Kid drops out of high school to "focus" on guitar hero

Online now: Google [Bot]
tiki Minor Prophetess
Because you know... It's not enough to focus on your passion after school and on weekends like a student athlete does...

Clicken sie

Link to story in actual newspaper

Among the best snippets in the article:

Quote:
"We couldn't take the complaining anymore," says Hunter. "He always told me that he thought school was a waste of time."

Quote:
Blake has done well in local tournaments, including one held at a Chick-fil-A that earned him 52 combo meals.

Quote:
Sometimes, when Mike heads to the gym before 5 a.m., his son is still playing video games. Blake calls it working "the late shift."

I wonder how he'll feel at 30, looking back at his life...
He should finish high school, but if he's REALLY good...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal1ty
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
I'd like to see a movie about this, where we see how Hollywood's "follow your dreams!" mantra leads people to pursue really stupid human waste.
ukimalefu wrote:

...he can become a douchebag?

Even, I daresay, real musicians don't drop out of school to try and become successful.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Phydeaux wrote:
Even, I daresay, real musicians don't drop out of school to try and become successful.

QFT!
Mustapha Mond wrote:
I'd like to see a movie about this, where we see how Hollywood's "follow your dreams!" mantra leads people to pursue really stupid human waste.

Awesome idea.

I wish I was a fat cat producer who could pay you a buttload of dough for a script.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
On one hand, $500,000 isn't anything to laugh at. On the other hand, he's 16 years old so that money might last him 10 years and then he's a high school dropout with no marketable skills.
Phydeaux wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

...he can become a douchebag?

He can be a douchebag that makes money.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Mustapha Mond wrote:

Awesome idea.

I wish I was a fat cat producer who could pay you a buttload of dough for a script.

Me too!
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

QFT!

This makes me wonder: as fewer and fewer schools offer music classes, will real musicians start dropping out in order to become successful?

Conversely, should playing video games be considered an art, and thus video game electives should be offered in schools?
Mustapha Mond wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

QFT!

This makes me wonder: as fewer and fewer schools offer music classes, will real musicians start dropping out in order to become successful?

Conversely, should playing video games be considered an art, and thus video game electives should be offered in schools?

http://www.fullsail.com/game-development/overview.html
Mustapha Mond wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

QFT!

I don't consider even the most well-written most immersive experience to be "art". While we are starting to move to experiences where there's not one defined outcome to buttons your press, you're still within the confines of someone else's own masterpiece. One that is very rarely open to interpretation and tells you how something it done and makes you react to it. You can do it without question (like BioShock) or you can disobey the game and "break it" (kind of like in Portal), even so, there's still expectations of the player and there's nothing "new" you can bring to the experience like an instrument.

Rock Band 2 might change a few things what with it's Drum Trainer application as part of the game. Drum fills and the like were non-required (unless you needed Overdrive) and nonsensical to anyone who hasn't played drums before, that looks to change. Even without the tutoring tools that are coming, even just playing Rock Band itself has shown that you can and do learn some skills necessary for playing.

Though for what it's worth, I can apparently sing better than that Coheed and Cambria guy, hitting 98% at my best on Expert for Welcome Home, whereas he hits 84%. But you know. Tone and pitch. Whatever.

We're starting to see touch-sensitivity on prototype guitars for playing these games so... honestly? It's a matter of time before they get up to this step too.

So while I agree with actual musicians, I do wish that they'd lay off of saying "if you spend so much time with that, why don't you just play a real instrument. I get all the chicks and moneys and stuff." Because while it may be true that the best of the best can make a living, there's a lot of casuals that can't get that far, and one guy pulling out a real guitar at a party is a douche whereas a dozen people taking turns on something like Rock Band is infinitely more entertaining and interactive with those who never really care to touch an instrument. But maybe, just maybe, they'd be inspired to do so in the future.

So there's my take.
Side note: the douche at the party who pulls out the real guitar may be a douche but he's got the best key to getting into fat girls' pants since ham on a fishing pole.
Geesie wrote:
Side note: the douche at the party who pulls out the real guitar may be a douche but he's got the best key to getting into fat girls' pants since ham on a fishing pole.

Well I married my dream girl
I married my dream girl
But I didn't know
That her credit was bad
user Stupid cockwomble
so I took a big chance at the high school dance
with a missy who was ready to play
wasn't me she was foolin'
'cause she knew what she was doin'
and I knowed love was here to stay
when she told me to
Phydeaux wrote:
[snip]
So while I agree with actual musicians, I do wish that they'd lay off of saying "if you spend so much time with that, why don't you just play a real instrument. I get all the chicks and moneys and stuff."
[snip]

Uh, because playing a real instrument would require actual talent and not just quick reflexes combined with some affinity for rote.
Talent is moot if there's time investment.

