Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, j_tso, Majestic-12 [Bot]
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
my wife loved to cook in Skyrim.

Mine stopped. :(
Googled it and I'm not alone. Some say it's a bug, others say it's by design. That the player did something wrong and the SO is wasted.

Dunno, all I know is the option for a home cooked meal is gone.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Mining for iron fail.
user Stupid cockwomble
Remember my horse, Frost? I got him as part of a quest to steal him for a guy in Riften but my speechcraft was high enough to talk the guy (name of Louis) into letting me keep the horse.

The weird thing is that whenever I fast travel to Whiterun (not Riften) and then go out to the stable to get Frost, Louis is always standing right next to him. He won't talk to me beyond the standard w'sup and when I get on the horse, he stands there looking up at me.

Good thing he doesn't follow or else I'd have to whack his ass.
user Stupid cockwomble
I think I'm going to have to get on with the main quest, as well. I've tried two quests that involved leaving behind my follower and I'm getting my butt kicked by lord death draugs because I've leveled up too far. I've had to get out of those quests altogether.

I'm already thinking of how I'll replay the game anyway.
user Stupid cockwomble
While I was ducking behind a boulder beside a road to avoid a dragon's flames, some uncouth individual came up and tried to rob me. I tried to tell him that I literally didn't have the time for that, but he attacked and the dragon smoked us both.

Idiot.

Here's something hilarious: Lydia had been running around in some clunky Dwarven armor, so when I found a nice set of Blades armor, I gave her the good steel armor that I had been wearing. After she put it on I noticed that it had a MUCH better set of tits on it than when I was wearing it.
Yeah, I've played with 4 charters already. The 1st time I played I didn't know what I was doing or how to put a proper build together, it was just a lets wet my feet guy, and I think I was a wood elf wizard. Than I started a game with a Khajiit that has a stealthy insane backstab, 1 dagger slice KO for thieves guild/dark brotherhood quest lines and a Red Guard brawler with a war hammer for companions and civil war quest lines.

Current play through is a Breton dual sword wielding battle mage (as you level up, even if you kept a steel dagger and armour equipped your protection/damage will level as your one handed/armour skill goes up. For some reason this isn't so with magic [a 15 damage spell at level 3 destruction will still be 15 damage at level 100 destruction] so look into one of the many magic scaling mods to make this work) for the Winterhold, Blades and Dovahkiin quest lines.

Also thank god for Live Another Life. If I were on a console playing I don't think I'd have explored all the quest lines with different characters since I'd had to sit through that torturish hour intro each game (okay if you run past everything w/o dying you could get to riverwood in 30min but still.)
Aaron_R wrote:
Current play through is a Breton dual sword wielding battle mage (as you level up, even if you kept a steel dagger and armour equipped your protection/damage will level as your one handed/armour skill goes up. For some reason this isn't so with magic [a 15 damage spell at level 3 destruction will still be 15 damage at level 100 destruction] so look into one of the many magic scaling mods to make this work) for the Winterhold, Blades and Dovahkiin quest lines.

No need for a mod, you just have to play the game differently. Since it wont level, use enchanting to give your character 100% spell reduction, or get your alchemy up and use potions to boost the damage spells have.

One of the funny things about the fortify restoration potions is that drinking them will boost skill enchantments on clothing and armor. So, even without making crazy enchanted items that naturally have a 100% spell reduction, you can get close to that with a bought item and a decent fortify restoration potion. The other thing about it, is that even after the effect is supposed to wear off and the game displays the normal value of enchantment on the clothing, the effect will actually stay on until you stop wearing it, so you need only drink it once if you want to keep the effect going.
user Stupid cockwomble
Dropped by my house in Solitude and went all over the place looking for my wife. Just as I was wondering WTF, did she run off, I checked in the room that I guess is supposed to be the housecarl's room in the basement. Usually when you make Thane that room gets cleaned up and outfitted with furniture, but there's a glitch in the game, it seems, and the room still only has the same old uncomfortable looking bedroll on the stone floor.

Wifey was sleeping on that damn dusty roll instead of the NICE 4-poster bed upstairs. Makes me wonder what's been going on with the NPCs while I'm away.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
That room in my game has a complete forge in it, including the smelter.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... /?id=16468
user Stupid cockwomble
But whatever do the neighbors think? The Bards College must hate the noise, smoke and smell.

That's pretty cool, though. I've been thinking that I'd like to get only one house next playthrough and that I'd like it to be Proudspire. Having my own smelter and blacksmith shop in it would be bonus.

I wonder if anyone is going to come up with an editor for the PS3 version?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
user wrote:
But whatever do the neighbors think? The Bards College must hate the noise, smoke and smell.

That's pretty cool, though. I've been thinking that I'd like to get only one house next playthrough and that I'd like it to be Proudspire. Having my own smelter and blacksmith shop in it would be bonus.

