New Mac. Time for a new game.

Online now: No visible users
New Mac: Which new Game?
57% 57% [ 4 ]
43% 43% [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
So I decided against a hackintosh and am picking up a new iMac. (2.5 ghzQC i5 w/ radeon 6750)
I played Soldier of Fortune 2 (MP ctf) for years on my G5 till all the good servers got abandoned.
My old clan now plays BF3, CoD MW3 & Star Wars TOR. (among others) I'll obviously be running boot camp (winders 7). Which of bf3 & mw3 might have better mp ctf play? I'm getting one or the other. Will one perform better than the other on that iMac? I've never played an rpg, SW TOR fun?

Last edited by Freakout Jackson on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:32 pm.

mmaverick my steady systematic decline
sw is fun. I've actually gone back to playing Rome:total war.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
For CTF/domination play, go BF3. MW3 is more or less a glorified expansion pack. But it will run better on that because...well, its just a heavily modded Quake 3 Arena engine. For BF3, you won't be running it on Ultra, but I think High may be possible. The difference in the graphics isn't super drastic. You can enable a lot of good effects while trimming others for performance.

SWTOR is a blast. It is still in infancy but it is very well done. It will play more like an RPG than an MMO. But the MMO elements are all there and there is a healthy endgame. I love it. My guild just finished Eternity Vault and I gotta say...some of the funnest fight mechanics I've seen since Ulduar. Great stuff.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
I'd like to nominate Skyrim for the 'please leave me alone, I just wanna kill dragons' game.

I haven't played any BF game yet for fear of getting sucked into another franchise. ;)
My assistant loves BF3. Says the graphics beat the snot out of MW3 and is so much more fun.
BF3 it is then.
Fortunately I don't have to pay for windows.
I played SoF on a 64mb vid card for years. I'm sure I'll be satisfied with vid settings turned down. So I'm not too worried about performance.
Anyone with 1st hand bootcamp/iMac/BF3 experience?
My sons gonna love that SW tor game so I think I'll pick that up too.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I might have to pick up Skyrim eventually as well, of course it will be for the PC.
you should play UT99. that should play it at max settings.
FoJ, if you decide to play ToR, create a character on the server named "Hyperspace Cannon"

The guild I am in is fairly small, but most of us are Geezers and so there is a nice group of mature folk to play alongside. I will also set you up with some decent gear and a chunk of credits to make your early experiences a little more enjoyable.

edit: Oh... we are a Sith guild, so if you want to be a Jedi, we cant help you :D Bounty Hunter is fun though... as is the two Sith force user classes. It is always more fun to shoot lightning than throw a rock. :D
Warin wrote:
FoJ, if you decide to play ToR, create a character on the server named "Hyperspace Cannon"

The guild I am in is fairly small, but most of us are Geezers and so there is a nice group of mature folk to play alongside. I will also set you up with some decent gear and a chunk of credits to make your early experiences a little more enjoyable.

edit: Oh... we are a Sith guild, so if you want to be a Jedi, we cant help you :D Bounty Hunter is fun though... as is the two Sith force user classes. It is always more fun to shoot lightning than throw a rock. :D

But what if I don't want to be hyperspace cannon? [/snarkywayofsayingidontgetit]
;)

Thanks for the offer! I'll keep you posted.
:up:

I can almost smell that new Mac smell™
There are many many servers to play on. You can only interact with people on the same server and with the same faction.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and such.
There is a server named Space Slug...no kidding either :D

And if you get to pimp your guild then I will too!!

Begeren Colony, RP server...got about a dozen lvl 50s with 32 total members. All mature ex MMO vets...cept maybe one guy...but still, quality players and rocking up the server! Yeah!!! Must like Twileks and Ortolans! :D
RP server? That right there is a reason to avoid it. :p ;)
Funny but most players on the server are straight PVE people. I had a hunch going in that RP servers would avoid the brunt of the moronic players that PVE gets. Sure enough, the overall playerbase is much older and mature. There have been no trade conversations about Chuck Norris or vulgar move comparisons. Group make up is generally fantastic too. I've yet to really run into real "bad" players. I've also ran into others that did the same thing I did. They are PVE people that just hated normal servers because of the communities they'd get. Only ran into a handful that were maybe sub 3 year WoW vets. Brunt are all 5+ years with EQ exp.
Metacell Guilty the Wang
I have that same imac setup and it can run just about every game I've tried so far with maximum settings, no problem. But I haven't tried Crysis yet.
The more I look into it the more interested in SW tor I'm getting.
I'm only gonna get one game right now…
Star Wars the old republic or BF 3?
Whadda ya think?
Honestly this is too subjective a question to be answered by anyone else but you, Freakout Jackson.

A guy I knew (since retired) absolutely LOVED all of the Sims games: SimCity, Sim<whatever>. I found those games interesting enough to learn the barebones basics but ultimately boring to play. Before he retired he would sometimes recommend games to me which I politely listened to and promptly forgot because, ultimately, we wanted different things from games.
DEyncourt wrote:
Honestly this is too subjective a question to be answered by anyone else but you, Freakout Jackson.

I'm asking for subjective opinions (I know this bunch).
Its a non binding thing this forum.
I think I'll have fun with either and may end up getting both.
:shrug:
I say starwars, even though I can no longer play it as I gave my computer back to my girlfriend :(
HALFWAY THROUGH A TOTAL WAR CAMPAIGN
Metacell Guilty the Wang
I have to say, Lucas has better quality control over his games than his movies.
is that because he has less control on the games?
Get Battlefield 3 for your 360 and ToR for the computer! Problem solved ;)
*BUMP*
Someone just told me SW TOR requires a paid subscription.....true?
If so I'm not interested..... EDIT: confirmed, fiddlesticks that.

So I'm now rethinking; BF3 or COD MW which will run better on the iMac?

(Tangent: Played BF3 & Skyrim for the 1st time on a PS3 last night. Holy crap!)
Battlefield 3 is, in almost every way, superior to Modern Warfare... And I own both.

And yeah, TOR is subscriptiOn based. If ou want to try a sci if themed mmo with no fees, Star Trek Online is now free to play.
Warin wrote:
Battlefield 3 is, in almost every way, superior to Modern Warfare... And I own both.

And yeah, TOR is subscriptiOn based. If ou want to try a sci if themed mmo with no fees, Star Trek Online is now free to play.

I only played the single player 1st level (subway) of BF3 last night on the PS3 but I have to say I was floored. Never seen MW3.
Hopefully I'll be up and running by next weekend. You play BF3 MP online? Any favorite servers?
That Star Trek looks cool but I'm more of a BSG guy.
;)
I do, but only on the 360.
yeah but sto is free to play because it sucks...
Its not that new as a game now, but there was a really cool game that came out last year or so called Amnesia. It's a horror/Adventure game, but not a shooter. It's all atmospheric as opposed to violent and gory.
New Mac: Which new Game?
57% 57% [ 4 ]
43% 43% [ 3 ]
Total votes : 7
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

New Mac. Time for a new game.