PS 3 hook-up question

Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, juice
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
What's the best line to use ...

No, I really want to know if there is a way to connect a PS3 to an older tv that does not have HDMI. Is there a HDMI to Red,White,Yellow connector ?

This is a used PS3, so I might not have gotten all the parts.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Google "PS3 RCA cable"
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
If your TV is an HDTV, try component or DVI if available. I don't know which is better, but I know DVI doesn't carry audio. I don't know if component does.

If it's not an HDTV, you'll be missing out on much of the benefit of this generation of consoles (except for the Wii).
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Geesie wrote:
Google "PS3 RCA cable"

Ah Ha !
Thank you, Geesie, Sir! :D

Macskeeball wrote:
If your TV is an HDTV, try component or DVI if available. I don't know which is better, but I know DVI doesn't carry audio. I don't know if component does.

If it's not an HDTV, you'll be missing out on much of the benefit of this generation of consoles (except for the Wii).

The tv I want to put this on is an older CRT, It has only the coax and RCA inputs.
It's a secondary system in a bedroom. There is a new XBox on the HDTV in the living room.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
The PS3 is also a Bluray player, but you'll only see that benefit on an HDTV. It's also capable of better graphics (at least in theory, if devs take advantage of it), but whatever. I think the 360 is more popular, so it probably has more games.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
PS3 has a better CPU but GPU isn't special. Its just a G70 chip from NV. Not a bad chip at all but not up to snuf against the X1900/HD hybrid chip in the 360. PS3 games more often will be limited to 720 resolutions. They'll also lack FSAA and shadows will not be as rich as 360. RAM/VRAM allocation is rigid unlike the Xbox. PS3 is 256MB split for each, 360 is 512MB shared with 10MB of an ultrafast form of DRAM. Being able to allocate more VRAM is a good benefit. 256MB, at least in PC titles, became a big limiter.

PS3 can do well despite all that. Best examples would be the Uncharted series. But then, Naughty Dog has been masters of doing great things with very little. The potential is there in the PS3 but it is harder to dev for than 360. Suspect that comes into play a lot for the 3rd parties who do cross platform titles.

PS3s used to come with connections for standard TVs. Check Amazon and you'll probably find some aftermarket ones for sub $5. Its a nice system. I'd certainly sell my 360 before I'd sell my PS3.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
PS3 has a better CPU but GPU isn't special. Its just a G70 chip from NV. Not a bad chip at all but not up to snuf against the X1900/HD hybrid chip in the 360. PS3 games more often will be limited to 720 resolutions. They'll also lack FSAA and shadows will not be as rich as 360. RAM/VRAM allocation is rigid unlike the Xbox. PS3 is 256MB split for each, 360 is 512MB shared with 10MB of an ultrafast form of DRAM. Being able to allocate more VRAM is a good benefit. 256MB, at least in PC titles, became a big limiter.

PS3 can do well despite all that. Best examples would be the Uncharted series. But then, Naughty Dog has been masters of doing great things with very little. The potential is there in the PS3 but it is harder to dev for than 360. Suspect that comes into play a lot for the 3rd parties who do cross platform titles.

PS3s used to come with connections for standard TVs. Check Amazon and you'll probably find some aftermarket ones for sub $5. Its a nice system. I'd certainly sell my 360 before I'd sell my PS3.

If i had a ps3 i would probably sell my 360 first, but only because i own two 360's...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:

Thank, you. I appreciate your explination, however ...

This is a used PS3 one of the kids bought off somebody they know, and they just want to hook it up in their room.

To me, the really coolest thing about the PS3 ...

It has a BluRay player !!! :D
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

PS 3 hook-up question