I wonder if anyone is going to come up with an editor for the PS3 version?

I really doubt it, mostly because of Sony.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2660211

My other favorite is this one.
Basement that is connected to all houses, the thieves guild, arch-mage quarters and the companion barracks.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... s/?id=7611
user Stupid cockwomble
Finished the main quest, just got back from Norse heaven and I was tooling around the Mage College thinking about enchanting a new pair of shoes and damn if an Elder Dragon jumps me in the courtyard!

I thought I was through with those guys.
user wrote:
Finished the main quest, just got back from Norse heaven and I was tooling around the Mage College thinking about enchanting a new pair of shoes and damn if an Elder Dragon jumps me in the courtyard!

I thought I was through with those guys.

'Fraid not. Though they do become a lot less frequent. Plus they should be easier to kill by now.
user Stupid cockwomble
I tried calling for my new dragon buddy to give me a hand but he didn't show.

Just can't trust those flying lizards.

I had another character that I'd been keeping at a low level so I could explore a few quests. He was about level 24 and I'd gone through getting the Elder Scroll, then I stick fiddled up exploiting that OI book to raise my skills. After I finally put the book on the shelf I was at level 69. Holy crap.

I've got a save from before I started reading the book, so I might just keep playing a bit to see what happens. I understand that the buggers stop leveling up at 50, so maybe I'm at an advantage. The problem is is that I don't have many shouts and all of my spells were painfully low.
user Stupid cockwomble
OK, one thing: now my horse is totally USELESS. I keep having to save his ass, which usually means leaving him behind. I need to go earn Shadowmere.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
Mounted combat will be coming soon, it seems. Now all they need to add is a shout that calls your horse.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
belloq451 wrote:
Mounted combat will be coming soon, it seems. Now all they need to add is a shout that calls your horse.

I am downloading the beta for it right now, will check it out a little later.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
It is still buggy, when I draw my weapon I stand up on the horse and it definitely does a lot of CTD.
Oooh, horsey-fighting, that'll be cool. Always thought it was a dumb oversight.
Oh, also you can get an autographed (while supplies last) copy of the Skyrim OST for $30. (It's a right steal, especially since it's 4 discs, and it retails for around $60 on Amazon.) Can't wait for mine to arrive!

:D
user Stupid cockwomble
Man, if I played that music on my stereo, I'd keep twitching for my controller.
user wrote:
Man, if I played that music on my stereo, I'd keep twitching for my controller.

Me too!
You're right, but I find the background music doesn't really get a chance to play before it gets interrupted by other music (for eg, when you encounter a wolf or bear or something) and then the music has to start over.
user Stupid cockwomble
Just stand in one spot and run the "finger-snapping" mod.
Orion Mad Cow
Finally bought this game today. Been downloading since 10:00 this morning, its now 4pm and its about 97% done. Been waiting with anticipation since I clicked "Install" on Steam. Any tips for a newbie? I've played FO3 and FO:NV, so I think I have the basics of how the game works down, but the setting and storyline are completely different. Anyone still playing this?
user Stupid cockwomble
It's a gorgeous game. I'm still playing it now because it's so beautiful. The character tree is MUCH easier to work with than the earlier games.

If you want to quickly be an accomplished archer, when you get to Riverwood, resolve the Camilla/Sven/Faendal love triangle in Faendal's favor (tell Camilla the truth) and you can ask him to follow you. He's an archery trainer that can train you up to 50 but, since he's a follower, you can take your money back from his inventory. Followers are also good for distracting enemies and carrying stuff for you - just drop it on the ground and tell him/her to pick it up - infinite carry! He's kinda weak, though...you get Lydia a little later on and you can probably use her for the rest of the game. Give her a circlet and a hat and she wears them according to the temperature.

The UESP wiki is a fantastic source of information about the game.
First mod to install would be this one.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18340

Will give you access to everything at any house you live in.
Orion Mad Cow
Call me "Orion, Dragon Slayer"! Muwahahahahahahah! Killed the first dragon last night. Got my first shout too! My two handed skill is about 40 now because I have been bashing the crap out of every bandit I can find. Retrieving the dragon stone thingy helped too. Found those stones that give you extra fast skill upgrades and activated that. Can't wait until I get in from milking tonight! I'll probably play till the wee hours of the morning and then regret it tomorrow... :heh:
user Stupid cockwomble
There's a Standing Stone up on the long ridge North of Solitude that's called the "Steed Stone". It increases your carry power dramatically and is one of my early goals in the game. Once you find it, memorize the spot.
TOS
i'm all about the sneak and the archery
user Stupid cockwomble
I have Hearthfire and go right away for the Lakeview mansion.

