Any good games left out there?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: No visible users
Orion Mad Cow
I've been playing a bunch of older games lately in an effort to have fun while not spending more money on new games just now. Hasn't been as fun as I had hoped. I just got done with Diablo II and I was bored out of my tree the entire time, but I finished it just to say I had. Its so repetitive, that its sad. Enter room, kill 25 zombies/skeletons/monsters/etc, then move to the next, rinse, lather, repeat. My barbarian got to the point where I would just do the whirlwind attack most of the time and simply wipe out everything in the area. It wasn't even challenging after a while. I was just about to install Doom III for a change of pace, but then I remembered that I had gotten sick of that one years ago. Turn a corner, monster warps in and growls/screams/snaps at you, empty clip into it, move on, rinse, lather, repeat. The first play through was awesome, but it got old quick.

Are there any games out there that aren't a one trick pony like those? I was thinking of buying Skyrim based on the thread here, but I don't want to spend $60 and hate it. I like a game that has action but also requires a bit of critical thinking and strategy to figure out. The Marathon series comes to mind. Not only did you have to kill aliens, but you had to figure out the puzzles to advance to the next level. I also liked Starcraft because you could build your base as you saw fit and accomplish the mission in your own way. Many modern games seem to focus more on the action and graphics and less on the puzzles and whatnot. I remember liking the Thief series because there were so many ways to accomplish a goal and you weren't being led around by the nose (ie linear path only). What games out there fit these criteria?

I should also mention that I have Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV and loved both of them (just played them too many times so I have to do something else for a while).
chikie The same deviled egg
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Knights Of The Old Republic 1 and 2

World of Goo
dv
You're outgrowing games. Same thing has been happening to me. Sorry. I just hope masturbation never gets old... :paranoid:

The reliably enjoyable ones for me lately were World of Tanks (Windows) and the Pokemon series (just went through a bunch of them, consolidated my little beasties and "caught them all.")

But mostly I've been reading books.

I still play through X-COM 2 at least once a year, rain or shine. With DOSBox. It's still awesome.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Don't recall if you have a Wii, but Skyward Sword is the best Zelda since OoT!

A review I agree with.
You could try the Elder Scrolls before Skyrim. It's still one of the highest rated games of all times, and should be pretty cheap. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion it's called.
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
Portal 2 owns puzzledom
World of Goo kicks ass too.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
chikie wrote:

best game to come out last year.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Orc's Must Die!

Nuff said. Game is just a classic good time. On the same note, Sanctum is great as a FPS tower defense style. The enemy spawn waves change each play so sometimes it can be very brutal or a bit easier.
user Stupid cockwomble
mmaverick wrote:
chikie wrote:

The controls really suck, though, and you can't change them. I got carpal playing the damn game.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Freakout Jackson wrote:
Portal 2 owns puzzledom
World of Goo kicks ass too.

I only played the first one, but yeah Portal is great.
user wrote:
mmaverick wrote:
chikie wrote:

The controls really suck, though, and you can't change them. I got carpal playing the damn game.

I didn't have any problem with the controls on the xbox.
user Stupid cockwomble
chikie wrote:
user wrote:
mmaverick wrote:
chikie wrote:

I didn't have any problem with the controls on the xbox.

Pushing in the right button for the iron sights is not ergonomic. I looked online and I'm not the only one who had problems with it.
That makes sense. I never used the iron sights... I got the laser sight for my pistol as soon as I could and used that as my primary weapon.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Orion wrote:
I have Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV and loved both of them.

Then you'll like Skyrim but as mentioned before you can pick up Oblivion used cheap now. My first couple hours with Skyrim I kept saying 'this is like Fallout 3 but with dragons, swords and spells'. However Skyrim has more puzzles in it.

Suppose you don't have a RedBox near you. Last weekend when Jr and I wanted to play Skyrim at the same time I rented Skyrim at RedBox for a couple bucks. Nice way to try before you buy.

I have Oblivion, impulse buy, used. Haven't played it yet. That goes for Mass Effect 2 as well. I liked Mass Effect 1. All can be had for $20 or less new or used.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo is out now. Watched some game play trailers yesterday and downloaded the demo. Looks promising. R A Salvatore (Drizzt) wrote the world background and parts of the story line. Todd McFarlane (Spawn) worked on art and visuals. The game looks like WoW but seems to play like Skyrim with a little bit of God Of War thrown in. Due out Feb. 7th.

So in answer to your question is Yes. Besides games already mentioned.
The Elder Scrolls games (Daggerfall (MS-DOS), Marrowind (Xbox/PC), Oblivion (360/PC) & Skyrim(360/PC))
Dragon Age I & II
Mass Effect I & II
Fallout 3 DLC (I picked up the DLC disk that had everything on it for $20)
Borderlands
Fable II & III (Played through Fable II. Didn't hate it or love it. Just kinda Meh, it was a game that played well.)

Looking at gamestop.com most of these are $20 or less. They even have a Bioshock/Oblivion combo for $25.

