Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Online now: No visible users
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
What the hell is skyrim, I keep hearing that word. Is this a MMORPH-whatever?
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

Psh, looks as bad has this

bratboy wrote:

Yes, in the Elder Scrolls series.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
bratboy wrote:

Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing... H?

Hoot?

Hog?

Hit?

;)
Um, isn't Skyrim a single-player game? It does take place in a huge game world and unlike many other games it doesn't have a set linear progression for players, but everything with which the player interacts is part of the game and doesn't involve any other players unlike actual MMORPGs like World of Warcraft or Halo.

It is also not available for Macs (which ends my interest).
Ah I may actually find that tolerable, at least if there is an ultimate goal beyond leveling up.
bratboy wrote:

No, it's very different. Single player.

RPG (Role playing game) where you develop your character in however ways you see fit, increasing the strength of certain characteristics depending on how you play. You can be a big burly sword-wielding maniac or a fearsome magician or a furry sneaky man-cat (like me) who sucks with a sword but is badass with a bow. There are endless possibilities.

You can also play the game however you want -- it's a whole world with a bajillion storylines and quests to follow, but you can just toss all the action and live a simple life in a town if you want. My wife actually makes leather goods and sells them for profit! Oh, she makes potions too. I have to admit it's excruciating to watch but she enjoys it. There's books to read, recipes to learn, dragons to slay, bandits to massacre, robots to demolish, wildlife to hunt ...

The whole world is so compelling that it's impossible not to be totally pulled in.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Hmmm...will it matter that I haven't played elder scrolls 1-4?
Nope. I didn't myself.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
you have to play 2 for anything to make sense. 1,3,4 are all nonsequitours.

yes, I'm stick fiddling with you, please don't go and buy daggerfall on this alone. (it is an awesome game though)

actually never mind, you do have to play 2!
Awright, who hit mmaverick with a Spell of Frenzied Confusion?
it's cool, it was just a scroll so there's not much chance of a repeat.
bratboy wrote:
Hmmm...will it matter that I haven't played elder scrolls 1-4?

The only other one in the series I've played was Oblivion and Skyrim is set several hundreds years after those events making it have no impact on the events that take place in this game. So all the previous older games are nulled, only story lines being briefly referenced to in the occasional random book. Or so has been my experience thus far.
I've seen occasional references to the other games, but nothing big.
yeah, there are a lot of references, but nothing important or even all that relevant to the actual story.
One source of disappointment for me is the way they handled all the books. They could've had some fun with them, made them more entertaining to read. I thought they'd be like the computer terminals in Fallout 3, which often told darkly humorous tales.
So I finally finished the main storyline. It was very cool to go to the Nord afterlife, but I was totally let down by how quickly we killed Alduin. Maybe my level was too high or something? I was at 34.

Anyway it was neat. But now I have to take a damn break from the game!
well, there will always be expansions :D
So much for my break. I've got a pile of unfinished quests to clear up!
getting lesbian married. ou might be stoned to death in America for doing it, but atleast there is skyrim.
Oh, I didn't realize you could get same-sex married, that's cool! Maybe I'll marry that grubby miner outside Rifkin. Though I'm a kajit, so it'll be same-sex and cross-species!

You best know I'll be pitching, baby.
you definitely should find yourself a man/woman to get tied to. He will start a little store in your house that you make a little money off, and you can sell all your wasteful iron daggers that you made then put dispell onto while you were leveling your black smithing and enchanting!
I'm widowed and so my spouse follows me around undead now via necromancy. It so happens that I married the Khajiit J'zargo from the mage college (added him to the potential marriageable faction via console click on him than type "addtofaction 19809 1") and thus he didn't have the 'spouse can't die tag' so all of a sudden on a quest he got shocked to death by a mage who was using lightening storm...
im now just about level 51, I guess it's time to do the main story.
Aaron_R wrote:
I'm widowed and so my spouse follows me around undead now via necromancy. It so happens that I married the Khajiit J'zargo from the mage college (added him to the potential marriageable faction via console click on him than type "addtofaction 19809 1") and thus he didn't have the 'spouse can't die tag' so all of a sudden on a quest he got shocked to death by a mage who was using lightening storm...

stick fiddling nuts!

But I want to find someone better to marry than the lioness.
They designed the AI so that if your follower goes down, they leave them alone, but the Faendol/Link/Legolas fellow I had following me kept dying over and over (and I kept reloading the previous save point) because he'd charge this draugr who had a battleaxe and even after dude was down, the draugr would swing to get me, and because I was right behind Faendol on the steps, he'd get Faendol too. It happened like three times in a row and the dude would die.