I stick the wife and kids in Solitude though. Solitude is the only house with a decent kid's room. The girls break my heart so I just have to adopt them (follow the Windhelm girl to her sleeping perch sometime). I marry Ysolda so I won't feel like a bastard leaving them home alone (and Ysolda doesn't have a lot of annoying pre-marriage dialog). That way my Mansion is nice and quiet and I don't have to worry about bandits, giants and bears taking out the wife.

Of course, in the PC version, there's all the mods, so you don't have to rely on a gimpy inflexible house. I'd like to get the PC version just to explore some of those mods but I don't want to pay full-price. Just checked and it's still selling for $60 - amazing for a game that came out in 2011.
user Stupid cockwomble
Another protip: there's a player accessible merchant chest in Dawnstar in the ground next to the left side of the iron mine entrance. It belongs to the Kat caravan and refills every ten days. I take everything and dump the extra behind the house on the left. It's away from the guard's sense range so they never fuss at me about dropping weapons. By the end of the game I have quite a stash dump piled up there.

There's enough money to be made there that I don't use any of the other money-making exploits anymore.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
user wrote:
I have Hearthfire and go right away for the Lakeview mansion.

I stick the wife and kids in Solitude though. Solitude is the only house with a decent kid's room. The girls break my heart so I just have to adopt them (follow the Windhelm girl to her sleeping perch sometime). I marry Ysolda so I won't feel like a bastard leaving them home alone (and Ysolda doesn't have a lot of annoying pre-marriage dialog). That way my Mansion is nice and quiet and I don't have to worry about bandits, giants and bears taking out the wife.

Of course, in the PC version, there's all the mods, so you don't have to rely on a gimpy inflexible house. I'd like to get the PC version just to explore some of those mods but I don't want to pay full-price. Just checked and it's still selling for $60 - amazing for a game that came out in 2011.

I installed a mod that allows me to have 6 adopted kids. I build the bedroom wing and also have the beds upstairs as well.

I build with the bedroom wing, the store room and armory as that give me a wrap around deck outside.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeesh. That's a lot of dolls and wooden swords to find!

I just wish the Hearthfire land plots were better spread across Skyrim. Two of them are close together, right in the snow. It would have been real nice if one of them had been in the Ivarstead area.
dv
Wait... so they turned Skyrim into The Sims?
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
user wrote:

On the upside, there are still Morrowind modding groups still active. Odds are pretty good that Skyrim modders will be around for a decade or so too.
dv wrote:
Wait... so they turned Skyrim into The Sims?

Apparently.
user Stupid cockwomble
You should see the hot tub in my mansion.
I usually build a character focussed on sneak and archery, but I round it out by selecting altmer as my race for the boost in magicka and by periodically making potions. Alchemy is a great way to make money in the game and the potions boost any skill you want.

Two awesome tips:

Fresh out of the gate, I make a beeline for Fort Amol Prison. To get there, follow the river in Riverwood all the way down to the waterfall past Valtheim Towers, and keep following it to near Darkwater Crossing. Ft Amol Prison is full of mages, but they are kinda weak especially at early levels. Inside the prison, in the corner by a shelf, is a bucket with a lantern in it. After battling the two mages in there, lift the lantern and there is a Bound Bow spell tome. Its a high level spell you wouldnt normally get until your conjuration skill is at level 40-45. If you are an Altmer, you can just barely cast it when wearing the novice hood that boosts your magicka. Or you can make Elsewere Fondue. Anyway, the bow is crazy powerful. If you get the Mystic Binding perk in the conjuration tree, its damage is higher than a Daedric bow smithed to exquisite quality!

Another great thing about the trip there is catching fish in the river. Just about all fish have great alchemy properties, but if you catch salmon jumping in the air in the white water mini falls all along the river in Riverwood (and only if you also have Hearthfire installed), you not only get salmon meat, but you also collect salmon roe. Salmon roe is an ingredient that gives you incredibly expensive potions, which means it also will give you the greatest increase in your alchemy skill (alchemy advances according to the price of the created potion). Salmon roe + Histcarp + Garlic creates the most expensive potion in the game.
user Stupid cockwomble
Hmmm...I've never bothered much with alchemy beyond making a basic health restore potion early in the game because I find more potions out in the world than I can use (I always end up with a chest full of potions that I've had to dump for weight issues rather than selling them). It always seemed so difficult to figure out the formulas.

The bound bow is a nice find early in the game. I'll have to see if I can do that if I start another game. I usually struggle through the game with the best bow out of whatever I find and I'm happy when I find that next step in the quality tree. Usually, I don't find the Bow tome at all or so late in the game, there's no point in using it.

It would be nice to have a bow with zero weight. In Oblivion, which I'm now playing for the first time, I have a full set of Bound Armor. Daedric quality, zero weight. I can carry extras with me as replacements when the armor degrades too much.

However, I'm fond of enchanting my weapons and that's the tree that I tend to work on. Can't add fire damage to a Bound Bow.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7