Farkle

Online now: No visible users
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I picked up Farkle tonight at Target. It was a whopping $5.

My daughter mentioned it to me and said she would like to get a set so we could play together. I guess she learned of it from some friends or something. I've never played it but I read the directions and it sounds pretty fun. I can't wait to play it with her.

I think I need to establish a game night for the two of us. I figure it would be a nice way to stay connected and talk while having a good time and not making talking a forced sort of thing.

:shrug:

What games (dice/cards/board) do you like to play?
TechnoBill Freakazoid
Crap.

I just noticed that I posted this in the Chat Room and not in Games.

:/
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I moved it here. I thought it would get more views.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I moved it here so ot wouldn't detract from skyrim
I moved it here because I'm evil incarnate.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I play Farkle on Facebook.
How old is your daughter? For players of all skill level and most ages (say 7 and up or so), I would recommend Ticket to Ride. You will want the 1910 expansion, both for the greater number of routes to complete, and the larger card size. Ticket to Ride is a fun game where you collect cards and try to complete routes from one city to another. For two players there is also a version of the game that is better than the regular US version, but I do not recall which one it is.

If she is a little older (say 12+, maybe 10+), The Settlers of Catan is possibly the best game ever made. In Settlers you build settlements, cities, and roads to try to get 10 points. The things you build produce resources based on what hexagon they border. Again, though, it is not a great two player game.

For two players, I also quite like Pandemic. It should be good down to age 12 or so, again maybe even 10. It is a cooperative game, where the players work together to stop a global disease pandemic. Either the players all win, or the players all lose. It has variable difficulty levels (Easy, Normal, Hard, Heroic), and within a difficult level the more players you have the harder it is to win; it is pretty easy with two on hard mode, whereas I don't think we've ever beaten even easy mode with a full 5 players. I would recommend the On The Brink expansions for this one, which adds more rolls, more special actions, some different gameplay modes to keep it fresh, and really awesome realistic petri dishes to keep the disease cubes and other pieces in.

Ticket and Settlers are available at Toys'R'Us and Barnes and Noble (I don't know about Target). You also could find any of these games online, or at a local board game store if there is one around you. Board game stores tend to be staffed by people who know a TON about games, and can recommend somethings based on what you tell them about the potential players, though if the store caters mostly to collectable card games and miniatures they may know less about the details of the board games.
I hate ticket to ride so much! you don't kill anything!

you should play Arkham horror, teach the girl what the real world is like!

more exclamation points!
on a serious note. +1 for Catan and pandemic.
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
We have a chest of drawers packed with games. We go through phases.
Our family/friend thing though is Euchre. It's an almost exclusively midwest thing. Almost a birthright. My wife is from Indiana & I learned in college in Ohio. We've taught friends here in Seattle and have a monthly Euchre potluck.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
Carcassonne is essentially a stripped down version of Catan, but just as fun I'd wager.
Having played a LOT Settlers and a fair amount of Carcassonne, they are not really alike at all. Carcassonne is a very slow-paced game. I like it a lot, but most of the people I play games with do not enjoy it at all. In fact, I haven't played in over a year because nobody else wants to play it.
my favourite game might be shadows over Camelot, but it's best played with a decent sized group. that traitor is such a son of a uncouth individual!
The Battlestar Galactica board game is AMAZING, and uses a hidden traitor mechanic for the Cylons. Everything is super well implemented. However it is about 4 hours long.
so... too short?
does it have a set amount of turns in a game? that usually really annoys me.
Nope. It runs until the humans jump away and win, or until the humans lose.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Farkle