Online now: No visible users
LeeBarnes Royal Wombat
My PS3 just got the blinking red light of death! :cry:

I guess my options are:

1. Try to fix it myself
2. Send it to Sony and pay out the rear
3. Buy a new one

:(

I was in the middle of watching netflix when it froze and shut down. Now that my PS3 is dead and my dish network account is temporarily suspended, my options are:

1. Reconnect the rooftop antenna and watch the locals
2. Watch DVDs on my computer
3. Try to connect my old PS2 to my big screen and watch DVDs
4. Read a book Image
dv
TechnoBill Freakazoid
Yeah, Apple TV is nice and all, but for a storageless streaming device the Roku can't be beat.
Sucks. Mine is still YOD since this summer from to much GT5. I had the opportunity to get it fixed but used the money for a 3DS instead.
LeeBarnes Royal Wombat
yeah, I thought of a standalone netflix player. I just looked how much they are and I don't think it's too bad. I may look for one.

I just want my PS3 back. Many of the "quick-fixes" I find on a google search look like they only work for a little while, possibly enough to get your game data off the HD. I wonder, IF I bought a new PS3 (not that I can afford it right now), I could temporarily swap the HD and get the data somehow that way.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I think (at least I think read somewhere) that you can image the hard drive if you remove it from the PS3 and then copy the image to the new drive expanding the image to fit the bigger drive if necessary.
LeeBarnes Royal Wombat
Well, the hairdryer method seems to have worked, for now.

I removed the HDD, wrapped the PS3 in a towel, stuck it in it's original box (upside down), and ran a hairdryer (on highest setting) across the back vents for 20 minutes. Then, I put a fan blowing into the box and let the PS3 cool down to room temp.

I just plugged everything back in and turned it on. To my amazement, it's working again. But from what I've read it's only a matter of time before it fails again. Could be after 10 mins of use, could be next month. :shrug:

If I only had an external USB drive to back everything up, or a PSN Plus account to back up online. I have a Memory Stick, but it's only 16MB so it's not MUCH use, but I could at least get most of my game save data.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Someday all of our PS3s will die. All we can hope for is that we've been able to use our Mass Effect 2 data for a Mass Effect 3 play through by then.

Good luck.
To answer the 2 questions, no. You can't remove and image the hd, its a proprietary format and your OS won't mount or even aknowlege it and if you bought a new PS3 and put the old ones hd in it the PS3 would begin a reformat of the hd to ensure security of downloaded psn content. The only way to get your save data transfered is by going into sys settings and selectung to backup your save data than you can restore the data on another system, but you will have to redownload your psn purchases. to avoid that you can daisy chain the old ps3 to tge new one and do a sys transfer.
LeeBarnes Royal Wombat
...and it's down again.

and my hair dryer stopped working.

gah
sturner Ancient Soldier
God, it certainly sucks to be you.
God does not want Lee to play games.
LeeBarnes Royal Wombat
Well, if it's any consultation, I didn't have to do jury duty last week. :D I just had to go up there and sit for three hours until they released myself and the others that didn't get picked.
LeeBarnes wrote:
Well, if it's any consultation, I didn't have to do jury duty last week. :D I just had to go up there and sit for three hours until they released myself and the others that didn't get picked.

OMG! Lee Barnes is Dogberry! :D

I keep thinking I should buy a PS3, but the last one I had really was just a pricy BD player.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

well crap. (ps3)