Legendary figures notwithstanding.

Not discounting you or pith or anyone else that has the ability to do the real thing without their arthritis swelling up, but you get a young whippersnapper in the mix, God or gene-given talent may have nothing to do with how well they measure up.
You're all jealous.
That tends to be what the arguments on Fark, Forums and Youtube dissolve to, yeah.
Phydeaux wrote:
Mustapha Mond wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Phydeaux wrote:

QFT!

I don't consider even the most well-written most immersive experience to be "art". [/snip]

I actually just wrote an essay last semester talking about interactive fiction in both the text based "games" and some of the sandbox types. Have you seen some of the newer text games that are around? I think both can have just as much artistic value as a piece of literature.
To be clear, I was talking about the playing of the game as art. Can the person with the control pad (or fake guitar) be an artist in how he/she plays?

I agree that the games themselves can be art -- or the medium itself can at least aspire to art since it has all the trappings of literature, movies, music, etc, with the added bonus of being interactive.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I have a difficult time classifying Guitar Hero as art when you are just following along with what the game tells you to do. It's Twister on a grander scale. Which isn't to say it isn't a hell of a lot of fun, because it is, just not art.
Playing the game is not art, in the same way that going to the museum is not art. There may be some art in there, or not, that's subjective. But playing Guitar Hero is not art.
I've always thought art should involve creation. I don't think most games allow for much of that. If you had the opportunity to write your own new songs on Guitar Hero, then maybe you could create some kind of art with the game. As it is, I do not at all see playing Guitar Hero, even at the most freakishly high level of skill you can achieve, an art.
So, then, is a concert pianist an artist? He follows along with what the sheet music and conductor tell him to do, and he doesn't create anything.
He's a fantastic piano player, not a visionary artist. Honestly, it's sort of the same type of thing but one is much more culturally valued and one is much more culturally popular.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but when you think about it, it's true.

Of course, there's gray area too. Chances are, the pianist's improvisational skills are much better than the Guitar Hero's. It's unclear if you could even improvise with a Guitar Hero guitar given the chance. A real guitar obviously has more than 5 notes, and the 5 buttons on the Guitar Hero guitar don't tend to always be tied to a certain note or tonal range.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Alexander Supertramp wrote:
I have a difficult time classifying Guitar Hero as art when you are just following along with what the game tells you to do. It's Twister on a grander scale. Which isn't to say it isn't a hell of a lot of fun, because it is, just not art.

Question - Is using a [real] guitar to play songs other's have written art then? I would argue no…
Depends on how you play it.
dv
Conner wrote:

Question - Is using a [real] guitar to play songs other's have written art then? I would argue no…

I wouldn't argue that if you want to make it out of here in one piece.
It really does matter how you play it. I have heard "child prodigies" play some complicated classical piece on the piano, but for all the feeling that went into it it may as well been MotU playing it on a Quadra. An artist can play someone else's work - the art is in the interpretation and internalization of the composition.
Conner Of Gallifrey
dvpierce wrote:
Conner wrote:

I wouldn't argue that if you want to make it out of here in one piece.

I'd say that going from guitar hero to a real guitar is just like going from twister to guitar hero. You're basically just following pre-written instructions to win [which, in this case, is sounding good].
It's a hard parallel to draw because Twister and Guitar Hero allow absolutely no room for improvisation or original material, wherein a real guitar does.

There is a lot of grey area, Geesie seems to be on the right path up there.
Conner Of Gallifrey
It's a hard parallel to draw because Twister and Guitar Hero allow absolutely no room for improvisation or original material, wherein a real guitar does.

There is a lot of grey area, Geesie seems to be on the right path up there.

Actually, the latest version of Guitar Hero is pressure sensitive (so harder hits are louder) and you can actually record your own songs.
Thats actually interesting, how does the song recording work? Like a 5 note keyboard or is there more to it?
Conner Of Gallifrey
Good question. Latest version = the one coming out this holiday season. I think the whole idea sounds dumb, but I figured it was worth pointing out here.
Mustapha Mond wrote:
So, then, is a concert pianist an artist? He follows along with what the sheet music and conductor tell him to do, and he doesn't create anything.

Ah, but not all pianists sound the same, as the same goes with vocalists. There are different levels of emphasis, speed and interpretation.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Kid drops out of high school to "focus" on guitar hero