Looking for an old game on Apple II

Online now: No visible users
Hello, new to the forum.

I'm hoping you guys here can help me, I am looking for an old Apple II game that I could just barely remember and I forgot the name.

The game basically goes like this: you are a guy or some sort, and you move around moving blocks in a room level (simply run into the blocks and they move with your on screen guy) and try to form barriers of some sort to block and destroy some snakes or caterpillars or whatever (snakelike) things coming out of the walls trying to get you.

You can go through several levels, all of them rooms with walls of various designs.

I only remember this because it is very easy to get stuck in the game depends on how you position the blocks in such a way that you can't crush the snake/caterpillars/whatever and you can't move the blocks anymore and the game never ends.

Anyways apologies if I can't really describe any better, this is all from memory when I was still about 6-7 years old. (I'm now 32)

Hope someone can tell me the name of the game, or find some screenshots, thanks.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
The Apple II was well before my time, but Wikipedia has a list of games for it. Maybe one of the names will ring a bell. I don't know if it's a complete list or not.

I only looked at a few, but the closest thing I found to your description is Pipe Dream, which was also called "Pipe Mania" in Europe.

Last edited by Macskeeball on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 am.

Thank you very much for your reply and the wikipedia link. It's definitely not pipe dream, I played a bit of that later on Windows.

Yes, I have scanned through that page before and I simply just can't remember the name and none of the listed ones seem familiar. Also, because the some game pages are incomplete, I can not determine it by the screenshot. I know that if I can see the screenshot or at least a description I will be able to identify it, but I can't identify by name.

I can remember and find other games that I've played before, like Hard Hat Mack, Wavy Navy etc.. just want to see if I could find that one.

I even tried to look in yourtube search, it doesn't seem to be there. Hopefully some of you will know.

Just to add to the descriptions of the game, the graphic is quite simplistic, kinda like Pacman top-down-style simplicity.. not the more 'advance' kind of graphics. There are also multiple snake-centipede things that come out of the walls, and you start out with an empty room and the snakes/whatever come out one-by-one. If I recall correctly, as you progress through the level, more and more snakes/whatever come out.

I will take some time to browse through the pages 1 by 1.

P.S. I just looked through the list and spotted what may have been it "Bug Attack" a Centipede clone, but it's not it. So I guess the most obvious name aren't the game. Funny I know how to call the game when I was younger but now I simply can't remember what it is. I do know that the name is it's a 'big' word that I didn't understand its meaning at that age but know how to read it.

Last edited by mtec on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 am.

Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Try browsing Moby Games. It lets you do a lot of drilling down with various criteria to help narrow down the list of games to what you're looking for.
I searched through moby games. If I go by category 'top down' alone, none of the games listed in there is the one I am looking.

I think this game simply disappeared quietly and completely forgotten...

Thanks for the help, appreciate it
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
For some reason, Moby Games has the IIgs (and only the IIgs) as a completely separate platform from the Apple II maybe it's filed under there somewhere. http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/apple2gs/
A quick search and the IIGS is a much later model (the one I had was one of the oldest Apple II my dad got very early on and only gave to me and my siblings for gaming when he got another machine) and so I think that may not be it. I also skimmed through the (quite short list) in 'top down' category, and those titles have names that describe the type of game they are and probably none are what I want. Perhaps they are not listed in 'top down', but i bookmarked the site and will go through it.

Can anyone point me to a Apple II forum that isn't deserted? Most forums I search looked like they are quite empty...
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Try the RetroMacCast. You could contact the podcasts hosts or try their forum. You could also wait for someone else to reply to this thread. I wasn't even 2 when the last Apple II came out, so I never used one and can't give as good an answer.
Claimed, suck it Duke.
Actually the description sounds vaguely familiar. Trouble is, I haven't touched one of those machines in maybe a third of a century, so my memory is pretty hazy.

I think the only Apple II games I can recall by name are:

Lode Runner (awesome)
Jumpman (and Jumpman Jr.)
Hard Hat Mack

Could it be Pengo?

You also might want to check the list of MAME ROMs to see if the names jog your memory.
Macskeeball wrote:
Try the RetroMacCast.

I'll try that soon, thanks. Much appreciated.

Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Could it bePengo?

:D
No, it's not Pengo, but ooh, very close.. It's definitely something like that, but with simpler and smaller graphics, and you can't 'shoot' the blocks (or at least, I didn't know how back then) and the enemies are snakes or caterpillars, where you have to move blocks into a barricade, block them in and then crush them. My memory of it is so fuzzy that I can't even remember the splash screen, or anything else. I just remember the level I got stuck in because I had put the blocks like this:

('B' are blocks, '|' & - are walls and 'o' is part of the 'snake')

|B
|BBB
|oBB
|------

..so and as a result I can't crush the snake(I'll just assume they are snakes now) coming out of the wall since there is no way to push diagonally, or push two blocks at once so the game never ended for me..

Now if it's to add to the description more, I *think* when the snakes come out they make a low tone click sound with each movement. I THINK.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Hehe, this reminds of the time I went back and finished Pitfall on an Atari 2600 emulator, about 20 years after the game was released.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Metacell wrote:
Hehe, this reminds of the time I went back and finished Pitfall on an Atari 2600 emulator, about 20 years after the game was released.

You never finish Pitfall. You just return to the start and keep going. It only "ends" when you die.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I used to play a submarine game on a Mac Plus at college back in the 80s. Does anybody remember what that game was called?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Pithecanthropus wrote:
I used to play a submarine game on a Mac Plus at college back in the 80s. Does anybody remember what that game was called?

Gato?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gato_(video_game)
dv
Pithecanthropus wrote:

There was a Hunt for Red October video game we had.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu wrote:
Metacell wrote:

You never finish Pitfall. You just return to the start and keep going. It only "ends" when you die.

Not true, it ends if you find all the treasures under the time limit. When the game was first released they offered T-Shirts to anyone supplying a screenshot showing the final score.
apple2e4ever
OP, I found this thread via a Google search trying to find the name of a game I used to love as a kid, which I believe is the very likely the same game you are asking about. And I found it! If we're talking about the same game, it's called LADY TUT. Just google it and see if the screenshots flood you with nostalgia like they did for me!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Looking for an old game on Apple II