I gimped up a super-charged outfit for Aela, it turns out that if you drink a fortify restoration potion, it boosts all the stats on enchanted apparel. You can loop it out with fortify alchemy gear and then a fortify enchantment potion, so basically I made a batch of potions that for 30 seconds, items are enchanted 227318880% stronger. Thats too much for my character to use, but putting on her armor with a fortify healing/fortify healing rate makes her basically unkillable.*

I made money smithing daggers and enchanting them and selling them. If you give your follower weapons with soul trap and up to 29 petty soul gems, if you go out hunting wolves, your follower only needs to kill one and trap its soul to fill ALL the gems up. Also makes it easier to buy gear with enchantments you dont have the skill to craft yet. Alchemy is hard to level up on its own, but when I made a charged up fortify alchemy set, all the potions crafted were like a bazillion coin, so it leveled up super fast, like multiple levels at a time from one potion.

*I made a set of fortify smithing eenchanted equipment, and the stats were so high that the formula or whatever that calculates it made the game tell me that I didnt have the skill to smith any of the gear. I could only equip one piece, and the armor rating for the equipment I made for her was ungodly and priced at a couple million septims.
wow, that doesn't sound fun at all.
mmaverick wrote:
wow, that doesn't sound fun at all.

I like knowing that my follower isnt going to accidentally die. If the game came that way so that followers were all essential, I wouldnt complain. I still die all the time, in case you think I am playing the game "wrong."

Plus, I like seeing what the game lets you do in more ways than one. It wouldnt be TES without crazy exploits. I think its fun finding them and playing with them, but it isnt like I need to wear crazy powerful gear everywhere, and I dont think I could have even made those things until I had gradually gotten the perks etc that made it worth playing with. I dont know, I read reviews and people are all like "I made THIS and now the game sucks" but, who said you had to wear it? And I saw stuff like that and was like "wow, I gotta see if I can do that sometime." I mean, Mario Bros was not ruined for me when I found out there was a trick to getting infinite lives.
yeah, but I didn't get infinite lives in Mario until I'd already beaten Mario.
I didn't make my stuff until I was level 42. I don't think you can beat the game, but if it's at all like oblivion, I will be playing it over and over on a variety of characters and goals, and that's fun enough for me.
I'm not sure I've made anything yet.

Right now I wanna get married -- but to whom? It's a big decision for a humanoid cat!
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
I'm not sure I've made anything yet.

Right now I wanna get married -- but to whom? It's a big decision for a humanoid cat!

The companions make pretty good choices. My elf married Aela. She opened a store at home and sold stuff to me and gave me money every day whether I bought anything or not. She is an archery trainer and can be used as a follower, which means I can take her along and anywhere I sleep I get the lovers comfort bonus, plus she is one of the people who gives you jobs for companions stuff.
Okay, I'm officially fed up with the draugrs. I mean seriously, enough already.
You can pretty much tell, which ones are going to come to life and try to get you, if you are fast enough, you can power attack them before they wake up and kill them like that. Or use a paralyze spell on them and before they get up your followers will beat them to death.
I just sneak around and stabby stabby.
Oh yeah, I get that. I'm not tired of them from the point of view of them being a threat anymore, because they're not. Level 100 sneak and level 100 archery and all that.

I'm just bored of them. I want more Dwarven ruins!
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Just started yesterday. Lvl 4 now. Have my first soul gems, power word and enchanted weapon (frost damage). Stopped after returning the Golden Claw.

Jr started his game today.

A couple questions:
First I didn't RTFM. This game feels so much like FO3 I didn't think I needed to since FO3 was very intuitive.
Stealing stuff. In FO3 I didn't and kept a saintly rep. How does it work in Skyrim? Accidentally killed a chicken in town and the whole motherfracking town came after me! (reload save) Also picked the cellar lock on some old coot's house (Adel? Or Something like that) and wasted her off for finding her 'secret'. She attacked and I had to kill her (I didn't want to).

Generally I play a good(ish) guy. In FO3 you got a nasty sound bite when you did something bad. I'm not getting that here. So I'm thinking all is good (if you don't get caught). Is that a fair assessment?
Yeah, there's not really any karma in Skyrim like there was in FO3. But hurting chickens is bad. Real bad.

Also be careful with those shouts. If you hit soldiers they'll turn on you.

However, when towns turn on you, you can often just put away your weapons (hit X) and let them arrest you. Pay the bounty and you're fine.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I want all the Elder Scrolls games. I want them on the Wii!
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Yeah, there's not really any karma in Skyrim like there was in FO3. But hurting chickens is bad. Real bad.

You mean like Zelda bad?
Quote:
Also be careful with those shouts. If you hit soldiers they'll turn on you.

Sort of like in real life
Quote:
However, when towns turn on you, you can often just put away your weapons (hit X) and let them arrest you. Pay the bounty and you're fine.

Sort of like not in real life
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7