Blizzard Anti-TOR Tactics

Online now: Google [Bot]
TechnoBill Freakazoid
It appears that Blizzard is looking to lock in subscribers for a 12 month contract to World of Warcraft in exchange for a free copy of Diablo III.

This keeps people playing WoW instead of possibly migrating over to TOR. In theory.

Blizzard must be a little bit nervous to be making such offers before the game (TOR) is even released.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/10/blizz ... iablo-iii/
I don't think this has a lot to do with TOR. I think it has more to do with Blizzard realizing that WoW is 7 years old and that sooner or later it is going to need to release a new property... And until then, holding onto subscribers the best they can. And it really isn't a bad deal, since you can still pay monthly.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Its code for "We are losing a lot of subs cause we screwed up by passing WoW to our B team who promptly killed the game so please buy for a year to ride things out."

People will likely buy the 12 month deal just for Diablo 3 and then rarely ever play WoW. But Blizz can go to their press events with tons of inflated numbers again.
macnuke Afar
if i can't skin the enemy pandas.. i am will not be returning.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
People will likely buy the 12 month deal just for Diablo 3 and then rarely ever play WoW.

You would think that nerds, to blanket label us WoW gamers, would be smarter than that. $15 a month for 12 months is a heck of a lot more than the price of Diablo III.
From what I saw at Blizzcon 10, it was pretty obvious WoW was being put on the back burner. All the action was for D3. From their reactions I could tell they would pay a lot to play D3 all the time. Adding WoW sub for a year would just sweeten the deal.
Now, if you could ONLY get D3 wt a 12 month WoW sub, I would think it was a move to protect the cash cow :)
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I don't know about blizz. and their anti tor antics, but I do know that every time I hear more about tor, I want to buy a new computer.
I would certainly consider it for TOR. Coruscant when I got to it, was just...huge. If you want to feel like an ant, goto Coruscant in TOR. Theres a lot of players and npcs all over and I think its going to be rough on low end systems. The scale of things is just beyond what I've seen. It really feels like you are there in that giant city, specially when the fast travel options let you fly through it on a small craft. I put all the effects to max but the game had no SLI enabled yet so I had to turn SLI off. Bogged a bit in spots but it made the game soo much better looking being able to run it in max detail.
It won't happen, but I would LOVE to see a partnership between TOR and OnLive, so that the power of your local computer could stop being the bottleneck (if you have enough bandwidth).
TechnoBill Freakazoid
The lag would kill you in instances.
I've always wondered: why the OLD republic?

Isn't it rather odd to call upon a pseudo-nostalgia, especially since in terms of overall history you could tell the jedi in TOR: "Someday in your future your padawans and almost every one of your fellow jedi will be murdered by forces led by one who was once one of your own (but that's OK: it's all part of the balance from The Force)." Some comic had a similar idea about the "Land Before Time" animated series: "Hey kids! Come see these dino kids come together to help each other out BEFORE THEIR ENTIRE WORLD GETS WIPED OUT BY A WORLDWIDE CATACLYSM" (um, pun not intended, and yes, you could hear the capitals when this was said).

Why not the NEW republic? Set it a 50 or 100 years after the time of SW:VI after Luke and Leia (and possibly other survivors hidden away like Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda) had established a new jedi academy to train new jedi to help put down the remnants of the old empire, or something like that.
Because that was a different series of games already made. Why play a ww2 game when you already know America will be going to Iraq?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
The first 2 Old Republic games are very good, that's why. :D

The thing about doing something after Ep VI is that Darth Vader and the Emperor are no more. So where do you get a "good" bad guy?

Play Jedi Academy. It happens after Ep VI. Luke runs it. It works in OS X 10.6.8, don't know about Lion.
Having been burned a while back by a couple of bad games from LucasArts I generally ignore their titles.
KOTOR might be my favourite rpg series of all time.
TechnoBill wrote:
The lag would kill you in instances.

From TOR to OnLive or OnLive to you? I've generally found latency to not be a problem at all with OnLive.
The storylines after the New Republic takes over...are a bit controversial. I've heard more than one SW fan state they consider the series as ended after Ep VI credits roll. I took some time and looked into it. Yeah they are messy. Got a lot of things going on. Kids turning to the dark side, parents getting killed, universe goes to crap after the Empire folds. Republic has a heck of a time trying to regain control. Reads like a lot of doom and gloom writers got picked to write the follow up stories.

Old Republic is good because it sets things in a completely different time period but with lots of parallels to the original movies. Its set during the time where you had a lot of Jedi and Sith really making names for themselves. Plus it is set when the Sith Empire really did exist as a strong entity based around a race and ideal. In the movies you only have Sith being referred to as Dark Side users while the Empire is just the Empire. They are also rather few it seems, only Vader and Palpatine are prominently displayed as force users till the prequels. Old Republic you have Jedi and Sith battles happening all the time. So from this you have a similar Empire vs Rebels theme woven into it.

Old Republic builds on the strengths of the original movies while standing on their own via the time period differences.
Warin wrote:
I don't think this has a lot to do with TOR. I think it has more to do with Blizzard realizing that WoW is 7 years old and that sooner or later it is going to need to release a new property...

I don't think using an ancient engine helps their cause but than again some games with older engines are really fun to play like Mount & Blade Warbands, nothing like charging your mamalukes at a group of armies and than having a 200+ unit count battle unfold. I don't any of the current modern engines would handle mounted combat as realistic, same goes for WoW maybe their is no engine that is better suited for a MMO. At which point if you are a software team get coding the next gen engines of those types and you might land a cash cow licensing agrement.
I'd love a new mount and blade for what it's worth.

/me has windows 7 bootcamp and the only game installed is warbands.
The WoW engine is old but good and flexible. They just need to invest in updating it more than just an expansion at a time. As it sits WoW is a game filled with textures from 05 and stuff from 11. To do a complete overhaul, Blizz would have to pull the A team off Titan and put back on WoW. The B team which did Cata I have no trust in being able to do that. Cata was such a half assed expansion.

I've mentioned before, TOR is what WoW should have been a year ago, heck even two years ago. It uses a similar, if not the same, engine. But graphically it is real nice. It shows Blizzard could have really made WoW a lot better if they wanted to. Hiding behind their, keep it flexible for older machines, hasn't helped. Visually its the same but the game has gotten so complex and big in some areas that you'd be insane to try and run it on a PC that old. If Blizz would realize that and just bring the whole thing up to par, sure they'd maybe human waste off a handful, but they'd encourage a lot more to stay.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Blizzard Anti-TOR Tactics