TOR is set!

Online now: No visible users
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
12/20/11

We have our launch date! The Old Republic is going to be out in time for Christmas!!

Well, there goes my $150 :D

Last edited by NightCougar of the Dawn on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm.

arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Too bad I don't do MMORPG, I loved the first 2 games of the old republic.

But I like single player games only.
Yeah I'd rather have SP too but on the plus side, TOR Is set to be more story driven. It'll play like WoW but with KOTOR style story you have to follow. Actions you make will affect the outcome of a storyline. So literally you could do the same quest many times and see different dialogue or endings based on how you responded. This is similar to STO and others like it. STO just started adding variable quests last year in one of the seasons.

Overall after being in WoW for years, I kinda started to like the story approach more. WoW had story for sure but much of the time I'd play it and people would just rush through it. Your actions didn't really change anything and all quests were the same variables. Got to be there was no point in doing the quest because you really felt nothing for the characters.

Then you also have companion characters in TOR like KOTOR. STO had this in the form of officers and it was real helpful. But I know TOR is taking it a step further and really making them personal to each character. They even have dialogue and interaction options. In a way, TOR is kinda like multiplayer version of KOTOR.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
Yeah I'd rather have SP too but on the plus side, TOR Is set to be more story driven. It'll play like WoW but with KOTOR style story you have to follow. Actions you make will affect the outcome of a storyline. So literally you could do the same quest many times and see different dialogue or endings based on how you responded. This is similar to STO and others like it. STO just started adding variable quests last year in one of the seasons.

Overall after being in WoW for years, I kinda started to like the story approach more. WoW had story for sure but much of the time I'd play it and people would just rush through it. Your actions didn't really change anything and all quests were the same variables. Got to be there was no point in doing the quest because you really felt nothing for the characters.

Then you also have companion characters in TOR like KOTOR. STO had this in the form of officers and it was real helpful. But I know TOR is taking it a step further and really making them personal to each character. They even have dialogue and interaction options. In a way, TOR is kinda like multiplayer version of KOTOR.

Did STO ever start to not suck? I really did try to give that game a chance, but damn was it ever boring.
dv
STO didn't suck, per se, but it probably should have been released with enough content that you couldn't grind to top tier ships in 3 days.

And it needed more than a half dozen identical non-questline missions.

And it needed better PvP.

Okay, so it was boring.

It was play-for-free-buy-gold fun, not at WoW's level.
If you last played at launch, pick it up for a month and try it now. They added a bit more endgame content. Some of the missions are real good with some neat rewards. The visuals of fluidic space in the Undine missions are worth seeing. I picked it back up for a few months then canceled again because I didn't care to pursue the endgame any further till they fixed the ship class system. Which is in the works. I want max tier Akira dagnabbit!! They just did a reworking of the ground combat but I haven't tried that or the most recent episode. With TOR launching I have been totally focused on that. Then they also announced it will go F2P so...I might as well wait for that.
Is there any word on when STO will be free to play? I'm keen to try it again.
Haven't caught anything since the announcement. I do know its coming this year.
STO

Star Trek Online?

There's this

http://startrek-is.com/
"You Have Been Selected to Test STAR WARS: The Old Republic!"

The most sweetest line to see in your mail box!!

I'll update with my impressions and such when I get into it this weekend. Maybe post a few screenshots.
NightCougar of the Dawn wrote:
"You Have Been Selected to Test STAR WARS: The Old Republic!"

The most sweetest line to see in your mail box!!

I'll update with my impressions and such when I get into it this weekend. Maybe post a few screenshots.

I loathe you! Why oh why cant I get this email.

I would even settle for a “YOu can now joing the Diablo III Beta!” sort of email.
I feel that pain. I've been watching it for months but today has made up for it...sorta. Hopefully you'll get in next week!

There is an NDA listed still on the TOR beta. I don't know why. They've demoed it multiple times and information is literally leaking out all over the place. There is nothing they could really hide. I'll make sure not to spoil it with anything I post.
My buddy just got into the beta as well. 4 days after his computer screwed the pooch...
dv
mmaverick wrote:
My buddy just got into the beta as well. 4 days after his computer screwed the pooch...

