigh> Drastic changes in "most" classes. My main toon is a marksman hunter and while his shot sequence is considerably simplified compared to what it was during Draenor, I'm still not liking it much (yet). I took him on a 5man random heroic dungeon and he was dead last in DPS (though ahead of the healer), but not only am I having to relearn keystroke sequences but considerably having to change the expected timing that I had gotten used to, so my hunter's DPS dropped by about half from around 40 K/sec to 20 K/sec. I'm still grumbling about how the main secondary stat for my hunter changed from critical shot to mastery AND how crit dropped to last place for marksman hunters which will require some gear changes for some of his non-crafted gear.

Something of the opposite for my frost mage. Her shot sequence is significantly more complicated than that in Draenor. Still, in her 5man random heroic dungeon she was off by only a little bit: down from 35 K/sec to 30 K/sec in DPS. Her main secondary stat was changed from crit to haste with crit as the second place secondary stat, AND as it happens a lot of her gear already was crit/haste. There was only one crafted piece which required re-working the secondary stats.

That's enough reading of Icy-Veins.com for now. I have 5 more level 100 toons that will have to be reworked so I will stick to garrison duty for them for now.
macnuke Afar
I will say this for the Warlock i main.....

it feels like the old SL/SL days of DoT and run...
this is in Tanaan jungle. run in big circle thru all the mobs....run thru again to loot.
having tried Destro and demo I have never cared for.
OK, crafted armor and weapons do NOT get automatically added to the transmog database. I'm going to be crafting every item with a unique skin one more time. sigh
If you're soloing old dungeons for appearances / transmog, realize that you will only 'learn' the appearance if the armor piece matches your toon's proper type. For example if you solo with a plate wearer, you will only 'learn' appearances for plate and the weapons he or she can wield. You will not 'learn' appearances for mail, leather or cloth, even though your warrior or DK can still equip them. Similarly you'll only learn weapon types you can use. Your warrior or DK will not 'learn' the appearance for wands for example.

This complicates things. You'll have to solo old content with each type of armor wearer. And probably multiple times to get the rare drops. sigh

Also legendaries may be a problem. I got the warglaive of Azinoth last night on my rogue soloing Illidan. It did not get 'learned'.

If you buy any of the special armor pieces or weapons from vendors, do not delete or sell the item until its past the 'buy back' period. If you do it before that timer is up, you will 'unlearn' the appearance.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
This complicates things. You'll have to solo old content with each type of armor wearer. And probably multiple times to get the rare drops. sigh

They did this so plate wearers were automatically "the best" for transmog runs. Makes a lot of sense.

Kirk posted:
Also legendaries may be a problem. I got the warglaive of Azinoth last night on my rogue soloing Illidan. It did not get 'learned'.

Legendaries can't be transmogged (in that, you can't use them as an appearance. you can graft a look onto them) - this has been the case since the system started.
Weren't
and bah humbug
In related news, I finally figured out a general strategy to solo the chess event and usually win on the first try.
macnuke Afar
that one is easy Kirk

and Locks are PVP gods at the moment... I am sure we will be fodder again at level.... but i shall enjoy the moment.
Something of a switch for my two mains.

On my marksman hunter I'm getting used to the timing of his shots (though still not QUITE there). In a few 5man randoms I've actually IMPROVED his DPS from about 40-45 K / sec from before the pre-patch dropped to 45-50 K / sec now. Barrage is still being problematic in that there are too many situations where it will unexpectedly shoot an NPC in the far distance (and sometimes not even on my screen) and bring in a second or more groups and sometimes wiping my party. I THINK Barrage is being improved in that it is doing bad things less often now but that problem isn't gone completely.

On my frost mage I have NOT gotten used to any pattern yet. Her DPS has dropped from 30-35 K / sec pre-patch down to 20 K / sec now, so doing OK but nothing to boast about.

Odd thing: if anything I have spent more time playing my mage than my hunter since she has the tavern in her garrison with its usual daily pair of quests to NONrandom 5mans (sometimes I get lucky and one or both of those quests will match the random, but that is a rare occurrence). My hunter instead has the barn (which is more appropriate for a skinner/leatherworker) and so it is rare for me to send my hunter to more than one random per day.

