Runes of Magic

Online now: Google [Bot]
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I just downloaded the install files for Runes of Magic. It is a free to play MMORPG.

The install files were 8.3GB!!

Anyways, I'm gonna give it a whirl and see if it is worth playing for a while.

Anybody have any personal experience with it? What's your verdict?

The screenshots look pretty good to me and the gameplay seems to be fairly similar to WoW according to the user guide. I guess I'll see in a few minutes just how fun the game is.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I have played about two hours so far and I find it to be an enjoyable game.

I don't see where it is much different from WoW as far as style of play, controls, and character classes go. It is very much consistent with WoW.

But it is free to play. Essentially. I'm sure there will come a point in the game that to advance you will either need to make microtransactions or subscribe. I'll deal with that bridge when I arrive there though. That is if I arrive there.

All in all, it has proven itself to be a decent time waster and that is okay by me.
Lord of the Rings Online is an awesome F2P MMO as well. Supposedly sometime this month, DC Universe Online is going F2P as well. I think a lot of companies are finding that microtransactions and "Premium" memberships are just as, if not more, profitable than straight paid subscriptions.

I am waiting for The Old Republic to get my MMO back on.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I will have to check out Lord of the Rings Online. I keep forgetting about it for some reason.

I've been waiting for DC Universe Online to switch over too. That looks like a fun game to try.

I am unsure about The Old Republic. I wanna wait and see what the actual user reviews are like before sinking my money into it. I bought the Collector's Edition of the Conan MMORPG only to discover that it was buggy, unfinished, and had wasteful gameplay. I went off the hyped up reviews and got screwed. I'm not saying that this will be the case with The Old Republic but I'm gun shy about being the first one to buy as a result.

I found that Walmart is selling Runes of Magic on DVD for $15 and including items you can't get otherwise for in-game use.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Runes-Of-Magi ... s/17164514

When I was at Walmart earlier I looked and they didn't have it or even a spot for it on the shelf. Oh well. I probably shouldn't invest any money into the game until I'm sure I'm going to actually stick with playing it.

I'm going to go download Lord of the Rings Online now and give it a whirl.
Just FYI: World of Warcraft has a free-to-play starter edition which is not limited to only a month of free play like their old trial program. In the starter edition you can play for as long as you want but once your characters reach level 20 they gain no more experience and thus cannot increase their levels if you do not opt for a regular subscription.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Got a friend who played some of Old Republic beta on another friend's comp. Lets just say it solidified his reasoning for buying the $150 CE of TOR. It is going to be very worth checking out.

LOTRO, yeah its good. I could never get into it that far. When I played it I had a month sub. Got to level 25 or so and I could not find or get groups to do anything. The playerbase was practically dead. Then it went free so I came back to check it out. Sure I could get groups but so much of the content is closed unless I pay for it. Decided right away, not worth my time.

STO is going F2P too, I'd recommend checking into it because all the content is going to be open. The charges will only be on slots, money caps, and some basic things along with the store items. Nothing that would hinder you from completing the game or reaching endgame. This is the way F2P should be. But honestly, I'd prolly still opt for a sub if I was going to play it seriously. Because my character is max level and some of the pay for benefits will be for them. You literally need the caps lifted to avoid some hassles at max level.
I might actually give STO another chance then! I just didnt want to pay for a subscription, but I can see doing some microtransaction stuff to get cool gear.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Runes of Magic