Repurposing a PS3 BluRay drive.

Online now: No visible users
If this is the wrong area many humble apologies.

Does anyone know if a PS3 Bluray drive can be taken from a non working machine and then placed in a external case or anything to get it to work on a TV or a PC? I haven't owned a console since the early Xbox and have not kept up on them at all. Someone is offering me a broken PS3 now for 50 bucks it looks like it could be fixed with some thermal paste and a heat gun but that looks like a temp solution and frankly I dont see myself buying any games for it but like the bluray potential. Is this possible? Thanks.
I don't know, but I suspect the optical drive isn't really swappable -- there's probably a proprietary interface of some kind. I doubt you'd be able to find a case that would support it.
That is what I suspected but I have never even laid eyes on a PS3 outside of a store.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I just ended up buying a BluRay drive and putting it into my HTPC.

I still only have 5 BD disks after 10 months.
user Stupid cockwomble
So many BRDs are questionable re-imaging of older movies. My collection is pretty small, too, but I'd buy anything Pixar on BRD. I still need to pick up a copy of The Incredibles on BRD.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
May want to open it up and check. The PS3 is pretty friendly on using any HD you want. Very well possibly could be that it has a standard SATA interface. The question would be, is the machine really not working due to other hardware failure or is it really BD drive failure? I have heard that those drives failing are a known issue. Never as much regarding heat. Unlike the 360s.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
May want to open it up and check. The PS3 is pretty friendly on using any HD you want. Very well possibly could be that it has a standard SATA interface. The question would be, is the machine really not working due to other hardware failure or is it really BD drive failure? I have heard that those drives failing are a known issue. Never as much regarding heat. Unlike the 360s.

Sounds like it overheated and cooked itself to death. I am going to head over this weekend and take a gander to tell for sure.
NoExit Vote for Dan
dosnt look easy its not like its got a standard SATA port...
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
NoExit wrote:

Wait for someone to come out with an adapter. It appears to be a standard PATA drive instead. Kind of odd, really - SATA would have made the controller much smaller, and allowed for simpler cabling.
dv
radarman wrote:
NoExit wrote:

Wait for someone to come out with an adapter. It appears to be a standard PATA drive instead. Kind of odd, really - SATA would have made the controller much smaller, and allowed for simpler cabling.

PS3 was first sold in 2006. Hardware was probably finalized sooner. We were still buying new computers with PATA optical drives in 2007.

:shrug:

I suppose the newer ones might be SATA, but...?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Take it apart and use the laser to shoot things.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Repurposing a PS3 BluRay drive.