For both this past week I had sent them out on a timewalking dungeon basically on a daily basis as well. For completing that weekly my hunter got a necklace that got disenchanted because he had better. My mage got an item level 720 shoulder so I had to rearrange her gear by swapping that for the LFR shoulder that she was wearing, then swapping a not-quite-as-good 705 chest for the LFR chest to maintain her 4-set. Oh, those item level numbers are their post-upgrade values.

I've at least somewhat set up my destruction warlock (main secondary stat is haste) and my windwalker monk (aw, c'mon: versatility is her main secondary stat? I had to practically swap out her entire set of gear or tweak the secondary stats on all of the crafted bits). I also have a second hunter (beastmaster), a warrior (fury) and a rogue (outlaw? what's that?) that I haven't even done anything to transform them for the pre-patch.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Kirk posted:
Weren't
and bah humbug
In related news, I finally figured out a general strategy to solo the chess event and usually win on the first try.

You can use Legendaries during the timewalking events though, which is pretty neat.
Wassup with setting the reset time for daily quests to 8 am PDT?
Seem odd to me also. I'd expect the old 2 AM number. Still, I'm never sitting at my computer at 8 AM on weekends so meh.
dv
Kirk posted:
Seem odd to me also. I'd expect the old 2 AM number. Still, I'm never sitting at my computer at 8 AM on weekends so meh.

Some kind of nanny feature to prevent people from double-grinding dailies until 5AM and losing their jobs, probably.
user Stupid cockwomble
thats when they start work for the day

i work for a west coast company. everythings done to their time zone
OK, this is odd.

On my warlock whom I have been running more just to have a maxxed-out alchemist, I hadn't bothered to run him through the Proving Grounds so that he could qualify for any heroic dungeons. I had run him through a handful of normal dungeons in Draenor but that was it.

This morning I looked through his list of available dungeons and I saw that he could select a random 5man heroic dungeon, so I did that. I got to run him through heroic Upper Blackrock Spire for the first time--fortunately the rest of his party was doing 30-45 K / sec to his 15 K / sec so frankly he got carried. Got through the dungeon with only one death (one of the other DPS, partly because the tank pressed our party a BIT by pulling in more than the standard groups of NPCs).

So after that I brought up the list of selectable dungeons, but when I tried to select any of the heroic level dungeons I found that they were all unavailable essentially because my warlock hadn't completed the necessary preliminary (presumably by doing the Proving Grounds). It was strange because previously a lock icon would overlap the checkbox when being blocked, but today all of those heroic dungeons had empty checkboxes (but I couldn't check any of them).

Later I will give this a try on my monk as she is similarly set like my warlock: maybe a handful of regular Draenor dungeons (if that) but none of the heroic dungeons at all for the same reason.
Maybe they removed the proving grounds requirement. Or maybe that's a bug they need to fix. I know I could never finish the proving grounds with my warlock before this latest patch. I'll have to see if its easy now.
macnuke Afar
it's not easier on a lock now.
I did it quite some time back and have my legendary ring.
your gear scales down.. so no OP smashing allowed.
and remember.. it's about mechanics more than blowing Cds and whatnot.
you need all the CC get on the healers and use the Ambers as well. anything trapped in amber takes increased damage.

good luck with it.
personally, I would just go out to taanan jungle and baleful gear up.... you will need it more when legion drops .
Kirk posted:
Maybe they removed the proving grounds requirement. Or maybe that's a bug they need to fix. I know I could never finish the proving grounds with my warlock before this latest patch. I'll have to see if its easy now.

Ah, I hopped on my monk just now and she can select any of the heroic dungeons.

Just to be sure: I also hopped onto my warlock and he can do the same.

So apparently on my warlock I got onto WoW during a short window when Blizzard hadn't properly cleared the select-a-dungeon window. It does appear that now the Proving Grounds requirement for heroic dungeons has been entirely removed.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Sporadic WiFi problems with sporadic Warcraft

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17