Kidsafe Xbox live...is it possible?

Online now: Google [Bot]
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
OK so the boy (11yo) is buying himself an Xbox with $ he saved. (w00t!)
We're using the occasion to bend our standards a bit and we're getting him halo 3, halo 3 odst, & halo reach. All games his friends play. These will be the only M games he plays but he's earned the trust.
Now his buddies play online and that's obviously a huge draw. I've played fps multiplayer enough to know I need to take some real control so I'm turning to you since I have zero xbl experience.
What's possible?
What's practical?
What's still fun?
TechnoBill Freakazoid
If you don't want him to hear "bad language" don't let him use a pair of headphones. FPS games are rife with foul mouthed kiddos that love to prove how "hardcore" they are by running their mouths and attacking verbally.

I don't use my headphones at all anymore for just that reason. The twerps have ruined FPS voice chat for me. When you get it all set up pop into a game or two and listen to the discourse. You will be shocked when you hear some super young sounding voice tell someone else to suck their rooster and that the other player is their uncouth individual over and over and over non-stop. Trash talking is one thing. These little morons take it to a whole other level.
TechnoBill wrote:
If you don't want him to hear "bad language" don't let him use a pair of headphones. FPS games are rife with foul mouthed kiddos that love to prove how "hardcore" they are by running their mouths and attacking verbally.

I don't use my headphones at all anymore for just that reason. The twerps have ruined FPS voice chat for me. When you get it all set up pop into a game or two and listen to the discourse. You will be shocked when you hear some super young sounding voice tell someone else to suck their rooster and that the other player is their uncouth individual over and over and over non-stop. Trash talking is one thing. These little morons take it to a whole other level.

Um, I know. That's why I started this thread.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I'll echo what bill said and also mention that the halo series probably attracts the worst of this, followed by the COD series. I have yet to be called a gay kitty cigarette in Catan.
I get all that. Again. That's why I started this thread.
What realistic limits can I set?
We don't even have the xbox yet so I have no idea what xbl allows me to control.
Honestly, FoJ, I think that rather than the parental controls you really only need to have a chat with your son about appropriate behaviour on his part... And set a rule that he can only voice chat with his friends in a party, since XBL party chat mutes the game chat, which is a very good thing. I don't know whether my son trash talks when he is at home, but at my house he knows that inappropriate language is good for an Xbox free week or two. Otherwise, I trust him.
Don't listen to mmaverick, he's a pussyfag.
Warin wrote:
Honestly, FoJ, I think that rather than the parental controls you really only need to have a chat with your son about appropriate behaviour on his part... And set a rule that he can only voice chat with his friends in a party, since XBL party chat mutes the game chat, which is a very good thing. I don't know whether my son trash talks when he is at home, but at my house he knows that inappropriate language is good for an Xbox free week or two. Otherwise, I trust him.

OK XBL party chat. Cool. That's the kind of info I wanted. Sounds like you can't turn OFF (ie parental controlled password) game chat though huh? Just trust him not to turn it on? I can live with that. Sounds like we have similar boundries.

And there's Sinky right on cue. :roll:
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
The way I interpreted Warin's post is that you do have the option to disable game chat, but Warin chooses not to do that. But I don't have Xbox either.

Relevant support pages:
Online safety and privacy settings
Parental controls

More about XBL for families: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/family
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Here's some pointers and suggestions. Things that I currently do for my 12yo (to be 13 in March). Prior to him getting online he has attended two online safety courses our local police do a couple times a year. I highly recommend something like them if available around you. Hearing the dos and don'ts from parents is one thing. Getting it from someone in uniform is another.

First DO NOT set the account up as a minor. Doing that will lock that gamertag out from playing M games until 17.

Once the account (gamertag) is done and you're online. Set everything to private or friends only, use your discretion. Most of it is fairly straight forward and clear.

If you don't do anything, at least do this one! Set the chat to friends only. No need to make any deals on how to chat. No worries on who's he's chatting with cause you just locked it to 'Friends Only'. Meaning that's the only voices he'll hear. The rest is dropped. So TechBill if you want your headphones back just change your chat settings. All that said at times I have heard some bleed through but it's rare. Only deal to make is that if he changes it he'll <insert punishment here>. THE BEST OPTION in XBL IMHO.