That's plenty of time to fix it.
He bought a new one, but he says it's going to take 3 weeks to get to him.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Who did he buy it from, because that is ridiculous.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
arkayn wrote:
Who did he buy it from, because that is ridiculous.

How do you figure? He could have bought a custom machine from a company that does quality work.
Have him contact Bioware. Explain the situation and see if they can reissue him a key later.
He probably should have done that. Instead he apparently gave it off to a wow guild mate of his.
Well, I'll let one hint go here. If you've played WoW on an opening weekend for a new expansion. You know the issues that come up. TOR has the same issues. Its obviously a beta still. But you can see why they might limit the amount of copies at launch. They got some tuning to do too.

The way they do it is better than Blizzard. In LK beta you had to open something to submit to blizz on any bugs. In TOR, you fill one out often at each step, end of quests/etc. Bioware is clearly trying to make sure they take care of things. It isn't a half assed beta.
Well, now something more meaty. What you see on the vids BW has up, is actually how it looks right now. Hasn't been any big changes from what I can tell. There is not a whole lot of info I could add to what BW already has posted. It won't be steamroll leveling, least not yet. Pace is slower. Everything is clearly very story driven. In fact, I think Blizz did the quests in Cata the way they did in prep for TOR. Similarities are there, cept you get options on responses like in most BW games. Things do move in a linear fashion. Although I am still on the first world. It should open up more past that, they are making a lot of worlds to go to.

Everything is voiced of course, and for the amount of money they spent, it is excellent. You get a lot more emotion in the story than you could a text based game.

Visually, the game is where WoW should have been a year ago. It is a good few steps above WoW but it is still somewhat toonish. Where WoW is very dated and is struggling to increase visuals without losing too many players, TOR will be a completely fresh beginning. Everything is new and you don't see high res textures mixed with low. Or old models mixed with new. But, visually it looks like the game could be doable on a console so its not Crysis level visuals.

Gameplay...it handles like WoW. Thats the standard set. But the abilities and classes are quite different. Again, the game feels like what WoW should have been a year ago.

I don't see how BW can say they aren't taking on Blizz. The game is clearly engineered to create an environment that is familiar to WoW players but very improved. If TOR doesn't cause Blizz to scramble to improve WoW, I'll be surprised. I don't think BW is going to lose sleep about stealing WoW players. But it is going to depend on endgame, and with the leveling pace, there is no way i'll be able to get near that before the weekend is up.

Early reports that leaked by disgruntled employees about TOR going to fail from the money spent on it, are totally debunked now that I've seen it. They are doing a good job. Labor of love compared to what Blizz has churned out this last year. Heck the beta itself is in a much more presentable state than what I saw Blizz do with LK. I haven't found any game ending bugs yet, just minor glitches/etc. Bottomline, I feel my $150 spent on TOR is worth it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Beta weekend over :(

Best 2 days of it was rolling a Smuggler. Oh it was fun. I won't ruin the story, its worth the game purchase just to play all the stories in TOR. I will say, the Dirty Kick move...pure gold. They even give it a crunch sound that makes you wince when you see the foot being driven into an npc's lower quarters.

Got two toons to level 10 which is when you get the advanced classes. You can check out the trees on the site. In game they really make it seem like you have a lot of options to decide on. Each class has 6 ways to play them.

I did the first flashpoint twice. Its called Esseles. Some very good times. Boss fights are not tank n spank but they aren't overly hard for noob players. The conversation options are wonderful. Each time I played Esse, I got to see different conversation outcomes. Think there will be some nice replay value in this.
Woohoo! I get to play the beta this weekend :D

My son will be terribly jealous... but then he has Skyrim to keep him busy come friday morning.
Friend of mine got in too. Awesome news!!

Be sure to do Esseles more than once!! Only hints i'll give you on bosses is...lightning=bad, take out adds, control damage taken, and bring a healer or 2. At least one of the fights made me wish the group had a 2nd class which could help throw a heal at times.

You going to roll more than one class like I did or stick with just one? I think you get your own star ship at...oh...level 15-20. Not 100% sure, I know one class gets it earlier than the others. I didn't get to see that content. Ran out of time having fun! :D
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

TOR is set!