Freakout Jackson wrote:
Portal 2 owns puzzledom

Yup. You can pick up Orange Box fairly cheaply too. With that you get Half-Life 2, HL2 Ep 1 & 2, Portal 1 and Team Fortress. Note tho Portal 1 with a controller is tough.
macnuke Afar
solitaire.
chess with another player.
poker for multi player.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Multiple player First person shooters. Stay away from the games with high twitch factors.

Realism games are best for that. Arma 2.

Red Orchestra, Darkest Hour, Red Orchestra 2.
yeah, that way you can play with sturner and the other 3 people that play them!
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Note tho Portal 1 with a controller is tough.

Really? I always preferred fps with a mouse and nostromo by far but portal is so chill I find the controller fine
(never though about it till your post in fact)
I would love to be able to play Portal with my Wiimote for the firing and my nun chuck for the moving.
What platform? If you have a 360, get Red Dead Redemption. It kicks butt.

On the PC, Grand Theft Auto IV is a lot of fun.
Oh yeah, Red Dead Redemption is amazing. LOVE IT.

Also the Fallout series is super amazing.
Freakout Jackson wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

Really? I always preferred fps with a mouse and nostromo by far but portal is so chill I find the controller fine

In comparison to me it was. My first round with Portal was on the PC. I pickup up OB used for the 360 and found Portal much more challenging with a controller. Especially on those few puzzles where you had to be quick and accurate. For me accuracy has always been the problem with a controller. I'm just too heavy thumbed on the stick, worse if excited (AKA getting chased, hunted). Yeah, primary reason I've moved from PC gaming is that the Lazy Boy isn't in front of my PC. ;)

The Xim 3 has cured that tho. Xim 3 + G5 Mouse + N52 Nostro (original) = In console gaming heaven. OXM's review of the Xim 3 is correct. You do end up drowning in wires. hehe.
sturner Ancient Soldier
mmaverick wrote:
yeah, that way you can play with sturner and the other 3 people that play them!

You're just jealous of my superior aiming abilities.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:
LLEVIATHANN wrote:

In comparison to me it was. My first round with Portal was on the PC. I pickup up OB used for the 360 and found Portal much more challenging with a controller. Especially on those few puzzles where you had to be quick and accurate. For me accuracy has always been the problem with a controller. I'm just too heavy thumbed on the stick, worse if excited (AKA getting chased, hunted). Yeah, primary reason I've moved from PC gaming is that the Lazy Boy isn't in front of my PC. ;)

The Xim 3 has cured that tho. Xim 3 + G5 Mouse + N52 Nostro (original) = In console gaming heaven. OXM's review of the Xim 3 is correct. You do end up drowning in wires. hehe.

Wow that xim3 looks awesome. I'd own my son in Halo if I could use a mouse & my nostromo!
No way I'm dropping another $150 on the Xbox though.
Nuclear Dawn
It's a Real Time Strategy integrated with 1st Person Shooter and is open to the community with DEV Tools and Server Scripts.
Freakout Jackson wrote:
No way I'm dropping another $150 on the Xbox though.

I know. Spent couple months hemming and hawing, forum lurking, trying to decide to take the plunge. My excuse is 'I don't golf'. ;)

Glad I did. I don't get frustrated any more due to too twitchy controls or lack of customization. It wasn't about money. It was about enjoying or getting more enjoyment out of FPS games on the 360. Too often I'd see myself at the bottom of the score, saying 'I'm better than that! I know I am!'. I was a fairly competent PC gamer. WTF happened? I narrowed it down to movement acceleration*. I haven't been able to adapt to it and it was throwing my game off. My snap to target, lock on is way inaccurate. Tried to slow the movement down but even with that I'd still over compensate and over shoot targets.

With the Xim I'm an asset to the team again and not just a bullet sponge. That's a good feeling.

*Movement Acceleration: Is when the more you move the stick the faster you turn. Each game has a different breaking point where fast becomes faster.
Also: Dead Island is fun.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Also: Dead Island is fun.

Yeah it's so much fun, I get motion sick from the way the POV sways.
Metacell Guilty the Wang
Diablo III should be out any time.

Games I've liked:
Bioshock
Neverwinter Nights I & II
Knights of the old Republic I & II
Every game in the Unreal series
and if all else fails,
Redneck Rampage I, II, & III
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I hear Myst is really good.
so yes, to answer your question there are lots of good games out there.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
There are literally no good game left out there.
Metacell Guilty the Wang
Yar's Revenge is good!
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Currently downloading Skyrim to my PC.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
Hawken isn't out for 10 more months, but it looks to be shaping up into something nifty.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
arkayn wrote:
Currently downloading Skyrim to my PC.

And of course since I bought it yesterday, guess what shows up today.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/skyrim_midweek
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
That is why when it comes to steam, always wait for the sales. Unless you really want something via preorder.
Ender bug hunter
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2

I've really enjoyed and replayed each of those.

Bioshock 2 was playable on the xbox, but I definitely prefered Bioshock 1&2 on PC.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Any good games left out there?

Page: 1, 2