Change chat settings:
Specify your online safety settings:

On the controller, press the Guide button.
Go to Settings and select Privacy
Select Customize.
Select Voice and Text, then select Friends Only.
Select Save and Exit.

Note If you are using a child account on Xbox LIVE, the parent account must approve this change. AND Can't play M games in case you missed the first warning.

Here's Jr's XBL settings:

Online safety settings don't automatically change with age. If you choose Child or Teen, you may want to come back and adjust these settings as this member gets older.

Activities:

Decide who to communicate with using voice and text on Xbox LIVE. This includes voice and text chat, messaging, and game invites.
Voice and Text: Friends Only

Decide who to interact with using video on Xbox LIVE. Video communication includes Video Kinect and in-game video chat.
Video Communication: Friends Only

Privacy Controls

Decide who can see this profile. A profile includes motto, personal picture, name, bio, and location, if you have provided that information.
Profile Sharing: Friends Only (Note here: It's all optional. You can leave the profile blank if you want to)

Decide who can see this profile's game history. Game history includes the games played and achievements.
Game History: Friends Only

Decide who can see this profile's online status. Online status includes current online activity, like what's being played now and availability to play.
Online Status: Friends Only

Decide who can see the titles of the videos or music being played. If online status is blocked, content status is also blocked.
Video and Music Status: Blocked

Decide who can see this player's friends list. A friends list includes access to friends and their profiles.
Friends List: Friends Only

Decide whether to allow Microsoft to collect samples of voice commands spoken when in Kinect games and experiences. This helps Microsoft to improve speech recognition.
Voice Data Collection: Blocked

Decide whether you want content created with Kinect to be shared outside of Xbox LIVE. Video and Voice Communication in Video Kinect or Messenger on Xbox LIVE are controlled by the Video Communication and Voice and Text Communication settings.
Kinect Sharing: Blocked

Decide whether activity can be shared on social networks outside Xbox LIVE.
Social Network Sharing: Blocked

Content Controls

Decide whether to receive standard or family Xbox LIVE programming. Programming includes game and video offers and promotions on Xbox Dashboard.
Programming: Family

Decide whether to see other people's profiles. A profile includes information about a member's game history and achievements. It can also contain a gamer's motto and personal info, which you may find inappropriate.
Profile Viewing: Friends Only

Decide whether to see member-created content on Xbox LIVE. Member content includes images, text, and custom content in games and profiles, which you may find inappropriate. This setting doesn't prevent download of indie games.
Member Content: Friends Only

Do you want to allow marketplace access to explicit music, explicit music videos, and mature Windows Phone games? This setting doesn’t affect content of these types already downloaded to your computer, Xbox console, and phone.
Music, Music Videos and Windows Phone Games: Blocked

Last edited by lleviathann on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 pm.

Crap I left out the best part. Get yourself an Xbox, play with him and bust his friends out when they misbehave.

"I'm so sorry Mr. FoJ please don't tell my mom!"

;) :p :lol:

Other things I do:

Once a month we go through his Friends List. If he can't tell me who it belongs to it's gone.

He has to play in the Living Room AKA not private and very visible. If he's done something wrong he gets corrected on the spot. If bad enough he's done for the day/week. (Like yesterday he threw his controller out of anger and frustration. He was done for the day after that.)

Again I play with him to help set a good example.

In the end to answer your questions the settings above I think do a decent job keeping Jr away from asses yet be accessible to his buddies. I keep saying don't use the child settings. You can but be prepared to enter in your parental password every time a M game is played. I just think the child setting is a little to restrictive and has MS do the parenting instead of me.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
:lots of good advice:

Awesome post(s). Thanks.
:up:
Thanks. Mostly copypasta from xbox.com.

Speaking of xbox.com. Good place to visit. Neat thing is I can log on with Jr's gamertag from anywhere see if he's online, what's he playing, any messages there, friends list, just about everything account wise can be looked at. Even send him a message but that's has to be done from my gamertag.

Go one step further and sign up for XBL Rewards (http://rewards.xbox.com/). For spam it's not bad but I get a monthly stat email on him. Every game and best of all how many minutes (hours) he's played in a month. Most played game and so on. For the little bit of spam it sends the stat email is worth it.

Crappy thing is I want that stat email for myself and can't for the life in me figure out how to enable it. I'm sure it was somewhere in the setup process that I skipped for myself but turned on for him. Going back I can't find where to turn it on. Oh well I can at least log into rewards and get the stats.
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Relax. Relaaaaxxxx.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Relax. Relaaaaxxxx.

