Groovy stuff in the pipeline for the Wii?

Online now: Bing (sucks)
There are some truly awesome games out there which aren't available for the Wii. The latest Grand Theft Auto, for example. I've even heard the next Resident Evil will only appear for the PS3 and Xbox.

My theory is this: everyone assumed that Nintendo would be a distant third in terms of next-gen market share, the PS3 at the top, and developed their games accordingly. If this is the case, I'm hoping they've awoken to reality and are frantically adjusting their priorities.

Or am I wrong? Are the Wii's controls too hard to work with in terms of game design? Are the graphics too lame? Or something else?

Basically, I'm wondering where all the goddamned awesome titles are, and if I'll ever see them.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Unless there's something cost prohibitive about it, if I were a game maker, I'd want my games on every platform possible. The Wii's graphics don't seem substandard to me in any way (though that's not something I pay much attention to), and the controls would seem to offer even more gaming possibilities than what other systems use. (At worst, you can design a game to just not take advantage of the Wii's motion sensors.)

Makes me think game designers would be nuts to not also put their stuff on the Wii.
Nintendo is not very 3rd party friendly. You just have to look at the last E3 to get a good idea of that. When Nintendo makes an innovation, even these partners in profitability do not know about until the same time that we the general audience do.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Nintendo's greatest asset (Insanely strong third party titles) is it's third parties' greatest weakness (why buy this good game when I can buy the OMG JESUS GAME!).
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
My theory is this: everyone assumed that Nintendo would be a distant third in terms of next-gen market share, the PS3 at the top, and developed their games accordingly. If this is the case, I'm hoping they've awoken to reality and are frantically adjusting their priorities.

Or am I wrong? Are the Wii's controls too hard to work with in terms of game design? Are the graphics too lame? Or something else?

Yes you are wrong, Yes the controls are harder to work with than a 360 or PS3 which are similar in layout/number of buttons/features making cross platforming difficult, yes the graphics are lame. It is basically 1.5 gamecubes. The 360/PS3 are far ahead of that and often rely on the presence of a hard drive or far more ram. The wii isn't 30% the physical size of the other two just cause nintendo knows how to make human waste small

Games that are cross platform even just across the 360/PS3 require FAR more development time, more programers, and often do not take advantages of hardware designs unique to each system so it runs worse than if they just focused on the one.

It impossible to do for hardware reasons to release 'identical' games, any game the came out that was across all three would be massively watered down for the Wii and anyone with a second system would most likely buy it for the other system and anyone with just a wii would continue to play games that didnt suck for the wii like mario galaxy and kart and whatnot, the wii port would be massive money sink with no payoffs.

On top of all that smaller developer companies are kind of like farmers - they only make money when the crops come in and lose money the rest of the year, they can't take that kind of chances on developing a game 3 times over.

If you want to play GTA4 you should have bought a 360 in the first place, just saying thats something you should have known going into this.
Why would a Wii port be a money sink with no payoffs? It's dominating the marketplace, blowing Microsoft and Sony out of the water. Nintendo's not the niche, it's becoming dominant.

I do know that the Wii's graphics are substandard, though. Thirty seconds with a PS3 is enough to prove that.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Why would a Wii port be a money sink with no payoffs? It's dominating the marketplace, blowing Microsoft and Sony out of the water. Nintendo's not the niche, it's becoming dominant.

I do know that the Wii's graphics are substandard, though. Thirty seconds with a PS3 is enough to prove that.

The Wii's 3rd party attach rate is horrible.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

What conner said, and the fact that you CANT make a port of a ps3/360 game? They would look nothing alike. With the exception of Madden __ and games like that, you're not going to find anything thats on all 3 systems.
But ... but ...

I WANT!!!!
lightsaber duels were why I got a wii in the first place, I'll admit I'll be happy with that, wii sports and mario kart. I love the little stick fiddler. But there is a reason why both the marketing people from MS and Sony both said "We think everyone isn't gonna get our system....and a wii." Otherwise I'm fine with playing assassin's creed, ratchet and clank, soul caliber, GoW, and GTA on a game system that isn't extremely limited by graphics capability, low 3rd party support and underdeveloped internet/online features.

human waste I wouldnt even want to play GTA or a FPS on a wii.
/me lurvs Resident Evil 4
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Groovy stuff in the pipeline for the Wii?