Aybody around these parts play Minecraft?

Online now: Google [Bot]
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
It's kind of like playing with LEGO (complete with low-res graphics,) except instead of the god in the clouds you are a Legoman washed up on the beach of a strange and wonderful island chain. And every night zombies come out and try to kill you.

One of the main points of the game is to build stuff, and while I haven't attempted anything more fancy than a walled-off fortress (yet,) some nerds are so socially inept have so much free time that they can build truly amazing things.

EDIT: is there no way to strikethrough text on this forum? for shame.

Last edited by arkayn on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 am. fixed the strikethrough

Use "del" for strikethrough: strikethrough.

Having seen some YouTube videos of some of the more advanced structures, I think that it is pretty amazing how some people can be so creative considering the limited palette of materials.

On the other hand I've never seen the point of playing Minecraft other than being a contrarian to the visually more realistic games like Halo. While I have seen some videos which had some zombies in them, up until your post here I haven't understood that it was a reason for construction.
Mr. T Dude extraordinaire
I, too, am familiar with Minecraft, but never actually committed to playing with it. I saw a video of some dude who built the Starship Enterprise. That is some serious ADD.
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
Nah if it was ADD he'd make a hull plate then move onto something else his mind jumped to. To go about building something like that is just fanatical.

I don't find it so unusual. Remember all the MS paint people years back? Creating works of art out of a very basic art program.

Heck I'd sit in Forge for hours and days meticulously crafting a Marathon level and taking the engine as far as I could before transparent polygon lines broke it. Those didn't have that huge of a texture pallet to start either. Got to the point I'd design ways around that and make some real complex maps all by utilizing angles properly to avoid those limitations of the engine. Staircases were always hard because making one in an open room would usually push the polygon limit if you wanted to add other stuff in it, why Marathon had a lot of lifts and such with carefully placed stairs. But when you wanted a certain look, had to make stairs. Pyramids were tough like this because you had to make a step grade. Then you'd have a massive open area around it and four sides to worry about. Took time but I finally figured out how to do them without the engine flipping out.

Yes I was very fanatical about Forge. Passed up a lot of things back in HS to just sit there building. As for Minecraft, nah. Haven't seen the point to it. I've played with legos plenty and spent my time building worlds. I don't do that stuff anymore.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I'd probably check it out if it were free.

Doesn't look enticing enough to me to drop $22 on it at this point in time.
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
There is Minecraft Classic available on minecraft.net. It's an older version, but it is free.

Ah, so like this. Rad.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Aybody around these parts play Minecraft?