Howboutthis?
If you have nothing to contribute, stay out of my threads.
This is probably the 3rd in a week that you've show up just to troll.
Still posting "everytiing you think™".
No cure for diarrhea of the keyboard yet?
Freakout Jackson wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Relax. Relaaaaxxxx.

Howboutthis?

I wasn't trolling you, I was horsing around with mmaverick. You're perfectly fine with getting wasted at me in your threads.

I suggest you relax. Or at least keep it to PMs.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Relax. Relaaaaxxxx.

Howboutthis?

I wasn't trolling you, I was horsing around with mmaverick. You're perfectly fine with getting wasted at me in your threads.

I suggest you relax. Or at least keep it to PMs.

I suggest you leave™ again.
Another tool that may come into play. I hope you never have to use it but kids will be kids. The Block All Communication option.

It was one of those friend of a friend's sister's brother's next door neighbor thing. Jr accepted his friend request so he could hear him while they played but it got ugly. The kid got all wasted off and started with the adolescent kid human waste (name calling, mother jokes and so on). Well Jr kicked him out of the party and de-friended him but then the text messages started coming in. After the second one Jr showed me. I reported the prick and then used the block all communications. Done. No more harassment.

Not bad to know about if there's someone absolutely don't want to associate with.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
XBL...you will never find a more immature, moronic, infantile, foul mouthed, hive of scum and villany...

And that is a very sugar coated description of the playerbase.

Heaven help us when they finally breed...I don't want to think about it. It would be like Starship Troopers, cept with kids firing flaming plasma balls from their butts instead of giant beetles.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
XBL...you will never find a more immature, moronic, infantile, foul mouthed, hive of scum and villany...

And that is a very sugar coated description of the playerbase.

Heaven help us when they finally breed...I don't want to think about it. It would be like Starship Troopers, cept with kids firing flaming plasma balls from their butts instead of giant beetles.

4chan.

what do I win?
::Bumpdate™::

Lived with the xbox for a few weeks now. Turning off game chat seems to be enough for now on the parental control front. :up:
I must say I'm shocked to see what my sons friends are playing (seemingly unmonitored) which leads me to believe that his friends are chatting unsupervised as well.
:brow:

The boy™ got loaded up with games for xmas.
*Halo 3/ODST/Reach
*Batman Arkham City
*Battlefield Bad Company
*H.A.W.X.
FIFA 12
Forza 4
Burnout: Paradise
NCAA Football

and I got Portal 2 (Best game ever)

*=Restricted Playing time

To try to keep it from taking over our lives the rules are thus:
No screen time at all Tue & thurs (except for homework)
2 hours xbox M/W/F - Max 1 hour restricted games
3 hours xbox weekend days - Max 2 hours restricted games

I must say that the only negativity related to gaming I've seen from him is playing FIFA.
He's a very good soccer player IRL
:lol:
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
The first Bad Company was good till last year. Then it got a lot of hackers and nasty players in it. But...for Single Player...still the best story. Thats combining both BC2 and BF3.
It's actually quite horrifying how unmonitored a lot of kids are nowadays. Are parents clueless or what?
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Are parents clueless or what?

For sure. Jr wanted me to get him a Grand Theft game for Christmas. Looked him dead in the eye and said 'Hell no!'
But, but Jimmy and our cousins can play it.
Good from them and I'm glad we don't have your uncle in the will to take care you guys if something were to happen.
What?
Nevermind. The answer is still no. I'm not going to have you killing cops and beating up hookers for fun. Killing Grubs and terrorist is ok but I do have a line and that game crosses it...repeatedly.
LLEVIATHANN wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Are parents clueless or what?

For sure. Jr wanted me to get him a Grand Theft game for Christmas. Looked him dead in the eye and said 'Hell no!'
But, but Jimmy and our cousins can play it.
Good from them and I'm glad we don't have your uncle in the will to take care you guys if something were to happen.
What?
Nevermind. The answer is still no. I'm not going to have you killing cops and beating up hookers for fun. Killing Grubs and terrorist is ok but I do have a line and that game crosses it...repeatedly.

One of my son's (11yo) friends is on every other night at 2am playing Gears of War. :squint:
I've gotten on his mic and told kids to go to bed. :twisted:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Kidsafe Xbox live...is it possible?